Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,742 members, 7,955,829 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:22 PM

Is Commercial Property Really An Investment - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is Commercial Property Really An Investment (16530 Views)

Commercial Property For Sale Along Ikorodu Road, Onipanu Lagos / Commercial Property For Sale @ Kuto Market,abeokuta / Commercial Property FOR SALE Apongbon Lagos Island, Lagos Nigeria ₦90,000,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by erico2k2(m): 10:34am On Mar 02, 2016
chigoizie7:

Aside any other thing u said. Why are we always over pricing things in nigeria?

That 3.5 million can't get a decent 3bedroom flat?

Bros, maybe u are part of the people that spends money anyhow.

I might not have built my own house, but I have handled others, believe u me, I know better. A 3bedroom double flat fit for people to live in, I know 5million did that comfortably. So, why can't 3.5 do a single flat?
Ok try and go step by step how yoy gonna achieve this. Cost of land.labour materials etc.
My foundation of 1 bed flat 2 bed flat (storey building )and 3 bed duplex cost in excess of N3.5. No joke
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by Chinom(m): 10:37am On Mar 02, 2016
erico2k2:

To your 2nd paragraph. I would say wrong cos in PH you can get N4M land and still charge that much.mine is that range

My reference point was Lagos. Don't know about PH. You can that kind of rent in Magodo or Ikeja, Allen/Opebi axis. But an empty land is in the range of N15 to 20M.

There are many viable ways to turn your money over quickly.

1 Like

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by hotmas911(m): 10:51am On Mar 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

What if you're a developer that built flats and sold them upon completion for a profit. Let's say 6 months to a year.

Isn't this short term real estate investment?
Sir, there is more to building and selling blocks of flats than we know. It's just very few people that can outrightly pay for a finished house. Most developers sell on instalments. That is why you see them always making advertisements all over the media. You also have to consider how much they blow on that.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:
Sir, there is more to building and selling blocks of flats than we know. It's just very few people that can outrightly pay for a finished house. Most developers sell on instalments. That is why you see them always making advertisements all over the media. You also have to consider how much they blow on that.

You haven't answered the question that I posed.

Please try to answer as direct as possible.

Is specifically building flats for sale a short or long term investment?
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by InvertedHammer: 10:59am On Mar 02, 2016
/
I consider commercial real estate as a backup plan than an investment. It takes decades to establish positive cash flow. The only way it could be an investment is if the complex is built with a loan, and after mortgage payments, there are residual incomes from the rent at the end of the month or years as the case may be.

/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by erico2k2(m): 10:59am On Mar 02, 2016
Chinom:

My reference point was Lagos. Don't know about PH. You can that kind of rent in Magodo or Ikeja, Allen/Opebi axis. But an empty land is in the range of N15 to 20M.

There are many viable ways to turn your money over quickly.
Ok fair enough regards income from rent
Check this narrative
A Medical doctor will gain more in his return on investment if he builds a hospital than a business man who builds one.Property Biz is oneof the leading from of biz in the west.we keep forgetting the equity ur house holds. That's one major factor.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by erico2k2(m): 11:01am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:
Another wrong assumption. They developers sell to the bank who in turn sell to the end user in form of mortgage. Developers won't tie thier funds for 20 years banks can.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by hotmas911(m): 11:01am On Mar 02, 2016
Ayloaded04:

You didn't take into consideration the fact that property investment has an hedge against inflation unlike cashew plantation. Rent won't remain stagnant and rental increments are a lot higher than that of agric produce
Sir, can you please explain the hedge property investment has over cashew. I am assuming you don't have enough knowledge about cashew plantation. Do you have the idea of how cashew nut has been fairing in the last 10 years? Kindly take time to find out and you will see the reality I'm trying to show you.

1 Like

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by hotmas911(m): 11:07am On Mar 02, 2016
erico2k2:

Another wrong assumption. They developers sell to the bank who in turn sell to the end user in form of mortgage. Developers won't tie thier funds for 20 years banks can.
This is very wrong and far from the truth in fact misleading. How many Nigerian banks buy finished property from developers? It seems you don't understand how Nigeria's banking system and real estate business work. Or better still, give me list of properties sold to banks in Nigeria.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by Biafrarep(m): 11:09am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:

Cc Yak
You are right, real estate is a long term business. I have seen real estate investor who went into agriculture. Simply by buying massive land and cultivating crops like cashew( also inter-cropping with short term crops) and they end up generating returns right from the first four months of investment. The advantage is that they can still use such land as collateral for other business.
Pls how profitable is plantain or banana plantation on a plot of land? I want to build a hostel on it in the long run when finance is more stable. Is there any other crop with better prospects for profit than plantain/banana I can plant there??
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by gifted2020(m): 11:12am On Mar 02, 2016
Another source of getting your returns is buying lands from outskirts (like Abuja) and developing it, or leaving it for sometime and later resell it to get your capital and always a huge interest accrued.

