Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) (36032 Views)

Students 'Tied To Cross And Whipped' In Ogun For Being Late / Enugu Police Arrest Primary School Students For Not Doing Assignments(pics) / 8-Year-Old Pupil Arrested In Ogun For Reporting His Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by Swissheart(f): 8:57am On Feb 12, 2016

Aren't Nigerian teachers frustrated?
..... Not all teachers are frustrated

1 Like

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by nairalandbuzz(m): 9:09am On Feb 12, 2016
[size=18pt]All of you saying the teacher did the wrong thing are nothing but m@d...

Did you notice that South-East and the North have taken the pace in NECO, WAEC and recent inventions?

Five Open Heart Surgeries was performed at one hospital in the east and you say the teacher aint right?

This is where it starts from....

Olodo oshi... Why didn't he work on his assignment and the gullible elder told him to wait while he/she takes his celestial picture...

Konidafunyin....

Stop derailing these kids... They are meant to study....

My son kukuma know sha... reluctancy to do homework is total beating...

Stupidity of the highest order[/size]
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by ironkurtain(m): 9:25am On Feb 12, 2016
dominusgai:
The problem is, nigerians just act stupid at times. If not for the floggin given to people. They would have been worse for it. Nigerian parents of these days spend less dan 4 hours with their kids, put all the child training on the teachers and expect the teacher not to use the cane, that is stupidity. And ur kind might not even be able to handle the children during holidays, and cannot wait for school to resume before sending ur child to school. I can comfortably say that children of this generation will have it rough because they are highly disrespectful and they are not disciplined. Look at the marks. Do u really believe this was done because a child did not do his homework once. As one person said previously, the child would have a pepetual habit of not doing his homework. And for those always trying to put the blame of not doing the home work on the teacher. How foolish of u. U are the kind that will find excuses for children that goes to steal. The parents that cannot ensure their child do their home work is as irresponsible as the child and has shown that they don't check the childs note after school. I for one cannot take my child to a school they don't flog. And I will stand by this word, if not for flogging, nigeria would have been worse than it is. Or just tell me, what do u think will be the solution for a child that does not do the homework regularly. Won't u be the first to complain if the child fails at the end of the term

Mr man before you rant your invalid opinion here first of all go and check the differences between training a child and abusing a child. The kid is only ten years old for crying out loud. He got flogged like this because he didnt do his homework. So if it was something more than not doing his homework, the teacher will cut the child's head off and kick it to his or her parents house. My grand father once told me that his own grand father said that stubborn kids were sold into slavery and it was accepted during that time. Why dont you sell your own kid into slavery for being stubborn and you will see how fast you will make the headline news because of the way the police and your neighbors handled you that day. Infact, from the way you are responding to people's comments, you might be one of those teachers who take out their frustrations on kids because their job and life in general sucks. If you are still living in some cavemen century, let me update you on how the world is at present. These days there are programs for stubborn kids so that you dont have to literally kill the child to make him or her behave. If you have to cane the child, then do it with moderation according to what the child had done. What that teacher did to this child shows the kind of person he is. He is the kind of man that beats his wife at home when he is not in school brutalizing someones kid.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by gemale(m): 10:20am On Feb 12, 2016
linearity:

That is how we grew up and learned in Nigeria then and we are better for it.

In fact, it came to a point that, we mastered various methods of enduring those canes without showing any sign and emotions and after the ordeal, look at how your fellow guys and girls will be congratulating you to the disdain of the teacher, sometimes the teacher will even be feeling shameful if we did not show any emotions despite their best efforts.

I got lots of bragging rights then, today's kids are aja butter, imagine how no one is talking about the kid's failure to do his assigment, even the bible said; spare the rod and spoil the child.
So dey shld kill him because of assignment abi? Abeg how many pple did all d assignments dey were given in skul? Stop defending evil. Dts gross physical abuse. So even if d teacher must beat d child, can't he/she just give a few strokes on d palm? Nw she has succeeded in traumatizing d boy. We as Nigerians need 2 start addressing issues lyk dis (abuse in d name of 'discipline'). It seems it has started outliving its usefulness. I can remember those days when u wld c a friend up 2 mischief & warn him/her dt dey wld b beaten if caught. D prevalent reply then used 2 b " I go only cry; I no go die". Persistent use of D cane wld only make d child more stubborn & hardened. Therefore dere is a need 2 look 4 beta alternatives 2 correct children.

