Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

The Church Is Now A Business! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Church Is Now A Business! (5662 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult / Living Faith Church Is 30 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 12, 2009
"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

- http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele-evangelist_lifestyles.html
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 12, 2009
Partial list of millionaire false prophets fleecing the flock . . .

- Joyce Meyer
- Joel Osteen
- Mike Murdoch
- Pat Robertson
- Paul Crouch
- Oral Roberts
- Richard Roberts
- Benny Hinn
- Paula White
- T.D. Jakes
- Juanita Bynum
- Bishop Weeks
- Creflo Dollar
- Robert Tilton
- Kenneth Copeland
- Eddie Long
- Marylin Hickey
- Jesse Duplantis
- Rod Parsley
- Todd Bentley
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by platinumnk(f): 12:01am On Jul 13, 2009
davidylan:

"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

- http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele-evangelist_lifestyles.html

dontu know almost everthing in America is Business.

Glad to se my pastor not on the list cheesy
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by bawomolo(m): 1:03am On Jul 13, 2009
get your hustle on
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Tudor6(f): 2:38am On Jul 13, 2009
davidylan:

- Joyce Meyer
- Joel Osteen
- Mike Murdoch
- Pat Robertson
- Paul Crouch
- Oral Roberts
- Richard Roberts
- Benny Hinn
- Paula White
- T.D. Jakes
- Juanita Bynum
- Bishop Weeks
- Creflo Dollar
- Robert Tilton
- Kenneth Copeland
- Eddie Long
- Marylin Hickey
- Jesse Duplantis

In my school days when my mum was busy forcing me to attend these mega-christian schools in nigeria these men were held in high esteem by both our school authority and the church. Mike murdoch for example came to the school once, so did the oral roberts. Both men all the time ranting like they had meaningful stuff to say. One was busy preaching to us about wealth and even tore the dollar calling it a piece of paper! Ted haggard also came and was supposedly performing miracles, thank goodness i wasn't there, i decided to skip the whole useless service to stay back and have a nice nap in the hostel. When guys came back they were like "oh Tudor you missed; the blind saw, a crippled man walked and blah blah blah" "he's a powerful man blah blah"Imagine my suprise when he confessed years later to having homosexual relationships! My immediate thoughts were "at least i didn't waste that sunday"
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by yommyuk: 6:51am On Jul 13, 2009
I have to agree with the poster on this one.

The current trends is after every sermon, there are always products to sell (books, tapes, T-shirts)
That is why I will always agree with Fela on this wise saying "if u dey follow follow u open eyes"

My christainity is a personal relationship with God and loving my fellow brothers and sisters.
There is one book that KICC published - 100 WAYS TO MAKE MONEY. What is that all about.

There is another church called Lighthouse church. The Senior pastor demands money from the church members openly starting from the
higher amounts. A people flock forward like sheep going for the slaughter. COMPLETE MUGUNs

God is not interested in money . He is interested in saving our soul.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by timmy7(m): 7:11am On Jul 13, 2009
Beeni. Na true u talk smiley
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by huxley2(m): 8:48am On Jul 13, 2009
davidylan:

- Joyce Meyer
- Joel Osteen
- Mike Murdoch
- Pat Robertson
- Paul Crouch
- Oral Roberts
- Richard Roberts
- Benny Hinn
- Paula White
- T.D. Jakes
- Juanita Bynum
- Bishop Weeks
- Creflo Dollar
- Robert Tilton
- Kenneth Copeland
- Eddie Long
- Marylin Hickey
- Jesse Duplantis

This cannot be right. These people have millions of followers and admirers. They cannot ALL be being deluded, can they? How is it possible that these millions of people are being fooled by only this handful of ministers.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by KunleOshob(m): 8:55am On Jul 13, 2009
davidylan:

- Joyce Meyer
- Joel Osteen
- Mike Murdoch
- Pat Robertson
- Paul Crouch
- Oral Roberts
- Richard Roberts
- Benny Hinn
- Paula White
- T.D. Jakes
- Juanita Bynum
- Bishop Weeks
- Creflo Dollar
- Robert Tilton
- Kenneth Copeland
- Eddie Long
- Marylin Hickey
- Jesse Duplantis

You forgot to include the list of their Nigerian counterparts, business partners and associates.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 13, 2009
@Davidlyan

