Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch (38203 Views)

Wale Aboderin, Punch Chairman, Is Dead! / Good Heartened Dangote Donates N500m To Kano Markets Fire Disaster Victims / Dollar Scarcity: Parents Of Overseas Students Weep In Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by NewsPoacher: 9:25am On Feb 20, 2016
http://www.punchng.com/traders-throng-aba-onitsha-lagos-kano-markets/

Nonye Ben-Nwankwo, Success Nwogu, Gbenro Adeoye, Armstrong Bakam and Nosa Akenzua

The scarcity of dollars in the country has left traders with no option than to be thronging some commercial cities in the country to buy goods in order to remain in business.

Some of the traders, who are majorly importers of textiles and other materials, resorted to thronging Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, and Kano markets, among others, due to the scarcity of dollar in both commercial banks and the black market.

According to the traders, the scarcity has continued to affect their businesses.

The traders claimed that they decided to buy from the local markets in order to meet the demands of their customers and to “avoid being pushed out of their sources of livelihood.”

The Managing Director, Ziza Cosmetics, Bauchi, Mrs. Christabel Rowland, said the dollar scarcity had almost “ruined” her business before she resorted to buying goods from the Kano market.

She said, “Apart from the scarcity of dollar, the exchange rate is just rising with no sign of it dropping.

“I can’t buy anything abroad presently. If I should buy, my customers may not afford to buy them because the goods will be very expensive.

“Anybody who travels now to buy goods abroad will only waste his money and make losses because it is not advisable to bring imported goods to Nigeria now with the high exchange rate.

“It is better to buy in Kano or Lagos in order to minimise cost. I can’t imagine buying goods abroad at this critical time.”

Also, a bank customer, Alhaji Jimoh Obasa, said his international business had suffered a huge setback because of the scarcity of dollars.

He said since he could no longer discharge his responsibilities with his clients, he decided to temporarily close his operations while hoping that the situation would improve.

A businesswoman, Mrs. Joy Ajayi, who usually buys goods from Dubai, and the United States, said her hitherto booming business had been undergoing serious challenge as she could no longer get enough dollars to import goods.

Ajayi said she decided to buy from Aba, a commercial city in Abia State.

Alhaja Afolasade Olalere has also stopped travelling to the United Kingdom, her favourite destination for the purchase of lace fabrics, as a result of the situation.

According to her, she is not considering travelling abroad to buy goods until there is drastic reduction in the exchange rate and availability of dollar.

“The scarcity and the exchange rate are needless because many businesses are going moribund,” she said, adding that she had decided to buy from the local markets anytime she got orders from her customers.

However, Saturday PUNCH learnt that some traders have been relying on influential Nigerians to access dollars at commercial banks.

An Ekiti State-based businesswoman, Mrs. Victoria Adeolu, told one of our correspondents that she used the influence of a member of the House of Representatives to get dollars.

“Funny thing is that even the lawmaker is complaining that it is not easy for him to get dollars from banks anymore. But when I hit a brick wall, I always call upon the lawmaker to help get the dollars,” she said.

Adeolu added that she was already thinking of patronising the local markets, preferably Kano to buy goods.

Bukola Adetoun, another Lagos-based businesswoman, said she might quit her clothing and gold business if the economy did not improve.

She said, “I feel like crying as I am talking to you. I go to the market with N2m and it is as if it is just N200, 000. If I increase the prices of my goods, who will buy them? Before I travel, I usually tell my customers to place orders on what they want. Now, more than 89 per cent didn’t get back to me. It is very unusual.

“I am taking a big risk in this trip I intend to make. If I come back and I am not able to make any profit, I have to quit.”

A dealer in Senegalese wears, Mr. Ngozi Eze, said business had been slow in the last few months as a result of the economic crisis caused by the high exchange rate and scarcity of dollars.

She said, “Each time I travel to Senegal, I always come back with four sacks of clothes. But the last trip, I could only come back with one and half bags for the same amount of money I have been using to buy clothes.

“Each of my wears costs not less than N25, 000. So, how will I tell my customers to buy same for N50, 000 if not more? At the end, the traders are the ones losing. I wonder what will happen in future.”

Attempts by a Delta State-based textile trader, Mrs. Eunice Ogbodo, to buy $8,000 have hit brick wall.