2 Likes

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by gemale(m): 10:40am On Feb 12, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
[size=18pt]All of you saying the teacher did the wrong thing are nothing but m@d...

Did you notice that South-East and the North have taken the pace in NECO, WAEC and recent inventions?

Five Open Heart Surgeries was performed at one hospital in the east and you say the teacher aint right?

This is where it starts from....

Olodo oshi... Why didn't he work on his assignment and the gullible elder told him to wait while he/she takes his celestial picture...

Konidafunyin....

Stop derailing these kids... They are meant to study....

My son kukuma know sha... reluctancy to do homework is total beating...

Stupidity of the highest order[/size]
Wt all d beating Nigerians don dey do since, hw our country don beta? Hw corruption don go down? How economy don improve? Has it led Nigerians 2 b 1 of D best places in d world 2 live in? Face it. Flogging is a lazy way of addressing d problems we face wt children. It's violence if we r 2 call a spade by its name & violence begets violence. Hw can u as a parent who's always quick 2 resort 2 violence when ur child offends u have d moral standing 2 ask him/her nt 2 b violent when he/she is offended? It doesn't make sense 2 preach 1 thing & do anoda. Children r more likely 2 follow their parents' actions Dan words. Dts my 2 cents in d issue.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by fxstory(m): 11:34am On Feb 12, 2016
many of us got same.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by nairalandbuzz(m): 11:56am On Feb 12, 2016
gemale:

Wt all d beating Nigerians don dey do since, hw our country don beta? Hw corruption don go down? How economy don improve? Has it led Nigerians 2 b 1 of D best places in d world 2 live in? Face it. Flogging is a lazy way of addressing d problems we face wt children. It's violence if we r 2 call a spade by its name & violence begets violence. Hw can u as a parent who's always quick 2 resort 2 violence when ur child offends u have d moral standing 2 ask him/her nt 2 b violent when he/she is offended? It doesn't make sense 2 preach 1 thing & do anoda. Children r more likely 2 follow their parents' actions Dan words. Dts my 2 cents in d issue.

Whenever my child offends or does something bad, I sit him down and talk to him man to man (5yrs man) but when he does not do his assignment, that is gross and na beating till he resets... He does many bad things that I just talk to him over but see Education is the ONLY legacy a guy can leave to the child o... and that one will stand
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by linearity: 12:09pm On Feb 12, 2016
gemale:

So dey shld kill him because of assignment abi? Abeg how many pple did all d assignments dey were given in skul? Stop defending evil. Dts gross physical abuse. So even if d teacher must beat d child, can't he/she just give a few strokes on d palm? Nw she has succeeded in traumatizing d boy. We as Nigerians need 2 start addressing issues lyk dis (abuse in d name of 'discipline'). It seems it has started outliving its usefulness. I can remember those days when u wld c a friend up 2 mischief & warn him/her dt dey wld b beaten if caught. D prevalent reply then used 2 b " I go only cry; I no go die". Persistent use of D cane wld only make d child more stubborn & hardened. Therefore dere is a need 2 look 4 beta alternatives 2 correct children.

I posted a follow-up to this post of mine as a response to another user.

One of my major arguments about this been 'traumatizing' is that most of us that are of age now, lived through these same system and even worst when we were in our teens going to school in Nigeria. Then, it was not only teachers that caned you mercilessly, even other students who are just a year above you terrorize you in school constantly.

What I do not get is, when did it become 'traumatizing'? Were we immune to the traumatizing effects them compare to teens of today? Maybe, that is why we now have many thieving politicians, Armed Robbers, Terrorists, etc and by protecting the teens today, they will turn out better than my generation that suffered those same canings in decades past but are suffering some traumatic effects today.

