Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,860 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU (7458 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:49am On Mar 06, 2016
FUTMINNA VS LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY

[size=14pt]WELCOME![/size]

We are now in the quarter stage finals of NISD, third edition.

Thus far, for me, it has been quite an enlightening ride, and I trust it has been that and much more for you.

This edition started with 25 schools contending, and then it moved all the way down to 16 schools (elimination stage) and now, we have 8 schools standing tall for the quarter finals -- this stage will in turn also pave way to 4 schools for the next stage of the competition.

If you ask me what I think about the competition at this point, I'll say, indeed, as the race gets more interesting and competitive towards the finals, we are getting closer to having our winner emerge, but, which of these citadels will it be? All I see is each team stepping their game up towards outdoing the other at every stage of this competition, hence making it quite difficult to hatch a guess, well, a good fighting spirit they all exhibit I must say.

But no hard feelings debaters, I mean we love you all but a winner has got to emerge.

That said, let us now proceed to the battle of the day.

[size=14pt]Yes,

it is

The Quarter Finals' Third Battle!
[/size]

All debaters, judges and coordinators should kindly take note that the debate rules, procedures and modalities still stands, do well to abide by them.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:52am On Mar 06, 2016
Date: 6th March 2016

Time: 7pm

I remain Fattbabakay , the coordinator for this team.

And the judges with me are,

Isacolukay

KingTom

Naijadeyhia

I greet you Sirs smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:53am On Mar 06, 2016
FUTMINNA

►TopeQs
►Djhack1
►hamzeiy
►darex1
►Timcy01

LASU

Lagos State University generally regarded as Lasu was established in 1983 by the enabling Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, for the advancement of learning and establishment of academic excellence.
Chancellor: Molade Okoya-Thomas

Her philosophy is For truth and service

Her representatives:
►NeonDee
►IamDejman
►Timidelaw
►horlapelumi
►Eduntee

Source: Wikipedia.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:55am On Mar 06, 2016
DEBATE RULES

Kindly read.

1.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is the default colour (black).

2.) The essay should be in maximum of 1000 words.

3.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

4.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

5.) All essays must be submitted on the stipulated date and time.

6.) Sole representatives are not allowed during the competition, both representatives must be present.

7.) All representatives are to engage in rebuttals and give answers to questions raised by the judges and the audience.

8.) Word counts should be strictly adhered to. http://www.wordcounttool.com/

9.) Mindless lifting is outrightly discouraged

10.) Defaulters will be penalized when caught
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:58am On Mar 06, 2016
PROCEDURES

6:55 -- Debaters (TopeQs Djhack1 Timidelaw horlapelumi Dejman) and judges (Isacolukay KingTom Naijadeyhia ) registers presence

7:00 – The Chairman, Lalasticlala declares the debate open

7:00 - 7:30 -- Debaters post their arguments within 30 minutes, maximum word limit is 1000

7:30 – 8:30pm – Rebuttals - A debater takes on his opponent’s view, puncturing his or her points - This the debater does by quoting the said comment and then countering it with his or her own views.

8:20 – 8:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either on what the debater has posited or revolving around the debate topic, albeit, this is not compulsory, it is acceptable for a judge not to have questions for the debaters... Judges with questions should please be specific as to which debater they are posting their questions to. E.g “Mr X, could you expatiate what you meant by subsidy? or ...., kindly give examples to your claim that the removal of fuel subsidy is justified.

8:40 – 9:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

9:00 – 9:20pm – Two questions will be entertained from the audience i.e. viewers and this will be based on ‘fastest fingers’. After the 2 questions, other questions will be attended to after the debate or perhaps, if the debater is free during the debate to respond to them, he or she can do so, however, points will not be awarded after the 2 questions.

9:20 – 9:30pm – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments during this time.

9:30 – 9:40pm – Judges compile their scores and mail to coordinators with a copy to Nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com

9:40 – 10:00pm - Coordinators announce results, after which the thread will be thrown open for regular Nairaland discussions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:58am On Mar 06, 2016
DEBATE MODALITIES

5 points to be awarded to each criteria.

