Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? (1400 Views)

Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo And Daddy Freeze Exchange Words Over Tithing / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? / Matthew 10:28 : Fear God Who Can Throw Us Into Hell? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 23, 2016
Okay. I've been thinking. how did Matthew, Mark, Luke and John get their facts about the birth of Jesus? did Jesus personally tell them how he was born? I really wanna know.
If Yes, how come Jesus was able to provide every detail about his birth since he was a only a baby when everything happened..... ?
The only person I think Could have gotten the true info is John because he took Mary the mother of Jesus into his home.
But then, Mary, we were told was a lady who was reticent and reserved in nature. she preferred to ponder things in her her rather than tell her story.

so, Theologians in the house, can you help a confused fellow?
undecided
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 4:39pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:
Okay. I've been thinking. how did Matthew, Mark, Luke and John get their facts about the birth of Jesus? did Jesus personally tell them how he was born? I really wanna know.
If Yes, how come Jesus was able to provide every detail about his birth since he was a only a baby when everything happened..... ?
The only person I think Could have gotten the true info is John because he took Mary the mother of Jesus into his home.
But then, Mary, we were told was a lady who was reticent and reserved in nature. she preferred to ponder things in her her rather than tell her story.

undecided
Mary was alive and witnessed the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. She was even in the upper room with the other disciples and apostles hence the source of that historical aspect is not far-fetched!
Her being reticent and reserved stands to be proved. I say this because when Jesus waited behind at Jerusalem, after He was found, Mary was the one to do the talking , not Joseph. At the marriage at Cana of Galilee, the Mary there was rather outspoken!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
Mary was alive and witnessed the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. She was even in the upper room with the other disciples and apostles hence the source of that historical aspect is not far-fetched!
Her being reticent and reserved stands to be proved. I say this because when Jesus waited behind at Jerusalem, after He was found, Mary was the one to do the talking , not Joseph. At the marriage at Cana of Galilee, the Mary there was rather outspoken!
how come Mary got to know the full details about the Adventures of the wise men? she knew all that happened in the then King Herod's palace.. and she never had access to the palace neither did she Journey with the wise men.. how then did she get to know all these if you claim she was the source of the Gospel........?
thanks for your previous reply.... I'm patiently anticipating your next reply sir smiley
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 5:58pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

how come Mary got to know the full details about the Adventures of the wise men? she knew all that happened in the then King Herod's palace.. and she never had access to the palace neither did she Journey with the wise men.. how then did she get to know all these if you claim she was the source of the Gospel........?
thanks for your previous reply.... I'm patiently anticipating your next reply sir smiley
I did not say Mary was the source of the Gospel! You asked about the historical part, nativity etc

As regards that detail highlighted consider the extent of the news at that time:

1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judæa in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2 saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3 When Herod the king had heard [size=14pt]these things[/size], he was troubled, [size=14pt]and all Jerusalem with him[/size].
Matthew 2:1-3

The coming of the wisemen and their inquiries was known to all Jerusalem! Not Herod alone. Meaning it was common knowledge and remember that these men came to Mary and Joseph.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 23, 2016
Scholar8200:

I did not say Mary was the source of the Gospel! You asked about the historical part, nativity etc

As regards that detail highlighted consider the extent of the news at that time:

1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judæa in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2 saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3 When Herod the king had heard [size=14pt]these things[/size], he was troubled, [size=14pt]and all Jerusalem with him[/size].
Matthew 2:1-3

The coming of the wisemen and their inquiries was known to all Jerusalem! Not Herod alone. Meaning it was common knowledge and remember that these men came to Mary and Joseph.
thanks for the clarification. ... Sir. smiley

but how could Mary have Remembered every single detail of events that happened over the years. even in her absence..... ?
an example below is Luke chapter 1:15-18

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the
Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor
strong drink; and he shall be filled with
the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's
womb.
16 And many of the children of Israel shall
he turn to the Lord their God.
And he shall go before him in the spirit
and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of
the fathers to the children, and the
disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to
make ready a people prepared for the
Lord.
17 And Zacharias said unto the angel,
Whereby shall I know this? for I am an
old man, and my wife well stricken in
years.
18 And the angel answering said unto him, I
am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of
God; and am sent to speak unto thee,
and to shew thee these glad tidings.

without being biased, do you think Mary could have provided this detail? especially verse 16 embarassed
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

but how could Mary have Remembered every single detail of events that happened over the years. even in her absence..... ?

without being biased, do you think Mary could have provided this detail? especially verse 16 embarassed

Luke got his info from many witnesses.

Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.
Luke 1:1-4 NKJV
http://bible.com/114/luk.1.1-4.NKJV
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

undecided
Mary was with the disciples during Christ's ministry. They must have spoken about it.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

Mary, like many women casually mentioned in the bible, is underestimated. She understood Alot of mysteries. No normal person would converse with Gabriel and Elizabeth in the manner she did without having a deep understanding of spiritual things.

She prophesied, when she met her cousin Elizabeth, and what kind of faith, that when Gabriel told her about her conception, she responded; "...be it unto me, according to your word..." And it was. Mary is underrated. Probably for good reason, or she could be turned into a god alongside her son by people.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by ichuka(m): 7:21pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

undecided
Same way Moses got and wrote the story of Genesis.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Feb 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

Mary, like many women casually mentioned in the bible, is underestimated. She understood Alot of mysteries. No normal person would converse with Gabriel and Elizabeth in the manner she did without having a deep understanding of spiritual things.

