Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success (5215 Views)

dot / Ebooks On Programming and Other Fields / Nairaland Programmers, Have You Seen This Sh** Am Speechless. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Olumyco(m): 11:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
Programming and Success

I am personally moved to write this because of some of the things I have been coming across in the Programming section of Nairaland which I consider "not too good" for a Programmer who wants to be successful and continue to be successful in life.

A quote says, "HARDWORK may take you to the TOP, but you need CHARACTER to remain there.

It has also been said that "The HARDEST thing to MANAGE in this World is SUCCESS".

The Bible says, "PRIDE goeth before a FALL"

From the above quotes I believe that whoever wants to be successful in life must be humble.
Your hardwork, your intelligence, your talents and what have you, may take you to the top but you need Character (humility, patience, love etc) to remain there.
I have seen some display of ego, pride and even insults here in this forum by programmers, which are totally out of place and unhealthy for a community of programmers who has future and are ambitious of becoming successful in life.

I don't know why we brag on things that might loose their footings and savours in the nearest future all in the name of "change" . None of us has got to where Bill Gates, Larry page, Mark Zuckerberg and co have got to and we are doing like this.... When we get to their level is this how we will be misbehaving? I think its high time every programmer here started reading books on "How to Manage Success", Emotional Intelligence, Leadership, Human Relationship, Humility etc so that our heads can get cooled down and understand what is called "L-i-f-e". It's like the code we are studying and writing everyday is heating up our brain. We might need to take some rest and pay attention to how to manage success. This field call programming is very intoxicating. You are prone to pride and if care is not taken your success in making it in the IT industry can be cut short.

All these braging and boosting will lead us nowhere except into the ditch. We should try as much as possible to respect ourselves and be humble rather than doing what is immature, unproductive and unhealthy to the community.

I beg us to take it calm. Know that even if you are the best programmer today, some else will be tommorow. Know that if you do something good today, someone else will do it better tommorow. Know that some programmers are out there in Nigeria that are not on Nairaland but are better than you. Know that the knowledge you claim to have is temporary and can vanish with the problems of this life.
What is in this life self.... What is very special about coding..... What have you achieved.....Visit the Hospital, Mortuary, Prison, Orphanage home and the Assylum of imbeciles/Metally retarded people and get sense. Do you think what you are today is by your power. Be careful for you are nothing and can only be something with God.

Please God will continue to help us and prosper our brains and our hands to write great/problem solving codes but let's try and watch our characters and make this forum, Nigeria and the World at large a better place.

THINK ABOUT THESE:

You are presently writing the book of your life that people will read when you are no more. What will people read about you? What will they say you are?

You are currently writing what will become history tomorrow.

You will be remembered for two things in this World. The problems you solved and the ones you created.

................................................................................

Thanks.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 12:49am On Feb 25, 2016
Thats how Nigerians behave, when they achieve a little thing, they think they have arrived.
Cc Olumyco

1 Like

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by asalimpo(m): 11:54am On Feb 25, 2016
Thanks op this post was timely. This section needs more noble minds not egotists.

1 Like

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by DanielTheGreek(m): 5:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
Excellent thread

1 Like

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Celebrimbor(m): 7:36pm On Feb 26, 2016
A round of applause for the OP. alot of programmers here forget that great things are achieved only through teamwork. the Facebook we see today and attribute to Mark Zuckerberg is actually the work of thousands of intelligent engineers at Facebook who took Mark's initial ideas and product and developed it into something awesome. The same thing with Google, Microsoft, Intel, the Linux kernel and a host of other. Teamwork is a much more valuable skill than pure genius. A great team of 10 mediocre programmers is far better than a single genius programmer. So please Ninja coders, we salute your awesome brainpower but learn to be teamplayers.

2 Likes

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by asalimpo(m): 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2016
^^^
I disagree with you.
It takes genuis to concieve and incubate great technical ideas. But once it gains traction, many hands (the teams) are needed to grow the vision to a world-version (i.e one that can benefit millions or more users).

Zuckerberg was a technical genius, so was Linus torvalds, Bill Gates, Larry page, Sergey Brine. Etc. There's not one there who isnt very bright. But bringing facebook to the world (billions of users), windows to the world, google to the world (1 billion queries per day), is a task greater than a single person.

