Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,823 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper (1505 Views)

Nigerians Rate Buhari High On Economy And Governance - Leadership Newspaper / Kogi: APC May Pick Simon Achuka As Bello’s Deputy — Leadership Newspaper / Retired Generals Jostle For Civil Defence Top Job — Leadership Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by HungerBAD: 6:16am On Feb 21, 2016
By ISAIAH BENJAMIN

The Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence, Sa’ad Abubakar, yesterday stated unequivocally that the almajiri has nothing to do with Islam, but is simply a case of poverty on the part of parents.

According to the Sultan, it is the poverty state of most parents that makes it impossible for them to send their children to school and allow them to go begging on the streets.

“Almajiri has nothing to do with Islam but an issue of poverty on the part of parents.”

The Sultan stated this in Kaduna yesterday when he chaired a meeting on girl child education of the Sultan Foundation for Peace and Development, the UNICEF and education representatives from the 19 northern states.

He said the importance of educating the girl child cannot be over emphasised, stressing that educated women are much of a better asset than uneducated women and most times educated men.

On girl child education, the Sultan queried, “why should our girls be turned to street hawkers? We must work hard to make sure that our girls are better than us.”

“It is pathetic that in the northern region, we don’t pay attention on girls education, as far as I am concerned, a female doctor is of more value than a male doctor.

“This is why we are putting necessary measures in place to have an all-female university in Sokoto State in which government must play a leading role,” he stated.

Seub,Lalasticlacla,mynd44

http://leadership.ng/news/503021/almajiri-not-islamic-sultan-declares

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by Firefire(m): 6:18am On Feb 21, 2016
Interesting twist...

"Almajiri is a word borrowed from Arabic for someone who leaves his home in search of knowledge in Islamic religion. Ideally, the communities should support these children as they leave their families to become servants of Allah".
http://thelawyerschronicle.com/almajiri-system-silent-child-abuse-in-northern-nigeria/

The almajiri's is now being used as a political tool to win election in Northern Nigeria. (Almajiri and under-age voting)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by zicoraads: 6:18am On Feb 21, 2016
HungerBAD:
By ISAIAH BENJAMIN

The Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence, Sa’ad Abubakar, yesterday stated unequivocally that the almajiri has nothing to do with Islam, but is simply a case of poverty on the part of parents.

According to the Sultan, it is the poverty state of most parents that makes it impossible for them to send their children to school and allow them to go begging on the streets.

“Almajiri has nothing to do with Islam but an issue of poverty on the part of parents.”

The Sultan stated this in Kaduna yesterday when he chaired a meeting on girl child education of the Sultan Foundation for Peace and Development, the UNICEF and education representatives from the 19 northern states.

He said the importance of educating the girl child cannot be over emphasised, stressing that educated women are much of a better asset than uneducated women and most times educated men.

On girl child education, the Sultan queried, “why should our girls be turned to street hawkers? We must work hard to make sure that our girls are better than us.”

“It is pathetic that in the northern region, we don’t pay attention on girls education, as far as I am concerned, a female doctor is of more value than a male doctor.

“This is why we are putting necessary measures in place to have an all-female university in Sokoto State in which government must play a leading role,” he stated.

Seub,Lalasticlacla,mynd44

http://leadership.ng/news/503021/almajiri-not-islamic-sultan-declares

Finally! Some semblance of sanity might return to the north since his Eminence has voiced it out. Those kids are annoying. Bank, phone shop, traffic lights, eateries etc. they are practically everywhere and make life so unbearable.

I never take pity on them or give them anything. In short, I shout on them whenever they come close to me.

I can't feed one almajiri, only for him to kill me when a religious crisis erupts.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by WhoRUDeceiving: 6:19am On Feb 21, 2016
I actually must commend the Sultan on his words but hope he will tell his people by their actions (marrying children) they will be known. I hope he'll tell Oga President to resign, and that Yoruba people need Nigeria more than any other region or group.

Just saying
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by HungerBAD: 6:20am On Feb 21, 2016
WhoRUDeceiving:
I actually must commend the Sultan on his words but hope he will tell his people by their actions (marrying children) they will be known. I hope he'll tell Oga President to resign, and that Yoruba people need Nigeria more than any other region or group.

Just saying

Who is this guy?

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by zicoraads: 6:26am On Feb 21, 2016
Firefire:
Interesting twist...

"Almajiri is a word borrowed from Arabic for someone who leaves his home in search of knowledge in Islamic religion. Ideally, the communities should support these children as they leave their families to become servants of Allah".
http://thelawyerschronicle.com/almajiri-system-silent-child-abuse-in-northern-nigeria/
Yes, that is what it should be. 'Leave in search of Islamic education'

Unfortunately, some lazy and poor Muslims have quoted that part as the excuse to send their kids on begging missions.

Ideally, they shouldn't be begging on the streets, they should be studying the Islamic ways.