She said, “The scarcity and the high exchange rate have badly affected my business. I can no longer travel to Dubai for obvious reasons; I cannot afford N370 to a dollar. I have struggled to buy $8,000 with no success.

“I may soon resort to buying goods from local markets to keep myself in business because nobody knows when this ‘madness’ will stop.”

A Lagos-based dealer in motor vehicles and electronics, Mr. Olubukola Adeosun, shared similar experience.

Adeosun said he had not been able to buy some of the products that he wanted to import into Nigeria since January due to the scarcity of dollar.

He said apart from the scarcity, it was not wise to import capital goods into the country now due to the fall in naira value.

Adeosun said, “Things are difficult right now. I have some goods that had already been picked for me in the US since January for import into the country, but I have not been able to pay for them due to dollar scarcity.

“The scarcity has also led to an insensible rise in the dollar value. I am even being cautious right now because if I should get the dollars by all means, it will be too expensive and this will translate to the goods that I want to sell to be too expensive for Nigerians.

“There are still some vehicles that I imported since last year and they have yet to be bought. I want to sell them first before I import the ones that have been picked for me over there.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 20, 2016
Local production and local goods are getting boost

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by ODVanguard: 9:41am On Feb 20, 2016
tuale4u:

Yes bro. Hopefully this will stimulate a more sustainable patronage of local goods. This dollar scarcity is presenting a silver lining for some afterall.

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by swtdrms(m): 9:54am On Feb 20, 2016
This is good news for the indigenous manufacturers, its high time everyone think of what he can produce and create employment. Am already thinking in the direction of high quality shoe production. Who's going to be my business partners.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by AZeD1(m): 10:02am On Feb 20, 2016
Like i said in one post, You cannot say 'buy Nigerian to grow the Naira' and still complain about exchange rate. You have to pick one side for now.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Ecoterrorism(f): 10:03am On Feb 20, 2016
Let the local manufacturing sector enjoy but we are still in a deeper poo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by egopersonified(f): 10:08am On Feb 20, 2016
I don tell my Tailor to go airport road go look all those imported gowns and tops make she go sew the exact replica, she nor dey hear word.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by HiddenShadow: 10:12am On Feb 20, 2016
It is time the Igbo technological ingenuity witnessed during the war takes over Nigeria local production and make the SE/SS the industrial hub of Nigeria.

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by modath(f): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2016
Great that the traders have temporary succour, these are trying times...

What then happens when the stock of the major Lagos,Aba & Kano importers runs out? Did our industries quietly & suddenly get a new lease of life?

This is mere band aid.... our manufacturing sector is comatose..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Lordtrillion(m): 10:33am On Feb 20, 2016
Hmmm, better days ahead cheesy
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by DeAfricana: 10:37am On Feb 20, 2016
i think the writers a trying to make us believe that dolar scarcity, is good for our
economy but, the truth of matter is, the other way round.first
we dont have the factories, that can service ordinary
one tenth of our needs,and to solve that we needs more dolars for equipments
and other things.many of all this people you see going to other city to buy goods,
is not that those citys, are industrialized,the are just going to people who still have old stocks,
and when that finishes, the will have no choice than to start importing .and inflation we be the order
of the day

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by BALLOSKI: 10:51am On Feb 20, 2016
cool cool

And Somebody wants us to believe the restrictions on forex is not yielding results.

BUHARI till 2023...by God's grace!

Me and my progressive clique right now

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by NavierStokes(m): 10:57am On Feb 20, 2016
So where do the markets in Lagos, Kano etc. get their goods from?

16 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by vikacydevato(m): 11:00am On Feb 20, 2016
This will help us to develop our nation.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by sinkhole: 11:03am On Feb 20, 2016
Is it only fabrics and food we need in Ngeria? what about machineries that we do not produce in Nigeria, what about all the essential electronics that are imported from China and Co?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by BALLOSKI: 11:10am On Feb 20, 2016
DeAfricana:
i think the writers a trying to make us believe that dolar scarcity, is good for our
economy but, the truth of matter is, the other way round.first
we dont have the factories, that can service ordinary
one tenth of our needs,and to solve that we needs more dolars for equipments
and other things.
many of all this people you see going to other city to buy goods,
is not that those citys, are industrialized,the are just going to people who still have old stocks,
and when that finishes, the will have no choice than to start importing .and inflation we be the order
of the day

are we going to stop existing if we don't have these so "important" goods? Do you know how the likes of Cuba , Libya , Iran , survives in the face of western sanctions? Do you know Palestinians are living in an enclosure, and are still surviving? We couldn't manage our wealth in times of excesses , we should get ready to suffer while trying to get it right.

