Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

God Hates Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Hates Religion (1410 Views)

Man Reveals Why He Hates Reading The Bible, Nigerians React / Divorce: An Option GOD Hates, Then What? / Help! My Pastor Hates Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 6:59am On Feb 13, 2016
Yes, God hates religion…

I will give you Biblical support for that statement in a moment.

Someone may be thinking “I thought God invented religion!” Sorry, but God invented Man and Man invented religion.

Humankind is by our very nature, (designed so by our Creator) drawn to relationships. Relationships that range from familial, to friendships, to marital as well as communal. These relationships that we don’t even think about give us insight into what God intended for us. From the time we are born we learn that the family relationship provides security and safety and unconditional love. (That is why we call God the “Father”). A healthy family creates a relationship of trust, security and encouragement. As we grow older we learn the value of a loyal friend that we can trust with our cares and stand beside us when we need help. (Jesus is referred to as the “friend that sticks closer than a brother”.) As we mature and attract a mate, we learn how marvelous the intimate relationship between a man and woman becomes, and how to depend upon and serve each other to the point of becoming “one flesh”, as the Bible states it, not only physically but emotionally and spiritually. That relationship of marriage is the pinnacle of relationship theology. This is why Jesus is called the “Bridegroom” and the “Church” (don’t get ahead of me, just keep reading!), which is the entire congregation or number of believers, is called the “Bride of Christ”.

Now, we all know that not all of our relationships always work out this nicely. I would venture to say that those relationships not working out is not because God had anything to do with them, but more than likely because we kept Him out and did what we wanted to do. In other words, the reason the relationship failed is one or both parties put self interest ahead of the other. Self. God had nothing to do with the failure of those relationships. Can a broken relationship be restored? Sure! It happens all the time, but not until those interested persons are willing to put someone else ahead of themselves. This humility of spirit, seeking and offering forgiveness and restoration is absolutely necessary for a reconciled relationship.

God created Man for the express purpose of mutual relationship with him, but gave Man the power of choice and free will. Man chose to break that relationship and has been trying to find his own way by inventing religions and cults of all kinds in an effort to replace that void left by lack of relationship with his Creator.

But relationship with God cannot be found through religion. In fact, religion is the biggest roadblock to seeking a relationship with God. Religion is simply Man trying to reach out to God by doing something that he thinks will please God. “If I can do enough, say enough, pray enough, give enough, sacrifice enough perhaps God will show me favor”. Every religion is based upon this “works theology”. Neither ceremony, liturgy, creeds, sacraments nor money have ever brought one soul into a reconciled relationship to God. Abstaining from drugs, alcohol, tobacco, illicit sex and the places that provide them is a healthy thing to do but cannot of itself restore a broken relationship with God. Giving up a favorite food or drink, reciting ‘program prayers’ or self mutilation does nothing to convince or satisfy God.

“But my denomination teaches…” Do you really believe that God favors your denomination over others? Quite the contrary, if your denomination professes to be “the only true way”, I can pretty well guarantee that it isn’t! Do you think that God’s intention was to have eleventy-five different denominations of His Church? They can’t all be right, and more than likely they’re all wrong.

Now, I realize that thus far I have been speaking in terms of Christianity. But the cults such as Islam easily fall precisely under the premise of “God hates Religion”; after all, I observe no one more committed to their religion than an Islamic Fundamentalist. Although the Muslim serves a different god (Allah is not the God of the Bible), he too is seeking to appease his god by doing. That is “works based theology” no matter how you slice it.

So you may be wondering where in the Bible it says that God hates religion. Starting in the Old Testament I will show you several references and then finish off with what Jesus Christ Himself said concerning religion.

Isaiah 1:13-14 states, “Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and Sabbaths, the calling of assemblies…it is iniquity…Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.”

David prays to God in Psalm 40:6, “Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire;…Burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.”

Amos 5:21 says, “I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell (the odors of their sacrifices) in your solemn assemblies.”

Micah 6:6-8 includes; “Wherewith shall I come before the Lord and bow myself before the high God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.”

And there it is: “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.” James 4:10.