Sometimes the communities do support, but these mallams would rather eat the money as they see these kids as money making ventures.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by DickDastardly(m): 6:28am On Feb 21, 2016
ipob sultan!

Start with our own hungerbad, the resident NL almajiri never chop since last week, so that im go get strenght dey defend the dulllard's economic blindless tongue
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by WhoRUDeceiving: 6:29am On Feb 21, 2016
HungerBAD:

Who is this guy?

I'm not telling. You don chop breakfast
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by DIKEnaWAR: 6:33am On Feb 21, 2016
They can wake up when they are done deceiving themselves. Next would be:

1. Marrying many wives and giving birth to plenty children just to use them and swell their votes during Presidential elections.

2. The sultan should concentrate on Jihad and its true meaning. This word alone is the problem of the world today. This is why I think Donald Trump should become the President of America, so as to change its definition for them by force.

1 Like

Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by Foxflames: 6:34am On Feb 21, 2016
Was happy with him until he said an all female university. What is wrong with Islam? This religion tends to block a part of their brain. Why must they insist on separation of women and men? In the real world, women and men are not separated but work side by side with each other. If he builds an all female university, what about an all male university? So this means that the north gets 2 universities while the South gets one mixed university. This is not right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by EHMIR(m): 6:48am On Feb 21, 2016
HungerBAD:

Who is this guy?
he is an almajirigrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by Aufbauh(m): 6:49am On Feb 21, 2016
Almajiri system may not be a direct instruction from the Quran but it philosophy is founded on Islam; Polygamy, alms giving and the will of Allah.
They should teach them that it is a spiritual obligation that a man should be responsible for the welfare of his children, so you can only give birth to the children you can possibly train.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by EHMIR(m): 6:50am On Feb 21, 2016
What i knw is that begging is a taboo in islam,instead of begging,the qurans says u should rather pick ur axe,enter d bush,cut woods nd sellsmiley
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by LoveMachine(m): 7:20am On Feb 21, 2016
Nice development.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by blaquemyc: 7:34am On Feb 21, 2016
is he talking about the almajiris the APC won elections with
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by dikeigbo2(m): 7:40am On Feb 21, 2016
Almajiri is synonymous with Islam,if not why is it predominantly in the north?

Tie the rope to the goat and tie the goat to the rope is the same........ Igbo proverb grin
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by Iroh88(m): 7:45am On Feb 21, 2016
zicoraads:

Finally! Some semblance of sanity might return to the north since his Eminence has voiced it out. Those kids are annoying. Bank, phone shop, traffic lights, eateries etc. they are practically everywhere and make life so unbearable.

I never take pity on them or give them anything. In short, I shout on them whenever they come close to me.

I can't feed one almajiri, only for him to kill me when a religious crisis erupts.
I'm sorry to say, but this is a terrible mindset you have, not having compassion whatsoever for a poor child, and having total disregard for their innocence.

God help you.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by omowolewa: 7:49am On Feb 21, 2016
Tell me more, the word is from Islam. So also the act, if giving is islamic, receiving should be islamic too.

Where are the Almajiri 'girls'? Married out at tender age to bear more Almajiri boyz I think?

What we should work on is the industrial scale of Child birth and not the source of the name 'Almajiri' which is just a product.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by carinmom(f): 8:28am On Feb 21, 2016
Firefire:
Interesting twist...

The almajiri's is now being used as a political tool to win election in Northern Nigeria. (Almajiri and under-age voting)
the definition you quoted above for almajiri is wrong. Almajiri is a corrupt version of almuhajirun meaning the migrants. The parents of these almajirai send them for begging because of poverty. So as the Sultan says it has nothing with Islam.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by dahaz(m): 9:33am On Feb 21, 2016
In the olden days, people send their children in far places in search of islamic knowledge due to few islamic scholars.Nowadays, your nxt door neighbour might be a scholar so why send your kids in far places when he can simply learn comfotably from your house?.so i conquor with his eminence the sultan.
Re: Almajiri Is Not Islamic, Sultan Declares- Leadership Newspaper by zicoraads: 10:48am On Feb 21, 2016
Iroh88:
I'm sorry to say, but this is a terrible mindset you have, not having compassion whatsoever for a poor child, and having total disregard for their innocence.

God help you.
I think not. I live in the north. In short, I have been living in the north all my life. These kids are not as innocent as you would want to make it look. I have seen first hand what they become when a crisis erupts. I have deep compassion for children who are innocent and are in need of help. Poor women who sit by the road side and beg for alms with their children sitting with them or behind their backs.

The disabled. Those poor kids in orphanages.

But I have no single shred of pity for those ones that roam the streets, like the almajiris. And as long as people continue to give them money and other things, the practice will continue.

(1) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha's True Identity Finally Exposed !!!imo State Beware!!! / FG Extends Public Holidays For Eid-el Fitr Celebration Till Thursday / Know Your History By Ayekooto Akindele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.