1 Like

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by hotmas911(m): 11:13am On Mar 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You haven't answered the question that I posed.

Please try to answer as direct as possible.

Is specifically building flats for sale a short or long term investment?
to answer you sir. The process you explained can not be called investment. So I can't call it long-term or short term investment. That is not different from what manufacturers do. They buy raw materials, put them together and create a product and then sell. That can not be called investment.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:
to answer you sir. The process you explained can not be called investment. So I can't call it long-term or short term investment. That is not different from what manufacturers do. They buy raw materials, put them together and create a product and then sell. That can not be called investment.

This must be a Nigerian thing.

Certainly building a block of apartments by a group of investors is indeed short term investment. Alternatively, if it ends up being rented units then it's long term investment.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by AreaFada2: 11:28am On Mar 02, 2016
yak:

am really loving this.
on d other hand, if u build a house, u can remove your eyes from it, visit once in a while. but d cashew plantation would need ur physical presence and employment of hands. I have tot abt palm plantation but I dnt av d time to giv to it cos am in a full time job

Exactly. Huge gains can be projected from business investment BUT there are many economic and human factors to be considered. I have done several businesses by proxy. Cars, exporting medical consumables to 9ja, running a farm, etc. All ended up same way. Once you're not there to manage it, 4get it. The promises made by employees or manager never materialise. The desire to make quick money has spoiled 9ja business. Everybody wants to fill own pockets quickly. Same with those in diaspora who started bakeries, hotels, schools, etc.

If you're going to manage it yourself, fine. At least if you don't succeed, it's not due to lack of commitment, someone siphoning your hard earned money or any form of dishonesty.

If you are busy, real estate with genuine land documents remains the best way to build solid and low risk assets for the future.

4 Likes

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by des4ella(m): 11:30am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:
Commercial property investment like residential apartments is for those who choose to play safe. It is a game for those who value security over freedom. There are better ways to invest in real estate than just building apartments for rent. But if done through a good mortgage plan it might be a good investment.
I love getting more with less. There are other real estates plans with the potential of generating invested amount as yearly return. For example you can invest 3.5 millions like the OP said and be making about 3.5 million annually from same or be making 200k like the in rental property. It's a case of thinking outside the box. Which do you want security or freedom.
like building the house and selling it to double the amount u invested.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by bellarmine: 11:43am On Mar 02, 2016
This is a great thread and topic!

Being thinking on this for long...However my 2kobo is this;

To me, I prefer investing in students hostel or lodge structure than in family houses(i.e bungalows, flat systems).

As someone said earlier, that you can make between 900k-1million annually from a 3 bedroom flat:

Know it that the cost of erecting the structure at such high-paid area will be very costly--way up above 11million. But from my observations, it doesn't take anything less than 9-13years to recover your investment on bungalows and flat-system accommodations. Unlike when you invest in students hostel/lodging structures.

So, my reasons for students' accommodation is that...

---With relatively low capital, you can get better yield especially when you discover a proposed school site and get land there early enough.

Let's take a very simple and codely economical case study in Enugu...nsukka to be precise.

2 plots of land around UNN (University of Nigeria,Nsukka) will go between 4-6million. With this at hand, you can go only for ground-floor lodge/hostel. Cost of foundation is highly reduced, no need for much rods in the foundation. Even if you decide to do a foundation for a storey hostel, is till great and cost effective.

These 2 plots will give you not less than 30-self con rooms. And a room goes between 90-120k per year.

The cost of erecting this structure with tiled floor, and with well-arranged compound will range between 6-10million. Of course been a relatively local area, you will get cheap Labour with good output. Packaged Labour personnel are yet to start that nonsense here...just like is been done at the Lagos Islands, Abuja, PH,etc.

So, with 13-16million you have 30 self-con rooms excluding one or two stores.

Say the rent goes for 100k per year, we have 3million per year.

Do the maths and know the time of capital investment recoup and the ROI after 10years.

To me this is smarter...

PS: Ignore my typo errors...I am currently in a hospital. Typed this while carrying my 1 week old niece...waiting to be immunized(BCG things). Hope I made some sense...couldn't have allowed this thread to pass by...Lol.