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience.
Fynestboi:

To join the munificent in ensuring the participant instigation, kindly send a mail to.. nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com.

Simply put, we need sponsors for the debate.

THANKS..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 8:59am On Mar 06, 2016
Please while the debate is going on, only the contestants, coordinators, Chairman and Supermods (if need be) can post.

Let us all kindly comply, as defaulters might attract a 3 hours ban (duration of the debate).

You can however comment simultaneously at the planning thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2446965/nairaland-interschool-debate-chatroom-third/40

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 9:00am On Mar 06, 2016
FUTMINNA VS LASU

► Timidelaw
► Horlapelumi

►TopeQs
►Djhack1
►hamzeiy
►darex1
►Timcy01

DATE: 6th March 2016

Effective change Nigeria truly needs: Sole responsibility of the leaders or followers?

Coordinating:
Judges: Isacolukay, KingTom, Naijadeyhia

Time: 7pm
Venue: Nairaland.com

Come and witness the mother of all e-Essay Competition on the biggest Section of the biggest online forum in Africa..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 6:25pm On Mar 06, 2016
cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2016
We are starting soon....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 6:39pm On Mar 06, 2016
Effective change Nigeria truly needs responsibility of the leaders or followers.....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 6:49pm On Mar 06, 2016
I believe our participants are strongly available....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:00pm On Mar 06, 2016
-- Debaters (TopeQs Djhack1 Timidelaw horlapelumi Dejman) and judges (Isacolukay KingTom Naijadeyhia ) registers presence
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:00pm On Mar 06, 2016
The Chairman, Lalasticlala declares the debate open
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by KingTom(m): 7:01pm On Mar 06, 2016
Present cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by kennyman2000(m): 7:02pm On Mar 06, 2016
Nice one.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by yemajiteru(m): 7:03pm On Mar 06, 2016
I concur.... #teamfutminna
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2016
Present smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2016
7:00 - 7:30 -- Debaters post their arguments within 30 minutes, maximum word limit is 1000

Djhack1
TopeQs
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Ajstyles01(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2016
nice one am d winner
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2016
Fynestboi:

Djhack1
TopeQs

Post your argument..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by TopeQs: 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2016
Good day Mr. Chairman, erudite judges, the coordinators, the moderators, accurate time
keeper, distinguished audience.

my name is TopeQs, representing Futminna. I'm here to support the notion that the effective change Nigeria truly needs is the sole responsibility of the leaders...

First, we need to understand what a leader does and what a follower is expected to do..
A team leader is someone who provides
guidance, instruction, direction and leadership
to a group of other individuals (the team) for
the purpose of achieving a key result or
group of aligned results. The team lead
reports to a project manager (overseeing
several teams).
A follower on the other side is someone who has beliefs in another person's ability to lead and the follower trust, follow and support the person who lead.
My definition of team leader above makes use understand that the the team leader has a purpose which is achieving a key result. The result we're talking about here is CHANGE, in this country Nigeria.
The definition above is according to Wikipedia.
Effective change Nigeria truly needs is the sole responsibility of our leaders, Nigeria is a country that practice a system of democracy which involves the voting in of a leader, before the full voting process the one who wants to be voted in as a leader will highlight the problem the country is facing so that he can use it as a plan during his campaign because he understand the fact that it is the leader who can effectively bring change to the nation through their work and action.

However, Some would argue that the change Nigeria need is from the followers because they are the one to vote a leader but the followers might as well vote in a bad leader and the followers would suffer the consequences because it is only the leader who can effectively implement the good change Nigeria truly needs. If this leader fails to make a good change it will affect everyone dragging us back to the fact that any kind of change that we need as a nation is solely the responsibility of the leader.
But the effective change Nigeria needs isn't directly the sole responsibility of the leader, the leader also have other responsibilities to improve the nation, there are a lot of other aspect in which the leader needs to implement the nation, like the fall economy, the currency and the rate of corruption and so on.
Furthermore, A leader has to be diverse, effective change isn't the only responsibility, representation of the nation, stabilising the Nigerian economy, appointing capable hands as the ministers and making key appointment in the national chambers.
Conclusively, the effective change Nigeria need is the sole responsibility of the leaders.