What is the basis for this list? Have you been a member of any of these ministries?
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by richjohn1(m): 11:27am On Jul 13, 2009
when I was young Ihad always loved to be a pastor but wih this trend I'm given it a re-think, am ok with being an engineer, christianity has bcome so dirty, I find it hard to say am one sad
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by horse703: 11:31am On Jul 13, 2009
then dont say it
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by jagunlabi(m): 11:36am On Jul 13, 2009
Davidylan,na today?The church is now a business?Are you kidding me?The church/mosque/synagogues all have always been about business from day 1.Their very existence has always been and will always be to support the ruling class and keep them in power by keeping the masses under control while making truckloads money for the priests to sustain them,as well.These has been the case since the ancient times and it remains so till this very day.
How many millions of christians have discovered this fact and left,or stayed but remained silent while completely tuning the entire doctrine out of their psyche?Several millions,believe me.You guys need to wake up and do it now.Get yourself informed about what religions are really all about.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by GEW: 11:38am On Jul 13, 2009
david, huxley, tudor and saint kunle agreeing on one issue what is the world coming to?
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by MrCrackles(m): 11:48am On Jul 13, 2009
So many pastors are "called" by thier bellies. . . . .Some brainwashed flock members will continue to back them regardless!
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by MUZBO(m): 12:06pm On Jul 13, 2009
@jagunlabi, please highlight businesses by mosques. I'm not saying you are wrong but I want to know if my smart ass has fallen victim of 'dupes' in God's name.
I'm waiting. . . .
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by GEW: 12:11pm On Jul 13, 2009
MUZBO:

@jagunlabi, please highlight businesses by mosques. I'm not saying you are wrong but I want to know if my smart ass has fallen victim of 'dupes' in God's name.
I'm waiting. . . .
mishionu. most of the dodgy batteries and watches being sold all over naija are from where?
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by javalove(m): 12:59pm On Jul 13, 2009
crap!!!

of course pple can make money out of falsehood. the whole xtianity itself is falsehood and here are fast guys making money from it. . .plus u make money oo plus u no make money ooooo . . .na hell fire
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by ladygaga(f): 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2009
whats the whloe issue ol about, if u can talk to God in your bedroom, then go ahead nd stop blabbling ribbish about people u dont know on a personal level,,,,,,,,,,,,,pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee lipsrsealed
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by ladygaga(f): 1:27pm On Jul 13, 2009
.it in the bivle, seek ye 1st the kingdom of ofGod and ALL OTHER THINGS SHALL BE ADDED ONTO IT, GOD IS NOT A GOD OF POVERTY, U CANT WORSHIP GOD IN TRUTH AND BE POOOR, NEVER
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by ladygaga(f): 1:28pm On Jul 13, 2009
.it in the bible, seek ye 1st the kingdom of ofGod and ALL OTHER THINGS SHALL BE ADDED ONTO IT, GOD IS NOT A GOD OF POVERTY, U CANT WORSHIP GOD IN TRUTH AND BE POOOR, NEVER
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by manmustwac(m): 1:36pm On Jul 13, 2009
GEW:

david, huxley, tudor and saint kunle agreeing on one issue what is the world coming to?
lol
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 1:04am On Jul 14, 2009
1 Residence of: Joyce and Dave Meyer
Bought: April 27th, 1999
Purchase Price: About $795,000
Square Footage: 10,000
Cost of Improvements: $1.1 Million
Features: 6 Bedrooms, 5 Bathrooms, Gold Putting Green, Swimming pool, 8 Car Heated and Cooled Garage, Guest House with 2 more bedrooms, Gazebo.

2 Residence of: Daughter, Sandra McCollom and her husband Steve
Bought: February 12, 2002
Purchase Price: $400,000
Square Footage: About 5,000
Cost of Improvements: About $250,000
Features: 4 Bedrooms, 3 full and 2 half Bathrooms, All-Seasons room, Prayer Room, Media Center and a Home Office.

3 Residence of: Son, David Meyer and his wife Joy Meyer.
Bought: June 18, 2001
Purchase Price: $725,000
Square Footage: 4,000
Cost of Improvements: Unknown
Features: 2 Story Colonial, 4 Bedrooms, 2 1/2 Bathrooms, 2 Garages and a Utility Shed

4 Residence of: Daughter, Laura Holtzmann and her husband Doug
Bought: March 7, 2001
Purchase Price: $350,000
Square Footage: 2,358
Cost of Improvements: $3,000
Features: 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms with a Fireplace.

