Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) (76769 Views)

Obasanjo Swearing In Buhari As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Throwback Photo) / Obasanjo Saluting The Corpse Of Murtala Mohammed (Throwback Photo) / Emir Sanusi Prays At The Tomb Of Murtala Muhammed (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by IGBOPRINCE: 9:34pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

before you point fingers read the articles I posted in the previous page and see what the Biafran Army did to biafran minorities from the midwestern and cross river regions, the very people they wanted to be part of Biafra. You massacre your own minoritiese whom you are not at war with, then you point fingers at the people you are actually at war with for killing your people and then you brainwash a generation with a one sided story of victimization?
it seem you re trying so hard to put the blames on biafrans soldier? How I my sure the writer of such article was right about the biafrans. Is there any evidence apart from what is written by a man to prove your write-up? Evidence like videos? Pls stopped acting like propaganda here by siding what murtala did in asaba was right.

On the biafrans side, I can understand the pressure they pass through despite not having all the facility needed to fight a war. They needed the supports from the minorities and they have no option than to take actions when some refused to join, hence the force of some minorities youth and adults.

My own granpa and relative, at tender age was force to join the biafrans soldier to war against nigeria.
So many youth from 17 to l8years and above were force to fight against nigeria cos the biafran army were not as much as nigerian army.
Remember the biafran were fighting the hausas,yoruba,middle belt,fulanis,tiv ,idoama, british,egypt, and so on.

But they(biafran) sustains the tempo for good 3years..

Ojukwu, you re a MAN

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by tico1212(m): 9:35pm On Feb 13, 2016
Spanner4:
Who is murtala Mohammed? I don't knw who he is
A footballer in the 70s

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by monex(m): 9:35pm On Feb 13, 2016
seunmsg:

In war, anything goes. That's why it's better not to start a war you are not fully prepared for. It saves you stories like this. That is why I will blame Ojukwu for starting a war he knew he can't win. He's a war criminal for wasting the lives of 2million Igbos for no reason. Beside, both sides committed war crimes during the war.

William Wallace would be a war criminal then... heck even Nelson Mandela
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

I never said it didnt happen, I am aware of it. what I am saying is are you aware of the Biafran massacres?

Read my posts on page 2

Do you mind telling us about the dates,venues as well as the commanding officers involved in the so-called biafran. Massacres?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

Killing of any unarmed civillian during war is a war crime and equally detestable.What makes the sordid events at asaba more horrifying was the fact that even kids were not spared.People were lined up in the village square and shot to death!!some Generations were completely wiped out by the soldiers led by these animal!! That man deserved worse than the very quick death the hero Dimka gave him

By that token Biafra was guilty of several war crimes "This victimization continued until the Biafra headquarters issued a statement to stop the genocide" against this was against it's own minority peoples.

So please gets your facts right before you point fingers

3 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Mikollon1(m): 9:36pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

Killing of any unarmed civillian during war is a war crime and equally detestable.What makes the sordid events at asaba more horrifying was the fact that even kids were not spared.People were lined up in the village square and shot to death!!some Generations were completely wiped out by the soldiers led by these animal!! That man deserved worse than the very quick death the hero Dimka gave him

Highlighting the killing of kids is noble.

However, neglecting the killing of men, INNOCENT MEN, while focusing on the killing of women reeks of sexism. It shows how easily you can be manipulated by the media to see males as disposable beings whose worth are less than those of women and children!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:37pm On Feb 13, 2016
Mikollon1:

I don't understand the noise about women and children. What about the men killed? Are their lives worth less?

I wrote innocents...
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by ndcide(m): 9:37pm On Feb 13, 2016
Mariam babangida's father was killed also by this dude. I think?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 13, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
it seem you re trying so hard to put the blames on biafrans soldier?

excuse me can you not read, these are Biafran minorities not hausa or youruba and foreign journalists telling their stories including an execution witnessed by a reporter of the NY times how Biafran minorities were massacred in Biafra by Biafrans. In other words these are accounts from your own people, i.e non-ibo Biafrans. similar stories in mid-west, cross river and Rivers

4 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by huptin(m): 9:44pm On Feb 13, 2016
Sctests:

How did Ojukwu start a war? By seeking to protect his people away from your bloodthirsty forebears? Gowon fired the first shot. That you won a war with British and Arab military aid doesn't make you right.

The future is waiting for us all. Deny all you want, we hate ourselves and there is no sign that nigeria will live forever. Even the hausas are preparing for life after nigeria and frantically search for oil and secretly mining their gold and saving in Arab banks.

