Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? (1077 Views)

DV: How Do You Manage A Deficient Wife? / My Wife To Be Has Anger Issue. How Do I Curtail It? / My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by boldx(m): 10:50am On Feb 18, 2016
Anger is a feeling of resentment or annoyance towards somebody or about something. It is a normal human emotion. However, when it gets out of control and becomes destructive, it can lead to severe problems at work, in your personal relationships, and in your overall perspective of life. Anger tends to control us so much and turn the best of days into our worst nightmare. It is a sudden ill-feeling that leaves the victim devastated and distraught if it is not managed properly.

People have various degrees of anger management issues. While some people have been able to manage theirs considerably, some people have not been able to put this ill feeling under control.

How do people handle anger?

I have interviewed a few children about the way they or their parents manage anger. A child told me that he was watching an Arsenal match with his dad and one particular player having missed a lot of chances of scoring goals, his dad just brought out the DStv remote and smashed it on the ground.

Another child told me that her mom had a call on her smartphone and while her younger brother was trying to help the mother get her expensive phone (from her handbag) across to her, mistakenly dropped it on the floor and the phone practically fell apart. This act infuriated the mom so much that she spanked the poor boy badly that the boy had to cry his heart out and go to sleep afterwards.

A teenager told me his dad just goes to sleep anytime he is angry while another teenager said her dad practically deprives her and her siblings from taking part in some activities they usually enjoy.

I have interacted with people who just complain about everything around them that after a while, i knew i had to withdraw from such people to prevent learning such attitudes.

Some spouses take pleasure in yelling at each other to vent their feelings of frustration, but does it really make them feel better? No, it certainly doesn't.

Here are some anger management tips you may wish to practice.

a) Think before you speak.
In the heat of your fury, always think before you say anything. It is better not to say anything you will regret much later.

b) Express your anger when you are calm
When you notice you are not 'boiling' anymore, you are free to express your concerns about the issue and get it thrashed out.

c) Go for exercise
Recurrent anger issues could be due to a build up of stress and disappointment. You may need to go for a walk or go to the gym to do some good exercise and calm your muscles.

d) Take a timeout
Adults need their own timeouts just as kids. You may need sometime out of your normal routine to read a novel, visit a friend, go watch a movie etc.

People have different temperaments and this affects the way they handle issues. Anger needs to be controlled as soon as it develops within us.This will help us make reasonable decisions we will not regret later on.

Visit www.naijahotwire.com
Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by Cutehector(m): 11:22am On Feb 18, 2016
I just keep quiet... in some situations I employ the silent treatment, den wait for things to boil down, dey I open up

1 Like

Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by Ewuro4: 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Discussed exact topic with kids yesterday and they came up with brilliant ideas to manage anger whenever frustrations crawl in or they're having a bad day:

1. Stress balls: this is a handheld squeaky/shy ball that works great.

2.Wackamole grin

3.Music

4.Time out /space

5. Walk /run around the block( works great for me)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by Cleo18: 11:39am On Oct 12, 2019
If I love you, I will shutoff from you, sometimes cry and keep you malice for a while but will always come around you again.

I have noticed anger is a very strong force, and it comes like a volcanic eruption. Anger is extremely dangerous.

For those who try to offend me or make me angry, I just pretend they don't exist. I greet them, I respond to them when they draw my attention to issues but surely they'll feel my not being concerned about anything they do.

Only those I love can make me angry, and when I get angry, sometimes I lose it. I lose it but not violently, I just go to a strange place to cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by abimbola74(m): 2:55pm On Oct 12, 2019
I put on a big grin buh if the provocation persist, then I start talking like I'm reading a newspaper buh abeg when I start talking , just Dnt provoke me any longer cos if you do then I laugh out loud and if it persist again ,sorry is ur case ooo..� I always put my anger in check anywyz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by Nobody: 4:12am On Oct 13, 2019
Enya music calms me down fast
Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by MissOffpoint(f): 8:40am On Oct 13, 2019
Silent treatment...
Re: Anger Management - How Do You Manage Anger? by Kayceenaz(m): 11:05am On Oct 13, 2019
Cleo18:
If I love you, I will shutoff from you, sometimes cry and keep you malice for a while but will always come around you again.

I have noticed anger is a very strong force, and it comes like a volcanic eruption. Anger is extremely dangerous.

For those who try to offend me or make me angry, I just pretend they don't exist. I greet them, I respond to them when they draw my attention to issues but surely they'll feel my not being concerned about anything they do.

Only those I love can make me angry , and when I get angry, sometimes I lose it. I lose it but not violently, I just go to a strange place to cry
Is it possible for person A who claims to have no affection for person B to complain with anger person B is frequently emotionally-draining in their interactions, because person B usually (with a significant degree of respect) expresses displeasure over how unconcerned person A is toward person B? If there is no romantic affection whatsoever, how come the emotional penetration?

(1) (Reply)

Who Should Marry First, The Son Or The Father? / A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter / What Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.