Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,159 members, 7,842,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

5 Strange Facts About Zidane - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 5 Strange Facts About Zidane (911 Views)

5 Things To Know About Zidane Resignation / 100 Facts About The 2018 World Cup. / Real Madrid, Zidane: "Ronaldo Will Make The Difference, As Always" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Strange Facts About Zidane by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 18, 2016
If you were born between the late 90s and the early 2000s, you might not have watched live videos of one of the best playmakers of all time. The Algerian-born footballer, most famous for his headbutt at the 2006 World Cup final, is a legend of the beautiful game. He often mesmerized opponents with his trademark 360 degrees spin, which kept most spectators at the edges of their seats.

The attacking midfielder had an exciting career representing Cannes, Bordeaux, Juventus and Real Madrid. During his stint with these clubs, he won several titles including the La Liga, Serie A, the UEFA Champions League, Intercontinental Cup and the UEFA Super Cup. He will be fondly remembered for his left-footed volley in the 2002 UEFA Champions League Final against Bayer Leverkusen, which handed his team the trophy. Zidane won the FIFA Player of the Year Award thrice and also enjoyed significant success with the French national team. His exploits at the 1998 FIFA World Cup final earned his team the winners’ medal, and he also re-created some exciting moments two years later to earn his team the Euro 2000 trophy. Socceramebo, therefore, presents 5 shocking facts about Zinedine Zidane, which you probably may not be aware of.

1. He scored only twice against opposition from South America

Zinedine Zidane has fond memories of World Cup finals. Do you remember when he headbutted Marco Materazzi at the 2006 World Cup Final? Well, he had happier memories before that incident.

The victory of Les Bleus at the 1998 World Cup Final was all down to the mastery and excellence of the playmaker. He scored twice to drown the Samba Boys and help his team to a 3-0 victory. Many people fail to know that those goals he scored against Brazil were the only goals he scored against South American opposition in his career. He scored 31 times in 108 appearances for the French national team, but the two goals he scored against Brazil in the World Cup Final may be rated as the most important in his entire career. Interestingly, those wee his only goals against South American opposition!

2. He observed cleaning punishment

Growing up in a poor and hostile surrounding comes with enormous disadvantages. Aside from the regular bouts of illness and hunger, one is expected to experience, the stress that comes with handling insults from individuals of better financial standing readily comes to mind.

Zidane suffered this fate when he arrived Cannes, as he assaulted a player who mocked his background. He was hit with cleaning duty as punishment for the violent act.

3. First French Player to be red-carded at the World Cup

I know your minds will race down to the incident at the 2006 World Cup final. Alas, Zidane earned his first World Cup red card long before then!

France played Saudi Arabia in their second game at the 1998 World Cup, and the game reached its climax when their talismanic playmaker was red-carded. He stamped on Faud Anwar which earned him his first red card at the World Cup – and the first red card for a French player in the same competition.

4. He got his first car at the age of 18!

The Frenchman debuted for Cannes at the tender age of 16. In a bid to motivate his young jewel, the President of the club promised Zidane a car gift when he scores his first goal for the club. At the age of 18, he scored his first goal for the club as they narrowly defeated Nantes 2-1. He claimed his car gift afterwards and went on to achieve bigger things in his career.

5. The Oldest winner of the World Cup Golden Ball

One of Zizou’s strongest points was his fitness. The playmaker was hardly on the treatment table for long, as he played an average of 25 games per season in his over 16 years footballing career.

Due to his fitness, he participated in the World Cup aged 33. Despite his old age, he was still able to impact on games, and this was evident in the thrilling quarter-final clash against Brazil. Before the commencement of the 2006 World Cup, everyone expected Ronaldinho to win the Golden Ball award considering his rich form. However, Zizou pulled a surprise as she performed optimally throughout the which earned him the Golden Ball as the best player of the tournament. By the time the final was played, he was already 34.

Source: http://socceramebo.com/2016/02/18/5-shocking-facts-about-zinedine-zidane/

Socceramebo.com ... Africa's fastest growing soccer punditry blog.

cc: Lalasticlala, ishilove, mynd44, Seun
Re: 5 Strange Facts About Zidane by prahcetomi(m): 1:57pm On Feb 18, 2016
Zidane baba....I salute you.If u come manage man u,man u go better...LVG don dey spoil am o.....Oya lalasticlala,Do that thing.
Re: 5 Strange Facts About Zidane by flowjoe: 6:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
prahcetomi:
Zidane baba....I salute you.If u come manage man u,man u go better...LVG don dey spoil am o.....Oya lalasticlala,Do that thing.
abeg make him stay dia, we get Giggs wey go fit perform well,
him get ginger + the players & fans get him back
Re: 5 Strange Facts About Zidane by prahcetomi(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
flowjoe:
abeg make him stay dia, we get Giggs wey go fit perform well, him get ginger + the players & fans get him back
mtn truetalk
Re: 5 Strange Facts About Zidane by Nobody: 2:39am On Feb 19, 2016
prahcetomi:

That LvG na scam. I wonder why we never sack am
Re: 5 Strange Facts About Zidane by Nobody: 2:40am On Feb 19, 2016
flowjoe:

abeg make him stay dia, we get Giggs wey go fit perform well,
him get ginger + the players & fans get him back

My mind dey tell me say Giggs no dey flow well with LvG
Re: 5 Strange Facts About Zidane by papazizii(m): 6:29am On Feb 19, 2016
#IWillNever4get2RemembU**zinedine zidne my role model

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nairabet Launches Global Bet Virtual Sports In Nigeria / Photos: Neymar's New Rio De Janeiro Mansion / I Might Not See Out Arsenal Contract – Arsene Wenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.