Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,758 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure (1500 Views)

World Bank Faults Nigeria’s Economic Recovery Plan / ''nigeria’s Population Can’t Be 170 Million" - Statistician General / #false Population Figure Is Also Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Abagworo(m): 1:34pm On Mar 04, 2016
Nigeria’s estimated 170 million population figure is
incorrect, according to Statistician-General of the
Federation, Dr. Yemi Kale.
Speaking in Abuja at the official launch of Enhanced
General Data Dissemination System (e-GDDS), Kale
said the estimates were speculations, adding that the
nation’s population may be less.
According to him, capturing of the population figures
based on three per cent growth rate since 2006 was
faulty, arguing that the nation was not static but
dynamic.
He stressed further that rather marrying early, many
women now opt for western education.
Kale noted that census figures may have been
inflated in some quarters in the past, giving the
impression that more population of humans resides
in certain areas.
“I believe that those who say that Nigeria has a
population of 170 million are wrong. This is because,
you cannot continue to use the three per cent growth
rate used since 2006 to calculate the current
population. So, you cannot say accurately that
Nigeria’s population is 170 million or more. Certain
cultures like early marriage, which used to be the
norm, are now changing. Women are now embracing
western education more than they did years ago.
That is also a factor to consider.
“What used to happen is that some people gave
wrong census of their population in order to create
the impression that they are more in number. So,
these contributed to the higher number bandied
around often. So, with this, you can see that the
nation’s population cannot have reached 170 million
in the real sense,” he clarified.
Speaking on the newly launched National Summary
Data Page (NSDP), Kale said that the bureau, through
collaboration with the International Monetary Fund
(IMF), Ministry of Finance, office of the Accountant-
General of the Federation and the Central Bank of
Nigeria (CBN), is to host general data information
bank on all aspects of the economy.
The aim, he said, was to make information about any
aspect of the country available to both local and
international users through open data platform on
the NBS website.
The Statistician-General also stressed that publication
of essential macroeconomic data would be published
on the NSDP to provide national policy makers,
investors, domestic and international stakeholders
access to information that would enhance the
economy as well as improve access to timely data on
Nigeria.
He added that the new system would encourage
transparency and improve statistical development in
the country.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/statistician-general-faults-nigerias-touted-170m-population-figure/

3 Likes

Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by surestakes: 1:35pm On Mar 04, 2016
How many we come be? undecided

1 Like

Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Destined2win: 1:37pm On Mar 04, 2016
Does that mean that the people that I am going to lead over are above 200m?
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by sorextee(m): 1:37pm On Mar 04, 2016
i beieve we are more than 500 million in this country alone. abuja, lagos and kano hold up alone sef, is enough reason. im not sure if they count those in the millitary. nigerians plenty outside well well.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by agabaI23(m): 1:49pm On Mar 04, 2016
Kwankwaso should call for the sack of this man...

3 Likes

Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by rusher14: 1:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
By far less.

Card readers gave an insight into our often overblown figures.

Something in the region of 80 million makes sense.

1 Like

Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by SUPERPACK: 2:00pm On Mar 04, 2016
rusher14:
By far less.

you are wrong the use of card reader just started, many people where nt captured at least me and my 6 brothers and sisters, what of GEJ the card reader refuse to recognise, plus the fact that some people are denied their voting right because they are 17 years at the time of registration, meaning they will start at 21 years instead of 18.
Over 75 million PVC were registered in total during the election and many youths could nt register, plus those below the age of 18 are nt accounted for which is about 50 million, plus the elderly and old who could nt stand in line or wait for the registration,

https://www.naij.com/383429-inec-chairman-revealed-pvc-distribution-figures.html.
nigeria to me is over 170 million.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Abagworo(m): 3:21pm On Mar 04, 2016
rusher14:
By far less.

That's my belief. However the conspiracy goes beyond Nigeria and will never be corrected. The most that can be done is to inflate the population proportionately in reflection of actual ratio.

4 Likes

Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by HopeAtHand: 3:34pm On Mar 04, 2016
Abagworo:

That's my belief. However the conspiracy goes beyond Nigeria and will never be corrected. The most that can be done is to inflate the population proportionately in reflection of actual ratio.