7 Likes

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by erico2k2(m): 11:43am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:
This is very wrong and far from the truth in fact misleading. How many Nigerian banks buy finished property from developers? It seems you don't understand how Nigeria's banking system and real estate business work. Or better still, give me list of properties sold to banks in Nigeria.
Go to ur bank and enquire about mortgage. People seem to forget these services are for every one.you need to have some %deposit though. Wen I say Bank it dosnt mean your everyday bank. Some of these investment coy are on NL
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by paix(m): 11:45am On Mar 02, 2016
agriboom:
Not that great of an investment, you always use almost half of the rent to fix it up when ever a tenant packs out, so make your 15yrs calculation x2.

Develop and sell, that's the right way to go as far as property is concerned
I am on your side totally. I had a similar experience when a tenant packed out of the house, I spent almost the amount I rented the house to renovate it. I have now resorted to outright sell instead of renting out.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by lilreese: 11:49am On Mar 02, 2016
Ok
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by paix(m): 11:50am On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:
Commercial property investment like residential apartments is for those who choose to play safe. It is a game for those who value security over freedom. There are better ways to invest in real estate than just building apartments for rent. But if done through a good mortgage plan it might be a good investment.
I love getting more with less. There are other real estates plans with the potential of generating invested amount as yearly return. For example you can invest 3.5 millions like the OP said and be making about 3.5 million annually from same or be making 200k like the in rental property. It's a case of thinking outside the box. Which do you want security or freedom.
Please shade more light, I want to secure my freedom.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by 100Cents: 12:12pm On Mar 02, 2016
yak:
Fellow Nairalanders, av bn thinking this in my mind and I decided to throw it open to the public: does building a commercial house especially residential a competitive investment judging by what u spend building the apartment and what u eventually get as rent.
for example, u spend say 3.5m to build a 2bedroom Bungalow. on a rent of 200k, it wil take 15years or so to recoup meanwhile I estimated that rent may go up every 5yrs. So, lets look at it 2geda

N3.5m for a 2 bedroom bungalow is high. Yes, because if you can build 4 units of it together sitting on one plot of land, you wont need up to N14m. You need to employ Economy of Scale.

For me, i would build 12 bedroom self contained apartments on one plot and collect N100,000 per room. That is N1.2m per year.

Both land and building wont cost me up to N15m.

Every business has a secret.

1 Like

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by 100Cents: 12:14pm On Mar 02, 2016
hotmas911:

N3.5m to earn N3.5m per annum.

Explain further.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by tunde2222: 12:33pm On Mar 02, 2016
Highly informative. But can u please share ur experience on how you relate with your staffs in d farming biz. Cos I was once into farming and I noticed d way workers (farm workers) in d rural areas reason is to milk u dry afterall u can't do all d job urself. I eventually lost a lot of money.
hotmas911:
Commercial property investment like residential apartments is for those ho choose to play safe. It is a game for those who value security over freedom. There are better ways to invest in real estate than just building apartments for rent. But if done through a good mortgage plan it might be a good investment.
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by obisun(m): 12:34pm On Mar 02, 2016
Following!
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by tunde2222: 12:45pm On Mar 02, 2016
You spoke my mind
erico2k2:

I see your point. But let me also say.you forgot to put in the actual overhead cost.
Risk factor
Anxiety
Environmental factors
Buyers.
Sturdies have proven land never depriciate in Nigeria
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by tunde2222: 12:48pm On Mar 02, 2016
And d stealing part of it
laprince:

When you're not so financially buoyant, you can finance the weeding, staff salaries, harvesting and other activities in the farm.

Love the idea anyways.

1 Like

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by tunde2222: 12:50pm On Mar 02, 2016
And if it is dat favourable, y is he advertising land 2 be sold. He shld put dem to agric usage
erico2k2:

I see your point. But let me also say.you forgot to put in the actual overhead cost.
Risk factor
Anxiety
Environmental factors
Buyers.
Sturdies have proven land never depriciate in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 02, 2016
Given my limited information in personal finance, putting my hard earned money into a renting/commercial house was one of most foolish financial experiences.

Land almost always appreciates; the same can't be said of building/apartments. I've sunk over 8 million into a 3- bedroomed apartment, though I used very costly materials, especially during the finishing stage. The land for purchased for a little over 2 million. The remaining cost before giving the property for rent will still gulp close to 2 million. That will approximate everything to about 12 million. The average rent for the apartment at the location is 500, 000 per annum. Given all foreseeable circumstances, it will take me more than 20 years before I'll start making good returns on the money- not even adding the fact that the building will depreciate within this period and will require some renovation costs from me. All in all, I can't wait for 2 decades before I start making profit. I consider this very weak; more of security than freedom.

How much will I get assuming I fix 12 million for fix deposit at about 10% per annum? At least 1.2 million. If that happens for 20 years, I'll get close to 36 million - far better than the rent business. The more risks we take, the more money we get.

