Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

My Boss Exploits Me. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Exploits Me. (1098 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boss Exploits Me. by Treash(m): 7:24am On Feb 22, 2016
I got a job with small law firm in Ikeja, owns by a family frnd, about 4 weeks ago. But up till now, my boss is yet to call me one on one to discuss the terms of payment with me (mind you, am the only lawyer working for him). It was later our secretaries secretly informed me dat my boss doesnt pay on time, and dat he pays mere stipend, as thats what keeps many job applicants away frm that firm. How can I work without knowing how much my salary is?? I spend #800 daily on transport from Sango to Opebi, yet u cant satisfy my boss. He takes offences at every slight mistake u make. One thing dat pains me over d weekend was dat on Friday, I prepared a defence for him, but he ended up throwing insult at me on simple inadequacies. My boss shouted at me & compared me to his daughter in 300 Level University, on d basis dat she can solve professional issues dan me, all in d presence of our secretaries and clients. It was such an embarassment I never got in my life. I just wish to get another job elsewhere, probably a company or any better place. It's another Monday, full of uncertainties of what will happen in office today.
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Consula: 7:26am On Feb 22, 2016
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by amunkita(m): 7:28am On Feb 22, 2016
Ur boss is a no Nonsense man who hates inadequacies, so try being perfect often...
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by StPete: 7:32am On Feb 22, 2016
amunkita:
Ur boss is a no Nonsense man who hates inadequacies, so try being perfect often...

If he wants perfection from a new graduate, he should either do d job himself or go employ his daughter. What happened to learning on d job
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by ernecy(m): 7:33am On Feb 22, 2016
Guy! Bounce
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Pineapp: 7:55am On Feb 22, 2016
Working for a family friend is like allowing a handshake extend to the elbow.
He'd give you double of insults.
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Allwility: 7:55am On Feb 22, 2016
My friend, sit down there and learn. This is your first job and you need to acquire skills that would help you later in your practice. Forget about your boss's attitude. As regards your pay, have a discussion with him about it.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by eleko1: 8:00am On Feb 22, 2016
With Boss like that,U need to exercise patience.if he like,let him kal u Sule/mumunas long as ur name isn't sule,nothing do u.Abeg,do ur job.
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Montaque(m): 8:10am On Feb 22, 2016
lagos firms don't pay on time.
just have a discussion, bring up the issue urself. and be patient.
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by PresVA: 8:32am On Feb 22, 2016
Firstly, go ask him for your employment letter .. You may need it even in the future. ..
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by debbydee(f): 1:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
Op sorry if i may sound rude.

You are a lawyer you should know the rules guiding working in a place. You claim to be working for someone without formal/proper discussion as per terms and conditions you dont even know your salary. So month end if the man deny you what evidence do you have to prove that he actually employed you. Truly the man needs to shout at you cos from your write up i dont think you know what you are doing.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Abee79(m): 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
My own experience as a young Lawyer about nine (9) years ago. I hope it is not the same person? It definitely sounds like 'him' grin

After my Youth Service some years ago in Lagos, I attended the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) Meeting at the Ikeja Branch. Newcomers were asked to introduce themselves, stating name and their office address. I came to my turn and I mentioned the fact that I don't work anywhere yet. After the meeting, a one of the Senior Lawyers met me and asked if I was interested in working in his firm, I said yes. We arranged a meeting for that evening. He asked me a lot of questions about my personal and academic background. He also grilled me on issues in Corporate Governance (which I was not too conversant about at that time; That encounter sparked my interest in it). He offered me the job for a monthly pay of N30,000 (Thirty Thousand Naira). That was 2007 [I would cost me about N37,000 to transport myself to the Office for a month, excluding feeding and accommodation]. He bragged that he was offering more than most Law Firms in Lagos were paying young inexperienced lawyers. He told me that in the real sense, I should be the one paying him for giving me the rare opportunity to learn under His Eminence.

1st Day at Work
I resumed work the following Monday at 7:00am. He arrived shortly after 8:00am and gave me some pleadings to draft. He went out and returned to the office around 4:00pm. I submitted the task I was assigned and sat at my desk. By 6:00pm I went to tell Oga, His Eminence that I was closing for the day. I flared "What nonsense is this? How can you close at this time? Don't think you will be closing early like this everyday!!!!". That since it was my first day at work, he will overlook my sins, but it must not repeat itself ever again. I thanked him and left. I felt humiliated and exploited even.

2nd Day at Work - Resignation Day!
I resumed 7:00am as usual. Oga walked in a few minutes after 8:00am. Instructed me to write some letters to valued clients. He left and returned shortly after 4:00pm. I went to his office and submitted the draft letters. As he was reviewing them, I told him I was leaving. He started flaring up again, but before he went far, I made it clear that I did not want to work for him again. He immediately became remorseful and asked me why. I listed a few: the terms of the employment was unfair; he was too harsh; I was not too desperate; God will provide another better job for me . . .
He started pleading and begging me. He even promised to increase my salary to N50,000. I said no, thanked him for 'believing' in me and I walked out a happy man, with my dignity intact!

Prologue
A few days latter, I was offered a FAR BETTER JOB by the Ogun State Government. I still maintain close contact with My Learned Senior, and I keep him updated of my progress in life.

