Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,164 members, 7,829,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn (25714 Views)

Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW / Jonathan Didn’t Order Electricity Tariff Reversal, Ex-nerc Chair Replies Fashola / FG Opposes Electricity Tariff Reversal, Backs NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 18, 2016
Gh
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by helphelp: 9:59am On Feb 18, 2016
Igboro ti daru
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by valkingsley(m): 10:00am On Feb 18, 2016
There have been black out in my area-Awka capital city of Anambra State since last week Friday. I hope they will find a better solution to alleviate the situation. It's killing us.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 18, 2016
Funny when I see people write, We used to it and to be honest that's the truth
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kennyman2000(m): 10:02am On Feb 18, 2016
phlemzy:
The earlier you realise that the current power sector cannot be sustained with the removal of fixed charges and reversal back to old rates,the better. Discos will not do a business without making profits. They need money pay workers' salaries,pay Gencos for the power supplied them, a fraction of their revenues will go to the transmission line maintenance firms, and even out of this revenue,they will still have to pay for the power losses due to the aging transmission lines. At start off point years back,they have loan facilities obtained by them which they still have to service. Getting another loan may not be a right choice for them when they know that the revenue they'll make will not sustain the running of the business. Its very unfortunate that we may keep hovering around 2000-4500MW at generation level since we all are not ready to tolerate any form of increment.

seems, you're fashola's PA. Can you give me a detailed explanation or analysis of how they spent Jonathan's bail out fund. If you can, i'll agree with all what u posted.

5 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by mauriceju2(m): 10:02am On Feb 18, 2016
But Oga body language is _______________________
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by femoDee: 10:04am On Feb 18, 2016
hahahahahaha!!! am not bother anyways, since my area had never seen light in going to two years. warefa for dem!!!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by blazetitov: 10:04am On Feb 18, 2016
This increment in tariff is for the generation companies and the gas suppliers. The gas suppliers are not part of the power sector, but they will not supply gas to our power stations if we don’t pay them.

“So, we’ve been talking about appropriate pricing of this product, and now somebody is playing politics with electricity. It is unacceptable and this has a lot of consequences. The first major consequence is darkness. If there’s no way we can sustain the industry, it will collapse. And now, the generator mafias will be happy because their expensive trade will thrive.

That would be the end result. No sensible businessman will continue to run a business that cannot even cover the attributable variable cost. Gas doesn't come cheap, it is costly not to mention the equipment and transmission lines. God have mercy on the country.

Senseless politicians!!

3 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by dejiboy: 10:06am On Feb 18, 2016
You really made sense,we have been sharing light in my area for a very long time .dey do one day on and one day off.when you are on you hardly get 6hrs light and at the end of the month we get 8-12thousand bill from ikeja disco.May God help us.
Inspectahdeck:
"Somebody is playing politics with electricity". I think this is the most stupid and sentimental seeking statement in 2016.

How can you buy or startup a business expecting to finance with customer's money? I blame the privatisation process of PHCN, it took awhile before they settled the FG.

For almost 2yrs, they charged 750 Naira as fixed charge per month (either you use their product or not). please multiply 750 by 1m people= 750,000,000..... and the greedy people are hoping for a 45% increase in tariff to operate.

What about estimated bills? What they do is the company zones a particular amount to an area or district and expect the marketers to distribute charges randomly to their customers. That is why a lot of people receive outrageous bills and they are reluctant to share meter to customers.

My advise to them, go to banks and seek loans with a plan on how to service and repay same. Like I always tell Ikeja electricity staffs, "do not forget you are a private company and can be sued. No light equal no finance and Government might revoke ownership".

For a week and half no light in my area. please share your experience in your area

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by dejiboy: 10:08am On Feb 18, 2016
We are not against them increasing tariff but let them install prepaid meters first dats all.
blazetitov:
That would be the end result. No sensible businessman will continue to run a business that cannot even cover the attributable variable cost. Gas doesn't come cheap, it is costly not to mention the equipment and transmission lines. God have mercy on the country.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by danielmichael(m): 10:08am On Feb 18, 2016
this is the first set of idiots and company buhari wud hv probed i swr...

hw cn yu willing to take a light uve not given for 2weeks now in my area..daaa God shall punish yu guys..

wich light re yu guys toking abt..is it the one frm hell fire or Ov

this piple re rilly working wid mosquitoes..
no light more mosquitoes..

unam
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by godoluwa(m): 10:08am On Feb 18, 2016
obailala:
Where would the power come from when the power companies claim they dont have enough revenue to even operate the present facilities, let alone improve?