NB: below is what the policy is trying to achieve- a perfect result is the testimony below.

“I can’t buy anything abroad presently. If I should buy, my customers may not afford to buy them because the goods will be very expensive.

“Anybody who travels now to buy goods abroad will only waste his money and make losses because it is not advisable to bring imported goods to Nigeria now with the high exchange rate.

“It is better to buy in Kano or Lagos in order to minimise cost. I can’t imagine buying goods abroad at this critical time.”

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Kyase(m): 11:13am On Feb 20, 2016
NavierStokes:
Nigerians will start manufacturing.
Kaput?

14 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Justiyke4u: 11:14am On Feb 20, 2016
If only the end consumers will have that mindset that local products can do more than most of the foreign products and local producers not using the situation as an opportunity to exploit their customers living them with that mindset that foreign product is cheaper and better I think there will be an impact in our economy

5 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Flets: 11:15am On Feb 20, 2016
Acute Forex shortage is not due to crude oil prices like Buhari and his minions will want us believe.

The biggest cause is the massive capital flight that followed Buhari's lack of economic direction. Nigerians are not aware that investor funds contribute over 60% of our forex supply.

Buhari's cluelessness and dumb attitude towards economy made investors pull their funds out. He further placed monetary policies that caused panic in the investor environment. The plan to fund the national budget with MTN fine was the final nail on investors funds.

Buhari is solely responsible for the very poor state of the economy.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by ZeroTolerance: 11:16am On Feb 20, 2016
HiddenShadow:
It is time the Igbo technological ingenuity witnessed during the war takes over Nigeria local production and make the SE/SS the industrial hub of Nigeria.
I hate this SE/SS of a thing. Isnit necessary to always add the South South?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2016
NavierStokes:
They too will soon run out of stock, after then everyone will come back to their senses

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by mathemagician3: 11:31am On Feb 20, 2016
The reality is that traders are buying old stocks from their fellow traders not that they're patronising local manufacturers.

The SW Ibadan express way junk newspaper is trying to portray a nonexistent reality.

14 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by BALLOSKI: 11:41am On Feb 20, 2016
Flets:
[s]Acute Forex shortage is not due to crude oil prices like Buhari and his minions will want us believe.

The biggest cause is the massive capital flight that followed Buhari's lack of economic direction. Nigerians are not aware that investor funds contribute over 60% of our forex supply.

Buhari's cluelessness and dumb attitude towards economy made investors pull their funds out. He further placed monetary policies that caused panic in the investor environment. The plan to fund the national budget with MTN fine was the final nail on investors funds.

Buhari is solely responsible for the very poor state of the economy.[/s]

35 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by tuniski: 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2016
tuale4u:
That is not boost it is the last mop up before a collapse. Structural shift ain't knee jerk response to deep issues.
Be worried!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by Aufbauh(m): 12:08pm On Feb 20, 2016
This is how the fall of naira will herald the rising of Nigeria.
It is logical that when there is scarcity of FX, we will have no option than to look inward.... #BuyNaijaToGrowTheNaira

7 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by ozor1: 12:25pm On Feb 20, 2016
Flets:
Acute Forex shortage is not due to crude oil prices like Buhari and his minions will want us believe.

exactly, the government ought to have made favourable policies for intending investors. this alone will bring enough foreign exchange

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by mrmetoo1: 12:28pm On Feb 20, 2016
Flets:

Ah!! 60%?? Lmao!! Where are you getting your information? Abeg what were they investing in that all of a sudden they pulled all that 60% back. What are the policies that caused that much panic that investors pulled 60% of our forex earnings?? Who are the investors? Bros no need to just be mischievous oil makes up 80% of our forex earnings, oil prices has gone to the toilet, forex now scarce... simple. What we need to focus on now is how we create more forex earner avenues.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by ozor1: 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2016
modath:

Great that the traders have temporary succour, these are trying times...

