Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing (3545 Views)

Common Most Believed Technology Myths And Misconceptions / Facts To Prove That Science Supports Bible Facts Than Those Of Evolution. / Neuroscience: What Believing In GOD Does To Your Brain (another Perspective) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by khalhokage(m): 5:17pm On Feb 20, 2016
Given its huge success in describing the natural world for the past 150 years, the theory of evolution is remarkably misunderstood, i suspect the common misconceptions described below have something to do with it.

1. It’s just a theory

Yes, scientists call it the “theory of evolution”, but this is in recognition of its well accepted scientific standing. The term “theory” is being used in the same way that gravitational theory explains why, when an apple falls from your hand, it goes towards the ground. There is no uncertainty that the apple will fall to the ground, in the same way that there is no uncertainty that bugs resistant to antibiotics will continue to evolve if we do not curb our general use of antibiotics.

Although people use “theory” in everyday conversation to mean a not necessarily proven hypothesis, this is not the case in scientific terms. A scientific theory typically means a well substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that sits above laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.

2. Humans are descended from monkeys

No, your great-great-great-ancestor was not a monkey. Evolution theory indicates that we have common ancestors with monkeys and apes — among the existing species, they are our closest relatives. Humans and chimpanzees share more than 90% of their genetic sequence . But this common ancestor, which roamed the Earth approximately 7 million years ago was neither a monkey nor a human, but an ape-like creature that recent research suggests had traits that favored the use of tools.

3. Natural selection is purposeful

There are many organisms that are not perfectly adapted to their environment. For example, sharks don’t have a gas bladder to control their buoyancy (which bony fish typically use). Does this refute the theory of evolution? No, not at all. Natural selection can only randomly favor the best of what is available, it does not purposefully turn all living organisms into one super creature.

It would be really convenient if humans could photosynthesize; hunger could be immediately cured by standing in the sun (and the much-sought miracle diet would have been found: stay inside). But alas, the genetic ability to photosynthesize has not appeared in animals. Still, selection of the best option possible has led to an amazing diversity of forms remarkably well adapted to their environments, even if not perfect.

4. Evolution can’t explain complex organs

A common argument in favor of creationism is the evolution of the eye. A half developed eye would serve no function, so how can natural selection slowly create a functional eye in a step-wise manner? Darwin himself suggested that the eye could have had its origins in organs with different functions. Organs that allow detection of light could then have been favored by natural selection, even if it did not provide full vision. These ideas have been proven correct many years later by researchers studying primitive light-sensing organs in animals. In mollusks like snails and segmented worms, light-sense cells spread across the body surface can tell the difference between light and dark.

5. Religion is incompatible with evolution

It is important to make it clear that evolution is not a theory about the origin of life. It is a theory to explain how species change over time. Contrary to what many people think, there is also little conflict between evolution and most common religions. Pope Francis recently reiterated that a belief in evolution isn’t incompatible with the Catholic faith. Going further, the reverend Malcolm Brown from the Church of England stated that “natural selection, as a way of understanding physical evolutionary processes over thousands of years, makes sense.” He added: “Good religion needs to work constructively with good science” and vice-versa. I fully agree.
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by thesicilian: 5:48pm On Feb 20, 2016
I agree with you in all, apart from the theory of natural selection which makes perfect sense. The more adapted species to its environment, the higher its chances of surviving.
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by Oahray: 7:18pm On Feb 20, 2016
I agree with number 1. Evolution is nowhere near a scientific theory. Full of assumptions and blind leaps of 'faith'.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by sinaj(f): 7:33pm On Feb 20, 2016
No 2 tho lol

My social studies teacher convinced me to the extent that my pastor appeared a liar b4 me lipsrsealed
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:11pm On Feb 20, 2016
I AGREE WITH NO 1.

All d theories about evolution and the formation of earth are all assumptions, wit no proof
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by taurus25(m): 3:47am On Feb 21, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
I AGREE WITH NO 1.

All d theories about evolution and the formation of earth are all assumptions, wit no proof

Read the OP again
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
Oahray:
I agree with number 1. Evolution is nowhere near a scientific theory. Full of assumptions and blind leaps of 'faith'.
Reread the OP again.
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 21, 2016
This list is quite intresting. I like the way the OP breaks it down. Not the trash spewed out by Creationist websites who choose selective belief and disbelief. They believe in Speciation but think Natural selection is trash. Some even say Fossils don't exist!

Anyways, I like the way you correct the different impressions echoed out by both evolutionists and creationist website to the unsuspecting,innocent reader.

Cc Teempakguy, johnydon22, Dekatron, prOton, Sunstars, (and what the heck grin) KingEbukasblog.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by khalhokage(m): 5:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
SirWere:
This list is quite intresting. I like the way the OP breaks it down. Not the trash spewed out by Creationist websites who choose selective belief and disbelief. They believe in Speciation but think Natural selection is trash. Some even say Fossils don't exist!

