Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? (2242 Views)

Top 4 Most Affordable Areas To Live In The Lagos Mainland / Construction Of Onikan Multi-storey Car Park Trailed By Controversy / Prices Of Apartments Of The Lagos State Housing Mortgage Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by akinejame: 3:51pm On Mar 04, 2016
Please forgive my typo o abeg.
I just got a new job on the island (started on Tuesday, March 1st) and due to the huge traffic going back to the mainland, I decided to chill somewhere to while away time. So I decided to visit a mall to watch a movie. The first mall that came to my mind was The Palms mall at Lekki. I was on my way to The Palms when I drove past Lagos City Mall in Onikan. Honestly, I had totally forgotten that such a mall existed. The last time I visited this mall was 4 years ago – to meet with someone. My ex-babe hated the mall that time ehn. I didn’t really understand why. Ok, I decided to try the mall since it was close-by.
While the movie I wanted to watch wasn’t showing at the time I got there (Genesis Deluxe Cinemas), I must say that they have really stepped up. I think Genesis Deluxe Cinemas coming over to the Lagos City Mall has added some ‘life’ to the place. Anyways, that’s how they said movie ticket costs N600 on Mondays. Immediately, I erased The Palms off my mind. But there was a problem. It was SCANTY! I started wondering if there was something about the place that I wasn’t aware of. My people help me o. Is there a problem with Lagos City Mall? Because I’m going there today!
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by lucarella: 4:03pm On Mar 04, 2016
Mschew! Does that place still exist? Not been there in ages. Lemme leave road for others who have been there to comment
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by OgidiOlu3(m): 4:08pm On Mar 04, 2016
The last time I was there was in December last year. I went to their KFC with a friend. It didn't look scanty then though, maybe it was because it was Christmas period.
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by kunnadej: 4:17pm On Mar 04, 2016
Haba! City Mall that has fully re-branded? I like the mall oo. What is the Palms? Their movie cost is cheap compared to all these other Silverbird Galleria Malls and the rest. grin
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by Tequilah: 12:33pm On Mar 05, 2016
City Mall's problem is that there are too few shops within the complex, that cater to mass market tastes and pockets. Apart from KFC and Goodies, most of the other shops there sell items with high price tags that cannot even justify their value. sad

Unlike other complexes like Ikeja Shopping Mall, Shoprite in Lekki etc, where there is something available in every price range for all ages and tastes, City Mall falls short in this area. And it is constantly reviewing its rent upwards every year, with the result that most shop owners pack out each time there is a rent increase. A shop might have built a loyal clientelle with good patronage that visits the mall, but by the following year when rents go up, such a shop owner would leave the premises, taking their clients with them. sad

Another thing that has a negative effect on the influx of visitors to City Mall is the location of the VIO/Traffic unit across the road, not far from the Mall. The officers there are wicked. angry They impound cars on that road anyhow, for real and imaginary offences and then take the motorist to their office before compelling him to pay fines ranging from 50,000 naira to 250,000 naira. No be joke, o! sad According to them, they were given a target by the state govt., which must be met by hook or by crook. Anyway, these extortionists are fond of locating themselves on the Onikan road leading to the Mall, and any motorist that falls into their trap for the day is doomed.

If you are unable to cough up their 'fee', your car sleeps in their yard overnight. Every night your vehicle stays there is 10,000 naira. Now, who in his right senses, that has had a taste of their wicked antics would like to still visit the City Mall, when there is a high probability that he might run into these extortionists in uniform?? angry
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by lucarella: 11:54am On Mar 06, 2016
Tequilah:
City Mall's problem is that there are too few shops within the complex, that cater to mass market tastes and pockets. Apart from KFC and Goodies, most of the other shops there sell items with high price tags that cannot even justify their value. sad

Unlike other complexes like Ikeja Shopping Mall, Shoprite in Lekki etc, where there is something available in every price range for all ages and tastes, City Mall falls short in this area. And it is constantly reviewing its rent upwards every year, with the result that most shop owners pack out each time there is a rent increase. A shop might have built a loyal clientelle with good patronage that visits the mall, but by the following year when rents go up, such a shop owner would leave the premises, taking their clients with them. sad

