Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

On Classical Studies - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / On Classical Studies (749 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Classical Studies by Nwoke: 1:47pm On Jul 11, 2009
Who could tell me something on Classical Studies.
Re: On Classical Studies by jgberg: 4:35pm On Jul 17, 2009
What do you mean by classical studies? Classical studies is a very broad category, which can include poetry, such as the Iliad and the Oddessy by Homer, Political thought, such as Plato's Republic, and Philosophy, such as Aristotle's Nicomachean ethics. Some would consider the study of the Greek and Latin languages as part of classical studies. Also many could include Ancient history as a classical study. The study of Greek and Roman architecture and sculpture would be a classical study.

You should figure out what you really are trying to know, so then you can narrow you search and really find something. I personally have enjoyed studying classical philosophy, especially Aristotle and Plato. I find their works to be still valid in modern culture. I would be pleased to help with any other questions you may have.
Re: On Classical Studies by Nwoke: 3:04pm On Jul 18, 2009
JGBERG,  It gives me joy to hear from you. Thanks for your patient and incisive reply. I posted that topic because I am going in for Classics. Can I still get to hear from you?
Re: On Classical Studies by jgberg: 7:28am On Jul 19, 2009
What do you mean by "going in for"? I have been deeply interested in classic thought for a long time. I have often thought that the knowledge from other civilizations before us can still give us guidance today. Are you more interested in the literature (this is a literature board) or the philosophy of previous civilizations. Sometimes I think these two fields have inescapable interlock, but it can be useful to make a distinction.

(1) (Reply)

True Love / Shay-un On The Sofa / O-bee-jay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.