Anyways, I like the way you correct the different impressions echoed out by both evolutionists and creationist website to the unsuspecting,innocent reader.

Cc Teempakguy, johnydon22, Dekatron, prOton, Sunstars, (and what the heck grin) KingEbukasblog.

Thanks man.
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
SirWere:

Anyways, I like the way you correct the different impressions echoed out by both evolutionists and creationist website to the unsuspecting,innocent reader

Ask CoolUsername , we christians say speciation took place at creation . Speciation has never been observed . Fossils as an old earth creationist belong to the Pre-Adamic age .

Thanks
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 6:37pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Ask CoolUsername , we christians say speciation took place at creation . Speciation has never been observed . Fossils as an old earth creationist belong to the Pre-Adamic age .

Thanks

I've posted that speciation experiment in response to you twice before. For you to say that it has never been observed goes to show how much you will dishonestly shy away from evidence to maintain your views or to 'win' an argument.

It is quite obvious that you have no interest in any meaningful discussion. You gain nothing from debates because you shroud yourself in a garment of bigotry. You are like a lighthouse of bigotry in a storm of logical reasoning, to which lesser bigots may look upon to renew their determination.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 6:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
I AGREE WITH NO 1.

If you actually read more than heading of no. 1, you'd've seen that what you're saying is quite the opposite.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

I've posted that speciation experiment in response to you twice before. For you to say that it has never been observed goes to show how much you will dishonestly shy away from evidence to maintain your views or to 'win' an argument.

It is quite obvious that you have no interest in any meaningful discussion. You gain nothing from debates because you shroud yourself in a garment of bigotry. You are like a lighthouse of bigotry in a storm of logical reasoning, to which lesser bigots may look upon to renew their determination.

Its a scientific myth made up by evolutionists . I posted that to you . That same story has been posted on different forums word for word grin . Go vent your frustrations somewhere else .

I dont think those scientists mentioned in that tale even exist . No credibility to that story . Its a hoax wink . You need to understand how the internet works .
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thanks
And here we go again, boldy denying facts and massaging data.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
SirWere:
And here we go again, boldy denying facts and massaging data.

ok
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 7:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Its a scientific myth made up by evolutionists . I posted that to you . That same story has been posted on different forums word for word grin . Go vent your frustrations somewhere else .

I dont think those scientists mentioned in that tale even exist . No credibility to that story . Its a hoax wink . You need to understand how the internet works .

You never posted that. Now you're being dishonest, this is very poor form from you. I've been seeing this behaviour from a lot of theists lately.

Sources:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation
(Go to Artificial Speciation)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272561073_The_Evolution_of_Reproductive_Isolation_as_a_Correlated_Character_Under_Sympatric_Conditions_Experimental_Evidence

www.darwinwasright.org/observations_speciation.html

I'm very disappointed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:38pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

You never posted that. Now you're being dishonest, this is very poor form from you. I've been seeing this behaviour from a lot of theists lately.

Sources:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272561073_The_Evolution_of_Reproductive_Isolation_as_a_Correlated_Character_Under_Sympatric_Conditions_Experimental_Evidence

I'm very disappointed.

Disappointed ? At your own sluggishness ?

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

Sources:

I'm very disappointed.

Artificial speciation is engineered which translates to it being insignificant in your desparate attempt to prove evolution . Population of insects , gametes etc can be engineered for certain purposes
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 8:06pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Artificial speciation is engineered which translates to it being insignificant in your desparate attempt to prove evolution . Population of insects , gametes etc can be engineered for certain purposes

Nuh uh, you don't get to change the subject here. First you lied about ever successfully disproving this post, then you lied about calling it a hoax. Now you're saying that it's wrong since it's artificial. Do you not know what an experiment is? Or have you forgotten?

You just make sh.it up as you go, conveniently forget about ground that has already been covered, conveniently misunderstand points just to win an argument. Your behaviour today is a very good representation of the mental gymnastics that go on in the heads of a lot of theists. You dishonesty is an affront to science, man. Like, doesn't your religion teach you not to lie?

I'm sick of this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 8:13pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Disappointed ? At your own sluggishness ?

Notice how he didn't post any link to the forums he saw this experiment? Or how he didn't acknowledge the sources I gave?

How very Christian of you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:26pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

Nuh uh, you don't get to change the subject here. First you lied about ever successfully disproving this post, then you lied about calling it a hoax. Now you're saying that it's wrong since it's artificial. Do you not know what an experiment is? Or have you forgotten?

You just make sh.it up as you go, conveniently forget about ground that has already been covered, conveniently misunderstand points just to win an argument. Your behaviour today is a very good representation of the mental gymnastics that go on in the heads of a lot of theists. You dishonesty is an affront to science, man. Like, doesn't your religion teach you not to lie?

I'm sick of this.