You see, the Israelites (Jews) of the Old Testament had forgotten the relationship with God and became dependent upon the religious system of works and sacrifice and offerings expecting spiritual redemption or to appease God. But in these passages we see God Himself saying, “I don’t care how you shake and dance, I’m not interested in your religious activities, I want your heart.” In fact that is exactly what He expresses here in Isaiah 29:13, “Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me…”(Jesus quoted this passage in Matt. 15:8-9 adding “…in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”)

Imagine a pyramid which represents religion. The base is guilt, upon which is laid fear. Religion uses guilt and fear to incite works to appease which when applied results in pride.

Pride is the capstone of religion. But as in any pyramid scheme, only a few get to the top; everyone else is trying to work off their guilt and fear. It is a bondage that Jesus confronted with a tongue lashing directed at the religious leaders of the day; the Pharisee’s of Judaism. They sought to entrap and discredit Him and asked Jesus, (paraphrasing) “Why are your disciples disregarding our traditions…” Jesus answered, “Why do you transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?…You hypocrites!”(Matt 15:1-9)

Jesus really lets them have it in Matthew 23. Talking first to the people He said (paraphrasing), “The scribes and Pharisees sit in high seats and bind heavy burdens upon you that they themselves won’t even lift a finger to bear! They make themselves look pious before men so everyone will recognize their positions.” Then turning on the religious leaders He calls them hypocrites, fools and blind, tombs full of dead men’s bones. “Every time you open your mouth death comes out!” He called them snakes headed for the damnation of hell! These were the religious leaders!

Jesus said “Come unto me… and I will give you rest.” (Matt. 11:28) Religion can’t save you; only relationship and that comes through humility and repentance. Christ says in John 10:9 “I am the door: by me if any man enter in he shall be saved…” Guilt is the natural state of Mankind. We are all guilty before God. This leads to fear of all kinds. Fear of being found out. Fear of failure. Fear of change. Fear of the opinion of others. But doing something good (works) will notchange the fact you are guilty. The only cure is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ who took upon Himself my guilt and fear. I am no longer guilty and can act fearlessly and rest secure that I have a relationship with God, which then enables me to “work”, that being striving to do things that honor my relationship with Him.

The works are not to gain God’s blessing in my life; but to reflect God’s blessing in my life. “We don’t do to be, we do because we are.”

The relationship with God through Jesus Christ is more perfect and full than any earthly relationships we can forge because God is perfect. Other people are not. And even though we can have wonderful relationships with one another, these pale in comparison to a relationship with Him.

As with everything in Creation, the physical (material) is a manifestation of the spiritual. The human relationship of family teaches us of the security we have in Him as the perfect Father. The friendship we experience of our most loyal friend on earth is still imperfect compared to the Friend we have in Jesus. The picture of marriage shows us the intimacy and devotion that He has for us when believers are referred to as the Bride of Christ. If you read the Song of Solomon with the King as Christ and the bride as the “Church” you will see how this works. Better yet, if you have a great marriage, you have experienced the wonderful earthly manifestation of this relationship.

But as humans, we are flawed creatures, and still struggle within these relationships on the human level. The relationship with God puts Him as the guardian of the relationship and Jesus promised “I will never leave you or forsake you.” And if your relationship with God is good, you will realize that your relationships with other people are much better. That is, indeed, the abundant life that Jesus promises.

It is impossible to work your way into a relationship with God. You must be born into it. The second birth. The spiritual birth. Religion is not the answer. Religion is the problem.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God Hates Religion by Eebrahym(m): 7:04am On Feb 13, 2016
Who wee read all this long story angry
Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 7:40am On Feb 13, 2016
Eebrahym:
Who wee read all this long story angry

Sorry but that's the best way it could be explained in detail.
Re: God Hates Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 11:31am On Feb 13, 2016
Thank you very much, God bless you brother

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by kacglobal: 12:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
Oya o nairalander mods una no go put this sensible thread for front page now. Na other ones una go dey put.
Cc OAM4J
Cc seun
Cc lalasticlala
Cc Mynd44
Cc r231
Cc Freiburger
Re: God Hates Religion by ezebrain: 5:04pm On Feb 13, 2016
Horlufemi:

God hates religion

You have spoken well, but the structure of the headline is uncomfortable to any person who really knows the greatness of "GOD".