She prophesied, when she met her cousin Elizabeth, and what kind of faith, that when Gabriel told her about her conception, she responded; "...be it unto me, according to your word..." And it was. Mary is underrated. Probably for good reason, or she could be turned into a god alongside her son by people.
I think I get your point sir. Thanks for the contribution.
so in summary, Mary while on earth, was omnipresent.
Thanks.
Sorry to deviate from the main topic. just a little misunderstanding here;
okay, How come she never gave any account on the number of children she bore?
and that alone has brought so many controversies in the church.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 23, 2016
Bobbysworld28:

Luke got his info from many witnesses.

Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.
Luke 1:1-4 NKJV
http://bible.com/114/luk.1.1-4.NKJV
the question is who are these witnesses?
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Feb 23, 2016
ichuka:

Same way Moses got and wrote the story of Genesis.
That's another Question I've been having in mind to ask. can you kindly tell us how moses where moses got his stories from?
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 8:52pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

Read Luke 1 further, this you have quoted was spoken to Zachariah, John's father, Elizabeth's husband. Remember Mary spent 3 months with Elizabeth when the latter was pregnant. Besides, all these details will be communicated then because before this time, Elizabeth had been barren and now was old so the circumstance behind this miracle of her conception (Luke 1:58) will be rehearsed in the community over and over again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 8:54pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

the question is who are these witnesses?
The ones mentioned in John 15:27 and Acts 1:21,22
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

That's another Question I've been having in mind to ask. can you kindly tell us how moses where moses got his stories from?
Your answer to this is if you can find out how Paul got to know about the details of, and what transpired at the last supper being absent therefrom and before he met the apostles to compare notes. see 1 Corinth 11:23 and Galatians 1:11,12
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
Read Luke 1 further, this you have quoted was spoken to Zachariah, John's father, Elizabeth's husband. Remember Mary spent 3 months with Elizabeth when the latter was pregnant. Besides, all these details will be communicated then because before this time, Elizabeth had been barren and now was old so the circumstance behind this miracle will be rehearsed in the community over and over again.
your moniker is really a reflection of who you are... nothing but a 'scholar' smiley thanks for the clarification sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
Your answer to this is if you can find out how Paul got to know about the details of, and what transpired at the last supper being absent therefrom and before he met the apostles to compare notes. see 1 Corinth 11:23 and Galatians 1:11,12
that of Paul is understandable. but that of moses, honestly I have no idea embarassed
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 11:06pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

your moniker is really a reflection of who you are... nothing but a 'scholar' smiley thanks for the clarification sir.
We thank God

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 11:10pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

that of Paul is understandable. but that of moses, honestly I have no idea embarassed
Moses also wrote by inspiration and revelation just like Paul did.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
Moses also wrote by inspiration and revelation just like Paul did.
but logically, dreams and revelations can't be regarded as true sources of knowledge.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Scholar8200(m): 11:26pm On Feb 23, 2016
ShyNeptune:

but logically, dreams and revelations can't be regarded as true sources of knowledge.
Well revelations/inspiration/open vision rank higher than dreams. Since God does reveal the future therewith, any wonder He can reveal thhe past using same?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
Well revelations/inspiration/open vision rank higher than dreams. Since God does reveal the future therewith, any wonder He can reveal the past using same?
Cool. ... Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 3:08am On Feb 24, 2016
ShyNeptune:

I think I get your point sir. Thanks for the contribution.
so in summary, Mary while on earth, was omnipresent.
Thanks.
Sorry to deviate from the main topic. just a little misunderstanding here;
okay, How come she never gave any account on the number of children she bore?
and that alone has brought so many controversies in the church.

If you like reading other books that never made it as part of the bible, here is an account of the life of mary.

The gospel of the birth of mary
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/lbob/lbob05.htm

The protoevangelion
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/lbob/lbob06.htm

Remember that mary did not drop from heaven. She had family too. And she could talk too. If you wanted to write about your mother's life as a child, wouldn't you? With a little effort and consultation? I fail to see the big deal here.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by ichuka(m): 12:42pm On Feb 26, 2016
ShyNeptune:

Through the Revelation of the Holy Spirit.same way Adam was able to name all the animals.
Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2016
Muafrika2:

If you like reading other books that never made it as part of the bible, here is an account of the life of mary.

The gospel of the birth of mary
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/lbob/lbob05.htm

The protoevangelion
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/lbob/lbob06.htm

Remember that mary did not drop from heaven. She had family too. And she could talk too. If you wanted to write about your mother's life as a child, wouldn't you? With a little effort and consultation? I fail to see the big deal here.
Yeah. .... true cool the bolded alone is enough explanation smiley .. Thanks a Million for this.. Sir wink

1 Like

Re: Where Did Matthew, Mark And John Get The Nativity Story From? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 26, 2016
ichuka:

Through the Revelation of the Holy Spirit.same way Adam was able to name all the animals.
How then can we ascertain the veracity of these stories? Because as it is anyone cam claim to have received revelations from the holyspirit and all...

What if moses had written the books from his intellect.. What if moses was a fictional writer like Wole soyinka and Achebe and chimamanda etc....
What if the whole creation story was a fiction by Writer moses?

(1) (Reply)

10,000 Pakistani Muslims Accept Jesus In One Night. / Buhari’s Lopsided Appointments Are A Sign Of End Times. / Do Deeper Life Members Speak In Tongues?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.