You sound frustrated . What's up ? Chelsea had a good day and I',m relishing it .

I did a quick research when you referenced Wikipedia . Apparently , the story was copied from wiki and posted on those forums . I thought it was a hoax , because there have been lots of them over the years n the devious bid to mock creationism .

We are talking of evolution which involves speciation . I maintained after the Noah-Ark argument that speciation has not been observed and it has been from the onset of creation by God . I was quite clear that speciation has not been been observed naturally .

I took an excerpt from the story and did a quick review on it .

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:38pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

Notice how he didn't post any link to the forums he saw this experiment? Or how he didn't acknowledge the sources I gave?

How very Christian of you.

Again , what's up with you ? Where you humiliated by a theist in an argument today ?

http://www.darwinwasright.org/observations_speciation.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111026084302AAjTTQV

http://www.it1me.com/learn?s=Evidence_of_common_descent

http://medlibrary.org/medwiki/Evidence_of_common_descent
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 8:40pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You sound frustrated . What's up ? Chelsea had a good day and I',m relishing it .

I did a quick research when you referenced Wikipedia . Apparently , the story was copied from wiki and posted on those forums . I thought it was a hoax , because there have been lots of them over the years n the devious bid to mock creationism .

We are talking of evolution which involves speciation . I maintained after the Noah-Ark argument that speciation has not been observed and it has been from the onset of creation by God . I was quite clear that speciation has not been been observed naturally .

I took an excerpt from the story and did a quick review on it .

But these screenshots you posted are actually pro-speciation, so where exactly do you stand?
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:42pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

...conveniently misunderstand points just to win an argument. Your behaviour today is a very good representation of the mental gymnastics that go on in the heads of a lot of theists. You dishonesty is an affront to science, man. Like, doesn't your religion teach you not to lie? ...

I'm sick of this.

I admit I enjoy winning my arguments imperiously . But you need to stop falsely accusing me . Do you actually take Nairaland arguments this seriously ? Wow , one learns new stuff about people each day
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

But these screenshots you posted are actually pro-speciation, so where exactly do you stand?

Natural not artificial
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 8:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Again , what's up with you ? Where you humiliated by a theist in an argument today ?

http://www.darwinwasright.org/observations_speciation.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111026084302AAjTTQV

http://www.it1me.com/learn?s=Evidence_of_common_descent

http://medlibrary.org/medwiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

So how do these links question the credibility of the experiment? DID YOU NOT THINK THAT I'LL FOLLOW THOSE LINKS!!!
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 9:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Natural not artificial

Now I get it, biology has never really been your thing, eh? Did you use dubs for WAEC.

Scientists already know how animals can gradually get separated in nature over time or in the event of a cataclysmic event. Now obviously, they couldn't just wait for an isolation to happen to make a 'mini-apocalypse' in the lab (this is real life.)

So they artificially introduced the separation and that led to speciation. Meaning that if members of the same species are reproductively isolated for long enough, then speciation can occur.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:08pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

So how do these links question the credibility of the experiment? DID YOU NOT THINK THAT I'LL FOLLOW THOSE LINKS!!!

Like I said , because it appeared mostly on sites that support evolution and ridicule creationism then its likely to be a hoax . Most of these stories start from reddit and then spread . Some evolutionists may even think its real . Here is a more recent hoax whose purpose was subjecting Christian beliefs to derision :

An assignment from a 'creationist kid' who apparently refused to acknowledge the existence of dinosaurs has been called out for being a fake.The 'homework' was posted on Reddit several days ago, and asked the student to identify a selection of dinosaur pictures.But instead of complying, the 'child' wrote in angry caps locks: 'Dinosaurs are not real!!! Read the bible!!!!'

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
CoolUsername:

Now I get it, biology has never really been your thing, eh? Did you use dubs for WAEC.

By God's grace , Among the top 10 or 12 results in my school and very possibly in Abia state 2011 . But if you feel insecure , I understand smiley

Scientists already know how animals can gradually get separated in nature over time or in the event of a cataclysmic event. Now obviously, they couldn't just wait for an isolation to happen to make a 'mini-apocalypse' in the lab (this is real life.)

So they artificially introduced the separation and that led to speciation. Meaning that if members of the same species are reproductively isolated for long enough, then speciation can occur.

Mr. Im arguing in accordance to this below :

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by CoolUsername: 9:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

By God's grace , Among the top 10 or 12 results in my school and very possibly in Abia state 2011 . But if you feel insecure , I understand smiley

Mr. Im arguing in accordance to this below :

So are you saying that the animals 'speciated' or Godidit!
Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 22, 2016
why must we always argue?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Evolution Misconceptions You Should Stop Believing by candyswift: 10:49am On Feb 24, 2016
How can I entry a discussion about constrained peptides?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Make Money With Hacked Creditcard / How They Recycle A Plane To A New Begining In Photos. / Whatsapp Launches "Status Update" Feature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.