The word "hate" is a negative attribute and should not be ascribed to GOD when describing the gulf between HIM and fallen mankind.

The right expression would be, "DIVINITY KNOWS NO RELIGION, BUT MAN DOES".

I'm not saying you're wrong in your assertions. I could even say that your write up testifies your higher inner maturity. But I advice that you heed the "title" and decide if you will make an amendment or not.
Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 11:27pm On Feb 13, 2016
ezebrain:

You have spoken well, but the structure of the headline is uncomfortable to any person who really knows the greatness of "GOD".

The word "hate" is a negative attribute and should not be ascribed to GOD when describing the gulf between HIM and fallen mankind.

The right expression would be, "DIVINITY KNOWS NO RELIGION, BUT MAN DOES".

I'm not saying you're wrong in your assertions. I could even say that your write up testifies your higher inner maturity. But I advice that you heed the "title" and decide if you will make an amendment or not.

I get your point. You need some daring title to make people question and read the article. Like "How can God hate Religion?" Its deliberate
Re: God Hates Religion by Nobody: 1:02am On Feb 14, 2016
All religions must be tolerated…For everyman must get to heaven his own way. Frederick the Great, 1712-1786.
Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 9:53am On Mar 24, 2019
Horlufemi:
Yes, God hates religion…

Someone may be thinking “I thought God invented religion!” Sorry, but God invented Man and Man invented religion.

Humankind is by our very nature, (designed so by our Creator) drawn to relationships. Relationships that range from familial, to friendships, to marital as well as communal. These relationships that we don’t even think about give us insight into what God intended for us. From the time we are born we learn that the family relationship provides security and safety and unconditional love. (That is why we call God the “Father”). A healthy family creates a relationship of trust, security and encouragement. As we grow older we learn the value of a loyal friend that we can trust with our cares and stand beside us when we need help. (Jesus is referred to as the “friend that sticks closer than a brother”.) As we mature and attract a mate, we learn how marvelous the intimate relationship between a man and woman becomes, and how to depend upon and serve each other to the point of becoming “one flesh”, as the Bible states it, not only physically but emotionally and spiritually. That relationship of marriage is the pinnacle of relationship theology. This is why Jesus is called the “Bridegroom” and the “Church” (don’t get ahead of me, just keep reading!), which is the entire congregation or number of believers, is called the “Bride of Christ”.

Now, we all know that not all of our relationships always work out this nicely. I would venture to say that those relationships not working out is not because God had anything to do with them, but more than likely because we kept Him out and did what we wanted to do. In other words, the reason the relationship failed is one or both parties put self interest ahead of the other. Self. God had nothing to do with the failure of those relationships. Can a broken relationship be restored? Sure! It happens all the time, but not until those interested persons are willing to put someone else ahead of themselves. This humility of spirit, seeking and offering forgiveness and restoration is absolutely necessary for a reconciled relationship.

God created Man for the express purpose of mutual relationship with him, but gave Man the power of choice and free will. Man chose to break that relationship and has been trying to find his own way by inventing religions and cults of all kinds in an effort to replace that void left by lack of relationship with his Creator.

But relationship with God cannot be found through religion. In fact, religion is the biggest roadblock to seeking a relationship with God. Religion is simply Man trying to reach out to God by doing something that he thinks will please God. “If I can do enough, say enough, pray enough, give enough, sacrifice enough perhaps God will show me favor”. Every religion is based upon this “works theology”. Neither ceremony, liturgy, creeds, sacraments nor money have ever brought one soul into a reconciled relationship to God. Abstaining from drugs, alcohol, tobacco, illicit sex and the places that provide them is a healthy thing to do but cannot of itself restore a broken relationship with God. Giving up a favorite food or drink, reciting ‘program prayers’ or self mutilation does nothing to convince or satisfy God.

“But my denomination teaches…” Do you really believe that God favors your denomination over others? Quite the contrary, if your denomination professes to be “the only true way”, I can pretty well guarantee that it isn’t! Do you think that God’s intention was to have eleventy-five different denominations of His Church? They can’t all be right, and more than likely they’re all wrong.

