Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,008 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? (15328 Views)

How Do You Receive Funds From Google/youtube ? / Ghanaian Teen Develops A Search Engine That Can Rival Google's Youtube / Why Facebook Live Video Streaming Service Is Dark On Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Kgdavid(m): 10:25am On Mar 05, 2016
bettercreature:
I was reading on CNN few minutes ago that uk government will increased facebook and google taxes and germany will soon do the same,i'm just wondering why these companies are not paying taxes in Nigeria whereas they pay heavy taxes in other countries

In just wondering, how exactly would you know for sure if these companies are paying tax in Nigeria or not?
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by saasala(m): 10:26am On Mar 05, 2016
Acidosis:
Is Linda Ikeji paying taxes to the UK government? Germany? US? And every other nation of the world?

Lol

Should SEUN pay taxes to the UK government since many Nigerian in the UK surf Nairaland ? Even when SEUN GOT NO office in the UK?

Best answer
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 10:37am On Mar 05, 2016
iAmCharis:
YouTube has offices in Lagos and Abuja
Google has an office in Lagos.

In that case, YouTube and Google are meeting their tax obligations. I'm sure they paid omo oniles and touts as well.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Rimimafia: 10:48am On Mar 05, 2016
Google pays taxes in Nigeria.
I know the firm that audits them and I can confirm they pay their taxes.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by snailspeed: 11:59am On Mar 05, 2016
DollyB:
That's a lie. My brother Google has an office in Lagos....make your findings abeg!

Actually, that is not a Google office. They are agents who represent Google and quite frankly, they are useless as I have dealt with them before and they offer nothing. So Google does not have an office in Nigeria
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by don4real18(m): 12:02pm On Mar 05, 2016
DollyB:
That's a lie. My brother Google has an office in Lagos....make your findings abeg!
And who told you that Google's office in Nig don't pay tax
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by fxstory(m): 12:17pm On Mar 05, 2016
as long as they have an office in nigeria, they are paying tax. Google for sure pays tax
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Mar 05, 2016
akinszz:
Hope u no go die of buharism.
ApC zombies grin
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 05, 2016
slavemerchant:

Wish I can buy you a brain
No, buy 1 4 ur self ,1 4 buhari and 1 for ur future wife.... grin
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 05, 2016
[quote author=adebayo201 post=43492421][/quote] e pain u grin
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by nopretense: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2016
the reason is nt far-fetched. They don't have any landed property in Nigeria; they're runnin an online affair. If anyone is to pay at all, it shld b Nigerian Govt cos of d services they r enjoying...
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by akinszz: 2:39pm On Mar 05, 2016
I don't give a damn about apc. U heard flatiino.
JESUSBOIY:
ApC zombies grin
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2016
mccoy47:
Maybe its cuz they do not have offices here in Nigeria.
I stand to be corrected but has anyone seen a building in Nigeria that houses Facebook office?
cc: spikesC

@bettercreature
Google also own Youtube, they're one and the same. Actually, they have many other subsidiaries. Google pay tax, they're physically based here in Nigeria. For facebook I'm not sure, but the Nigerian regulators can get them start paying taxes or shut them down in Nigeria.

This's a water bottle from google office here in Lagos.

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by DollyB(m): 3:32pm On Mar 05, 2016
don4real18:

And who told you that Google's office in Nig don't pay tax
U don't understand my standing.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 05, 2016
spikesC:
They do not have companies in Nigeria but do in those countries.

Google is in Nigeria and they are taxed.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2016
akinszz:
I don't give a damn about apc. U heard flatiino.
e pain u like dis? shocked
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by matrixme(m): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2016
aribisala0:
Not true and that is the basis for the ignorant agitation for moving headquarters of companies away from Lagos. In Nigeria companies pay company tax to the FG regardless of where they have their headquarters but people ofte mislead others about this and ow this idea has been taken international. It is wrong.
Companies that operate in Nigeria will normally pay based on declared earnings. I do not believe these companies earn much IN NIGERIA
So how exactly does the government know the total declared earnings of Google Nigeria? or if exactly they are being truthful?
What is to stop them from doing a business and demand their clients to pay to their overseas account? These oyinbos are very crafty o. I'm sure Google Nigeria did not open an office to count how many people use Gmail in the country.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 6:12pm On Mar 05, 2016
matrixme:

So how exactly does the government know the total declared earnings of Google Nigeria? or if exactly they are being truthful?
What is to stop them from doing a business and demand their clients to pay to their overseas account? These oyinbos are very crafty o. I'm sure Google Nigeria did not open an office to count how many people use Gmail in the country.
Good question.
What effective countries do is allow some freedom of self reporting, also monitor and impose hefty MTN style fines when anyone is caught lying and that serves often as a deterrent but not always
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by betaessays: 12:14am On Apr 22, 2016
Google surely has an office in Nigeria. And they should be fined accordingly as the law stipulates. http://articlesng.com/taxation-nigeria-origin-importance-taxation-nigeria/
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 1:24pm On Aug 08, 2019
[quote author=Jwhizzy post=43496066]Interesting question OP.

For a foreign company to pay tax in Nigeria, it must be earning either active income or passive income in Nigeria, and even then, it may not be liable to Nigerian tax.

Passive income includes dividends, interests, royalties, etc. These kind you can earn even if you don't come into Nigeria for a day. On these types of income, the company pays what is called withholding tax at 10% (or 7.5% if the company is in a country with which Nigeria has what is called a double tax treaty). The withholding tax on passive income is the final tax the company is liable to on these incomes.

For active income which is income from business/trading, the company must have what is referred to in Nigerian tax law as a fixed base or in the double tax treaties as a permanent establishment. A fixed base is defined as a fixed place of business. If it doesn't have a fixed base, it must have a dependent agent authorised to conclude contracts on its behalf. There but

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Monthly Income Of Web Designers / Developers In Nigeria / Which Is Better To Start In 2022: Blogging Or Youtube / Gsm Number Generator Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.