Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? (2929 Views)

Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down / Bride Price: Man Slams African Parents, Says "I'm Not Paying" / Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by SomaliGuy7(m): 8:13am On Mar 05, 2016
I'm Somali, my people are a semetic people (no we are not " mixed with arabs or whites" or anyone else).
We have our own unique culture/our ancestors were not slaves and we consider ourselves our own race, and mean no disrespect when we say we aren't black but blacks tend to think we're in denial or insulting them. Why do blacks insist on saying I am black? undecided

Please stop blocking the Somali brothers.
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 05, 2016
SomaliGuy7:
I'm Somali, my people are a semetic people (no we are not " mixed with arabs or whites" or anyone else).
We have our own unique culture/our ancestors were not slaves and we consider ourselves our own race, and mean no disrespect when we say we aren't black but blacks tend to think we're in denial or insulting them. Why do blacks insist on saying I am black? undecided

Somalis are Cushites, not semites. You are in the same group with Oromos, (cushites are a huge group of tall, skinny and curly haired tribes, one of which is Somali.) Oromos are some of the blackest Africans. There are also some black somalis. Only Nilotes compete with them in colour.

Somali elders

(Unless if by black you mean something else.)
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by hisgrace090: 8:44am On Mar 05, 2016
The black tag to me is simple a thing of colour one is either black or white, for instance the Egyptiance can not be said to be blacks because such colour is not on them. I'm black and I'm proud of that and will hap illy refer to a man white in colour as white no matter the continent he came from.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by SomaliGuy7(m): 8:49am On Mar 05, 2016
Muafrika2:

Somalis are Cushites, not semites. You are in the same group with Oromos, (cushites are a huge group of tall, skinny and curly haired tribes, one of which is Somali.) Oromos are some of the blackest Africans. There are also some black somalis. Only Nilotes compete with them in colour.

Somali elders

(Unless if by black you mean something else.)

Yeah we are cushitic race. Both semites and cushites come from the same Afro Asiatic race.

And by Black i meant is like having black feathers. We somalis look very different from other West Africans.
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 05, 2016
SomaliGuy7:

Yeah we are cushitic race. Both semites and cushites come from the same Afro Asiatic race.

And by Black i meant is like having black feathers. We somalis look very different from other West Africans.

You may look different from other tribes (in fact, all African tribes have features unique only to them,)
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by RichYoungNigger(m): 10:42am On Mar 10, 2016
SomaliGuy7:

What are you ??
White ??
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 10, 2016
First of all Semitic is not a race, nor is Afro-Asiatic. These are language families with Semitic being a branch amongst Afro-Asiatic languages. E.g we speak hausa, Chadic branch amongst the Afro-Asiatic language family. But we're still part of the black race, we are black and proud. So what exactly is your point?

Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by QueenEthiopian(f): 12:16pm On Mar 10, 2016
I'm Ethiopian, that's exactly what is on my mind. I don't know to be honest.

Maybe the blacks want us horn of Africans to be "black" because without us (Ethio, Somali, Eritean) the BLACKS only had history of slavery.

And when they say Africa is a diverse continent, they mean us (horn of africans) because other BLACKS they all look the same.
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 10, 2016
SomaliGuy7:

And vikings, Anglo saxons, celts, Scots, normans etc all have unique features but they're all classified as white. You may not be fully under the phenotypical description of a negroid but you're politically black whether you like it or not. Recently I saw a headline that hillary Clinton was visiting a black community and the community in question was that of Somali Americans, I laughed because all I could remember is damaged trolls like you and your hilarious rants.
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 10, 2016
QueenEthiopian:
I'm Ethiopian, that's exactly what is on my mind. I don't know to be honest.

Maybe the blacks want us horn of Africans to be "black" because without us (Ethio, Somali, Eritean) the BLACKS only had history of slavery.

And when they say Africa is a diverse continent, they mean us (horn of africans) because other BLACKS they all look the same.

Wtf are is wrong with you people. I can honestly say that my people never had a history of being enslaved, in fact when we had contact with whites they outlawed slavery in our lands, as the caliphate consisted of atleast 30 percent slaves. This was in 1930 something. Yet we have no problem classifying ourselves as Black. You are free to call yourselves whatever you want, but you must accept that black is all others see when they look at you, and there's nothing wrong with that. You may choose to continue deluding yourselves if you want.
Re: I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 10, 2016
We don't care... move on with your life.

SomaliGuy7:

(1) (Reply)

Moving Objects In Your Body / Can Anyone In The House Teach Me Agbor Language,delta State / Nollywood Stars Spotted At Aro-okigbo Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.