I am not cordoning it in any form, my position is; do we have enough empirical data to conclude that, it is traumatizing or led to one not doing their homework or some of us becoming mis-fits in society (in a Nigerian setting, not America or other westernized society) or we are just blowing it's adverse effect, which is momentary pains out of proportion and reacting too much to the emotional outburst of the kids.

One thing I have come to realize is that, kids these days use their emotions to remote control their parents, they know the types of button to push in order to get certain reactions from parents. We never use to be able to get away with it, even with emotional outburst while growing up. If I were this kid and seeing this level of support and sympathy; the lesson will be that, not doing my homework is not really that bad of an idea depending on the reaction of my teacher.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by linearity: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2016
banmee:

Lol. . .he said "we are better for it". You must be living under a rock. Have you looked around your society lately? This is one of the reasons Nigerians are so used to gore and violence. Also why it is so easy to burn another human being on the streets. Brute force is a solution for everything. Paddling a child to this extent is a sign of poor problem solving skills and laziness. The teacher could not put forth a little effort to solve the problem with mental energy. And "spare the rod and spoil the child", does not mean flog the child to death. How has it improved Nigeria's society? It's getting worse by the day. Please come and do that shiit in America or Europe; you'll spend the next 10 years in jail.

Let me rephrase..."I am better for it", it made me a better person, believe me pain is a motivator. I grew up in an Army Barrack in Nigeria and we knew that all too well.

We know that, each time you misbehave; part of the corrective measures involves some level of pain and we do not run home to report all pains we have endured to our parents, we learn to fight and take our stands, even if that means taking more pains in the process.

Believe me, no one/society have a monopoly on what set of measures will produce the right results as it involves lots of variables. Even America that espouses most of the methodologies you have enumerated, have the highest rate of teen delinquencies, high prison rates among teens, high rate of truancy, teen pregnancies, teen drug addicts, the list goes on and on...
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by banmee(m): 12:55pm On Feb 12, 2016
linearity:

Let me rephrase..."I am better for it", it made me a better person, believe me pain is a motivator. I grew up in an Army Barrack in Nigeria and we knew that all too well.

We know that, each time you misbehave; part of the corrective measures involves some level of pain and we do not run home to report all pains we have endured to our parents, we learn to fight and take our stands, even if that means taking more pains in the process.

Believe me, no one/society have a monopoly on what set of measures will produce the right results as it involves lots of variables. Even America that espouses most of the methodologies you have enumerated, have the highest rate of teen delinquencies, high prison rates among teens, high rate of truancy, teen pregnancies, teen drug addicts, the list goes on and on...

I grew up in an Airforce barracks in Nigeria and i understand what you are saying. But there are some errors though. The old school mentality is that pain will correct a pattern of misconduct. That is incorrect. Pain is supposed to be used to draw one's attention. This is why spanking a child must stop before the age of 8. At that age, his brain is formed and he/she is beginning to understand things. I myself am a soldier. The old school way of correcting infractions, was to make you do front-back-go, push ups all day and any embarrassing punishment imaginable. Now, all those methods have been outlawed. As a Sergeant, my job is to coach, mentor and lead my Soldiers. You phuck up once and i give you a verbal counseling. The second time, it becomes a written one. The third time and you receive a UCMJ. Believe me you don't want that. You lose your time, money and rank plus 45 days of manual labor in ungodly hours. You work all day, eat at 1700hrs, and begin cutting grass, cleaning latrines etc till 2300hrs. You still have to wake up at 0500 the next day to begin the whole process again. Initially, The NCO's were against this new form of corrective training. We were so used to the push ups all day method. It took us a while to realize you effectively change the way a person behaves by applying non physical corrective training. The trick to changing a person's behavior is not by brute force but by taking away certain liberties they take for granted. My kids for instance. There is a rule in my household that there is no outside playtime on school nights until friday, saturday and sunday NLt 1600hrs. They know that any kind of infringement and those days will be taken away from them. Plus, no cable, bicycle, xbox, phone, etc. To them, losing those days is like being locked up in prison. You used America as an example. The reason you have those statistics is because America is not a lawless society. You phuck up, you pay the price. Every country has criminals. What makes a great nation great is how effectively you enforce the law. Under normal circumstances and by America's standards, a lot of Nigerians should be in jail but because of the fact that the law does not exist, they walk around free to do more damage. E.g touts, Policemen, politicians etc.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by dominusgai(m): 7:46pm On Feb 12, 2016
What is the abuse there, he is ten yrs old and so what. If at ten he wants to be as storbbon as a goat and not always do his homework he shuld be treated as one. Brother, abeg go teach for 3 months before I go fit listen to u. Besides I am not a teacher anymore niether am I frustrated, but it is your kind that will be to daft and lazy to check his childs book at nite. All u will care about is to pay school fees and expect miracle to happen at the end of the term without monitoring the child.
ironkurtain:

Mr man before you rant your invalid opinion here first of all go and check the differences between training a child and abusing a child. The kid is only ten years old for crying out loud. He got flogged like this because he didnt do his homework. So if it was something more than not doing his homework, the teacher will cut the child's head off and kick it to his or her parents house. My grand father once told me that his own grand father said that stubborn kids were sold into slavery and it was accepted during that time. Why dont you sell your own kid into slavery for being stubborn and you will see how fast you will make the headline news because of the way the police and your neighbors handled you that day. Infact, from the way you are responding to people's comments, you might be one of those teachers who take out their frustrations on kids because their job and life in general sucks. If you are still living in some cavemen century, let me update you on how the world is at present. These days there are programs for stubborn kids so that you dont have to literally kill the child to make him or her behave. If you have to cane the child, then do it with moderation according to what the child had done. What that teacher did to this child shows the kind of person he is. He is the kind of man that beats his wife at home when he is not in school brutalizing someones kid.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by ironkurtain(m): 12:34am On Feb 13, 2016
dominusgai:
What is the abuse there, he is ten yrs old and so what. If at ten he wants to be as storbbon as a goat and not always do his homework he shuld be treated as one. Brother, abeg go teach for 3 months before I go fit listen to u. Besides I am not a teacher anymore niether am I frustrated, but it is your kind that will be to daft and lazy to check his childs book at nite. All u will care about is to pay school fees and expect miracle to happen at the end of the term without monitoring the child.

Anyway thank God you are no more teaching because people like you are one of the reasons the educational system in our country is deteriorating. You quit your teaching job cos you thought it was easy and couldnt handle the heat of making sure that the students behaved and did well in their studies. And all you do is blame the parents. Dude you are the one that is lazy here and daft here. I wouldnt want my kid to go near you for his own safety and for YOUR OWN SAFETY.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by canDy4eva(f): 1:20am On Feb 13, 2016
dominusgai:
I take it u have never tought in ur life. Ur type has probably never even assisted a child in doing homework. If u have u would have known that dat amount of floging was not given to d boy for failing to do one day homework, but has the habit of not doing his homework. But ur type being lazy would not have bothered to check if the child did his homework. But y wud u, wen u can always blame the teacher for ur childs failure. As it is only ur child that is in the class
let me correct an impression here, first am a teacher n also a mum so should b able to speak from both points of view. A good teacher ensures that all the pupils in his or her class understands wot eva that is been taught. Agree to the fact that all the pupils will not grasp at the same time n that's why a topic can last for a week so that the slow learners can pick. Yes I agree to the fact that parents also have a role to play but trust me, the school has a lot to do.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by dominusgai(m): 9:55am On Feb 13, 2016
Teachers are not magicians and we both know that one week will not be enough to grasp a topic by slow learners, it might even take up to three weeks before some slow learner would understand what a fast learner understood in 3 days. While I understand the school has a lot to do, I know for a fact that its d duty of the parents to monitor what the child does at home. And I also know for a fact that parents of these days have become lazy. Even in USA, a teacher cannot carry all the students along in a class. A class will always be divided by 3, the very brilliant ones that need little teacher assistant, the not too brilliant ones that can improve with the teachers assistant and ythe very dull ones (academically) that the teacher cannot help. Let's be realistic here, a teacher is expected to spend 45 minutes per subject. Except all ur children are intelligent, that time barely covers explanation for one dull student. So yea, it is d duty of the parents to try and help by ensuring their children do assisgnments at home. I have a kid I assist in her assignments and truely she understands better with one one one explanation and so do most children. But u don't expect the teacher to provide these one on one explanation for the pupil. That is wre assignment comes in. When you give them an assignment, it is expected that they meet their parents or elder ones to help futher explain the subject. But when a child does not do the homework, u bring the trouble back to the teacher and u make the teacher repeat. As I said before, this kind of flogging will not come from one day of not doing homework. It comes after several warnings of not doing homework. How wud a mother not ensure that the childs homework is always done. Dat is the duty of the parents not the teachers. And u guys should forget all this emotional trauma bullshit. We are africans and we are not as emotionally damaged as the whites. I was flogged like this growing up by my teacher and the next week I was still laughing at his jokes in class.
canDy4eva:
let me correct an impression here, first am a teacher n also a mum so should b able to speak from both points of view. A good teacher ensures that all the pupils in his or her class understands wot eva that is been taught. Agree to the fact that all the pupils will not grasp at the same time n that's why a topic can last for a week so that the slow learners can pick. Yes I agree to the fact that parents also have a role to play but trust me, the school has a lot to do.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by dominusgai(m): 10:01am On Feb 13, 2016
Since you wre born, am not sure you have ever assisted a kid in doing an homework. When you have done tell me and I will start listening. Anyway u wre probably a dullard in class. Go and teach for one month, then come and talk I will listen. You expect teacher to perform magic yet u cannot even assist ur child in doing homework. Ogbeni ur pikin go dull pass u o
ironkurtain:

