Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria (43249 Views)

Innoson Withdraws Ex Parte Case Against Gtbank, EFCC / South African Student That Squandered N392m Accidentally Found In Her Account / Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by saintdennis(m): 6:33am On Mar 04, 2016
Blaming pmb and naija for either poor management strategic planning, decision making and implementation...

In other news I don't think we'd mind much, chivita, 5 alive and lots of juice brands dey there.

To those who lost their jobs, wishing u get another one soonest.

They should go! U carry 'retail business' all d way from south Africa come naija. Lol

No country can move forward without industries being established, we don't need importers.

Everybody is shouting pmb...brazils economy has contracted 3.8% (source:CNN). We only have oyel as our main export commodity, wetin u want make pmb do?
Financing the real sector is the key...but first they gotta sanitise naijas markets cos too much foreign content (imported) already.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by blackpanda: 6:35am On Mar 04, 2016
Love Machine:
Our local manufacturers depend on imported raw materials to produce their goods.Nigeria as a whole doesn't have it locally and it will take several years to start making it.The only raw materials we produce here are tomatoes,onions,pepper,Banana,pawpaw,salt and it is due to our fertile land.

Which raw materials are Truworths and Clover bringing into Nigeria Nigerians make clothes and we have our own juice companies. Your analogy doesnt apply to this case. The companies leaving are those that import finished products.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by PRODUTIM1(m): 6:48am On Mar 04, 2016
Leoswaggs:
we supos organise send off party for dem ooo..na only dem waka come na stil only de waka go.
Am seriously gutted by this new development. I worked in a company that had been producing for this Clover on contract since 2010. The owner of d company who is a Lebanese were later approached by Clover to buy the company. Things didn't work out in d end and we were paid off. Almost 200 plus staff are jobless now cos of Clover pull out of the deal.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Teespice(f): 6:55am On Mar 04, 2016
better.
let the withdrawal of their investments pave way for local industries.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by PRODUTIM1(m): 6:58am On Mar 04, 2016
ApexTitan:
Apparently many people here are completely deluded to think that foreign companies closing shop is a good thing.

The truth will dawn on you lot slowly.
Abi nah! I worked in dat company for almost six years. Over 800 people including family members who are taking their daily foods from there. To be sincere, am not really happy with this news

1 Like

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58am On Mar 04, 2016
efilefun:
Another opening for a local investor, time for chivita to rule the market

Some people given birth to yesterday will just come online and post whatever they like, quote me anywhere 90% if not all federal roads available now and major buildings were done by the military, the democratic regimes had been coming to renovate most of them. Tell me which massive project our democratic thieves had constructed that can stand the 3rd mainland bridge constructed by the military. Thou they were not holy but were far better than some clueless ineffectual buffoon who mistakenly got into power

What's this one saying Jonathan built foreign investments Do you even understand urself? For your information this so called company imports all their fruits and materials from southafrica abandoning our local farmers, shoprite should be the next to take a bow, those ones even import banana and other fruits like we don't have them in abundance in naija

In Maiduguri, there is no Shoprite. Banana (the normal type that you know) is imported through Cameroon. It has been so even in the heat of Boko Haram.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by adconline(m): 7:25am On Mar 04, 2016
banki:
Op I see most of your posts show your a bearer of bad news

Itts a good thing that the company that makes juice is leaving

Nigerian companies make juice and they are staying
What a display of congenital idiocy! So Naija companies making juice are going to absorb their disengaged worker?? Are u building a new company to replace them?? Btw, u r going to need foreign xchange buying machinery.. Nigeria is not buying anything locally and internationally.. According to Punch, $20bn is idly sitting in domiciliary account in banks across the country.

1 Like

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by smoothlips(m): 7:29am On Mar 04, 2016
austinsmat:
this man is killing what it takes Jonathan time to build foreign investment
Na waaah oooo....read this your sentence again
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by giles14(m): 7:42am On Mar 04, 2016
lubbish abeg wen Mtn n dstv go all so pack go.
na dem b d main thiefs
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by ebhohon: 7:43am On Mar 04, 2016
More are coming in so report the investment that came in
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 04, 2016
Its time for Nigerian business people to invest and grow the economy, we dont need SA thrash in here, if these companies cant invest in their home countries it simply tells you they have no good intentions here.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by BLACKPANTHER(m): 8:00am On Mar 04, 2016
Those that are against their withdrawal should follow them to Botswana and be drinking juice.....for me I will patronize Chidubem Juice, Lola Bitters and Ahmed Sauce grin
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by usoroh2003: 8:04am On Mar 04, 2016
worksmart:
Good riddance!

True investors stay for the long term and willing to stay steadfast during economic downturns.

There is a saying that you only find out your true friends during your time of need.

