Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,044 members, 7,835,519 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill (20117 Views)

Nigeria’s New Money Laundering Bill Will Weaken Anti-corruption Fight — Falana / Pass Money Laundering Bill, Buhari Tells NASS / New Money Laundering Bill: 7-year Prison Term Without Option Of Fine Awaits Offe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by keypad1: 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ggg
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by gigabyte13: 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
I love that part " without an option of a fine " chai yam eaters are in serious gbege.

Baba giving looters and their supporters sleepless night daily.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by abbey621(m): 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
This is a welcomed start, more bills like this and corruption would be gasping air in bid to survive......#UpNigeria
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by efilefun(m): 8:39pm On Feb 18, 2016
Caseless:
trust the NASS at your peril.
Patiently waiting on our Twitter senatorial district head to say something about this bill, maybe he could champion it or trash it/ remain siddon look in the house
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by 3rdlegxxx(m): 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
patrickmuf:
Not adequate but a step in the right direction...
I'd suggest a minimum of 25yrs jail term for offenders and a fine of N500m for institutions found wanting...If we must get it right, we must support this bill by pressuring our NASS members online and offline especially that twitter senator

PATRICK YOU ARE THE MAN, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, LET'S SUPPORT AND ALSO MAKE THE NASS UNCOMFORTABLE, THOSE GUYS ARE BIG TIME CRIMINALS, THEY WOUDN'T WANT THIS BILL PASSED IN TIME, LET'S BEGIN TO LEND OUR VOICES AGAINST THE FIGHT AGAINST CORRUPTION BOTH ONLINE AND OFFLINE.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by kuuljay(m): 8:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
PeinDanzo:

Place ur head on ur computer and receive sense!!
give him a superior argument instead to prove you are properly educated bro
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Caseless: 8:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
efilefun:
Patiently waiting on our Twitter senatorial district head to say something about this bill, maybe he could champion it or trash it/ remain siddon look in the house
maybe, his attention should be called to this on twitter since that's his constituency.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by porozhniy(m): 8:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
A step in the right direction. How do we prevent govt. at all levels from padding contracts and awarding same contracts to themselves using phony companies?
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by dokunbam(m): 8:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
We still get hope bro.

Always wishing the best for my country

We can do little from here

We will continue to wish, hope and pray for a better Nigeria

Good bless the Federal republic of Nigeria

More wisdom to the President
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
nice step in d right direction
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by austinvsb1(m): 8:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
I hope Ben Murray Bruce will be active enough to give this bill it's necessary twitter publicity..
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by emorse(m): 9:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
The twitter pros(I'm not very twitter savvy) should please start the hash tag. I'm eager to post it anywhere "postable".

Besides, I think this should be called "our" anti money laundering bill.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Elosky20: 9:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
PeinDanzo:

Place ur head on ur computer and receive sense!!
Recieve sense IJN
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by sonofthunder: 9:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
7years? was expecting 20 - 30years jail term
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by emzila(m): 9:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
k
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by emzila(m): 9:15pm On Feb 18, 2016
I love the no fine option part of the bill
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by chincent: 9:20pm On Feb 18, 2016
Baba no too try for the jail term, to me is too small. If someone that is found guilty of Homosexual will be jail for 14 years, and someone that launderd public money will only get 7 years, that is real injustice. Jail term for any body that launderd publc money suppose to be 25 years in prison without any fine or option.
Is like Baba him self is afraid.. smiley
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by PeinDanzo(m): 9:23pm On Feb 18, 2016
Elosky20:

Recieve sense IJN

Concession accepted smiley
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by PeinDanzo(m): 9:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
kuuljay:
give him a superior argument instead to prove you are properly educated bro

Emm ..must I remided u u have a waec to prepared for?
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by johhnnie(m): 9:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
Iroh88:
The recommended punitive reprimand for flouting this law, if it sees the light of day, is grossly insufficient for me as a deterrent. The jail time for the offender is short and the minimum fine for the financial institutions involved is too small.

We need a lot more drastic means if we want to really discourage these folks from getting their hands soiled.

Regardless, this is really commendable from the president. Gradually but surely, we'd build institutional frameworks that make looting very unattractive for our politicians and businessmen. It was what I voted him for, it is exactly what he's doing.

Just like Obiagelli said, my loyalty to Nigeria and her president remain firmly intact. All he needs is time. If after four years he gives me sufficient reasons to think otherwise, they so shall it be.