Anyway thank God you are no more teaching because people like you are one of the reasons the educational system in our country is deteriorating. You quit your teaching job cos you thought it was easy and couldnt handle the heat of making sure that the students behaved and did well in their studies. And all you do is blame the parents. Dude you are the one that is lazy here and daft here. I wouldnt want my kid to go near you for his own safety and for YOUR OWN SAFETY.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by ironkurtain(m): 11:50am On Feb 13, 2016
dominusgai:
Since you wre born, am not sure you have ever assisted a kid in doing an homework. When you have done tell me and I will start listening. Anyway u wre probably a dullard in class. Go and teach for one month, then come and talk I will listen. You expect teacher to perform magic yet u cannot even assist ur child in doing homework. Ogbeni ur pikin go dull pass u o

Dude for your information i once did a part time teaching job here in South Korea so shut your mouth and go sit your lazy ass down.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by dominusgai(m): 11:55am On Feb 13, 2016
Wetin carry u go south korea. As I said u are too dull to survive in nigeria
ironkurtain:

Dude for your information i once did a part time teaching job here in South Korea so shut your mouth and go sit your lazy ass down.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by GatJokez(f): 2:21pm On Feb 13, 2016
Islie:

http://www.cknnigeria.com/2016/02/brutality-in-ogun-school10-year-old-boy.html

I would break the teacher's arms angry angry angry

This teacher must be dull and lacking intelligence needed to do her job properly. Students do much better with praise and encouragement.

1 Like

Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by adedoyintm(m): 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
The parent of this child are fools,i don't know what is bad in beating a boy that refused to do his homework for days.I don't just get it.....why would a parent post a picx to tarnish the image of a teacher after he has asked for forgiveness.The mother of this boy is a bad example.....An example of a foolish mother.
Re: Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) by ChucE(m): 12:01am On Jun 15, 2018
Vanquay:
Corporal punishment never proves anything, it only makes the receiver hardened.

I remember threatening my dad that I would report him to Child welfare. That day I regretted and Heaven wept... angry...ever since I was 14, if you like beat me with hot iron, I won't bat an eyelid#AfricanWayOfGyming

But it's all good, I ain gon flog my teenagers when I have them, I find grounding, detention and gadget seizures more effective

Same here, bro. Especially when its my father who tries to flog me. WO!!! it won't enter. No be still wire, we go take am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

October 12 Resumption: We Can’t Work On Empty Stomach, Strike Indefinite – ASUU / Delta Poly Students Use Convoy Of Expensive Cars For Their Graduation Party / Eksu (unad & Usti) Cutoff Mark And Admission News!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.