Only yorubas seem to believe that nigeria a stormy entity with chaotic opposing forces and interests pulling at each other everyday will magically survive a 1000 years. While the futuristic Hausa and Igbo are preparing for the post-nigeria existence. Yoruba should be wiser than this.

Yorubas are already prepared for that eventuality, look around you, their region is the most prepared to stand alone as a single entity. They already have everything a sovereign nation requires to prosper. But they are just not known to boast, they wait for the best moment, aren't you surprised about how they always get the best end of the pie every time? Tact my friend is a million times better than bluff.

5 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Mikollon1(m): 9:44pm On Feb 13, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

I wrote innocents...

You wrote "combatants"
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:46pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

excuse me can you not read, these are Biafran minorities not hausa or youruba and foreign journalists telling their stories including an execution witnessed by a reporter of the NY times how Biafran minorities were massacred in Biafra by Biafrans. In other words these are accounts from your own people, i.e non-ibo Biafrans. similar stories in mid-west, cross river and Rivers

You are so pathetic!! You saw accounts of the asaba massacre depicting dates,venues as well as names of the pricipal actors,victims and survivors yet we dont have any such details about your so-called biafran massacre?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

None of the two.May I know why you ask? Murtala Mohammed was actually dubbed "the Butcher of Asaba" because of his role in the massacre of innocent civillians at asaba during the civil war.This is one of the worst case of war crimes ever committed on the african continent.His atrocities during the war will make Foday Sankoh look like a saint.The image of a hero projected about General Mohammed is an insult to the memories of those poor souls at asaba
I have a friend back in d days dts pragmatic like u nd his name is chukwudi nd hes a doctor in stays in asaba
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by IGBOPRINCE: 9:52pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

It's not about right or wrong bro, it's about ending the hatred that fills the hearts of so many and I think understanding that it wasn't one sided goes a long way to letting go because like I said Biafra is never going to happen and we learn to live together and trust each other. I wasn't alive when this war happened and I am sure I am older than a lot of people who are today harboring hate.
you re not God, if it s going happen, it will happen. Nigerian should put things in place . The yorubas re too personal and tribalist. Take it or leave it, though I respects the godly ones among them but when you meet the tribalist ones, you will pray for divisions.

I love nigeria as a country, but the hatred of one tribe in nigeria because they re progressing and making it despite the heat of the war, is the beginning of clarion calls.

The federal government of nigeria must sets up eastern enclave to the fullest, federal present must be on ground and also dredge river and re-function the coal mine industry in enugwu state.
Then we can discuss about being PATRIOTIC..
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

You are so pathetic!! You saw accounts of the asaba massacre depicting dates,venues as well as names of the pricipal actors,victims and survivors yet we dont have any such details about your so-called biafran massacre?

you see what you want to see, I believe if you read again you will find dates. It's there i won't bother posting it because if you wanted to see you would have seen, specific dates were actually given if you read the articles but I suspect you have spent your entire life indoctrinated with the one sided stories that have filkled your heart with hate that you will resist any evidence that proves Biafrans werent the saints or victims youve been led to beleive.

For the sake of others though

1) "In Asang town alone about 400 people were carried away to unknown destinations and never came back. Attan Onoyon town suffered the same fate. Enyong was burnt down and many people killed by Biafra soldiers. Biafra soldiers shot many villagers in Ekpenyong, present day Akwa Ibom. On October 18 1967, about 169 civilians in detention were lined up by Biafra soldiers and shot (source: New York Times as an informational advertisement by the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Nigeria New York)"

2) "William Norris of the London Times who visited Biafra reported an eye witness account of how Ibibio men were surrounded and beaten to death in Umuahia on April 2 1968."

3) At Abudu, over 300 bodies, including those of children, were found in the Ossiomo river as the Biafrans withdrew. [46]

Similarly, on 20 September 1967, 'there was a mass killing of non-Ibo MidWesterners at Boji-Boji Agbor', and on 23 September, 'non-Ibo speaking MidWesterners were apprehended by rebel soldiers at Asaba, Ibusa and Agbor and taken [in two lorries] to a rubber plantation along Uromi-Agbor road and massacred'. the authour quotes his source as Press Release No. MW 410 23/2/68, pp. 6-7. from the panel of inquiry after the end of the war

There are multiple accounts of atrocities commited by Biafra if you actually bothered to seek truth and read books that werent written by Ibos who haven't healed that ft your preconceptions, Whereas the rest of the country including non-ibo Biafra moved on, and don't go on everyday with their own stories Igbos are still stuck in 1967-70. This is why a minority from former Biafra became president before an Ibo.

5 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:
That is the corpse of a war criminal!! The blood of the women and children of Asaba were appeased by this act of heroism by the brave Col Dimka.I suggest Dimka should be considered for a national award.

