Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) (58574 Views)

Nigerian Engineer Makes Drones That Smell Bombs. / RC Cars, Drones And Planes / This Nigerian Makes Drones For The United States Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by GoldEnyong(m): 3:40pm On Feb 29, 2016
you only bring them home if you want to disgrace and killl them. No Nigerian back home especially politicians do appreciate another Nigerian in diaspora.

You can keep counting how many of them we brought home to disgrace.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by ivili(m): 3:42pm On Feb 29, 2016
Gbengais:
Nice one.. we don't need him anymore.. we need to groom the ones like him that are still in Nigeria by providing goo educational system.
And after you groom them what would you do with them?The ones showing their tech talent on nairaland and other forum are of no use to Nigeria.The west have more use for such great minds than Nigeria...sad but true.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by blazer234: 3:46pm On Feb 29, 2016
fairheven:

And you think he would have archived this feat if he was in Nigeria?
The guy is not saying every Nigerian should migrate to America but that we need more more talents like him.
And we need our Edu system fixed so we can retain our best talent

If you have, you will know better than that funny comment of yours.

it is clear your Nigerian education is really wobbly and exceptionally poor. I mean, you can't even differentiate between achieved and archived. Even buhari with no school cert will not make that mistake.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by blazer234: 3:47pm On Feb 29, 2016
jantavanta:

I like to believe he meant we need more of those lost talents to be domiciled in Nigeria for Nigeria's development.

i hope so
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by king1234: 3:49pm On Feb 29, 2016
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by ivili(m): 3:50pm On Feb 29, 2016
blazer234:

What kind of thoughtless comment is this?

You need more of what?

More of talents Nigerians to leave the country and become slaves to america?

Have you listened to any of Donald Trump's campaigns?

If you have, you will know better than that funny comment of yours.
Did you say slave?You said it and you actually believe your own words?How many of such people do you think exist in Nigeria?All the time you have spent living as a Nigerian,tell me when your govt have ever ever ever and i repeat ever talked about any tech genius or even encouraged any to build something for the govt?
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by coobboy(m): 4:00pm On Feb 29, 2016
Pwayne2016:
Checked his Name...Osato(Asato) looks like Igbo name or may be he is from Igbanke Clan..all hail Umuigbo

So? Can you not read it succinctly says he's from benin, Edo state with no assumption.

The full name and neaning is:
Osatohanmwen
Which Osato is the short.
And means: God has or had mercy on me.

My question is, why bring tribe into it. All that do not matter, as long as he is Nigerian we are proud of that.

When you get to be around people of different nationality, you will understand that a Nigerian is a Nigerian no matter his tribe or whatsoever, we are black and one (Africa).
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by DeltaOil: 4:01pm On Feb 29, 2016
CastedDude:
nice one...Buhari come and see oo

B00hari is only interested in Northerners thats why he is practicing Northocracy.

We the south-south are happy to stand with our south-east cousins,
who know business & technology.

We'll leave the west to enjoy their fulani masters
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by blazer234: 4:03pm On Feb 29, 2016
ivili:
Did you say slave?You said it and you actually believe your own words?How many of such people do you think exist in Nigeria?All the time you have spent living as a Nigerian,tell me when your govt have ever ever ever and i repeat ever talked about any tech genius or even encouraged any to build something for the govt?

and mr questionnaire, kindly show me how their discovery in America affect your life in Nigeria.

and i did not "say", i wrote
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by tickles2luv2016(m): 4:03pm On Feb 29, 2016
Those UAVs are not military spec.
I think so too,more like reconaissance drone.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by blazer234: 4:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
lekkie073:
how will u know Obama if u see him?
U go check his DNA to confirm

grin grin grin grin
I can only imagine d kind of reasoning ur brain comes up with?

Boy, u are an idiotttt.

how can anyone with half brain compare human appearance with drone appearance?