Another thing that has a negative effect on the influx of visitors to City Mall is the location of the VIO/Traffic unit across the road, not far from the Mall. The officers there are wicked. angry [b]They impound cars on that road anyhow, for real and imaginary offences and then take the motorist to their office before compelling him to pay fines ranging from 50,000 naira to 250,000 naira. No be joke, o! sad According to them, they were given a target by the state govt., which must be met by hook or by crook. Anyway, these extortionists are fond of locating themselves on the Onikan road leading to the Mall, and any motorist that falls into their trap for the day is doomed. [/b]

If you are unable to cough up their 'fee', your car sleeps in their yard overnight. Every night your vehicle stays there is 10,000 naira. Now, who in his right senses, that has had a taste of their wicked antics would like to still visit the City Mall, when there is a high probability that he might run into these extortionists in uniform?? angry

shocked shocked shocked shocked Oh wow! Are you serious?? You know I've never thought of that. Thanks. I hope City Mall is listening.
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by kunnadej: 9:49pm On Mar 06, 2016
Tequilah:

Another thing that has a negative effect on the influx of visitors to City Mall is the location of the VIO/Traffic unit across the road, not far from the Mall. The officers there are wicked. angry They impound cars on that road anyhow, for real and imaginary offences and then take the motorist to their office before compelling him to pay fines ranging from 50,000 naira to 250,000 naira. No be joke, o! sad According to them, they were given a target by the state govt., which must be met by hook or by crook. Anyway, these extortionists are fond of locating themselves on the Onikan road leading to the Mall, and any motorist that falls into their trap for the day is doomed.

But there is no problem if your papers are complete ba?
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by kunnadej: 10:31pm On Mar 06, 2016
Tequilah:

But you have no problem when all your papers are complete ba?
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by Shaheedot1: 10:03am On Mar 10, 2016
[sup][/sup] Lagos City Mall have totally rebranded, i mean the mall is presently experiencing a change of image. The mall has upgraded its ambience, facilities and support services and this is evidenced with new partnership with TVC and host of other brands in the entertainment and social buzz line. The mall now has new tenant: Lachae Cosmetics (US based brand), Genesis Deluxe Cinemas, Ace Olivia Event (An upscale event hall that can seat up to 500 audience), Terminal 3 (A new brand in food court business), Kiddies Wearhouse, Beaudaeze Trendy, Rosebud ISL, Zack & Angie, Grosvenor Shirts, Kebeth Dali Beauty and Spar. Airtel wifi now runs in the mall and the car park area will soon wear a new look. Lagos City Mall is back and ready to compete in the midst of the best shopping malls in Lagos. grin wink smiley

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by laudate: 2:31pm On Mar 12, 2016
kunnadej:

Even when your papers are complete, those "extortionists in uniform" (as Tequilah called them) in Lagos State, will still find something 'incomplete' inside them. angry It reminds me of the day when one of them told me that my CMR paper was fake. I told him to stop any motorist on the road, and show me what an original CMR paper looks like. shocked After arguing for 2 hours, he could not do so and gave up. Can your papers ever be complete in a city like Lagos?
Re: Please What Is Wrong With The Lagos City Mall Onikan? by Tequilah: 2:42pm On Mar 12, 2016
kunnadej:

Guy, those VIO/Traffic Wardens opposite City Mall, do not understand the word "complete.". Oya, if you doubt me, just drive down that road and fall into their trap. Then produce all your so-called complete papers, and see if they would let you go free. undecided They will just concoct one imaginary offence against you sharp-sharp, that has nothing to do with how complete your papers are, and then book your vehicle into their office. They have 3 towing vans round the corner, ever ready to do their bidding.

Don't say I did not warn you! sad

(1) (Reply)

CEDARWOOD BOULEVARD IS AN ESTATE CLOSE TO ARTICAN BEACH / 10 plots of land available for sale at Igwuruta, Port Harcourt (Virgin land) / Miniflat To Let At Mende Maryland= Rent-250k P.a For 1yr Or 2yrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.