Similarly you can tell the real serious investors by how the behave when the economy slows down.

why would'nt dey go, when d r payin their staff, payin taxes, buyin raw materials @ high cost, buyin diesel payin for power etc what is their profit? even if u r dos guys u ll hang off

1 Like

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by lakesidepapa(m): 8:24am On Mar 04, 2016
ipledge10:
So na south Africa get clover grin grin...most useless drink in the world...Nigerianso don't really know how to grow business,and that's why Dangote is mile ahead of 2nd richest in Nigeria...Comovit -C is a better alternative,but the mumu gup that owns it can't distribute outside Osun State

Comovit-C by De shalom can't make wave where the clover and the rest is due to the content inside the drinks. And for your information, There's no place u'll go to in SW that u won't see any De shalom product even their products including mis mag, shalom mag and the rest gets to cameroon, Ghana, ivory coast and togo. I'm sure of what am saying i did my iT there way back 2012..
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by persius555(m): 8:39am On Mar 04, 2016
South african companies are nothing but blood suckers. They want want you to open your economy for them to feast on while they discourage and tighten policies around foreign companies. How can you be importing what we already have and claim you are investing in our economy. All of them are only interested in our petrodollars and that has dried up. Right now, i am grooving my data service courtesy glo cheap data. Who needs these economic vampires anyway. They should find their way to ghana.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by obayaya(m): 9:10am On Mar 04, 2016
Teespice:
better.
let the withdrawal of their investments pave way for local industries.
Which country discourages foreign investments? Only in Nigeria
SMH

2 Likes

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by emonkey(m): 9:19am On Mar 04, 2016
majekdom2:
whatever you have put upthere does not correspond with the argument. The fact that it's a different country does not in anyway make it foreign investment. Now, HP is an American brand but manufactures some of its computer systems in China with china's resources and then exports to other countries generating forex and strengthening china's currency... that's foreign investment. What this company leaving Nigeria does is simply retail. We need to get this clear. When likes of lifemate furnitures leave , some will say we have lost foreign investment but tell me, how many of our own made resources are being used in the production of those furnitures.

That is too simple a way of defining investment. You don't have to set up a factory to be considered an investor. The fact that you consider a country a good place to commit your money/goods in the first instance shows that it has acceptable risks. The fact that you consider that you will do it no more shows that the risks are no more acceptable , and that is the signal all these foreign companies leaving are passing to one another and across the world. The last time this happened in the 80s, many foreign manufacturing companies eventually closed down their factories never to return again. Their facilities were eventually purchased by churches , to be used for producing nothing but noise and more poverty.

OK , now that they have left who pays the salaries of their former employees; how do they now make ends meet ? I am sure people like you will advise that they should go and farm or start their own business; the kind of advice you will resent if presented to you. Let us make sense please.

1 Like

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by owumzy(m): 9:35am On Mar 04, 2016
They are uncomfortable being in Nigeria because there is no more room for corrupt practices as was in the recent past.
Safe journey back to SA.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Teespice(f): 10:04am On Mar 04, 2016
obayaya:

Which country discourages foreign investments? Only in Nigeria
SMH
no be una dey chant buy naija to grow the naira.
I wonder why you are even quoting me sef.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by obayaya(m): 10:10am On Mar 04, 2016
Teespice:

no be una dey chant buy naija to grow the naira.

I wonder why you are even quoting me sef.

So a product produced in Nigeria by a foreign company isn't "Made in Nigeria"?

Why am I quoting you?

lemme think undecided
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by scarred9jan(m): 10:26am On Mar 04, 2016
don4real18:
We will drink Zobo
Lol. Your head dey there.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Teespice(f): 10:46am On Mar 04, 2016
obayaya:

So a product produced in Nigeria by a foreign company isn't "Made in Nigeria"?
Why am I quoting you?
lemme think undecided
keep thinking
smh. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Ogedo(m): 10:47am On Mar 04, 2016
while going pls take mtn and multi choice along. they are defrauding Nigeria.
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 04, 2016
blackpanda:

Which raw materials are Truworths and Clover bringing into Nigeria Nigerians make clothes and we have our own juice companies. Your analogy doesnt apply to this case. The companies leaving are those that import finished products.
The raw materials are source abroad
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by blackpanda: 10:54am On Mar 04, 2016
Love Machine:
The raw materials are source abroad

You see that thing in your skull? My dear, make use of it shocked
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Jessam: 11:26am On Mar 04, 2016
One day local company's such as Jessam Cattle Ranch & Farms will grow to take their place and better serve our dear Nigerians brothers and sisters up and down the nation. Staff at Jessam are busy working on our business plan for retail offering.... wa

Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Origin(f): 2:41pm On Mar 04, 2016
Buy naija Grow naira Use local content
Re: Clover, South-African Company Withdraws From Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 04, 2016
5starmilitant:
*in soccer fans voices* one by one, dem don dey go. cheesy

Which way naija?

Make them de go abeg...their own don too much

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Months After! Fidelity Bank Apologizes To Lady After Calling Them Out Today / Hackers Steal N8m From Osinbajo’s Bank Account / Naira Now Undervalued After Float, Bank Of America Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.