Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food (1897 Views)

Top Quality Pedigree Rottweiler Studs And Puppy Available @DG Kennels / G / Adult And Puppy Dogs For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food by k9kennels: 10:10am On Feb 17, 2016
A lot of what you see on a pet food label is marketing. Pictures of handsome dogs or appealing foods and even words like “holistic,” “ancestral,” “instinctual,” or “premium” have no bearing on what’s inside. But there are important differences between foods designed for adult dogs and puppies.

Reputable manufacturers produce foods that follow the guidelines put forth by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). The attached table compares the AAFCO minimum requirements for a variety of vital nutrients.

Puppies need to eat more in the way of protein (including higher concentrations of specific amino acids), fat, and certain minerals than do adult dogs. Additionally, many manufacturers provide higher amounts of nutrients that are not regulated by AAFCO in their puppy foods. Good examples are the omega-3 fatty acids that have been shown to promote healthy brain and eye development in young animals.

The caloric density of foods designed for adults and puppies can also be very different. Growth and development take a lot of energy, so puppies need to take in more calories than do adult dogs of a similar size.

Large breed puppies have an extra consideration. They are at higher than average risk for developmental orthopedic diseases (e.g., hip and elbow dysplasia). Overly rapid growth appears to be an important factor in determining which individuals develop these conditions and which do not. Large breed puppy foods are slightly lower in fat, contain a little less calcium and phosphorus, and have a carefully balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio to help these dogs grow at a healthier rate.

When puppies have reached approximately 80% of their expected adult size, they can usually be switched to an adult dog food. This happens at different times for different individuals. Extremely small dogs (e.g., Chihuahuas, Miniature Pinschers, and Toy Poodles) reach this point first, usually at around 9 or 10 months of age. Medium sized dogs should eat puppy food until they are about 12 months old, and large and giant breeds should continue until they are 12-16 months old.

Puppies are at risk for nutritional deficiencies if they eat a diet designed for adults. Some adults (particularly athletic individuals or females who are pregnant or lactating) can thrive on the higher concentrations of protein, fat, and other nutrients found in puppy food, but most should be switched to an adult food when the time is right. Not doing so can increase the chances that your dog will become overweight or obese.

Talk to your veterinarian if you have any questions about which food is right for your dog.

Re: Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food by Stancrus(m): 6:04pm On Feb 17, 2016
took time to read every thing word to word and I most say ur very correct

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food by lolahemp: 1:37pm On Nov 13, 2018
Some work for take specific nutritional enhancements or more vitamins. And more and more, they’re prospective to stretch good them to their pets, too. Natural Anxiety Relief for Dogs & Cats
Re: Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food by JavieCoentr: 7:38am On Feb 24, 2020
ChrisMenzie:
Hey, man. It goes without saying, that there is some difference in this food - first, when dog is young, it can't eat bones, meat, rigid food, because it doesn't have a good tooth and its stomach can't digest such food. Moreover, dogs during growing need a lot of calories, that is why it's so necessary to feed dogs with good food. As for me, I feed my dear Lola with Raw dog food, and you know, its shinier coats, become healthier skin, cleaner teeth, it's level of energy is higher and it's stools become smaller. There is only one moment, if you have children at home, then raw food isn't your choice, because there is a risk of becoming sick through bacteria contained in raw meat. Summarizing, I want to say, that there are different types of raw food, which is suited as for young, as for adult dogs, but doctors and scientists don't recommend feeding your dog with it, if you have children at home.
Where can I find some more feedback about this?
Re: Difference Between Adult Dog Food And Puppy Food by explosiveskull(m): 6:10pm On Feb 24, 2020
Immediately I saw that the protein need of puppy and adult dog differed in your write up I decided to disagree with it. It has been proven even in the wild that the protein requirements for a dog doesn't reduce as it grows to an adult but at old age, they may be required to be fed with some tailored kind of protein.

(1) (Reply)

Russian Imported Male Caucasian At 11months For Sale...with Pedigree Document / Caucasian Puppy For Sell / My Eskimo Is Too Aggressive, How Can I Stop This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.