What then happens when the stock of the major Lagos,Aba & Kano importers runs out? Did our industries quietly & suddenly get a new lease of life?

This is mere band aid.... our manufacturing sector is comatose..
we still dont have local substitutes for most of the products we consume. I wonder how the government intends to deal with this particular issue

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by ozor1: 12:32pm On Feb 20, 2016
mrmetoo1:

Ah!! 60%?? Lmao!! Where are you getting your information? Abeg what were they investing in that all of a sudden they pulled all that 60% back. What are the policies that caused that much panic that investors pulled 60% of our forex earnings?? Who are the investors? Bros no need to just be mischievous oil makes up 80% of our forex earnings, oil prices has gone to the toilet, forex now scarce... simple. What we need to focus on now is how we create more forex earner avenues.
the statement was over exageratted , but thats the truth most people dont know about. after jp morgan delisted nigeria, investors withdrew their money . getting fresh investors now would be difficult

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by chigoizie7(m): 1:11pm On Feb 20, 2016
BALLOSKI:
cool cool

And Somebody wants us to believe the restrictions on forex is not yielding results.

BUHARI till 2023...by God's grace!

Me and my progressive clique right now

Lolz, u re just funny.

Those going to buy locally are buying from fellow traders who still have old stocks. What will happen when all the goods finishes?

It is not as if there are local industries where those goods are produced, NONE.

In less than 3months, we will witness the real inflation. So, don't jubiliate yet.
As no industry can be set up, run and produce in 3months or 6months, from scracth( feasibility studies 1st, importation of machinery, building industries, production proper and roll out) in 6months? It is just funny. Things might change on the long run, but that is if a tangible policy and law is set aside to back the local manufacturers. What if after defying all odds to buy or set up industries @ high cost and dollar come stabilise, what will be their fate when Benin republic and other ecowas states will still enjoy the ecowa free trade laws? ( nigerians will import via ecowas countries and then bring in through the borders, increasing the IGR of such states, because our importers will pay customs duty or any other tax @ their ports and borders) naija will loose big time.
U people just read anything and believes it, hook, line and sinker without reasoning further

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by chigoizie7(m): 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2016
Kyase:

Nigerians will start manufacturing.
Kaput?

U think production is like having s3x?

Where will they source the money to buy heavy machines?( dem go import am nah)

How will they source for raw materials?
All these things na still import (even though we can source locally, but it is very little)

No one is going into any production until a standard policy is laid out backed by law and protected to the last.

NB:, assume some investors defy the dollar hike in other to channel it as a cost of production and den dollar come stabilise, what do u think will happen to the local manufacturers?

1st thing is that policy/law. And buhari's Govt has not made any.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2016
chigoizie7:

Lolz, u re just funny.
Those going to buy locally are buying from fellow traders who still have old stocks. What will happen when all the goods finishes?
It is not as if there are local industries where those goods are produced, NONE.
In less than 3months, we will witness the real inflation. So, don't jubiliate yet.
U people just read anything and believes it, hook, line and sinker without reasoning further
u shld increase ur sinking capacity and think wider.

1. it is impossible for every trader to still have the goods of almost 3 months on ground...unless u're a petty trader.

2. if it finishes...people will improvise. only the super rich will be able to afford the average things by then.

if a fake razor blade (Nigerian made) is sold for 5 naira, and imported tiger blade is sold for 20naira (current price), who wld buy the 20naira own unless they are rich enough?

in a nut she'll, the average Nigerian is more then the rich ones, those who prefer to import will be left at the mercy of the rich ones while the larger masses goes for the indigenous.

sooner or later, some average trader will stop importing because they will be unable to sell as quickly as they shld.

then the company in China will loose customers and decides to open a company here where the original blade will be sold for 10naira. then someone with the will of adenuga of GLo mobile will open a razor blade company and sell at 6naira...

that is where it all starts...

34 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Journey: (DAY 20 - $105 so far) Follow Me As I Make Money On Fiverr From Scratch / 3 Legitimate Online Businesses A Nigerian Can Start In 2017 / Statement By The EFCC After Granting Bail To The CEO Of Innoson Motors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.