Now, I realize that thus far I have been speaking in terms of Christianity. But the cults such as Islam easily fall precisely under the premise of “God hates Religion”; after all, I observe no one more committed to their religion than an Islamic Fundamentalist. Although the Muslim serves a different god (Allah is not the God of the Bible), he too is seeking to appease his god by doing. That is “works based theology” no matter how you slice it.

So you may be wondering where in the Bible it says that God hates religion. Starting in the Old Testament I will show you several references and then finish off with what Jesus Christ Himself said concerning religion.

Isaiah 1:13-14 states, “Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and Sabbaths, the calling of assemblies…it is iniquity…Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.”

David prays to God in Psalm 40:6, “Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire;…Burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.”

Amos 5:21 says, “I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell (the odors of their sacrifices) in your solemn assemblies.”

Micah 6:6-8 includes; “Wherewith shall I come before the Lord and bow myself before the high God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.”

And there it is: “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.” James 4:10.

You see, the Israelites (Jews) of the Old Testament had forgotten the relationship with God and became dependent upon the religious system of works and sacrifice and offerings expecting spiritual redemption or to appease God. But in these passages we see God Himself saying, “I don’t care how you shake and dance, I’m not interested in your religious activities, I want your heart.” In fact that is exactly what He expresses here in Isaiah 29:13, “Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me…”(Jesus quoted this passage in Matt. 15:8-9 adding “…in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”)

Imagine a pyramid which represents religion. The base is guilt, upon which is laid fear. Religion uses guilt and fear to incite works to appease which when applied results in pride.

Pride is the capstone of religion. But as in any pyramid scheme, only a few get to the top; everyone else is trying to work off their guilt and fear. It is a bondage that Jesus confronted with a tongue lashing directed at the religious leaders of the day; the Pharisee’s of Judaism. They sought to entrap and discredit Him and asked Jesus, (paraphrasing) “Why are your disciples disregarding our traditions…” Jesus answered, “Why do you transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?…You hypocrites!”(Matt 15:1-9)

Jesus really lets them have it in Matthew 23. Talking first to the people He said (paraphrasing), “The scribes and Pharisees sit in high seats and bind heavy burdens upon you that they themselves won’t even lift a finger to bear! They make themselves look pious before men so everyone will recognize their positions.” Then turning on the religious leaders He calls them hypocrites, fools and blind, tombs full of dead men’s bones. “Every time you open your mouth death comes out!” He called them snakes headed for the damnation of hell! These were the religious leaders!

Jesus said “Come unto me… and I will give you rest.” (Matt. 11:28) Religion can’t save you; only relationship and that comes through humility and repentance. Christ says in John 10:9 “I am the door: by me if any man enter in he shall be saved…” Guilt is the natural state of Mankind. We are all guilty before God. This leads to fear of all kinds. Fear of being found out. Fear of failure. Fear of change. Fear of the opinion of others. But doing something good (works) will notchange the fact you are guilty. The only cure is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ who took upon Himself my guilt and fear. I am no longer guilty and can act fearlessly and rest secure that I have a relationship with God, which then enables me to “work”, that being striving to do things that honor my relationship with Him.

The works are not to gain God’s blessing in my life; but to reflect God’s blessing in my life. “We don’t do to be, we do because we are.”

The relationship with God through Jesus Christ is more perfect and full than any earthly relationships we can forge because God is perfect. Other people are not. And even though we can have wonderful relationships with one another, these pale in comparison to a relationship with Him.

As with everything in Creation, the physical (material) is a manifestation of the spiritual. The human relationship of family teaches us of the security we have in Him as the perfect Father. The friendship we experience of our most loyal friend on earth is still imperfect compared to the Friend we have in Jesus. The picture of marriage shows us the intimacy and devotion that He has for us when believers are referred to as the Bride of Christ. If you read the Song of Solomon with the King as Christ and the bride as the “Church” you will see how this works. Better yet, if you have a great marriage, you have experienced the wonderful earthly manifestation of this relationship.

But as humans, we are flawed creatures, and still struggle within these relationships on the human level. The relationship with God puts Him as the guardian of the relationship and Jesus promised “I will never leave you or forsake you.” And if your relationship with God is good, you will realize that your relationships with other people are much better. That is, indeed, the abundant life that Jesus promises.