I'm short of words. Your emptiness transcends that of an imbecileeeeeeeee.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Leke001: 4:07pm On Feb 29, 2016
CastedDude:

d guy no collect Dasuki money na,so Buhari cant see am!
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by mikaael(m): 4:28pm On Feb 29, 2016
Gbengais:
Nice one.. we don't need him anymore.. we need to groom the ones like him that are still in Nigeria by providing goo educational system.

nice comment...pls mk use of dz ur brain o..it is very active
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by mikaael(m): 4:32pm On Feb 29, 2016
KINGwax007:
Nigerians now build drones too. The army build their drones now...

we can only need his expertise in advice for efficacy

a professor in my skul unilorin also makes drones...he launchd it during my convo...
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by mikaael(m): 4:32pm On Feb 29, 2016
KINGwax007:
Nigerians now build drones too. The army build their drones now...

we can only need his expertise in advice for efficacy

a professor in my skul unilorin also makes drones...he launchd it during my convo last year
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by nike4love: 4:34pm On Feb 29, 2016
If this guy had schooled in 9ja,quota system may not allow him get admission into university to get a substandard 9ja education.
by now he will be building cars with carton,and we be reading the news on nairaland,some will say keep it up,others will criticise,the rest will blast ppl that criticises.and that will be the end of his dream.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by fairheven: 4:55pm On Feb 29, 2016
blazer234:

it is clear your Nigerian education is really wobbly and exceptionally poor. I mean, you can't even differentiate between achieved and archived. Even buhari with no school cert will not make that mistake.

blazer234:

What kind of thoughtless comment is this?

You need more of what?

More of" talents" Nigerians to leave the country and become slaves in American?

Even you, professor could not differentiate between "talents and talented?"

Shame on you
Anu mpam!
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by theGistsonline: 4:59pm On Feb 29, 2016
CioAngels:
Dr osato, weldone, i am proud of you and many others like you. There is a poor Nigerian boy who is making drones locally and it worked when he exibited it even though it did not go high, it was his first and with and encouragement from you, he will be perfect. I don't his name and i have forgotten the state he resides-in . I sincerely plea with you to help him becos Nigerian government will not grant him audience talk more of helping him especially as his from a poor back-ground. This is what Nigeria is, where the poor intelligent children does not have hope of survival. Dr osato, thank you as you do help him.
Reconstruction of sentences please
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by manyr4luv: 5:35pm On Feb 29, 2016
drss:
nigerians keep decieving demselves thinking they ar living in a con3. they don't know they ar living a cage.
d impunity n wickedness of dis con3 (glorified zoo) is dispecable. only dis stone age feudalist double treatment is happening in dis God forsaken con3.
[b]hypocrisy is when fulani herdsmen ar allowed to carry deadly Ak47 guns in full view of security agencies n farmers ar arrested for possessing localy made rifles.
- only in dis God forsaken con3 dat fulani cattle herders ar allowed to protect demsleves but farmers who ar being wiped out by dis terrorist ar not allowed to carry guns to protect demselves n their families.
- only in dis God forsaken zoo called nigeria dat farmers will be arrested n jailed for defending demselves from fulani attack, while d fulani terrorist ar allowed to contunue killing innocent pipul without any SINGLE ARREST!
- only in dis God forsaken con3 dat govt funds ar used to expand fulani cattles through grazing reserves while local farmers has no access to funds for farming.
- only in dis glorified zoo dat unarmed ipob members ar shot for excersing their civil rights n fulani herdsmen ar allowed to carry their cows into pipul's farms without any arrest.
- hypocrisy is when buari dullard support statehood for palestinians but oders an kill EXTRA JUDICIOUSLY UNARMED IPOB MEMBERS for demanding a country of their own.[/b]
keep on living in denial thinking u ar u ar all equal with odas. u ar not equal. u ar just a slave. a slave dat can be killed any time without problem. those 500 benue pipul killed last week alone ar not important according to nigerian jungle law. they don't mean anytin. why? b.cos they ar not equal stake holders in dis fraud call nigeria. get dis straigh, as long as u ar not a fulani born to rule, u ar a second class citizen.
divide dis con3 make every body go him way.
u think am mad no problem. keep living in denial. by d time they wipe u n ur family off d face of d earth in their grand evil expension plan to take ova all lands through GRAZZING RESERVE, den u will understand dat even d maddest person makes sense.
GOD BLESS THE MOTHER THAT GAVE BIRTH TO YOU!!!

