Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,721 members, 7,820,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria (4357 Views)

Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku / Geo Political Zones In Nigeria And Their States / Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lawani: 11:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
In 2014, the number of students who registered for WAEC in the old West and Lagos consisting of the SW states, Edo and Delta, making 8 states was 518,536. The old East comprising of the SE and the 4 remaining SS states totalling 9 states was 414,947. So the 8 states of the old West and Lagos has a total population more than the 9 states of the old East by those real figures. The 8 states of the old West and Lagos is like 125 percent of the population of the 9 states of the old Eastern region. The old Midwest is just over half of the SE (5 states), the SW population is like 180 percent of the population of the SE and like 350 percent of the MW, like 250 percent of the old non SE 4 Eastern states of Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa and Cross River while the SE is around 120 percent of the 4 states of the non SE Eastern state. The figures from the North are not reliable because of the Almajiri population but it shows that Kaduna is higher in population than Kano since there are Almajiri in the two states. Those are real estimates that are reliable.

However if it is assumed that 30 percent of NW youth are Almajiri and that 100 percent of SW children go to school, then the NW will be 99 percent of the SW population. The 7 states of the NW are 99 percent of the 6 states of the SW in population going by that estimate.

The SW and NW are around 135 percent each of the NC in population and the NC is 131 percent of the SE in population. The Almajiri system is not prevalent in the NC.

If it is assumed that 20 percent of NE children are Almajiri, then the NE population will be around 45 percent of that of each of the SW and the NW while being 80 percent of the SE.

Broken down into ethnic nationalities, there are Yoruba or Yoruboid groups well entrenched in the three zones of SW, MW and NC, Hausa in the NW, NE and NC, Igbos in the SE, 4 non SE states in the old East and Igbos in the Midwest. Ijaws are in the 4 non SE Eastern states, in the Midwest and in the West and etc.

A group of even 50 thousand population are in good standing to be an independent nation where interests are properly alligned and where there is unity, understanding and camaraderie that will make nation building automatically easy.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by pulsa(m): 11:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
weird outlook and viewpoint
but still on point.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by MayorofLagos(m): 12:27am On Feb 22, 2016
If you do same calculation today you will find that SW has swollen even more due to internally displaced persons running away from high crimes and kidnappers and economic insecurity in East as well those IDPs running away from bokoharam in North.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 22, 2016
Yorubas as usual,tribalism
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 12:48am On Feb 22, 2016
I don't exactly understand your postulations, but anything that puts Edo and Delta with SW is a no no for me. We are in the South South. And that is that. Pls leave us out out of the SW

1 Like

Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lawani: 3:29am On Feb 22, 2016
PapaBrowne:
I don't exactly understand your postulations, but anything that puts Edo and Delta with SW is a no no for me. We are in the South South. And that is that. Pls leave us out out of the SW
I put Edo and Delta together as Midwest after analysing old West and old East. MW is more than half of SE for instance and less than one third of SW. Edo is like 120 percent of Delta.

I doubt if SS can be together, even Delta Ibo will probably be Biafra.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by Achuwa1(m): 4:15am On Feb 22, 2016
The population strenght u observed in the sw especially in Lagos is as a result of migrants..
Remember lagos looked like a grave yard in 1993 when majority of se left coz of the june 12 incident.,.
. So as at now,double or more of tht number tht left Lagos then in 1993 presently stays in Lagos..
imaging if all the migrants presently in Lagos leave for their home town like the south eastrners.,lagos will definitely be a shadow of itself.,,
All u are doing is just head count & not in a case where ppl eventually leaves.,wat do u think u will have left in Lagos or sw

1 Like

Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by rhymaster: 4:25am On Feb 22, 2016
Achuwa1:
The population strenght u observed in the sw especially in Lagos is as a result of migrants..
Remember lagos looked like a grave yard in 1993 when majority of se left coz of the june 12 incident.,.
. So as at now,double or more of tht number tht left Lagos then in 1993 presently stays in Lagos..
imaging if all the migrants presently in Lagos leave for their home town like the south eastrners.,lagos will definitely be a shadow of itself.,,
All u are doing is just head count & not in a case where ppl eventually leaves.,wat do u think u will have left in Lagos or sw

If anyone wants to leave the West and go back to the East, it would be highly welcome! The fact is they do not want to leave, will anyone leave Lagos and head to Sambisa forest? Head back to Yobe? Never! It is the same thing like leaving the West and heading back to Abia or Anambra or Ebonyi state! Leaving will create opportunity to improve the West and replace the editing population with highly trained foreigners who come so work, holiday and for tourism which is far better than millions of migrants descending on the lands only looking for what to eat!

1 Like

Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by Sibrah: 4:29am On Feb 22, 2016
Eastern IDPs are far more than NE IDPs even with the near full scale war in the NE. It is well. 60% of the SE WAEC takers will soon relocate to lagos to make it big.

1 Like

Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by rhymaster: 4:39am On Feb 22, 2016
Sibrah:
Eastern IDPs are far more than NE IDPs even with the near full scale war in the NE. It is well. 60% of the SE WAEC takers will soon relocate to lagos to make it big.

True that. Lagos, SW Nigeria is London and New York for them.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by Sibrah: 4:47am On Feb 22, 2016
rhymaster:

True that. Lagos, SW Nigeria is London and New York for them.
They lead waec only to drain our capital and call it being industrous.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by BushidoBlue(m): 5:12am On Feb 22, 2016
Another Zombie thread..

See as one so called mayor dey mess himself...