5 Residence of: Son, Dan Meyer and his wife Charity
Bought: Mar 13, 2000
Purchase Price: About 200,000
Square Footage: About 2,000
Cost of Improvements: $33,000
Features: Brick Ranch With Full Finished Basement

Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Hauwa1: 1:14am On Jul 14, 2009
david, the preachers you listed with homes of 300k or less look modest to me.

pple like Osteen, Hinn, etc are lipsrsealed
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 1:17am On Jul 14, 2009
*Hauwa*:

david, the preachers you listed with homes of 300k or less look modest to me.

pple like Osteen, Hinn, etc are  lipsrsealed

Those homes were purchased at least 7-10 yrs ago which is what makes their purchase price seem "small" compared to now. I know one of those homes is up for sale for nothing less than $1.7m.

It isnt modest when you buy a house for yourself and your 4 children ON THE TITHES AND OFFERINGS given by poor people struggling with mortgages. It isnt modest if all your kids and their spouses all "work for the ministry" and are paid from the offerings of sheeple who cant see beyond their noses. All renovations (pretty much all the homes were torn down and rebuilt from scratch), landscaping, maintenance and property taxes are fully paid for by the ministry.

Joyce Meyer is a thief, swindler and false prophetess.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by No2Atheism(m): 1:18am On Jul 14, 2009
KunleOshob:

You forgot to include the list of their Nigerian counterparts, business partners and associates.

Am telling you, nigerian ones are actually the ones that scare me the more cus it shows that they are either ignorant of the history of those people or they are complicit or they are just naive.

Most of the successful american pastors are members of either freemason or jesuit or catholic stooge or illuminati or humanist or one secret society or another.

I now understand the amount of damage these so called pastors are doing to the church considering that:

1. they are leading many down the path of destruction.
2. they are destroying families by causing those families to lose their money to them in terms of tithes, offerings and pledges.
3. Some christians are just so feely goody that they do not even realise what is going on.

I went to one church service in nigeria and i was nauseated because it was devoid of most things that really matter, it was all about success this success that, victory this victory that deliverance this deliverance that. The real meat of hearing the real word was being left untouched for most of the service.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 1:19am On Jul 14, 2009
Peter was the chief of the disciples . . . where did he use the discipleship offering bag to get his wife a choice home in Rome?
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Hauwa1: 1:27am On Jul 14, 2009
i stopped watching Joyce program. you are right. . . one church i fancy so much is the Crystal Cathedral (Robert Schuller).
i think the guy lived a simple life (not sure but the story of his church is awesome. i like Graham too the rest are just making real cool dough.
i might stop buying their books now grin
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 14, 2009
Have you ever wondered why this "seed offering" only works one way? Each time TBN, TCT and co come up asking for money to remain on the air . . . has anyone stopped to ask them why they dont give a seed offering so God can provide the funds to keep them on instead of begging?

Why does Benny Hinn or Richard Roberts keep begging for money to sponsor "crusades" (those scams they run in remote places where they can claim "miracles"wink instead of simply sowing seed?
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 14, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i stopped watching Joyce program. you are right. . . one church i fancy so much is the Crystal Cathedral (Robert Schuller).
i think the guy lived a simple life (not sure but the story of his church is awesome. i like Graham too the rest are just making real cool dough.
i might stop buying their books now grin

You're attending the church of a new age thief? shocked

I stopped buying their books long long ago . . . they are nothing but re-packaged sermons . . . empty rhetoric meant to scratch the itchy ears of the unsaved. Note how every pastor now has a book or two . . . its the easiest route to make money which is tax-free and belongs to you unlike the tithes and offerings which are required to belong to the "ministry" under US tax laws.

the bible is enough for me.
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Abuzola(m): 1:31am On Jul 14, 2009
@david, did you forgot Nigeria, when it came to naija wat happened ? Probably fake pastors extorting money from people in the name of tithe and offering
Re: The Church Is Now A Business! by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 14, 2009
From Robert Schuller's book, My Journey ,
"I met once more with the Grand Mufti (a Muslim), truly one of the great Christ-honoring leaders of faith. ,  I'm dreaming a bold impossible dream: that positive-thinking believers in God will rise above the illusions that our sectarian religions have imposed on the world, and that leaders of the major faiths will rise above doctrinal idiosyncrasies, choosing not to focus on disagreements, but rather to transcend divisive dogmas to work together to bring peace and prosperity and hope to the world, " p. 502

"Standing before a crowd of devout Muslims with the Grand Mufti, I know that we're all doing God's work together. Standing on the edge of a new millennium, we're laboring hand in hand to repair the breach." p. 501

And these wolves are leading some right into eternal damnation with their heresies.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Our Camp was loaded with Christians, but only 2 will not deny Jesus (Ex-Boko) / Ablution In The Bible. / What Is The Invisible Pink Unicorn Argument?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.