It is impossible to work your way into a relationship with God. You must be born into it. The second birth. The spiritual birth. Religion is not the answer. Religion is the problem.
Horlufemi, you are my padi, so let's get things in the proper perspective, if Yes, God hates religion and truly that religion is the problem, please can you paste here for all to see and read, all the James 1:27 bible translations you possibly can find

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 10:52am On Mar 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Horlufemi, you are my padi, so let's get things in the proper perspective, if Yes, God hates religion and truly that religion is the problem, please can you paste here for all to see and read, all the James 1:27 bible translations you possibly can find

James 1:27 Parallel Verses
James 1:27, NIV: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

James 1:27, ESV: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

James 1:27, KJV: "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

James 1:27, NASB: "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

James 1:27, NLT: "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."

James 1:27, CSB: "Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

What does James 1:27 mean?
In the previous verse, James called out anyone who labels themselves as religious, but doesn't control their tongues—their words. Such people are lying to themselves. What this implies is that it is not enough to participate in religious ceremonies, keep a few commands, or refer to ourselves as a religious followers. So far as Christianity is concerned, obedience to God is meant to be followed down to the level of every word we speak.

James lived in a very religious time in history. He was born into the religion of Judaism, a political-religious system instituted by God Himself. It had been corrupted over time by its human leadership, leading to great misunderstanding about who God was and what He wanted from His people. In addition, the culture of that era was packed with religions that included the worship of all kinds of idols and false gods. All of them had specific rules and practices. All of them gave people a false sense of security in exchange for money or loyalty or ritualistic obedience. None of them was pure or undefiled religion.

Now, though, James writes that there is a form of religious expression that is still pure and undefiled before God. It is simple, though not easy: show up with the widows and orphans in their suffering. Help them. And don't let yourself be polluted or stained by the world.

As with other verses, we need to carefully understand the point at hand. James is not restricting "right religion" to only literal care for literal widows and orphans. At the time James wrote, these represented society's most helpless members. Widows, in that culture, were women who had lost their husbands prior to bearing children. This left them destitute. Children without parents, and women without husbands, were among that culture's most needy. According to this verse, "pure" religion is defined as caring for those who are in need, and avoiding the sins of the world.

When the New Testament speaks of "the world," it usually means the "world system." This is the fallen, sin-soaked attitude of humanity, which rejects God and opposes His wisdom. Later in this letter, James will describe worldly wisdom as bitter envy and selfish ambition. To be unstained by the world means that we refuse to be driven by our own appetites and desires and selfish goals. It means not compromising with a system that hates God. Just as James pointed out in James 1:5–8, the world's wisdom is not like God's.

With this, James is also implying that it's very difficult to practice pure and undefiled religion before God…unless we see some serious changes inside of us. Merely planning to follow the right list of regulations is not enough.

Context Summary
James 1:19–27 emphasizes that those who truly trust God don't settle for merely appearing religious. They give up trying to control the world with their words and their anger. They humbly receive the Word God has planted in them, listen to it, and proceed to do what it says. Part of what the Word says to us is that we should keep control over our words, to care for those who are weak and suffering, and to keep ourselves from being polluted by the world around us.
Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 11:21am On Mar 31, 2019
Horlufemi:
James 1:27 Parallel Verses
James 1:27, NIV: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

James 1:27, ESV: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

James 1:27, KJV: "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

James 1:27, NASB: "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

James 1:27, NLT: "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."

James 1:27, CSB: "Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

What does James 1:27 mean?
In the previous verse, James called out anyone who labels themselves as religious, but doesn't control their tongues—their words. Such people are lying to themselves. What this implies is that it is not enough to participate in religious ceremonies, keep a few commands, or refer to ourselves as a religious followers. So far as Christianity is concerned, obedience to God is meant to be followed down to the level of every word we speak.

James lived in a very religious time in history. He was born into the religion of Judaism, a political-religious system instituted by God Himself. It had been corrupted over time by its human leadership, leading to great misunderstanding about who God was and what He wanted from His people. In addition, the culture of that era was packed with religions that included the worship of all kinds of idols and false gods. All of them had specific rules and practices. All of them gave people a false sense of security in exchange for money or loyalty or ritualistic obedience. None of them was pure or undefiled religion.

