Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! (1013 Views)

Career Thoughts/decision. Please Help! / What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? / I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by ezeonlinebiz(m): 12:13am On Mar 06, 2016
My fellow Nairalanders,

Please I need your help in selecting/choosing a better job out of two.

I'm a ND holder (supposed I.T student) and I was just introduced into Freelancing at Upwork by a friend.

I sent proposals to 4 clients/employers and got invited for interview and 1 week testing by 2. At the end of the 1 week testing (I almost die believe me), here are what I observed.

The First pays almost thrice the amount of the second. But the problem is
1) He wants us to do skype call and Airtel is not helping matters at all. Always breaks off and it pisses the guy off every time it does that. He wants me to look for a stronger and reliable ISP. (But na money oo). That's not all sha read on to know what vexes me the most.
2) He wants me to follow the company's official time - 11 AM - 7PM SF Time which is 8 PM to 4 AM our time. Honestly, I can't be awake that long and deprive myself of needed sleep. Even if I sleep during day time, I can't control that of the night. And you know what sleep deprivation can do to a person.
3) He's not kind, always demanding and unconcerned about your situation - I discovered these during the 1 week testing period. He dosen't care if you are tired or not. He just wants you to do his job. He keeps monitoring me minute by minute as if I'm writing a Harvard final year exam paper.

When I asked him if I could work at my convenience, he said NO that it's the company's policy. And that they want me online all through. The funny fact is that even after the official company time, he still bugs me. I even started thinking if he doesn't sleep at all.

On the other hand, the second client is really cool and understanding. Although he pays 2 times less of what the first is paying, he allows me to work at my convenience. He's supportive and encourages me to take a break if I get tired. No skype call just chat.

So I really don't know what to do. I'm still very young (21 years) and they (the two clients) want to know if I can still continue the job. They want me to give the final verdict on Tuesday. I can't handle the two jobs at the same time.

The pay of the first is really lucrative ($500/month) but full of tension and sleeplessness but the second ($200) but allows me to do everything the way I want done, no excessive motoring and he's fully understanding and kind.

Please help a struggling nairalander. Give me your honest opinions and please don't spew trash on me.

Which should I choose and Why.

Thanks and God bless you as you do.
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by An0nimus: 7:27pm On Mar 06, 2016
Ezebizonline

It's a hard one but I'll pick the second guy. Since it's upwork and it looks like you're pretty good at what you do, you'll meet more clients as time goes by.

Impressive thing you have going for you by the way. You are blessed I must confess.

Victor101, you have something to say?
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by ezeonlinebiz(m): 11:22pm On Mar 08, 2016
Thank you very much Sir.
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by Moyarh(m): 2:07am On Mar 09, 2016
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by Moyarh(m): 2:09am On Mar 09, 2016
Congrats on the two gigs bro .
That first boss tho grin

Ive done freelance jobs before, and i think money shouldnt always motivate you. Think of it, imagine u take tht gig of $500, and aftr a month u burn out, or even fall sick, mind you, your body will hv a really hard time adjusting to the new sleep pattern, and most of your days will be useless since you'd be tired...

Now also imagine you take that $200 gig. You'd build a relationship with your boss, get more jobs (like the poster above said) , work at ur own pace, develop more skills, get more referrals, have a "life", have enough time to chase other gigs that you can juggle... + alot more. In the end, after a few months you'd be better at what you do, you'd have gained more skills, you'd have built a reputation and if you're consistent, you'd likely be making alot more than that $500.

So bros, think long term, and i advice you not to be clouded by the 500 bucks cos tht guy sounds like some1 you'd b selling your soul to.

In the end, whatever works for you is what wins.
I hope this helps tho...
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by ahmtech93(m): 5:24am On Mar 09, 2016
I will prefer you choose d 2nd job to d 1st one.
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by lordally(m): 12:56pm On Jul 23, 2018
Hello EZE how far how did it go??
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by odeh1(m): 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2018
Eze please Call Me on this number let us talk 07038582690 tanks
Re: I'm In A Very Serious Job Decision - Please Help!!! by Kwenty: 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2018
Dear everything is not about big money. You need to be alive and healthy to enjoy the fruit of your labour so better go with the second guy since he is considerate and supportive.
Once you know your onion on the job, I believe better days are ahead for you.

(1) (Reply)

Part-time Job Avaliable / 75 Mechanical Engineering Quotes / Contact For Your Structural Design + Detailing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.