Thank you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 06, 2016
present wink cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:08pm On Mar 06, 2016
TopeQs just in time..

Djhack1 fire on... .
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Eduntee(m): 7:13pm On Mar 06, 2016
Eduntee present
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:14pm On Mar 06, 2016
LASU representative are you ready?

EDUNTEE
NeonDee
IamDejman
Timidelaw
Horlapelumi

If Yes kindly post your argument...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 7:17pm On Mar 06, 2016
smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by Eduntee(m): 7:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
“The blight of hypocrisy extends beyond Abuja, and well beyond politics and politicians. We have a crisis of leadership. As Nigerians, we don’t obey the law and we do not follow the rules and regulation. It is a failure of followership, when we elect politicians who are not fit to be head of households to high office” this are not my words, this are the words of Bamidele Ademola Olateju. Good day Chairman ,panel of judges accurate time keeper and my fellow talk mate I am Eduntee representing the prestigious Lagos State University and am here to support the motion which says effective change Nigeria truly needs is the sole responsibility of Followers and not the leader. For the purpose of clarity and good marshaling of points I shall define some fundamental terms to this topic and herein after move to my points. It is pertinent to note the utilitarian school of thought headed by Jeremy Bentham stated
Who is a leader?
Who is a follower?
A leader has been defined by the oxford advance learner dictionary as a person who leads a group of people, especially the head of a country; an organization etc. while a follower on the other hand is regarded according to the Merriam Webster dictionary as the capacity or wiliness to follow a leader. Therefore we can consequently infer that a
goal. In line with the above we can clearly see that without a follower a leader would be someone who happens to be taking a walk that is highly delusional. At this juncture I can categorically say that “True followership is the catalyst for change in our society since our leaders have continued to fail us.

Let take a journey back to 1960 after independence Nigeria moved from Parliamentary system of government to Presidential system of government, she has since then experienced both civilian and military regimes yet, her leaders have been unable to deliver to her citizens the quality of life commensurate with her numerous endowed resources. In Nigeria, our leaders has failed to provide portable drinking water, electricity, good roads, effective service delivery, employment, housing scheme, quality health care, quality education, credible electoral system etc. even with all this series of change we have encountered in our country I beg to ask my fellow talk mate this question “As the leader ship of this country change? No it has not, and in fact this goes with that popular saying which says “soldier come soldier goes barrack still remains the same” so what are we now saying, leadership is just only a means to an end while the follower is the end itself and as a matter of fact President Buhari will go while us Nigerians will stay and the so called “president” will also come back to be a “follower”. This is funny right but let proceed.

Followership in Nigeria has not generated much argument. But there have been instances of movements that have been spearheaded by followers. These resistance cases are protest against poor governance and ineptitude of Nigerian Leaders. Nigerian followers are known to be very loyal and supportive to leadership and have participated actively in the achievement of the nation’s goals.

Further more Good followers respect their obligation to be loyal. Loyalty to the country and its goals is very important when there are problems, be it interpersonal or otherwise, with a particular leader. Leaders that are not loyal are inevitably a source of difficulty. They create problems between team members; they compromise the achievement of goals; they waste everybody’s time; they are as a matter of fact a menace. Loyalty is not a synonym for lapdog. Rather, its essence is a strong allegiance and commitment to what the organization is trying to do. Followers should remember that their obligation is to the country, not a given leader at any given point in time. For followers to help their leaders do well, they have a responsibility to actively participate in the government, relationships between leaders and followers, providing an environment that promotes all organizational members to focus on a common goal.
In addition to the aforesaid it is pertinent to note the opinion of the utilitarian school of thought headed by Jeremy Bentham stated that “for a change to be effective, “it most improve the life of the greatest number of her citizens” hence the question I ask my fellow talk is what constitute the government, is it just only the Leaders or in fact the followers. One of things we fail to realize is that there would not be need for any leaders if in fact we don’t have faithful and loyal servant followers, hence without us (follower) we can’t have them tagged (leaders)
In conclusion to the above when a follower take direction they have an obligation to the country to do so only when the direction is ethical and proper. The key is having the judgment to know the difference between a directive that your leader gives on how to proceed and you don’t agree with a directive that is truly wrong.
No one disputes that good judgment is critical to being a good leader. It is just as in the follower. Show enough good judgment as a follower and you usually end up getting a shot at being the leader.
Thank you