1 Like

Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Mbediogu(m): 6:02pm On Feb 29, 2016
CastedDude:

Chai. If he returns home, his drones will be modified for ferrying billion across check points.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by sagieramos(m): 6:04pm On Feb 29, 2016
drones are not big deal to build at this current age
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by dannie007(m): 6:14pm On Feb 29, 2016
Its a benin name! Osatohanmwen in full! Meaning God as shown me mercy!!!! Same name as me"

Pwayne2016:
Checked his Name...Osato(Asato) looks like Igbo name or may be he is from Igbanke Clan..all hail Umuigbo
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Dio1(m): 6:21pm On Feb 29, 2016
Pwayne2016:
Fucking idiot he's an Edo Man, the write Up clearly says so. Igbos always trying to claim everyone
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Ritchiee: 7:03pm On Feb 29, 2016
CioAngels:
Dr osato, weldone, i am proud of you and many others like you. There is a poor Nigerian boy who is making drones locally and it worked when he exibited it even though it did not go high, it was his first and with and encouragement from you, he will be perfect. I don't his name and i have forgotten the state he resides-in . I sincerely plea with you to help him becos Nigerian government will not grant him audience talk more of helping him especially as his from a poor back-ground. This is what Nigeria is, where the poor intelligent children does not have hope of survival. Dr osato, thank you as you do help him.

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT AYOOLA:

https://techpoint.ng/2016/02/25/ayoola-lautech-nigerian-drone-maker/

Ayoola-Olaolu-01
Meet the LAUTECH graduate building flying engines from locally-sourced materials in Nigeria

February 25, 2016 by Victor Ekwealor

Rushing to the office through the hot Lagos sun in this heatwave, I didn’t feel a single burn. My mind was filled with “ifs” and more “whys”. A million questions crammed my brain as it worked hard to tackle the task at hand — I had to interview a young Nigerian drone maker doing extraordinary things with flying engines

“Good afternoon sir,” Olaoluwa Ayoola greets with an endearing, unassuming politeness as he alights from the bus, even though I had insisted he addressed me by my first name.

A few months back, when I heard about a Nigerian student that made a drone and was resident in Nigeria, I was both ecstatic about the prospect of meeting him and sad the Nigerian media didn’t give people like him any enough coverage.
In the spirit of dronemanship, I give you 23 year-old Ayoola Olaoluwa, a Computer Science graduate of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) who has built a working camera drone and a Flying Car from scratch.
Background

lagos-traffic

“The traffic in Lagos is horrible and makes the state appear bigger than it actually is. Getting from one place to another is war!”

I remember this young man was from Ogbomosho in Oyo State where traffic isn’t a major headache. He is the second son in a family of four and by his manners, was from a well mannered parentage.

I wondered aloud what attracted a Computer Scientist to aeronautics,

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (106 of 239)

“I initially wanted to study aeronautical engineering, but it wasn’t available in any Nigerian university at the time, so I settled for Computer Science which is somehow a branch of aeronautics,” he replied with head bowed setting up his machines to be photographed in preparation for our interview.

Ayoola hopes to acquire a Masters Degree in aeronautics someday to develop his passion for making flying engines.
How the journey started

IMG_20131116_175742_0

“I have been making things for as long as I remember”

From building a shiny hyper realistic aeroplane when he was 13 years old to making rotor powered cars that operated on finger batteries, Ayoola had always been creating machines with a leaning towards air engines.

“Everybody was awed by the plane I built”, he laughs in recollection, !but it was not working. It couldn’t fly or even move and they did not even know.”

“Making things has always been something I did as a pastime,” he adds, “the way other people engage themselves in their spare time, I want to create things. It is more like a hobby for me”
Introducing the drones

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (113 of 239)

When I asked him to tell me about his inventions, this young man was quick to point out that they were not his inventions.

