Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Why The "Fundamentalist" Approach To Religion Must Be Wrong - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why The "Fundamentalist" Approach To Religion Must Be Wrong (550 Views)

Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian / For Fun - Popular Contributors To Religion Section / Who Invited Atheists To 'Religion Forum'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why The "Fundamentalist" Approach To Religion Must Be Wrong by ValentineMary(m): 1:26pm On Feb 12, 2016
I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good... Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."
-Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue
Quoted in The News-Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Indiana. 8-16-93

I want to say to all you Scribes, Pharisees, heresy hunters, all of you that are going around pickin' little bits of doctrinal error out of everybody's eyes and dividin' the Body of Christ...get out of God's way, stop blockin' God's bridges, or God's goin' to shoot you if I don't...let Him sort out all this doctrinal doodoo!...I refuse to argue any longer with any of you out there! Don't even call me if you want to argue...Get out of my life! I don't want to talk to you...I don't want to see your ugly face!"
-Paul Crouch, President, Trinity Broadcasting Network

In winning a nation to the gospel, the sword as well as the pen must be used." "Democracy is a heresy against God!"
-R.J. Rushdooney, Director of the Rutherford Institute,
which was the principal funder of Monica Lewinsky's
legal defense, and architect of "Christian Reconstructionism."

It has been observed that one of the characteristics of fundamentalism is that among patriarchialistic religions, at least, chavinism is a clear, almost defining characteristic. Indeed, it has been my experience that the degree of chavinism within a religion seems to closely parallel the degree to which the organization could be charactarized as fundamentalist.

Based on that observation, I hereby propose what I'm somewhat laughingly calling "Bidstrup's Index of Fundamentalism." It is basically just a measure of the degree to which women's rights are abrogated by the religion's doctrine and the culture that the religion creates. It is scored like this: If a religious organization is characterized by each or any of the statements below, add the points indicated to the score.

Does the religion deny to women the same religious privileges and authority it accords to men (such as denying the priesthood)? If so, add 2 points.

Does the religion seek to deny women secular (i.e., usually political) power (e.g., the right to vote, run for office, etc.)? If so, add 3 points.

Does the religion impose greater 'moral' burdens on women than it does men (i.e., promote a double standard)? If so, add 4 points.

Does the religion seek to promote unquestioning submission of wives to their husbands? If so, add 4 points.

Does the religion promote involuntary marriage arrangements (such as arranged marriages, involuntary polygamy, denial of divorce initiated by the wife, etc.)? If so, add 5 points.

Does the religion discourage the participation of non-parenting wives in the workforce? If so, add 3 points.

If the above question is no, does the religion discourage the participation of parenting wives in the workforce regardless of economic circumstances? If so, add 3 points.

Does the religion discourage the education of women? If so, add 4 points.

Does the religion encourage women to remain at home, with contact with other women and men in the community discouraged? If so, add 5 points.

Does the religion accept or promote the treatment of women as property or a commodity, or treat wives as servants? If so, add 5 points.

Does the religion seek to deny women their reproductive freedom (taking a "pro-life" position on abortion, or discouraging or interfering with artificial contraception)? If so, add 5 points.

Does the religion seek to deny women the full right of self-determination, dignity and self respect that they accord men ("at home, barefoot and pregnant"wink? If so, add 4 points.

Does the religion publicly humiliate women who violate the prohibitions that apply only to women? If so, add 3 points.

By applying this little index, it will help measure the degree of intolerance and bigotry associated with a fundamentalist religion. This, then, becomes an index to how dangerous a religion is

1 Like

Re: Why The "Fundamentalist" Approach To Religion Must Be Wrong by Niflheim(m): 4:29am On Feb 13, 2016
@ValentineMary, wow!!! Those christian quotes are the stuff that terrorists are made off!!! Concerning the Bidstrup's Index, you raised some very interesting points!!! Christianity definitely fails in all categories, because it is an anti-woman religion!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Take On This? Christians Only! / Our Daily Bread Friday March 25 2016 / Ramadan 2016: 5 Ways To Show Solidarity To People On This Islamic Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.