Nairaland mods you know this is bigotry at its peak yet you let it fly...
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by Flexherbal(m): 5:29am On Feb 22, 2016
Geo 101
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:05am On Feb 22, 2016
And your point is??

Don't come here post stale facts or more like facts bended to the whims of your warped and tribalistic mind.

In your haste to make sense you are redrawing boundaries and assigning provinces...

One question for you, how many of those students in your highly 'Hallowed' Southwest are native to the area. I keep saying it, Lagos should not be used as the sole parameters to assess the south West. Lagos is different. It's a mini nation on its own where constituent ethnic nationalities have worked real hard to make it what it is today.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lincolnj88: 6:44am On Feb 22, 2016
defective products of quota system and awolowo free education
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lawani: 7:54am On Feb 22, 2016
Ravenwolf:
And your point is??

Don't come here post stale facts or more like facts bended to the whims of your warped and tribalistic mind.

In your haste to make sense you are redrawing boundaries and assigning provinces...

One question for you, how many of those students in your highly 'Hallowed' Southwest are native to the area. I keep saying it, Lagos should not be used as the sole parameters to assess the south West. Lagos is different. It's a mini nation on its own where constituent ethnic nationalities have worked real hard to make it what it is today.
I agree with you that Lagos is up to 30 percent non Yoruba and it is true that no such cosmopolitan city exists in the SE. The most cosmopolitan are Onitsha and Aba but they are not as much so as Lagos but in the SW we also have Ibadan and even Ogbomosho is a large metropolis that is not even a capital, bigger than any where in the SE, so it means the SE could have done it as well and can still do it. Igbos are in the SW but so are Hausas, Ijaw, Benin, Chinese, Europeans, Indians, Lebanese and etc. Igbos are in SW politics but they have not contributed more on a per capita basis than the Lebanese, Indians or the Chinese, even not more than the Hausa. So there is no big deal, Yorubas are also in Kaduna, , PH, Onitsha, Jos, Abuja, New York, Paris, London and etc. I wonder what percentage of Lagos population you think is Igbo or what percentage of Lagos properties is owned by Igbos? Port Harcourt is also an Igboid city and it is as cosmopolitan as Lagos and no one is raising the argument you people raise on Lagos. Do you want Lagos to separate from the West or how long do you think it will take to turn Lagos to an Igbo city?

If you remove Lagos from SW, Lagos alone is still Yoruba in identity, and the other 5 states are more than Lagos. They are almost 200 percent of Lagos. Kaduna too is like that in the NW.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by TheArchangel(f): 8:12am On Feb 22, 2016
What's the point of this thread??
Chest beating? Huh??
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lawani: 8:37am On Feb 22, 2016
TheArchangel:
What's the point of this thread??
Chest beating? Huh??

Real statistics that are dependable are scarce in Nigeria, so when I see something like this I am happy. There are always talk that the North is a desert and etc, then that the SE should have one more state on the rest of us. This post shows that the area cheated by representation is mainly the SW followed by the NW and etc. I am advocating for the country to breakup, so that new states will emerge that are ready for nation building with seriousness. Why do you think it is chest beating?
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by TheArchangel(f): 8:43am On Feb 22, 2016
lawani:

Real statistics that are dependable are scarce in Nigeria, so when I see something like this I am happy. There are always talk that the North is a desert and etc, then that the SE should have one more state on the rest of us. This post shows that the area cheated by representation is mainly the SW followed by the NW and etc. I am advocating for the country to breakup, so that new states will emerge that are ready for nation building with seriousness. Why do you think it is chest beating?
In your statistics, it was old west and old east? Now, SW, SE,etc. Be consistent. Lumping two geopolitical zones to arrive at a high figure and to serve as basis for state creation isn't gonna hold water.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lawani: 8:47am On Feb 22, 2016
TheArchangel:
In your statistics, it was old west and old east? Now, SW, SE,etc. Be consistent. Lumping two geopolitical zones to arrive at a high figure and to serve as basis for state creation isn't gonna hold water.

I initially used old East and old West to compare, then I used Midwest, SE, SW and the 4 non SE old Eastern states, then the NW, NC and NE. Is anything wrong with that? It is just to have something that shows the real picture. I believe anyone that wants independence in a separate state should have it but not on others.
Re: Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria by lawani: 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2016
rhymaster:

If anyone wants to leave the West and go back to the East, it would be highly welcome! The fact is they do not want to leave, will anyone leave Lagos and head to Sambisa forest? Head back to Yobe? Never! It is the same thing like leaving the West and heading back to Abia or Anambra or Ebonyi state! Leaving will create opportunity to improve the West and replace the editing population with highly trained foreigners who come so work, holiday and for tourism which is far better than millions of migrants descending on the lands only looking for what to eat!
The Yoruba are also in other places like Kaduna, PH, Kano. A Maiduguri man even told me there are more Yoruba in Maiduguri than Igbos and Kaduna is as cosmopolitan as Lagos. Our people too are in other places all over the world as citizens and people here is what makes here good, yet non Yoruba may not be more than 30 percent of SW population. In a place like Onitsha, non indigenes will be the majority and someone said Yoruba outnumber the indigenes there. So it cuts across and if people are coming to your place, it is a bonus, an opportunity to join hands together and do great things.

(1) (Reply)

The Us Army Vs Nigerian Army (photo Inside) / A History Of Efon-alaaye Kingdom From 1180 A.D / Okowa Running Youths Inclusive Government, Says Ossai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.