Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,410 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) (5741 Views)

Nigerian Software Engineer given test to prove he is an engineer at JFK Airport / New Horizons Vs Hiit Vs Aptech - For Web Development & Programming Skills / Operation Prove Your Programming Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 11:31am On Feb 26, 2016
Please, i didnt write this because I thought its difficult and will prove myself as one of nairaland's baddest. Rather, I wrote it because the project idea specified here (https://www.nairaland.com/2957462/operation-prove-programming-skills) was something I already needed even before the OP called my attention to it. And I think many of us need it too.

This application, implemented in C# watches your desktop folder. Any file that is created on it, is automatically moved to the appropriate folder. If such appropriate folder does not exist on the desktop, it will create it.

Thus, if you add a picture on your desktop. It will move it to 'Desktop/Pictures' automatically creating the pictures folder, if it doesn't exist.

I wrote this in 1hour so code-readability and scalability were not my priority. Just wanted to get it working. If it turns out to be accepted here, I and other volunteers, will of course improve it. and I will drop the Larisoft in its name.

You can download the application from http://tfellow.com/larisoftCleanDesktop.zip. After download, launch the setup file.

The github link is : https://github.com/larisoft/cleanDesktop

I will appreciate any criticisms. Thanks
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by seunthomas: 11:50am On Feb 26, 2016
Very nicely done larisoft. Looking at your code, i can tell it works. grin
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Olumyco(m): 12:19pm On Feb 26, 2016
Wao! This is very good... I am higly impressed.

I av tested it and it makes sense....

More power to ur elbow

The option to either run it in d background or not can be injected into it... So dat for those who will want it run in d background can enable a feature to do dat and dose who wants to b firing it every time can also enable a feature for dat...

Love d concept...

1 Like

Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 26, 2016
This is a very excellent idea, but alas, i was unable to review because of my antivirus settings - but that has been resolved.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 12:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
donjayzi:
This is a very excellent idea, but alas, i was unable to review because of this:

Dhtml, thanks for trying. but is it possible for you to disable the anti-virus?

My c# applications that are published using clickonce are always running into conflict with antiviruses. Doesnt happen when I use installshield though.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 12:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
Olumyco:
Wao! This is very good... I am higly impressed.

I av tested it and it makes sense....

More power to ur elbow

The option to either run it in d background or not can be injected into it... So dat for those who will want it run in d background can enable a feature to do dat and dose who wants to b firing it every time can also enable a feature for dat...

Love d concept...

Thanks so much, olymco. It means a lot coming from you. I will work on the background issh...but in the mean time, we can make it auto start by copying the shortcut source .exe into startup folder.

Thanks so much.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Knownpal(m): 12:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
Should I be Jealous ehn?

grin grin grin grin grin

Oya turn back to my thread jor.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
I have been able to test it properly and it works excellently.

Here is my review:
- Make the app run in the background by default
- Create a shortcut icon that will be visible in the system tray and that will have the following menu items:
1. Show/hide app => this will open a GUI that allows you to set options (and that will contain a few info as to what the app does)
2. Enable/Disable
3. Exit App
*Just a friendly suggestion* you can modify the idea sha. . . .

And yes, the application should automatically startup with windows, in case of system restart, so that an end-user will not keep starting it at interval.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 1:12pm On Feb 26, 2016
seunthomas:

Thanks baba.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 27, 2016
+1 download(Download link not working), review on the way, forking later.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by dammytosh: 2:06pm On Feb 27, 2016
larisoft:
Please, i didnt write this because I thought its difficult and will prove myself as one of nairaland's baddest. Rather, I wrote it because the project idea specified here (https://www.nairaland.com/2957462/operation-prove-programming-skills) was something I already needed even before the OP called my attention to it. And I think many of us need it too.

This application, implemented in C# watches your desktop folder. Any file that is created on it, is automatically moved to the appropriate folder. If such appropriate folder does not exist on the desktop, it will create it.

Thus, if you add a picture on your desktop. It will move it to 'Desktop/Pictures' automatically creating the pictures folder, if it doesn't exist.

I wrote this in 1hour so code-readability and scalability were not my priority. Just wanted to get it working. If it turns out to be accepted here, I and other volunteers, will of course improve it. and I will drop the Larisoft in its name.

You can download the application from http://tfellow.com/larisoftCleanDesktop.zip. After download, launch the setup file.

The github link is : https://github.com/larisoft/cleanDesktop

I will appreciate any criticisms. Thanks

That is the power of the DotNet Frame work.

Program a File Watcher event and do the movement.

I appreciate your courage and this is one of the reason i tell people who write PHP that "YOU NEED MORE THAN PHP" for me to categorize you as a programmer.

I am sure an average Java dude will be able do this without stress.

"You know your language / platform is powerful if you can achieve it once some one conceives it."
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by elfico(m): 4:05pm On Feb 27, 2016
dammytosh:

That is the power of the DotNet Frame work.

Program a File Watcher event and do the movement.

I appreciate your courage and this is one of the reason i tell people who write PHP that "YOU NEED MORE THAN PHP" for me to categorize you as a programmer.

I am sure an average Java dude will be able do this without stress.

"You know your language / platform is powerful if you can achieve it once some one conceives it."