Ijaw alone is 14million. grin cheesy cheesy

cc.. coolscott.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Abagworo(m): 4:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Ijaw alone is 14million. grin cheesy cheesy
cc.. coolscott.
Na u talk am. Kano is 20million. grin grin grin
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Newsi: 4:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
Abagworo:
Nigeria’s estimated 170 million population figure is
incorrect, according to Statistician-General of the
Federation, Dr. Yemi Kale.
Speaking in Abuja at the official launch of Enhanced
General Data Dissemination System (e-GDDS), Kale
said the estimates were speculations, adding that the
nation’s population may be less.
According to him, capturing of the population figures
based on three per cent growth rate since 2006 was
faulty, arguing that the nation was not static but
dynamic.
He stressed further that rather marrying early, many
women now opt for western education.
Kale noted that census figures may have been
inflated in some quarters in the past, giving the
impression that more population of humans resides
in certain areas.
“I believe that those who say that Nigeria has a
population of 170 million are wrong. This is because,
you cannot continue to use the three per cent growth
rate used since 2006 to calculate the current
population. So, you cannot say accurately that
Nigeria’s population is 170 million or more. Certain
cultures like early marriage, which used to be the
norm, are now changing. Women are now embracing
western education more than they did years ago.
That is also a factor to consider.
“What used to happen is that some people gave
wrong census of their population in order to create
the impression that they are more in number. So,
these contributed to the higher number bandied
around often. So, with this, you can see that the
nation’s population cannot have reached 170 million
in the real sense,” he clarified.
Speaking on the newly launched National Summary
Data Page (NSDP), Kale said that the bureau, through
collaboration with the International Monetary Fund
(IMF), Ministry of Finance, office of the Accountant-
General of the Federation and the Central Bank of
Nigeria (CBN), is to host general data information
bank on all aspects of the economy.
The aim, he said, was to make information about any
aspect of the country available to both local and
international users through open data platform on
the NBS website.
The Statistician-General also stressed that publication
of essential macroeconomic data would be published
on the NSDP to provide national policy makers,
investors, domestic and international stakeholders
access to information that would enhance the
economy as well as improve access to timely data on
Nigeria.
He added that the new system would encourage
transparency and improve statistical development in
the country.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/statistician-general-faults-nigerias-touted-170m-population-figure/
Yes o! Correct man! We know those regions that count cattle and rams as humans.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2016
Whether it's true or not I still use the 200million figure.
It would give me an excuse to fall back on why our country is no less a zoo. Why after 16+ years of democracy constant electricity is still a pipe-dream. Why fuel is always scarce in an oil producing nation. Why the few jobs available are out of reach for the common folk but there is ever-growing manpower of youth-age individuals willing to hold guns, type down e-lies and fight physically to retain the same old men who cannot update themselves on technology as their years of rule go by.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Newsi: 4:52pm On Mar 04, 2016
sorextee:
i beieve we are more than 500 million in this country alone. abuja, lagos and kano hold up alone sef, is enough reason. im not sure if they count those in the millitary. nigerians plenty outside well well.
Are you OK? 500 million? Do you know what a million is? The US is not even up to 320 million not to talk of 350, 400 or 500. How much more Nigeria? True be told, there are less than 179 million people in this country.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Newsi: 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2016
SUPERPACK:

you are wrong the use of card reader just started, many people where nt captured at least me and my 6 brothers and sisters, what of GEJ the card reader refuse to recognise, plus the fact that some people are denied their voting right because they are 17 years at the time of registration, meaning they will start at 21 years instead of 18.
Over 75 million PVC were registered in total during the election and many youths could nt register, plus those below the age of 18 are nt accounted for which is about 50 million, plus the elderly and old who could nt stand in line or wait for the registration,

https://www.naij.com/383429-inec-chairman-revealed-pvc-distribution-figures.html.
nigeria to me is over 170 million.
Have you forgotten that many underage voters also collected their PVCs? There were many cases of children as young as 12 and 10 years old being issued PVCs in the north. Nigeria's population is clearly bloated.
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by SUPERPACK: 5:26pm On Mar 04, 2016
Newsi:
Have you forgotten that many underage voters also collected their PVCs? There were many cases of children as young as 12 and 10 years old being issued PVCs in the north. Nigeria's population is clearly bloated.
are they upto 2 million underage voters,
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Kenai: 5:33pm On Mar 04, 2016
Abagworo:

On the contrary, I think those days are coming to an end with the fall in crude oil price. Inflation of population figures skyrocketed when the constitution began to favour the more populous states in terms of sharing formula. Suddenly, it became cool for states like Kano to brandish their general societal irresponsibility and lack of family planning as a phallic symbol for more crude rents.
Now, with cleaner energy alternatives and the drop in oil price, it is dawning on many that, in the 21st century, your prosperity will not be determined by how many p*ssies you can cream-pie per second, but by the SKILL of your populace.
You shall discover Nigeria's TRUE population when crude oil dies.

3 Likes

Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by naijaking1: 5:47pm On Mar 04, 2016
agabaI23:
Kwankwaso should call for the sack of this man...

No be only him, all those criminal politicians padding and forging census figures for years are in for a surprise
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by tuniski: 8:20pm On Mar 04, 2016
sorextee:
We are more than 200m QED
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Pennsylvania: 8:31pm On Mar 04, 2016
Lagos alone is almost 70million undecided
Re: Statistician-general Faults Nigeria’s Touted 170m Population Figure by Tinubutoto: 8:49pm On Mar 04, 2016
my thought all ds yrs, I worked as NPC staff then and I know how figures were increased in both north and south. the only area I can exempt is d western Nigeria, d rest areas increased der figure.

(1) (Reply)

Generator Found In The Nigeria'a Coat Of Arms / Tinubu As Lagos State Governor Was The First To Pass Pension For Governors / The Worst Government In The History Of Nigeria (1), By Femi Aribisala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.