“Drones are not new, and I did not invent them, you can call them innovations, I might agree to that but they are more like tweaked prototypes of already existing technology,” he replied in correction of my intentional slip.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (35 of 239)

The drone is a battery powered quadcopter with four rotors attached to the wings and controlled by a joystick that has been tweaked to serve as controls for both the Flying Car and the drone.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (99 of 239)

“I had to buy the batteries online not because there was no local substitute, but they were all heavy and not powerful enough. Even these one still require constant charging after say nearly 30 minutes of continuous use”

I noticed he had to change the batteries multiple times during our test flight.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (43 of 239)

“The controller was originally built for a toy, but I reconfigured the frequency to control both the Flying Car and the Drone”

The controller was the most fascinating part of the engineering to me. I couldn’t wrap my mind around completely altering an already built joystick. The more I asked, the more he explained and the more confused I got. I just left it, but it is mind-blowing nevertheless.

“The drone goes over 300 meters in the sky,” Ayoola tells me, “the time it got missing during the NYSC test flight, I took it too high”
The Flying Car

It can drive like a normal car and take off without having to taxi on any runway.

“A flaw in the design of the drone actually inspired this Flying Car,” remarks Ayoola. “In other words, it started out as a mistake and at the end of the day, I really did like what came out of it. ”

According to Ayoola, what started out as a flaw turned into the best hybrids there is. Imagine having a car that can fly and is not anyway as expensive as any known flying machine. It could completely phase out traffic in congested cities and change the way ambulance services operate.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (160 of 239)

The Flying Car can also go above 30o meters in the air as its flying technology is similar to the drone. It is just a hybrid of a functional motor engine that moves the tires and a flying engine.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (36 of 239)

Having built all these from scratch without formal training of any sorts, I beg to disagree with the “tweaked prototypes” label. This young man struggling against the odds to do the seemingly impossible considering the dispensation in Nigeria today is a working prototype of innovative awesomeness himself. I stand to be corrected.
Challenges

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (196 of 239)

The greatest challenge for the young inventor at the moment is lack of technical know-how. Being a computer science graduate and an aeronautics buff hasn’t exactly made the process seamless for him.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (205 of 239)

“Most of the things I know, I learnt myself. Reading up online, trying and failing till something is achieved. I wish there was an educational structure for people passionate about innovative pursuits to gain hands-on knowledge in those areas.”

Without further probing, we all know most of these facilities that have been set down for purely technical education are not functional and the operational ones are limited in their reach.

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (167 of 239)

Ayoola feels Nigeria is too dependent on the western world for every bit of technological exploit when there is a lot to look inwards to.

Another challenge for him was sourcing materials to assemble these little engines. The first drone he ever made was an aluminium scarps contraption that was too heavy to fly properly.

IMG_20140308_162651_0

“With time, I got to figure out that the lighter the material, the easier it is for the craft to stay longer in the air and be easily manoeuvred.”

And the search for a lightweight material finally led to a Styrofoam body that was, in an ironic twist, so light it fell on most landing attempts or turning for the Flying Car. Says Ayoola:

“One time, I was asked to demonstrate how high the drone could go and I went all in. The drone went so high into the sky that I lost sight of it and had to build another prototype.”

Ayoola Olaolu Drone (58 of 239)

“The white colour of the Styrofoam against the white clouds is a camouflage that would never fail to confuse anybody any day,”

The problem of a good body was one that 3D printing would solve effectively without any qualms. But 3D Printing when pesin never chop? Really?

IMG-20150210-WA000

“My NYSC was in Egbedore Local Government Area of Osun state from October 2014 to November 2015 and during that period, I used the drone as my project of sorts in camp and it attracted a lot of attention. The Director General of NYSC and the Deputy Governor of Osun State also came to see the drone in action.

And according to Ayoola, through that period until now, he has written to every relevant government agency, parastatal and research body, yet no reply.

“They always say they would get back to me, but they never do.”, says Ayoola.
Innovation culture

innovation

There are a million innovators like Ayoola in Nigeria today who have the gift, passion and drive to revamp the Nigerian tech space from a hardware angle. Creating practical solutions that would make everyday life more enjoyable and also putting Nigeria on the map of global technological advancement.