Sorry, that is not going to happen.

Ojukwu and the Igbo coup plotters of 1966 remain the greatest war criminals in the history of this country since 1960.
Not only did they sow the seeds of coup plotting in Nigeria but also dragged the country into it's first and only civil war.
Millions of innocent Igbos and other Nigerians NEEDLESSLY died.
Ojukwu then upped and fled like the coward that he was, and his people have borne the brunt of what he instigated since then. I still absolutely feel his official pardoning was wrong.

Murtala Mohammed did his duty as a soldier, of making sure that Nigeria remained one.
You can rave and rant all you want. Murtala's name will be on our currencies and roads and institutions and airports, etc.
Dimka? A national award? Sorry - in your dreams maybe. Not in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by IGBOPRINCE: 10:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

oga, this man chukwudi just spoke my mind, read below

chukwudi44:

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Junkab: 10:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
I wonder why youths of nowadays do not take time to seek for knowledge instead listening to hearsay,being misinformed. These are great men which all nigerians acknowledged with them being immortalised.may God forgive their misdeeds as nobody is perfect
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Yujin(m): 10:22pm On Feb 13, 2016
lookandlaff:

It's not about right or wrong bro, it's about ending the hatred that fills the hearts of so many and I think understanding that it wasn't one sided goes a long way to letting go because like I said Biafra is never going to happen and we learn to live together and trust each other. I wasn't alive when this war happened and I am sure I am older than a lot of people who are today harboring hate.
**** Non of you can talk at present that the fulanis are killing many innocent farmers across 5 regions in Nigeria. Already thousands have been killed and a lot more displaced. I'm sure in the future people like you will justify the killings by looking for one excuse to absolve the marauding nomads of their selfish destructive past.

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:29pm On Feb 13, 2016
seunmsg:

You don't go to war based on emotions, you go to war based on necessity and pragmatism. The European union with their NATO forces had every reason to go to war with Russia over Ukraine, but they decided otherwise despite the provocation.

Russia can take on the whole European Union and NATO and trounce them resoundingly.
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 13, 2016
tolzy90:
Trying to get something here, was it Murtala Mohammed that went to war with the Ibos or Gowon. The war started and ended with Gowon as head of state. Hw matter come concern Murtala? Kids evrywhr, y'all need to read more on Nigeria history and stop spreading false info. Murtala was one of the most loved heads of states Nigeria ever had. He was so simple, he doesn't use convoy. The main reason he was easily assassinated.

stop disgracing yourself https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asaba_massacre
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Meritocracy: 10:37pm On Feb 13, 2016
If its true that people use to come to this life again, if Dimka hear about coup, or Ojukwu hear about war they go run like hussein bolt.

1 Like

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Dansiki1: 10:45pm On Feb 13, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

Actually, thats false. For example, his Army annihilated the whole whole town of Abudu (in Present day Edo state) just because they were predominantly Muslim, dressed like the Northerners and spoke no Igbo. How would you describe Genocide if someone asked you to?

You shouldn't point fingers in a war, lest your opponent can't point his because it has been chopped off by your sword. At least you're all on here everyday, by the dozen, in droves, always crying, accusing everyone else of "killing" you in 1967-70. But take a wild guess why you don't hear anyone crying on behalf of the people of Abudu?

Thats right. Theres noone left.
Perfect response

3 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 13, 2016
Yujin:

**** Non of you can talk at present that the fulanis are killing many innocent farmers across 5 regions in Nigeria. Already thousands have been killed and a lot more displaced. I'm sure in the future people like you will justify the killings by looking for one excuse to absolve the marauding nomads of their selfish destructive past.

keep allowing yourselves to be deceived by the likes of Kanu, IPOB and MASSOB. As a Yoruba man, I really don't give a shit if Ibos stay or go, it would be nice if we could all get along but quite honestly if your wahala is becoming too much, if the seeds of hatred become too toxic then left to me carry yourselves and go, itls not by force, I wish you well. Your problem isn't Yoruba we dont care!! but I can tell you that minorities in Biafra who own the Oil you are banking on may be quiet but I'm sure they remember the treatment you meted out to them during the war and how it was clear they were going to be second class citizens in any Biafra had secession succeeded. Furthermore and most importantly, the North is not going to alllow you to take the Oil. The Northerners also know that if the Ibos go, Yorubas will go (we were the most developed region before Oil came and still are) and if you understand the history of the fulanis, Dan Fodio and the Nigerian conquest, you will know that as far as the Fulanis are concerened Nigeria must remain one, they will not give it up, so you can be sure to expect full force of the Nigerian army. If you are still psychologically damaged by a civil war that you werent even around to witness and you are agitating for war then it shows how stupid you are. Because if we do go to war Nigeria will win, millions more will die again in "Biafra", which will be the theater where the war is fought and it will all be for nothing, because you will still be part of Nigeria but worse off as a people.