As at when I started the building, land was selling around 3.5 million per plot. Now it sells for about 4.5 million. I would have made better returns if I had used the 8 million to purchase two plots and have them secured. SMH.

I'm NOT discouraging anyone from going into commercial house business unless you are comfortable with meagre returns in decades but any smart person should simply buy more lands and sell later OR develop a property and sell later.

I'm a good risk taker and it's my belief that such rent business will not meet my financial goals in life.

4 Likes

Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by hotmas911(m): 1:37pm On Mar 02, 2016
erico2k2:

Go to ur bank and enquire about mortgage. People seem to forget these services are for every one.you need to have some %deposit though. Wen I say Bank it dosnt mean your everyday bank. Some of these investment coy are on NL
So what you are saying is a salary earner can just build a block of apartments and sell to banks? For real
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by olumide4christ: 2:02pm On Mar 02, 2016
sanerugwei:
But again olumide4Christ...
Your assumption about cost of land and rental price are not in sync.

The higher the rent you can charge, then much more higher is the cost of the land in such locality.
The cost of land in a place where you can rent up to 900K will not be less than 15Million.
Building cost in such area will also be far higher...

This is a very educative trade..keep it coming, you guys...

[b]I'm sorry Bros, but you are very wrong based on the bolded statement above. Please do more research.

I bought a plot of land in Abuja in one of the estates around Trademoore estate, Lugbe, off the Airport road for N3 million + N2 million for infrastructures, making a total of N5 Million. Rent for 2 bedroom flat in that area goes btw N800,000 -N900,000 while 3-bedroom flat goes for N1.2 million.

You can get plots of land for N5-7 million in Ajah and environs and rent for 2 bedroom flat in that area goes for N800,000 and above. You can enquire from @3strike, a popular contributor here in properties section, look for his thread, he is rounding up his property in Ogombo, Ajah. I don't think those flats will be rented out for anything less than N800,000.

Even in my area here in Lagos, lands/old property are available for N9-10 million and rent for standard new 2-bedroom flat goes from N600,000 - N800,000 while 3-bedroom flat goes from N900,000 -N1.2 million.

I speak from experience as a construction professional, so I wasn't wrong in what I said.[/b]
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by olumide4christ: 2:11pm On Mar 02, 2016
greatiyk4u:

This is a great professional input.
However, the word "standard bungalow" as used here is relative and varies with taste and location.
A standard "commercial bungalow" can efficiently be constructed with less than 6M except in swampy locations where raft and even pile foundations are needed.

I equally doubt if u can get a plot of land for as low as 4M in a location that rent cost bw 700k-900k not forgetting the cost of maintenance of the structure over time.

From experience,research and expertise, the break even point of building investment is a minimum of 15years.

[b]Based on the bolded statement above, costs of land vary from place to place, also demand for housing varies from place to place. I presume you are speaking using Lagos as case study. However, what obtains in Lagos differs from some other places.

I bought a plot of land in Abuja in one of the estates around Trademoore estate, Lugbe, off the Airport road for N3 million + N2 million for infrastructures, making a total of N5 Million. Rent for 2 bedroom flat in that area goes btw N800,000 -N900,000 while 3-bedroom flat goes for N1.2 million.

You can get plots of land for N5-7 million in Ajah and environs and rent for 2 bedroom flat in that area goes for N800,000 and above. You can enquire from @3strike, a popular contributor here in properties section, look for his thread, he is rounding up his property in Ogombo, Ajah. I don't think those flats will be rented out for anything less than N800,000.

Even in my area here in Lagos, lands/old property are available for N9-10 million and rent for standard new 2-bedroom flat goes from N600,000 - N800,000 while 3-bedroom flat goes from N900,000 -N1.2 million.[/b]
Re: Is Commercial Property Really An Investment by olumide4christ: 2:22pm On Mar 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

What if you're a developer that built flats and sold them upon completion for a profit. Let's say 6 months to a year.

Isn't this short term real estate investment?

You are right, Egun Mogaji about build and sell being a short-term investment.

Build and sell is a totally different calculation from build and lease. One of the companies where I worked previously were into both systems of real estate. I spoke on build and lease becos that's the angle the OP was speaking from and he clearly doesn't have much knowledge of the real estate or construction business.

Developers who build and sell will almost always seek for OFFTAKERS, because there is a risk of completing such projects with borrowed funds and the properties may not be sold even after 1 year and meanwhile it would be expected that the repayment of the borrowed funds back to the banks would have commenced. Like I said above, the calculations are different.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What You Must Consider Before Buying A House / Solar Power N480k; Power 3bedroom; Iron, 2 Tvs, Deep Freezer. ETC / Land Investment Myths And The Truth About Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.