God bless Nigeria.
if the punitive measure is too harsh, it will give room for corrupt judge to negotiate with or be induced by defaulters . I think it was crafted to elicit convictions and such convicts, will have a field day in the court of the public opinion whose awareness via means such as the social media is ever increasing by the day
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
Topeakintola:
This is an opportunity for the Senate and HOR to step up and enshrine this bill into law

Regardless of your political affiliation, it is glaring that corruption is slowly eating up the country alive

This is a good bill that will provide institutional reforms in the country's public sector and also led to overall change
these are bills thieves in the house would never pass..except the likes of ben Murray bruce...
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by sonnie10: 9:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by musicwriter(m): 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
Caseless:

Culled from:

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/buharis-anti-money-laundering-bill/

There's no need for any money laundering control unit, cause we already have the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit which I believe is under the EFCC. What the president is proposing is exactly their job!. In this country the problem hasn't always been making new laws but enforcing it.

Nigerian elites and ruling class does not obey the law. That's a major problem for this country.

About Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit, details at: http://www.nfiu.gov.ng/index.php/nfiu

Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by sonnie10: 9:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
sonnie10:
However, another hope to tackle money laun­dering cases in Nigeria has been rekindled by President Buhari, who recently sent the “Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibi­tion) bill 2016” to the National Assembly for con­sideration. In analysis, the bill seeks to establish Bureau for Money Laundering Control (BMLC), which would be independent in the discharge of its functions and responsibilities. According to the “Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) bill 2016”, any perpetrator of the crime is defined as “a person who knows, ought reasonably to have known or suspects that property has a criminal origin, commits an offence, if he conceals, dis­guises, converts, transfers or removes the property from Nigeria. The bill prescribes stiff penalty for anybody found culpable of the offence and upon conviction shall be in imprisonment for a term of not less than seven years without the option of a fine. Under the “Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) bill 2016”, any bank that is found guilty of money laundering would be liable for the fine of not less than N25 million and a designated non-financial business and profession would get a fine of not less that N10 Million if found guilty of the offence. The proposed bill also stipulates three years imprisonment or above for anybody that fails to report persons involved in the illicit act.

It is self-evident that Buhari’s anti-money laun­dering bill is in tandem with the urgent necessity to establish a formidable financial intelligence body to combat money laundering, terrorist financing activities and other predicate offences in Nige­ria. Such a body — as required under the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2012 (as amended), the Terrorism (Prevention) Act 2013 (as amended) or any other relevant law or regulation — would have mechanisms for sound policy and decision – making requiring adequate, quality and timely information analysis necessary for tracking and choking off the flow of proceeds from illicit activi­ties that could impact negatively on our economy and national security in a more deeply or rapidly way.

In essence, the banks can launder #500M since it is free money that they did not work for, then they pay the #25M fine. Still a win win situation for the banks and their cronies.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by eph12(m): 9:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
Endorsed! kiss
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Mackson01: 9:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
Good one
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by plaetton: 10:21pm On Feb 18, 2016
Can someone please define money laundering for me , so I can figure out why we are so gung ho about outlawing it.

The reason I say that is that nations like like Britain have long served as the money laundering capital of the world.
In fact, the economy depends on float of unregulated funds in the economy.

In the USA, there are estimates of $800 billion dollars in informal funds floating within the economy at any given time.
If you consider that $770 billion were used to bail out the USconomy in 2008, then
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
Death penalty for any case of corruption won't be bad o, na once corruption go vanish.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by Trendishine: 10:23pm On Feb 18, 2016
#NASSPASSTHEANTIMONEYLAUNDERINGBILLNOW
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by habsydiamond(m): 10:24pm On Feb 18, 2016
This is what we are talking about. Even if implemented it may not be used. We ve had about some here passed bills in the past but ended up not observed. If the bill can be observed, nigeria will be free of corruption. Its time to lift this country back to where our forefather stopped the good work. And lift nigeria from ants of africa back to the giants of africa. Naija shall survive.
Re: Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill by plaetton: 10:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
Can someone please define money laundering for me , so I can figure out why we are so gung ho about outlawing it.

The reason I say that is that nations like like Britain have long served as the money laundering capital of the world.
In fact, the economy depends on float of unregulated funds in the economy.

In the USA, there are estimates of $800 billion dollars in informal funds floating within the economy at any given time.
If you consider that $770 billion were used to bail out the US economy back in 2008, then you immediately recognize the economic importance of $800 billion float of laundered funds within the economy.
Despite their lipservice to anti-money laundering, the US Treasury recognizes the economic importance of the $800 billion float of laundered money in the economy.

Now, African leaders, more Catholic than the Pope, never seem to a common sense approach towards dealing with their own peculiar problems.

My point is that too many bureaucratic restrictions on the free flow of money and capital would tend to choke and strangle our already comatose, non- productive economy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onnoghen Is Being Arraigned In Court, Babchir Is Campaigning For Buhari - Reno O / Kogi Govt Owing Workers 38 Months Salaries – Nigeria Labour Congress / COZA: Oby Ezekwesili Queries Police Over Motive Of Invitation To Timi And Busola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.