Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? (586 Views)

Sex Na Food (Pidgin Comedy Edition) Story Of A Rugged Guy By Youngzubi / Southy Needs Help With Pidgin English / "Nwa Aba Na City" (a Pidgin Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? by igwegeorgiano(m): 3:22pm On Feb 22, 2016
Friends in the house, i have been thinking for a while now, cracking my brain as to where pidgin english originated from.

If you travel to the south, west, north and the east, pidgin reigns like an igwe will reign in his kingdom. By God's grace i' ve been opportuned to travelled to some african countries, pidgin is being spoken though not as fluent as it flows here in naija.

Who are the owners of pidgin english and where does it originated from

Over to you my teachers in the house. am already seated with my chilled cup of kunu ready to learn. thanks
Re: Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? by Laveda(f): 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
@ Topic..
Where was it originated from not where does it originated from.
Re: Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? by Cutehector(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
Niger delta cool
Re: Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? by jerryunit48: 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
Cutehector:
Niger delta cool
I been want talk am since but I just keep quiet, Delta boys go twist am self if you not from there you no go understand
Re: Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
I think it was during the Colonial Era, when the English men brought their language and culture to us and our fore fathers were trying to mimic the way they spoke English and the pronunciation of some of the English words and they got it all mumbled up. And from there on it gradually metamorphosed into a common way of speaking.

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin English: Where Does It Originated From? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
Someone said Niger delta, Actually, it started from the then Benin prior to the arrival of the Portuguese, Initially portuguese was intended to be the lingua franca before the British came with their own which was English so mixture of the then Benin, Portuguese and English brought about pidgin. For example, Lagos is a Portuguese word.

(1) (Reply)

How To Grow Wealthy From Writing / Loving Even When It's Hurting.(3) / Please I Need Short Drama Script About Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.