Now, though, James writes that there is a form of religious expression that is still pure and undefiled before God. It is simple, though not easy: show up with the widows and orphans in their suffering. Help them. And don't let yourself be polluted or stained by the world.

As with other verses, we need to carefully understand the point at hand. James is not restricting "right religion" to only literal care for literal widows and orphans. At the time James wrote, these represented society's most helpless members. Widows, in that culture, were women who had lost their husbands prior to bearing children. This left them destitute. Children without parents, and women without husbands, were among that culture's most needy. According to this verse, "pure" religion is defined as caring for those who are in need, and avoiding the sins of the world.

When the New Testament speaks of "the world," it usually means the "world system." This is the fallen, sin-soaked attitude of humanity, which rejects God and opposes His wisdom. Later in this letter, James will describe worldly wisdom as bitter envy and selfish ambition. To be unstained by the world means that we refuse to be driven by our own appetites and desires and selfish goals. It means not compromising with a system that hates God. Just as James pointed out in James 1:5–8, the world's wisdom is not like God's.

With this, James is also implying that it's very difficult to practice pure and undefiled religion before God…unless we see some serious changes inside of us. Merely planning to follow the right list of regulations is not enough.

Context Summary
James 1:19–27 emphasizes that those who truly trust God don't settle for merely appearing religious. They give up trying to control the world with their words and their anger. They humbly receive the Word God has planted in them, listen to it, and proceed to do what it says. Part of what the Word says to us is that we should keep control over our words, to care for those who are weak and suffering, and to keep ourselves from being polluted by the world around us.
It's apparent the religion that God our Father doesnt accept as pure and faultless is false religion.
Yes, God loves religion

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 11:29am On Mar 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
It's apparent the religion that God our Father doesnt accept as pure and faultless is false religion.
Yes, God loves religion

God want relationship not religion.

You need to understand

Religion requires you to do to be righteous (ability) set rules to follow.

Relationship allows you to do because it's who you are.

Man created religion.
Re: God Hates Religion by LordReed(m): 11:39am On Mar 31, 2019
How do you have a relationship with something that doesn't exist?
Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 11:43am On Mar 31, 2019
Horlufemi:
God want relationship not religion.

You need to understand

Religion requires you to do to be righteous (ability) set rules to follow.

Relationship allows you to do because it's who you are.

Man created religion.
God requires both, He requires a horizontal and vertical relationship. The horizontal relationship needs religion, that is true, pure and faultless to be effective and valid. Man have created many false religions that God doesnt approve of nor necessarily requires

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 1:55pm On Mar 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
God requires both, He requires a horizontal and vertical relationship. The horizontal relationship needs religion, that is true, pure and faultless to be effective and valid. Man have created many false religions that God doesnt approve of nor necessarily requires

There's nothing I will explain that you'll understand. Sometimes we need to unlearn and relearn. Everything is self explanatory. Just try to meditate you'll get it. You'll get it in your own time. Shalom bro.
Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 2:38pm On Mar 31, 2019
Horlufemi:
There's nothing I will explain that you'll understand. Sometimes we need to unlearn and relearn. Everything is self explanatory. Just try to meditate you'll get it. You'll get it in your own time. Shalom bro.
"Yes, God hates religion…
"
- by Horlufemi(m): 6:59am On Feb 13, 2016 ©

This is exactly what empty barrels say and do, making loud noise. "Lu pangolo and se ariwo kọ ni music", loosely translated means "Making noise upandan the place, isnt necessarily making good music"

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 10:43pm On Mar 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
"Yes, God hates religion…
"
- by Horlufemi(m): 6:59am On Feb 13, 2016 ©

This is exactly what empty barrels say and do, making loud noise. "Lu pangolo and se ariwo kọ ni music", loosely translated means "Making noise upandan the place, isnt necessarily making good music"

Bobo no energy to discuss anymore. Just can't deal right now.

This isn't a competition. I'm not for arguments either. We are all learning.

Drop your points we go dey alright las las

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 2:01am On Apr 01, 2019
Horlufemi:
Bobo no energy to discuss anymore. Just can't deal right now.
This is because lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons

Horlufemi:
This isn't a competition. I'm not for arguments either. We are all learning.
You free to compete with yourself, no one is stopping you arguing with yourself. No you arent learning, you are incorrigble.