Lessons Learnt
1. No man controls your destiny. That is the exclusive preserve of God! (well, except you decide to mess it up yourself)
2. It does not cost God anything to bless a man;
3. When you have the opportunity to help someone and you neglect to do it, God will raise help for that person from another place, and you will not share the glory;
4. Allowing desperation to control your choices will only lead you into slavery and despair;
5. The fact that things are not working now does not mean nothing will ever work! cool

5 Likes

Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Abee79(m): 4:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
debbydee:
Op sorry if i may sound rude.

You are a lawyer you should know the rules guiding working in a place. You claim to be working for someone without formal/proper discussion as per terms and conditions you dont even know your salary. So month end if the man deny you what evidence do you have to prove that he actually employed you. Truly the man needs to shout at you cos from your write up i dont think you know what you are doing.

Ouch!!! That was a cruel hit below the belt embarassed
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by asalimpo(m): 7:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
My advice is 2-pronged.
As a boss over surbodinates, you'll have to be hard and firm with them, in order to get things done. Infact, to bring out the true potentials in people you'll have to press hard on them. If you as a boss try to play soft on them,they'll come out half baked.
But the process of forging a true super worker is unpleasant. Most people rebel and quit bf their trained. To get my gist, compare the training, military personnel and athletes undergoe? (strike forces,commandoes, marines) .it's very harsh and unpleasant. Contrast with what civilians undergo. Is it a wonder that the military by virtue of their training, are more effective at coping and execution than civilians?
Military are trained to endure harsh psychological treatment too.
Their bosses shout and insult them, they take in their stride. They grow a thick skin to everything.

On the other hand, people will exploit you any chance they can get. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. They're not interested in bettering you but using you.
If you keep letting them they'll keep abusing you. Their selfishness drives them.
To such, you hav to end the relation or put your foot down.

You've got to know which is which.
My advice would be, hang in there, use the harsh treatment to grow a thick skin. But settle the salary (exploitation issue) first.
If he's trying to use the relationship between you to exploit you- quit, else stick in and grow.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by Treash(m): 8:33pm On Feb 22, 2016
Abee79:
My own experience as a young Lawyer about nine (9) years ago. I hope it is not the same person? It definitely sounds like 'him' grin

After my Youth Service some years ago in Lagos, I attended the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) Meeting at the Ikeja Branch. Newcomers were asked to introduce themselves, stating name and their office address. I came to my turn and I mentioned the fact that I don't work anywhere yet. After the meeting, a one of the Senior Lawyers met me and asked if I was interested in working in his firm, I said yes. We arranged a meeting for that evening. He asked me a lot of questions about my personal and academic background. He also grilled me on issues in Corporate Governance (which I was not too conversant about at that time; That encounter sparked my interest in it). He offered me the job for a monthly pay of N30,000 (Thirty Thousand Naira). That was 2007 [I would cost me about N37,000 to transport myself to the Office for a month, excluding feeding and accommodation]. He bragged that he was offering more than most Law Firms in Lagos were paying young inexperienced lawyers. He told me that in the real sense, I should be the one paying him for giving me the rare opportunity to learn under His Eminence.

1st Day at Work
I resumed work the following Monday at 7:00am. He arrived shortly after 8:00am and gave me some pleadings to draft. He went out and returned to the office around 4:00pm. I submitted the task I was assigned and sat at my desk. By 6:00pm I went to tell Oga, His Eminence that I was closing for the day. I flared "What nonsense is this? How can you close at this time? Don't think you will be closing early like this everyday!!!!". That since it was my first day at work, he will overlook my sins, but it must not repeat itself ever again. I thanked him and left. I felt humiliated and exploited even.

2nd Day at Work - Resignation Day!
I resumed 7:00am as usual. Oga walked in a few minutes after 8:00am. Instructed me to write some letters to valued clients. He left and returned shortly after 4:00pm. I went to his office and submitted the draft letters. As he was reviewing them, I told him I was leaving. He started flaring up again, but before he went far, I made it clear that I did not want to work for him again. He immediately became remorseful and asked me why. I listed a few: the terms of the employment was unfair; he was too harsh; I was not too desperate; God will provide another better job for me . . .
He started pleading and begging me. He even promised to increase my salary to N50,000. I said no, thanked him for 'believing' in me and I walked out a happy man, with my dignity intact!

Prologue
A few days latter, I was offered a FAR BETTER JOB by the Ogun State Government. I still maintain close contact with My Learned Senior, and I keep him updated of my progress in life.

Lessons Learnt
1. No man controls your destiny. That is the exclusive preserve of God! (well, except you decide to mess it up yourself)
2. It does not cost God anything to bless a man;
3. When you have the opportunity to help someone and you neglect to do it, God will raise help for that person from another place, and you will not share the glory;
4. Allowing desperation to control your choices will only lead you into slavery and despair;
5. The fact that things are not working now does not mean nothing will ever work! cool

Wow. I feel humbled by this charge from a senior collegue at the bar. Thanks for the enlightenment, though I wl soon leave once I get a beta job, though I dont want to spend a long time in litigation (Practice). I plan to move forward so am looking for other job opportunities. Tnks alot sir. Also tnks to others for the encouragement.
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by tweeby: 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
Sorry bro, I've been dere too but I know wit God all wil be well.! Will advice u to leave coz wit d looks of things he is still gonna sack u. Mine was so bad den, dis guy insult me. At d end asked me not to come again, up till now he hasn't pay me
Re: My Boss Exploits Me. by calculator123(m): 12:44am On Feb 23, 2016
resign and move on.

(1) (Reply)

Distributors Needed For Graceco Foods. (fmcg) / 15 Likely Interview Questions And Answers You Should Give / Part Time Work From Home Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.