Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,304 members, 7,864,462 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:38 PM

Are African Youths as exemplified on Niraland Deserving of future Power? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are African Youths as exemplified on Niraland Deserving of future Power? (398 Views)

El-rufai Stoned By Angry Youths As Crisis Breaks Out In Part Of Kaduna / El-rufai Stoned By Angry Youths As Crisis Breaks Out In Part Of Kaduna / El-rufai Appoints Two Youths As His Special Advisers (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are African Youths as exemplified on Niraland Deserving of future Power? by Litmus: 6:51pm On Mar 05, 2016
I ask because there is such clamor for young people to be given political power in African nations. The argument goes that for too long, Africa has been ruled by old, corrupt shortsighted men that are motivated mostly by greed. They stoke the embers of tribalism to keep themselves in power and in worst cases cause the deaths of their citizens.

Now, given the apparent nature of some of the people that post on political issues on Niraland ( assuming they are young) do they deserve political power?

The characteristic of the majority of apparent young persons posting on Niraland.

They hate individuals not of their tribe.

They hate the police and Military.

They celebrate wrong doing, giving the impression that it is a response to political injustice.

When there is ethnic violence, they encourage more of it and advocate that the combatants kill as much people as possible in the hope that it will result in more killing and war.

They like to post images of death and destruction, amputated limbs, burnt bodies, and seem to glory in these images.

They lack creative vision. Their idea on how to develop a Nation is to divide it.

They hate those that are creative and are quick to find something negative in the progressive things that others attempt unless the creative person belongs to their tribe or is a white or Asian person.

The average young poster on political matters currently is the personification of the devil not human. Are these the people that the Western world keep harping on should be the leaders of Africa?
Re: Are African Youths as exemplified on Niraland Deserving of future Power? by MansaMoussa: 8:18pm On Mar 05, 2016
Fact: 90% of the best threads on NL don't make it to FP and I wont be surprised if this thread dies.
However, like every wiseman who recognises a good topic of discuss, I'll drop my opinion on your question.
I disagree to a large extent with some of your points even though we find common ground on others!

The Nigerian Youth is long overdue for political leadership in Nigeria, provided the old ones stay clear and let him/her work without undue interference.
I will take on each of the characteristics of the Nigerian youth you mentioned one by one :

1. "They Hate Individuals of there tribes.." Hate is not spontaneously generated, it is a product of so many vices which if left unchecked, naturally will breed hate. Eg. The Antecedents of the Fulanis have earned a spot as the No.1 most hated ethnic group in nigeria even though a fulani as the president of the country commands good fervour among the entire populace(as evidenced by his election). This shows that our hatred is not purposeless. Also, the Govts of some European countries like Hungary, Macedonia, Serbia, etc road into power on ultra-leftist campaign hinged on hatred for immigrants, gypsies, minorities, homophobia etc and yet their electorates did not disqualify them on such basis.
Hatred for other tribes is everywhere ( Europeans hate gypsies, Turks hate Kurds, Ukrainians hate ethnic Russians, Whites hate blacks etc), so we are justified in our hatred for others who do not share our mainstream thoughts and ideals. It's merely natural.

2. "We Hate the Military and Police:"- the Epitome of youth is Liberalism and every Liberal Movement hates forces of Oppression.. Tiananmen square, Arab Spring, Colorado, Thailand,etc what is thereto like about a force of Occupation? A Military and Police that is against her people can NEVER be loved by them, most especially the youth who receive the beatings, Teargas, torture etc that accompanies any uprising...however, we tolerate those who support our cause...eg the Velvet revolution, the tunisian uprising etc saw the youth hailing the nobility of securities who refused to fire on their people.. give me that scenario in Nigeria, and lemme see the youth that will detest the military and Police. But as long as IPOB killing, Zaria massacres, Army against civilians daily, etc continue, I as a person can NEVER like them.

3. They Celebrate wrongdoing as response to Political injustice: that is not a Nigerian problem sir, but a global one.. when the Greeks converged on Athens vandalising all in the path and making a war zone out of the streets of Athens, did they not get rewarded by a Youthful president? Did Buhari not terminate a civilian govt (wrongdoing) in response to perceived political injustice by the shagari regime? Did he jot make treasonable comments leading to the death of Corp members in the aftermath of his loss in 2011(as response to political injustice) . Should we thank our oppressors?
Should I ask the Agatus to send tribute to the fulani for massacring 400 of their own?

4 and 5 should be answered by the comment above.

6. "They live images of dead bodies, etc" . From the Arenas of Rome to the sets of Hollywood, humans have always lived blood and gore. The Internet is awash with such images and I don't think Nigerian youth alone glorify them..moreover, most of the reactions to such pix are those of digust!

7. "They lack creative vision,there idea to create the nation is to divide it"- Please who are the people that have consistently refused to renegotiate the corporate existence of the country? Who are the people that will not permit any progressive restructuring of the country? Who are the people who vote against any bill that seeks to drive us forward as a nation?

8.We have always been proud of our own Sir, from the Innosons, to our Musicians, Actors and actresses, Jumokes, Nigerians who make us proud abroad, etc..i see Nigerians heaping praises on them on NL daily.so I don't know where u saw this one.

If the youth you are talking about are Northern Muslim Youth, I may agree....but for all othrrs, I beg to differ. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

{BREAKING NEWS} Ben Carson Just Endorsed Donald Trump For President / Presidency Denies Cancelling Osinbajo Indian Trip Because Of Saraki / Tompolo Seeks Change Of Judge In N45.9bn Fraud Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.