Horlufemi:
Drop your points we go dey alright las las
[img]https://media./images/d120b953822a552723b557646150d92b/tenor.gif[/img]
You cant handle the truth

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 6:04am On Apr 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
This is because lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons

You free to compete with yourself, no one is stopping you arguing with yourself. No you arent learning, you are incorrigble.

[img]https://media./images/d120b953822a552723b557646150d92b/tenor.gif[/img]
You cant handle the truth

You are kinda boastful and you haven't said anything.

Awaiting your points let's see.

2 Likes

Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 7:10am On Apr 01, 2019
Horlufemi:
You are kinda boastful and you haven't said anything.
and you must have grown a very long nose after typing this

Horlufemi:
Awaiting your points let's see.
What points are you waiting to see, is it the one after I typed "you are my padi, so let's get things in the proper perspective, if Yes, God hates religion and truly that religion is the problem, please can you paste here for all to see and read, all the James 1:27 bible translations you possibly can find" or what?

You obliged and from that revealed that you lied that God hates religion, because James 1:27 clearly and specifically narrated the sort of religion God likes and/or approves of. The verse left no one one in doubt that God loves this particular sort of religion.

You dug yourself a hole further in the ditch by saying:"God want relationship not religion." sic which is another misleading bullshit. Then you went on a rant and rave about competing and arguing with yourself, deluding yourself that you are learning. Need I go on, need I say more points, huh?

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 10:15am On Apr 01, 2019
Horlufemi:

I get your point. You need some daring title to make people question and read the article. Like "How can God hate Religion?" Its deliberate

MuttleyLaff:
and you must have grown a very long nose after typing this

What points are you waiting to see, is it the one after I typed "you are my padi, so let's get things in the proper perspective, if Yes, God hates religion and truly that religion is the problem, please can you paste here for all to see and read, all the James 1:27 bible translations you possibly can find" or what?

You obliged and from that revealed that you lied that God hates religion, because James 1:27 clearly and specifically narrated the sort of religion God likes and/or approves of. The verse left no one one in doubt that God loves this particular sort of religion.

You dug yourself a hole further in the ditch by saying:"God want relationship not religion." sic which is another misleading bullshit. Then you went on a rant and rave about competing and arguing with yourself, deluding yourself that you are learning. Need I go on, need I say more points, huh?

?
Re: God Hates Religion by MuttleyLaff: 10:21am On Apr 01, 2019
Horlufemi:
?
Keep on deluding yourself, because that wasn't a daring title, it was a misleading caption, a not fair and square justified title

1 Like

Re: God Hates Religion by achorladey: 10:24am On Apr 01, 2019
Horlufemi: Someone may be thinking “I thought God INVENTED RELIGION!” Sorry, but God INVENTED Man and Man INVENTED RELIGION.

I feel the key to the discussion lies in this statement of yours captured in your OPENING SALVO......I think its possible and not a bad thing to say that God detest RELIGION INVENTED by MAN and NOT God hate RELIGION as you the OP Posit.

What is "religion".......according to Merriam Webster

1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods: 

2. an organized SYSTEM of BELIEFS,CEREMONIES, and RULES used to WORSHIP a god or a group of GODS: 

4. an interest, a belief,

5. or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Going by DEFINITION number 2..........

Jesus said:
“It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach COMMANDS of MEN as DOCTRINES.’”” (Mt 15:9)

ACCORDING to this, any system of WORSHIP crafted on the basis of the RULES of MEN, leads to GODS disapproval. Since all religions are based on the RULES and INTERPRETATIONS of MEN, we can simplify this statement to say, “ALL RELIGION is CONDEMNED by GOD.” Why? Because it replaces the rule of GOD with the rule of MEN, and we know from Ecclesiastes 8:9 that ‘MAN dominates Man to his INJURY.’

James 1:27, KJV: "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

For an individual to take to James words here, you don't need to be attached to INSTRUCTIONS from SMALL or SUPERSTRUCTURES EMBOLDEN in all RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS today to follow through. This is where I feel the RELATIONSHIP with GOD ASPECTS of the OP discussion comes in as the later part of the scripture states about KEEPING SELF spotless from the WORLD. To do this likewise you don't need small or SUPERSTRUCTURES in RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS to do so.