I think you can do this in PHP and Python using automation. Can tell if its better than dotnet though.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by airsaylongcon: 10:53pm On Feb 27, 2016
seunthomas:
grin
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by seunthomas: 10:41am On Feb 28, 2016
seunthomas:

airsaylongcon:

grin
@airsaylongcon Why you dey laff na. You think i just go around making bad comments ni? If your work is good i will say it na
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by airsaylongcon: 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2016
seunthomas:

@airsaylongc.on Why you dey laff na. You think i just go around making bad comments ni? If your work is good i will say it na
You get we'll know why I'm smiling with all my teeth showing. I'm a bit surprised you can "eye-ball" code without running it on a compiler and tell that it will run. You know now struct, ->, and other ugly C Code. I guess you can also tell if they will run without compiling them grin

1 Like

Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by seunthomas: 12:42pm On Feb 28, 2016
airsaylongcon:

You get we'll know why I'm smiling with all my teeth showing. I'm a bit surprised you can "eye-ball" code without running it on a compiler and tell that it will run. You know now struct, ->, and other ugly C Code. I guess you can also tell if they will run without compiling them grin
@airsaylongcon I wrote a similar program using watcher not long ago. So as for your surprise, not moved na. The solution was the elegant way to go unlike anyhing you have provided which is always mired in debate and controversy. Like i said, i dont need to prove anything to you and your band wagon na. If you see light and prefer mediocrity, then be my guest. It should actually show you that contrary to what u and many of your bandwagons believe and preach, i am not out to destroy anyone. Someone was said progress is when we appreciate the good and correct the bad or is that wrong?? If you create good code, i wont critic na but commend...
By the way i was self taught and the thing about self taught people in programming is that they are always passionate. So when i critic you, its not because i want to destroy you but rather like Jesus(zeal overwhelms me).
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by airsaylongcon: 12:45pm On Feb 28, 2016
seunthomas:

@airsaylong.con I wrote a similar program using watcher not long ago. So as for your surprise, not moved na. The solution was the elegant way to go unlike anyhing you have provided which is always mired in debate and controversy. Like i said, i dont need to prove anything to you and your band wagon na. If you see light and prefer mediocrity, then be my guest. It should actually show you that contrary to what u and many of your bandwagons believe and preach, i am not out to destroy anyone. Someone was said progress is when we appreciate the good and correct the bad or is that wrong?? If you create good code, i wont critic na but commend...

Let's not derail a beautiful thread here please. I have nothing against larisoft and his elegant code. I only smiled and you have read a thousand meanings into it.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by asalimpo(m): 12:55pm On Feb 28, 2016
^^^
He read so much meaning into a smile because he is insecure.

@op
checked out the code. Was suprised to see that c# has a native 'move' method. You guys are really pampered.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Olumyco(m): 11:41am On Feb 29, 2016
asalimpo:
^^^
He read so much meaning into a smile because he is insecure.

@op
checked out the code. Was suprised to see that c# has a native 'move' method. You guys are really pampered.

Laffs

Lol @ You guys are really pampered....

Anyway dats Microsoft for all of us.... Infact Larisoft is at home in dis feat using C#...

Hmmmm Power of .net
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by Diakon(m): 1:12pm On Mar 03, 2016
Hi larisoft
Please I really need to get in touch with you. I sent you a message but you haven't replied. Could you send me a WhatsApp message on 08165213439?
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by DonSegmond(m): 3:00pm On Mar 03, 2016
Checkout my github link, we could collaborate in the future. http://github.com/segmond
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by mbatuku1: 7:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
This is really nice stuff. This the kind of stuff I want to see myself doing in c# soon.
larisoft, How do I study the scope of .NET framework? I mean a link or book that let's me know all available functionality of c#. I'm just a beginner in c#.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 1:41pm On Mar 07, 2016
mbatuku1:
This is really nice stuff. This the kind of stuff I want to see myself doing in c# soon.
larisoft, How do I study the scope of .NET framework? I mean a link or book that let's me know all available functionality of c#. I'm just a beginner in c#.

Sorry am replying late. I got caught up writing the main, properly modularized version of the cleandesktop app. I will recommend you just google "dot net pearls C# tutorial" (can't remember the site address exactly"wink. Then be prepared to write a lot of mini projects with the language. Also, take look at the cleandesktop app source code. It will show you a lot of stuff like creating windows shortcuts, creating and moving files, e.t.c.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 1:43pm On Mar 07, 2016
Diakon:
Hi larisoft
Please I really need to get in touch with you. I sent you a message but you haven't replied. Could you send me a WhatsApp message on 08165213439?

Thanks, Diakon. My phone is switched off 99% of the time. But you can reach me on larypetero@gmail.com. Thanks for finding this interesting.
Re: Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) by larisoft: 1:46pm On Mar 07, 2016
Full version of CleanDesktop is ready now.
This app, which simply keeps your desktop free of cluttering files, by moving every file to its appropriate folder has the following features:

1. starts by itself once system boots
2. Allows you to create custom extension
3. ALlows you to send commands to the application through the command line
4. Moves html files together with their resource folders.
5. It is open source and newbies and pros alike are welcome to modify, reuse, and criticize the code. Plus you can look at the code and see there's no shady deal going on behind the scenes...e.g. hidden viruses.

github link:
https://github.com/larisoft/cleanDesktop

app download link:
http://tfellow.com/cleandesktop.zip

cc: oga seunthomas, fincoapps, olumyco, donjayzi, knownpal, Danielthegeek, ,dammytosh, elfico, airsalongcon, diakon, dhtml18, pcguru, airsalangu, guru08 e.t.c.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can Blog Be Develope From Scratch Without The Use Of Wp Or Blogger? / I Need Help On Java / How Much Will It Cost To Create An IOS, And An Android App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.