But young people like this need massive support from the government, companies, corporate bodies and even individuals. Technology seems to be the roadmap to Nigeria’s new glory, so let us all support innovation wherever it rears it’s beautiful head. Be it in the form of an Ayoola or somebody else. Support innovation to grow Naija.

https://techpoint.ng/2016/02/25/ayoola-lautech-nigerian-drone-maker/
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by tickles2luv2016(m): 8:20pm On Feb 29, 2016
jmichlins:
No region in Nigeria has exclusive right to great man and women of substance. From East to West and from North to South, we have great people. Repping Ala-Igbo

U pple always wishing what u cant have.se u dey sleep when oba of benin dey clearuna say dem be yoruba,abi u dey sleep when im be dey make ooni realise say im senior am for yoruba land?ma mama na auchi and for auchi dem be moslem and christian,dem also dey bear yoruba names.if my mama hear say u dey call am ala igbo,she go swear for ur generation.i trust alhaja risikat
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Gbengais(m): 8:41pm On Feb 29, 2016
ivili:
And after you groom them what would you do with them?The ones showing their tech talent on nairaland and other forum are of no use to Nigeria.The west have more use for such great minds than Nigeria...sad but true.

Mehmehn Mehmehn brain!!! Needs repair
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Gbengais(m): 8:43pm On Feb 29, 2016
mikaael:

nice comment...pls mk use of dz ur brain o..it is very active

And pls train ur on oo it is dull
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by bewla(m): 8:54pm On Feb 29, 2016
drss:
nigerians keep decieving demselves thinking they ar living in a con3. they don't know they ar living a cage.
d impunity n wickedness of dis con3 (glorified zoo) is dispecable. only dis stone age feudalist double treatment is happening in dis God forsaken con3.
[b]hypocrisy is when fulani herdsmen ar allowed to carry deadly Ak47 guns in full view of security agencies n farmers ar arrested for possessing localy made rifles.
- only in dis God forsaken con3 dat fulani cattle herders ar allowed to protect demsleves but farmers who ar being wiped out by dis terrorist ar not allowed to carry guns to protect demselves n their families.
- only in dis God forsaken zoo called nigeria dat farmers will be arrested n jailed for defending demselves from fulani attack, while d fulani terrorist ar allowed to contunue killing innocent pipul without any SINGLE ARREST!
- only in dis God forsaken con3 dat govt funds ar used to expand fulani cattles through grazing reserves while local farmers has no access to funds for farming.
- only in dis glorified zoo dat unarmed ipob members ar shot for excersing their civil rights n fulani herdsmen ar allowed to carry their cows into pipul's farms without any arrest.
- hypocrisy is when buari dullard support statehood for palestinians but oders an kill EXTRA JUDICIOUSLY UNARMED IPOB MEMBERS for demanding a country of their own.[/b]
keep on living in denial thinking u ar u ar all equal with odas. u ar not equal. u ar just a slave. a slave dat can be killed any time without problem. those 500 benue pipul killed last week alone ar not important according to nigerian jungle law. they don't mean anytin. why? b.cos they ar not equal stake holders in dis fraud call nigeria. get dis straigh, as long as u ar not a fulani born to rule, u ar a second class citizen.
divide dis con3 make every body go him way.
u think am mad no problem. keep living in denial. by d time they wipe u n ur family off d face of d earth in their grand evil expension plan to take ova all lands through GRAZZING RESERVE, den u will understand dat even d maddest person makes sense.
most u call order people family in to this. if u feed up and u can't take it no more take a trip and discover new land
go make peace with your self and sin no more
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Nobody: 9:13pm On Feb 29, 2016
lekkie073:
no mind d useless op.....

all these ones r toys used by teenagers

Exactly...those are toys. You see kids use them around, even music video directors use those toys. OP u Sef ehn?.
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Amberon: 9:26pm On Feb 29, 2016
pls don't even start. He's fully a Bini man. Osato isn't the same as Asato. Last I checked, y'all hated them and abuse them over nothing. Why are you claiming him now?
Pwayne2016:
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Amberon: 9:30pm On Feb 29, 2016
don't mind the silly iPod.
SolexxBarry:

Bro he's from Edo state,thank u
Re: Osato Makes Drones For The US Army (See Photos) by Amberon: 9:32pm On Feb 29, 2016
Are you from Syria?? Edo state pls.
Idrismusty97:
Luckily he is from Benin state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Mars Released By NASA / Jos, Kano Residents Stay Indoors Due To Biting Cold Weather / A Nairalander Kills A Gaboon Viper That Swallowed A Fish At His Place Of Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.