In summary, I don't want to believe that what you are trying to pass across is GOD HATE RELIGION rather you are trying to EMPHASIZE that GOD HATE MAN- MADE RELIGION.
Re: God Hates Religion by Horlufemi(m): 7:12am On Apr 02, 2019
achorladey:
Horlufemi: Someone may be thinking “I thought God INVENTED RELIGION!” Sorry, but God INVENTED Man and Man INVENTED RELIGION.

I feel the key to the discussion lies in this statement of yours captured in your OPENING SALVO......I think its possible and not a bad thing to say that God detest RELIGION INVENTED by MAN and NOT God hate RELIGION as you the OP Posit.

What is "religion".......according to Merriam Webster

1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods: 

2. an organized SYSTEM of BELIEFS,CEREMONIES, and RULES used to WORSHIP a god or a group of GODS: 

4. an interest, a belief,

5. or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Going by DEFINITION number 2..........

Jesus said:
“It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach COMMANDS of MEN as DOCTRINES.’”” (Mt 15:9)

ACCORDING to this, any system of WORSHIP crafted on the basis of the RULES of MEN, leads to GODS disapproval. Since all religions are based on the RULES and INTERPRETATIONS of MEN, we can simplify this statement to say, “ALL RELIGION is CONDEMNED by GOD.” Why? Because it replaces the rule of GOD with the rule of MEN, and we know from Ecclesiastes 8:9 that ‘MAN dominates Man to his INJURY.’

James 1:27, KJV: "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

For an individual to take to James words here, you don't need to be attached to INSTRUCTIONS from SMALL or SUPERSTRUCTURES EMBOLDEN in all RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS today to follow through. This is where I feel the RELATIONSHIP with GOD ASPECTS of the OP discussion comes in as the later part of the scripture states about KEEPING SELF spotless from the WORLD. To do this likewise you don't need small or SUPERSTRUCTURES in RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS to do so.

In summary, I don't want to believe that what you are trying to pass across is GOD HATE RELIGION rather you are trying to EMPHASIZE that GOD HATE MAN- MADE RELIGION.

You get it perfectly.

Thank you
Re: God Hates Religion by JohnNgene: 2:22pm On Jul 11, 2023
The first error here bu the assumption that God or the Gods are Christian. Lol.

1. The truth is that God or the Gods have never written any holy book or created any religion. That is why God or the Gods won't kill you even if you don't worship or believe in It or Them.

2. Religion is a blasphemy against God or the Gods because religion claims to speak for God or the Gods.

3. Humans and other beings were not created or born to worship any God or Gods. We were created or born to live and be alive.

4. Religion will be banished in the future just like slavery was banished in the past. Religion is essentially a tool used to programme consciousness or hypnotize minds in order to make it easier to control people like sheep.

Biko reach out to +234 909 5000 603 to ask more questions and to join our WhatsApp group for debates and discussions about religion and spiritual beliefs.
Re: God Hates Religion by Maynman: 3:59pm On Jul 11, 2023
You are quoting religious books to defend your assertion that one god hates religion 😂.
Everything you know about god is from religion.
Re: God Hates Religion by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Jul 11, 2023
Horlufemi:
■ Yes, God hates religion… I will give you Biblical support for that statement in a moment.

It is impossible to work your way into a relationship with God. You must be born into it. The second birth. The spiritual birth. Religion is not the answer. Religion is the problem
Indeed God hates religion and religion is the biggest road block to a relationship with God. But being born into a relationship with God does not cause one to do away with religion. That decision has to be intentional, come from within one. The Pharisees and teachers of the Law, even the Priests of Old, for instances, were as israelites, born into a relationship with God by virtue of their being descendants of Israel but they still went on to choose religion instead of God and we know how God eventually cut off by God - Ezekiel 34 vs 1 - 31. undecided

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Ghanaian 'archbishop' Begs Muslims For Forgiveness 'in The Name Of Allah' / **is Masturbation A Sin??? / Bro Joshua Iginla Loses Father, Releases Burial Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.