However the real reason why Biafra will never happen is the Ibo elite have too many investments in Nigeria to quit, so the riff-raff can make all the noise they want, it's never going to happen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by datigbogirl: 10:56pm On Feb 13, 2016
seunmsg:

You don't go to war based on emotions, you go to war based on necessity and pragmatism. The European union with their NATO forces had every reason to go to war with Russia over Ukraine, but they decided otherwise despite the provocation.

Apart from declaring a war he wasn't prepared for, Ojukwu committed war crimes against the people of mid-west region. Go and read the story of how the people of Abudu, women and children were completely wiped out.

And please, tribalism played no role in my opinion. I already accepted that war crimes were committed on both sides. You are the one defending your tribal hero here. Let's call a spade a spade, Ojukwu is a war criminal.

You're so filled with tribalism you can't even see you just gave d ryt answer in your 2nd paragraph dat he committed war crimes....ds is wat rightfully labels one a war criminal just like Taylor, Assad etc....

So if NATO went to war with Russia even if they were ill-prepared it makes them a war criminal? If i refuse to be oppressed by someone stronger dan me & end up losing the fight you'll add salt to injury in d court by calling me a criminal because i wasn't stronger hence not equipped & prepared for a fight...

Your thinking nauseates me. Bye.
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Panzerfaust(m): 11:15pm On Feb 13, 2016
chukwudi44:

Ojukwu did not line women and children to shoot to death.Murtala did,No wonder the coward died like a chicken.
Coward? Ahahahah! Murtala went around without an escort. No coward does that! What of Ojukwu that ran away to Abidjan when Federal troops were close, leaving Effiong and co to handle the surrender!!! How more cowardly can that be!

5 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by kaakumme: 11:16pm On Feb 13, 2016
mtswww. . .

igbos! igboss!! are very useless people with empty space for thought in their skul. . .
I SWEAR , that Ojokwu is the only and unique corward who lead his ppl unto adversity state and later on run to ivory coast . wont u blame that corwadice?
greedeness couldnt allow u to say true.

if i cud do some miracles then i can easily brainwash all their minds. imagine! a fool , illiterate dirty Igbo villager thinking he is more wiser than whole nigerians bt only in his on eyes .

one love to our fallen heroes , one love patriotic nigerians , one love ODUDUWA!

murtala gave MKO ABiola contracts that made him among d then world rich person.

he died like a hero . a real Hero!

4 Likes

Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by santino09: 11:41pm On Feb 13, 2016
I wonder if murtala mohammed prayed for forgiveness for the asaba killings just before he was shot 40years ago.....
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by cliffbecks: 11:44pm On Feb 13, 2016
Spanner4:
Who is murtala Mohammed? I don't knw who he is
Check your N20 note that is him ,again he expended /created the 19 states in Nigeria.
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by omozu1(m): 11:55pm On Feb 13, 2016
i do not know why they always celebrate this man?
what was it that he did for this country that i do not know?
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by Spanner4(m): 11:58pm On Feb 13, 2016
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

I am sure you don't know anything

gringrin

I don't knw anyth but u re a cowboy(Adamu d cowboy) sounds like a story in one of those books my younger broda read while in primary sch
Re: Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) by mightyhaze: 12:19am On Feb 14, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

Actually, thats false. For example, his Army annihilated the whole whole town of Abudu (in Present day Edo state) just because they were predominantly Muslim, dressed like the Northerners and spoke no Igbo. How would you describe Genocide if someone asked you to?

You shouldn't point fingers in a war, lest your opponent can't point his because it has been chopped off by your sword. At least you're all on here everyday, by the dozen, in droves, always crying, accusing everyone else of "killing" you in 1967-70. But take a wild guess why you don't hear anyone crying on behalf of the people of Abudu?

Thats right. Theres noone left.
ur an icon in lying. Lie muhamed dey learn for where u dey. Abudu massaccre?? My friend,..there is only one reason am replying u,....so dat ur paranoid misanthropic lying mind will not start believin ur own lies. THERE WAS NOTHING LIKE ABUDU MASSACRE.....,abudu ppl don't dress like muslim notherners,plus a sizeable population of abudu ppl are igboid. U lying moran

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Government Begins House-to-house Sharing Of Stimulus Package To The Aged / Supreme Court: Celebration In Imo As Uzodinma Is Declared Winner / 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Osinbajo And INEC Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.