I would rather say, "pre-paid meters before increment." With that, we know we only pay for what we use.
bt they are not ready to provide prepaid meters.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by bodyloveghetto(m): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2016
Poor man
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Inspectahdeck(m): 10:10am On Feb 18, 2016
you stated that "discos will not do business without making profit" very true but where I have a problem is when a business makes profit the ultimate. Power generation business is a long term profit orientated business, not short term.

From fixed charges and estimated bills they made billions of Naira, how did they spend same? Because if they reinvested the billions back into the system the sector would be better or at least improved from the previous state.

What about prepaid meters they refused to share? Let them share same before any increment. So customers know they are paying for what they consume.

phlemzy:
The earlier you realise that the current power sector cannot be sustained with the removal of fixed charges and reversal back to old rates,the better. Discos will not do a business without making profits. They need money pay workers' salaries,pay Gencos for the power supplied them, a fraction of their revenues will go to the transmission line maintenance firms, and even out of this revenue,they will still have to pay for the power losses due to the aging transmission lines. At start off point years back,they have loan facilities obtained by them which they still have to service. Getting another loan may not be a right choice for them when they know that the revenue they'll make will not sustain the running of the business. Its very unfortunate that we may keep hovering around 2000-4500MW at generation level since we all are not ready to tolerate any form of increment.

3 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by sirEAGLES(m): 10:13am On Feb 18, 2016
Abeg FG lets go back to NEPA. These PDP and GEJ family and friends that bought PHCN should be probed for illegal collection of fixed charges for over 2 years as well as lying to Nigerians about increasing power output
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by deolu2000(m): 10:14am On Feb 18, 2016
Who cares, we have been in blackout since time immemorial, only if they have gotten orders frm God to control the day into permanet night they i will take this serious.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by ziccog(m): 10:14am On Feb 18, 2016
phlemzy:
abeg make person hear word the tariff they have been collecting for only God knows how long what do they use it for?
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by jamst2(m): 10:15am On Feb 18, 2016
Huh! Well,this is what you get when you privatize all the resourses in the country...this is the fault of all the corrupt leaders.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by gidjah(m): 10:19am On Feb 18, 2016
We use to have two days On and Two Days Out,but now na 1day On and 6days Out!,what a wonderful nation naija is!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by paschu: 10:20am On Feb 18, 2016
obailala:
Where would the power come from when the power companies claim they dont have enough revenue to even operate the present facilities, let alone improve?

I would rather say, "pre-paid meters before increment." With that, we know we only pay for what we use.

MONEY IS IN THE BANK
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Inspectahdeck(m): 10:20am On Feb 18, 2016
My brother now add 45% increment to what you are paying.

They should give us prepaid meters and source their finance elsewhere.

dejiboy:
You really made sense,we have been sharing light in my area for a very long time .dey do one day on and one day off.when you are on you hardly get 6hrs light and at the end of the month we get 8-12thousand bill from ikeja disco.May God help us.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Firefire(m): 10:20am On Feb 18, 2016
idupaul:
I never taught I would say this but after hearing this cunning man speak I think it's high time the privatization be reversed because it's clear the owners of the discos are nothing but cut throat criminals ..Imagine they spent just 300 billion naira buying PHCN assets and immediately got a bailout of 500 billion from govt to get running, meaning the made an instant profit of 200 billion naira, for 2 years plus they collected an illegal monthly service charge of 750 for electricity not delivered and still there has been no remarkable increment in Electricity available. .Now this Idiot is threatening to throw the country into darkness if we don't pay him 45 percent more but funnily I haven't had light for 4 days straight up till now .so what darkness is the idiot speaking of.

You care to know the owners of the Discos ?

