Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,126 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

U.S. White House Fun Facts - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. White House Fun Facts (694 Views)

US/NK tension: White House Pressures Pentagon For North Korea Attack Plan, / Big Shock As Donald Trump's Entire Members Of White House Dept, PCAH, Resign / 12 Things You Never New About The White House But You Should (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 12, 2016
Irish architect, James Hoban, was chosen by President Washington to be the architect of the new presidential residence in 1792.

Construction of the White House began in October of 1792.

The building was built mostly by enslaved and free African-American laborers, as well as employed Europeans.[14] Much of the other work on the house was performed by immigrants, many not yet with citizenship. The sandstone walls were erected by Scottish immigrants, employed by Hoban.

Construction lasted for 8 years, and the White House was ready for occupation in November 1800.

Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 7:13pm On Feb 12, 2016
It cost over $3.2 million (in today's dollars) to build between 1792-1800
Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 12, 2016
The White House was burned down by British troops in the war of 1812. But was reconstructed between 1814-1815
Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 7:23pm On Feb 12, 2016
Today, the WH includes the central Executive Residence flanked by the East Wing and West Wing.

It comprises six stories and 55,000 ft² (5,100 m²) of floor space, 132 rooms and 35 bathrooms, 412 doors, 147 windows, twenty-eight fireplaces, eight staircases, three elevators, five full-time chefs, a tennis court, a (single-lane) bowling alley (officially called the Harry S. Truman Bowling Alley), a movie theater (officially called the White House Family Theater[65]), a jogging track, a swimming pool, and a putting green.

It receives up to 30,000 visitors each week

Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 12, 2016
1. East room
2. Red room
3. Green room
4. Blue room.

Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 12, 2016
There is no separate budget for feeding the first family. The President pays for the his/her family's food out of pocket.

Only State dinners are free for the President, his family and guests.

Aboard Air force one, the President pays for the meals of visitors on the flight.
Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by Nobody: 1:10am On Feb 13, 2016
@P - What about the location of the extremely protected & fortified underground bunker in the White House? grin

I will devote all my energy & all the powers available to me in visualising & effectuating the Russian Bunker Buster (BETAB-500) penetrating that safe hole beneath the White House, vapourising the POTUS & his aides, and my joy will know no bounds. grin

The concrete piercing “Russian BETAB-500” bombs (weighing 500kg each) are equipped with a jet booster, which allows the bomb to completely destroy any underground installations. grin

Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi - 1 day, Vladimirovich Putin & I will make you very proud. Continue resting in peace my comrades! grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. White House Fun Facts by MosquitoLaps(m): 8:18am On Feb 13, 2016
OP, give us fun facts about Aso Rock. Wetin consyn Agbero wit overload?

(1) (Reply)

Wicked World! Baby Dies After Being Dumped By Mother In A River. See Photos / Ex-chad Leader Sentenced To Life For War Crimes / Breakin News:Dozens Dead Many Injured After Truck Attack In Nice,Paris.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.