Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,294 members, 7,954,169 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:36 PM

Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun (1095 Views)

A White Man Learns The Meaning Of "Maga" In Nigeria, Blasts Americans / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage / Women Kneeling Before A White Man In Uganda. Photo Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by lovetterrison(m): 9:44am On Feb 22, 2016
Deone Slater, owner and master barber at Kangaroo Kutz in Akron, had enough of the antics of Daniel Kovacevic, 25, who was walking around with a rifle strapped to his back.

An Akron, Ohio, barbershop owner had enough of one young white man who was walking around the neighborhood with a rifle on his back, so he confronted the 25-year-old outside his shop on Thursday and called the police, Cleveland.com reports.

Deone Slater, owner of Kangaroo Kutz, did not want Daniel Kovacevic in front of his shop that morning. "He was a threat to my community," Slater told the news site. "If I can prevent him from shooting up the city, I would. I won't condone it. Somebody's got to stand up."

Police arrived shortly after and tried to calm Slater, who was reportedly shouting at Kovacevic.

"[Slater] was obviously emotional and concerned about his safety and the safety of everyone in the community," Police Sgt. Doug Sandor said.

"I told [Kovacevic] to take his guns off," Slater said. "I told him let me have five or 10 minutes with him without his weapons."

Slater also called officers out for trying to calm him instead of engaging with Kovacevic. "[The police] asked me why do I have a problem," Slater said. "He's a threat to me and my people. He's a threat to me.

"[The police] were more concerned about me than him, as if I were the threat," he added. "It it were me with a gun, they would have shut the whole block down."

Officers are claiming that they have their hands tied—even as Akron police spokesman Lt. Rick Edwards acknowledged that the man has been spotted in predominantly black communities—because of Ohio's gun laws, which allow open carry.

Some, however, aren't too thrilled with the police response and suggest that race may be a factor in the toned-down response, especially considering the deaths of Tamir Rice and John Crawford, both of whom were shot in Ohio by police while carrying toy weapons.

"It's different if it's a black person. People say it isn't, but it is," one person, 26-year-old Traneece Johnson, told the site, referencing Tamir. "[Kovacevic] was approached, and they gave him a chance to speak and say he was expressing his right. The little boy didn't get that chance."

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/12/ohio_barber_confronts_white_man_walking_around_black_neighborhoods_carrying.html?wpisrc=ck_facebook_CK-ROOT.AA-TRF-A03-FB-FBLP-FKW-US-AA-BO-18-R42

Re: Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by Nobody: 6:05am On Feb 24, 2016
Guess what, I'm a black man and I support open carry.

I intend to open carry in my compound in Ibadan grin
Re: Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by SIRTee15: 7:44pm On Feb 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Guess what, I'm a black man and I support open carry.

I intend to open carry in my compound in Ibadan grin

Go to a white neighbourhood and publicly display a gun.
If u end up in jail, your chi must be strong.
Re: Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by Nobody: 7:56pm On Feb 24, 2016
SIRTee15:

Go to a white neighbourhood and publicly display a gun.
If u end up in jail, your chi must be strong.

There's no such thing as a white neighborhood.

I don't open carry, that's nonsense. I conceal carry but will open carry on my property in Ibadan as I clearly stated.
Re: Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by SIRTee15: 8:03pm On Feb 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

There's no such thing as a white neighborhood.

I don't open carry, that's nonsense. I conceal carry but will open carry on my property in Ibadan as I clearly stated.
Open carry or conceal carry.........
Just let them call police for u......
Na that day u will know the definition of white neighbourhood and your boundaries in such areas.
As per ibadan........
Just make sure its legal and licensed, or else.......
Police will declare feast on top ur head.
Re: Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
SIRTee15:

Open carry or conceal carry.........
Just let them call police for u......
Na that day u will know the definition of white neighbourhood and your boundaries in such areas.
As per ibadan........
Just make sure its legal and licensed, or else.......
Police will declare feast on top ur head.

You like to exaggerate.

There's no such thing as white neighborhood in my circle. But I submit that it probably depends on your character.

The law defines boundaries not neighbors or police.

I think it's insane to open carry an M16 in public but it's not illegal in certain communities.

As far as Ibadan, you do you and I do me, Kapish? grin
Re: Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Gun by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

As far as Ibadan, you do you and I do me, Kapish? grin

Sir Egun Mogaji a.k.a Agba Awo Ton fi Basket sip Hennessy. Egbon, I troway salute oooo grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Satan Is Resident In Syria..... / Game Over: Trump Mocks Enemies As He Is Cleared Of Russian Collusion / Ukraine Handed Over Nuclear Weapons To Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.