Eko Electricity Distribution Company - Mr. Charles Momoh (Chairman, West Power and Gas), Dr. Tunji Olowolafe {Fronting for BAT (Director, West Power and Gas), Mr. Ernest Orji (Director, West Power and Gas)

Jos Electricity Distribution Company - Alhaji Garba Mohammed Noma, is the key promoter of Aura Energy

Enugu Electricity Distribution Company - Sir Emeka Offor (Chairman, Interstate Electrics Limited)

Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, Yola Electricity Distribution Company - Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar (Chairman, Integrated Energy), Mr. Tunde Ayeni (Vice Chairman, Integrated Energy), Dr. Sola Ayandele (CEO Integrated Energy)

Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company - Mr. Augustine Nwokocha (Chairman, 4Power Consortium), Governors of Bayelsa, Cross River, Akwa Ibom and Rivers State.

Kano Electricity Distribution Company - Alhaji Yusuf Hamisu Abubakar (CEO, Sahelian Power), Alhaji Umaru Mutallab (Chairman, Sahelian Power)

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company
- Alhaji Shehu Malami (Chairman, KANN Consortium), Mr. Neil Croucher (CEO, KANN Consortium)

Benin Electricity Distribution Company - Mr. Victor Gbolade Osibodu (Chairman, Vigeo Holdings) Mrs. Funke Osibodu (CEO, Vigeo Power)

Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company - Mr. Kola Adesina (Chairman NEDC/KEPCO), Mr. Tonye Cole (CEO, Sahara Energy Group), Mr. Tope Shonubi (Executive Director, Sahara Energy Group)

http://energymixreport.com/privatized-power-assets-who-are-the-new-owners/

All individuals in the above list fronting for past corrupt politicians who has enriched themselves with Nigeria resources to perpetually enslave Nigerians.

Where do we go from here ? undecided embarassed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Snoolv360(m): 10:21am On Feb 18, 2016
I doubt if we are really serious in this country at all. The light is not stable and you are asking for increase in electricity tarrif. NERC or whatever your so called name is, GIVE A STABLE LIGHT FOR ONE MONTH and increase the tarrif now. You cannot boast of one day of stabble light and you want to collect money. May that light fire you NERC.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kjhova(m): 10:23am On Feb 18, 2016
obailala:

Whose idea was it to sell our power structrue to start up companies that "...dont have enough revenue to even operate the present facilities, let alone improve..."??

If it were possible without much legal crisis, I would have preferred that the whole privatisation process be reversed and the power companies re-sold afresh to more serious buyers.

The bid process which brought in the current players was a fraud and we are all paying for it now!!

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by alaskido(m): 10:24am On Feb 18, 2016
I think there are moles in the systems. The power company are making so much money but it is not being remitted to the central purse. Even if they increase the tariff, they will still not provide constant light as usual.

This same power company are providing light to neighbouring countries and making money from them. Who is fooling who?

If you like do not give us light for the next 30 years. We will do with our Generators or solar and inverters. Useless country of mediocre.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kjhova(m): 10:25am On Feb 18, 2016
kennyman2000:

seems, you're fashola's PA. Can you give me a detailed explanation or analysis of how they spent Jonathan's bail out fund. If you can, i'll agree with all what u posted.

GEJ didn't give a penny to any DISCO as bail out. The N200Bn you heard about was pure campaign propaganda.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kimmy0000: 10:26am On Feb 18, 2016
ednut1:
nigeria needs to be recolonised abeg or our govt nd institutions outsourced to other countries. Joke of a nation

That is the funniest yet the most truthful thing I have ever heard.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by MrEverest(m): 10:27am On Feb 18, 2016
Rubbish! millions of people including government agencies, individuals etc do not pay energy bills, they connive with corrupt phcn officials to evade payment by giving them bribes. They should make sure that everybody pays & they would more profit. You cant be giving epileptic power supply & still be talking about increment, are you mad?
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by HirstMOG(m): 10:28am On Feb 18, 2016
APSHIT supporters should keep clapping for Fashola, Daura clown and Lie Muhammed. Fashola is the right man for the job, so don't wail yet. Hypocrite government.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 18, 2016
They are silly goats, they are doing nothing to serve Nigerians before,
so why the sudden threatening of total blackout? I have been
experiencing just that for the past one year now in my area even after
contributions to repair our electricity transformer. They kept increasing
the tariff without improving their service.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

African Leaders To Withdraw Membership From ICC / Outrage As Two FG Agencies Sign Mou At COP28 / SSS Storms PDP National Secretariat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.