Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,788 members, 7,851,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:24 AM

Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria (653 Views)

Dino Malaye Writes About Obama In A Church / Tony Elumelu Meets With Obama In Kenya / PMB Seats Gallantly Besides Obama In The G7 Summit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by obiem(m): 9:54am On Jul 15, 2009
Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka has backed U.S President Barack Obama decision to visit Ghana. I'm suprised even after reading Femi Falana's stand on the issue. 

See http://nigerianbulletin.com/summary-plus-news/soyinka-backs-obama-in-ghana-scolds-nigeria-kenya-the-guardian/13072009/7922/
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 6:31pm On Jul 15, 2009
Why should you be surprised? Femi Falana has just proven himself to be an idiot!
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by vigasimple(m): 6:56pm On Jul 15, 2009
obiem:

Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka has backed U.S President Barack Obama decision to visit Ghana. I'm suprised even after reading Femi Falana's stand on the issue. 
See http://nigerianbulletin.com/summary-plus-news/soyinka-backs-obama-in-ghana-scolds-nigeria-kenya-the-guardian/13072009/7922/

The only way you could be surprised is if those things are not true, and you are paid agent of the PDP, the  DO NOTHING PARTY.

If you support fraudulent elections, corrupt and clueless leaders then you will see points in FALANA argument.

Does a THIEF HAS ANY OTHER NAME OTHER THAN A THIEF?
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Jul 15, 2009
@Vigasimple, you seriously believe the PDP is the ONLY party responsible for all this crap? Isn't that as ridiculous as believing that only the Republicans voted for the IRAQI and Afghan wars? Come on!!! We need to open our eyes to the fact that the PDP, AC and other parties in Nigeria are responsible for the situation.
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by vigasimple(m): 7:23pm On Jul 15, 2009
@ kobojunkie

Whoever has the power is the one we should call out of what they do or are doing with the power.

If tommorrow, the AC or ANPP or a combination of them behave like PDP, we will call them out. If you have read any of my other posts, I have said that we don't have any opposition parties in Nigeria as AC ANPP etc are no diffrent from PDP( if not worse).

However, those other paties are NOT IN CHARGE as of today, so we should concentrate our energy on the party who has 'power' by whatever means either elected or selected to do the right by the people.

If, somehow we succeded in unseating them, (that is a BIG IF) the other parties will take notice.

That is exactly the OBAMA point, good and accountable democratic institutions that don't rely on Bribery and corruption.
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by obiem(m): 7:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
@vigasimple,
I'm not an agent of PDP or any sort of party whatever, but i'm not suprised at Soyinka's blatant scolding of Nigeria and Kenya for institutionalising irregularity and fraudlent means of coming into power, he's a social critic but reading Falana's view on the issue, it suprises me that Soyinka should have looked at it from the point of view of Falana's. Egypt doesn't promote democracy of any sort, Mubarak has been in power for as long as i remember, so does the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia but Obama has visited 'em both. There are underlining issues that need to come to fore other than the aforementioned. I think it's beyond Nigeria being corrupt, which of course is true.
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Jul 15, 2009
Now this is what i call leadership.
Soyinka is the man, all the respect i have for him has just increased.
How can Obama visit a Nation that is so corrupt, messed up, lawless, care less about development, and practices demon-crazy?

“No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, ” that is the word of a true leader in his address to parliament when he visited Ghana.
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by TheSeeker(m): 8:19pm On Jul 15, 2009
obiem:

@vigasimple,
I'm not an agent of PDP or any sort of party whatever, but i'm not suprised at Soyinka's blatant scolding of Nigeria and Kenya for institutionalising irregularity and fraudlent means of coming into power, he's a social critic but reading Falana's view on the issue, it suprises me that Soyinka should have looked at it from the point of view of Falana's. Egypt doesn't promote democracy of any sort, Mubarak has been in power for as long as i remember, so does the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia but Obama has visited 'em both. There are underlining issues that need to come to fore other than the aforementioned. I think it's beyond Nigeria being corrupt, which of course is true.
Let me start from the emboldened part. Mubarak may have been in power for as long as anyone can remember, but did he retain power by the famous PDP's "do or die" type of democracy? Saudi Arabia may not practise democracy but who has heard noises of corruption from there? I haven't. His refusal to visit Nigeria has more to it? Then what do you say about his refusal to step foot in Kenya? Let's be realistic and call a spade a spade. The main objective is to combat and debunk level of corruption in Africa, and which of these things he mentioned doesn't apply to Nigeria? Soyinka, to everyone, is more intelligent than the bought-over Femi Falana. Why should he see it from his point of view when he's foolish to ignore the obvious?

Kobojunkie:

@Vigasimple, you seriously believe the PDP is the ONLY party responsible for all this crap? Isn't that as ridiculous as believing that only the Republicans voted for the IRAQI and Afghan wars? Come on!!! We need to open our eyes to the fact that the PDP, AC and other parties in Nigeria are responsible for the situation.
PDP are the ruling part and are littered all over the country, so why should we shove the blame the way of the political parties that aren't even any powerful position? Who controls INEC? Who controls all the Ministries? Who controls the Senate and House of Reps? Who appoints all the leaders of the important segments of this country, NNPC, CBN and co? Please let's be realistic here, PDP is a failed political party.
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 15, 2009
Soyinka has always been anti government so whats surprising there. That has always been his handle.

Wasnt he the one who hijacked a radio station in the sixties?
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by TheSeeker(m): 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2009
tpia.:

Soyinka has always been anti government so whats surprising there. That has always been his handle.

Wasnt he the one who hijacked a radio station in the sixties?
And what kind of Nigerian government has he been antagonizing?
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 11:43pm On Jul 15, 2009
Soyinka is usually 99% on point. One of the few Nigerians with any sense.
Re: Soyinka Backs Obama In Ghana, Slams Kenya And Nigeria by TheSeeker(m): 11:46pm On Jul 15, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Soyinka is usually 99% on point. One of the few Nigerians with any sense.
Nigeria's hopelessness is worsened with the fact that when the truth's told, some people don't want to see the positive side to it and make amends, they'd rather capitalize on the negative effects -- I don't see any negative effects of Obama's visit to Ghana. But Soyinka, is about the most honored man of unmatched integrity Nigeria has ever produced, to buttress that he was the only one CNN interviewed.

(1) (Reply)

God Save My Country Nigeria From All These Criminals / (GANI) A Great Man Gone / Is Bankole Destabilizing Nigeria With His Ego

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.