So, drumming team work for programmers who are honing their skills is pre mature. When the vision is about to serve many people, extra hands will be required. Seun of nairaland , ran his site alone until it got bigger than him, then he had to employ people.

3 Likes

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 27, 2016
asalimpo:
^^^
I disagree with you.
It takes genuis to concieve and incubate great technical ideas. But once it gains traction, many hands (the teams) are needed to grow the vision to a world-version (i.e one that can benefit millions or more users).

Zuckerberg was a technical genius, so was Linus torvalds, Bill Gates, Larry page, Sergey Brine. Etc. There's not one there who isnt very bright. But bringing facebook to the world (billions of users), windows to the world, google to the world (1 billion queries per day), is a task greater than a single person.

So, drumming team work for programmers who are honing their skills is pre mature. When the vision is about to serve many people, extra hands will be required. Seun of nairaland , ran his site alone until it got bigger than him, then he had to employ people.

This made me laugh bro, thanks for the post.
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 27, 2016
Celebrimbor:
A round of applause for the OP. alot of programmers here forget that great things are achieved only through teamwork. the Facebook we see today and attribute to Mark Zuckerberg is actually the work of thousands of intelligent engineers at Facebook who took Mark's initial ideas and product and developed it into something awesome. The same thing with Google, Microsoft, Intel, the Linux kernel and a host of other. Teamwork is a much more valuable skill than pure genius. A great team of 10 mediocre programmers is far better than a single genius programmer. So please Ninja coders, we salute your awesome brainpower but learn to be teamplayers.
This is the very truth, and reason that we will never have awesome stuffs on the www until people learn to be team players.

1 Like

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nascimento(m): 7:52am On Mar 08, 2016
I'm not a programmer (at least not yet, just started learning the basics), but I realize that the programmers who brag alot, are like children, who feel like there are gods because they wrote a code for temperature convertion, are beginners. Experience programmers talk less. They spend their time thinking and dreaming about how to solve problems.
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 08, 2016
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Olumyco(m): 5:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by thewebcraft(m): 9:48pm On Mar 08, 2016
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 08, 2016
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by seunthomas: 2:30pm On Mar 09, 2016
Its a free world and so everybody has a right to say what they like. We should be careful about "judge and jury syndrome". Its a common problem with us Nigerians.
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 09, 2016
^^^ You brag-a-lot jor!
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by guru01(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^ You brag-a-lot jor!
Hahahaha brag a lot brag a lot.
Now everyone is point fingers at the other person, but note that the fingers are also pointing back at you.
Time for bragging start!!!!!
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 09, 2016
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by tpiar: 11:11pm On Mar 09, 2016
links?

@ op.
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by tpiar: 11:13pm On Mar 09, 2016
AdmiralDru:
Thats how Nigerians behave, when they achieve a little thing, they think they have arrived.
Cc Olumyco

I was going to post something on despicable me. . . . . . . . . .
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by ijeezlux(m): 10:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Celebrimbor:

Are u a programmer.... If yes then let's form a team
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 11, 2016
tpiar:
links?
Pseudolinks, rather like hashtags on twitter.
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by tpiar: 3:52pm On Mar 11, 2016
dhtml18:

Pseudolinks, rather like hashtags on twitter.

Examples?
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 11, 2016
Jamb Question!
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by eworm: 8:58pm On Mar 11, 2016
Please lets not quarrel over here
Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by GoodBoi1(m): 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
This section changed after the tsunami, it was like a lot of good guys left.I remember back then, you could find good coders in mainstream languages.There were Java guys, C++ , C#, C guys, python, php even embedded system programmers were here. Everybody was helping each other. Now it seems like braggers paradise. Nobody is really helping each other anymore; and I must agree lots of good programming related activities Nigeria are done outside here and their communities on various social media platforms.

1 Like

Re: Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success by sisqology(m): 5:56pm On Mar 12, 2016
We will get there!

(1) (Reply)

My Board Games In Vb 6.0 / APTECH Products Please I Need Urgent Info. Please!!!! / List Software Development Companies In Lagos ( WEB)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.