Reference
http://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/nigerias-crisis-of-followership-by-bamidele-ademola-olateju/
http://iveybusinessjournal.com/author/jmccallum/
Blessing E. N Thom-Otuya, Leadership and Followership: Essential Factors for National
Development and Achievement of Organizational Goals, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences Vol 3 (15) December 2012
Advanced learner Oxford English dictionary 8th edition
http://www.meriam Webster.com/dictionary/followership.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
“I would like to end my address this morning on our agenda for CHANGE. Change does not just happen. You and I and all of us must appreciate that we all have our part to play if we want to bring change about. We must change our lawless habits, our attitude to public office and public trust. We must change our unruly behaviour in schools, hospitals, market places, motor parks, on the roads, in homes and offices. To bring about change, we must change ourselves by being law-abiding citizens.” Extract from the Speech delivered by President Muhammad Buhari on the occasion of the 55th Independence Day of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Good day Ladies and Gentlemen, I am IamDejman representing Lagos state university and here to stand on the motion that for a Nigeria to have an effective change, it is the sole responsibility of the followers. When we say an effective change, we stand to say that it means the act or process through which something becomes different successfully. I Change is ubiquitous in any society, particularly in that which strives to fulfill human needs. And it takes a committed followers to accomplish a propitious change in a society.

Overtime, Nigeria has undergone four different democratic elections and yet the country cannot pinpoint a significant thing in its environs. Before the year 1999, we were classified with Countries like China, Singapore but today reverse is the case as these countries and more have left us behind and today our nation is in a state of hullabaloo.

For 16 years, we were under the democratic reign of the People's Democratic Party and we had President Olusegun Obansanjo from 1999-2007, President Musa Yar’dua from 2007-2010 and the so called Ineffectual Buffoon (The Economist) President Ebele Jonathan from 2010-2015. During the lavish democratic reign of President Ebele Jonathan, a party emerged called the All Progressive Congress which brought out a mind blowing campaign slogan – CHANGE. They preached, campaigned and brainwashed Nigerians with the Change mantra and they had their candidates elected across board majorly. They became the majority and ruling party. But almost a year, Nigerians still search for an effective change. The mistake we did was believe that our leaders are solely responsible for out effective change. We thought for Our own great and dear country to witness effective change, we just have to be lazy and our leaders will deal with that. NO!

We have to admit, Yes we need an effective change but we must recognize that we followers must determine that. A good leader is one with followers because the followers are those who must take charge and make sure for the implementation of the brilliant idea presented by the Followers. Followers of Jesus Christ allowed Christianity a household religion today, Prophet Muhammed (S.A.W.) never single handedly promoted Islam but his followers made sure the religion spread as much as it can. Back to our current President Buhari, when he was elected as the nominee of the All progressive Congress, his followers made sure the change mantra was adequately preached and campaigned for and today he is President and garnered 15 million plus votes just because he had good followers.

Today, I speak to the follower in Nigeria reading this today, I speak to the common man that believes Nigeria is getting harder to survive in; for us to have an effective change in our Country, we need you. The leaders will try to make life changing policies, we need you to follow and implement them. Our leaders will formulate laws, rules and regulations for the upliftment of the security situations of our country , if we refuse to obey and follow it then the leader have failed. The leaders are nothing without the followers and the followers are responsible for the success of the leaders.

To lead a multi-ethnic society while remaining committed to democratic principles or norms is an uphill task. This is because incorporating several ethnic groups into a single political system means bringing together the basic problem of ethnic conflict as well. This is why it is the sole responsibility of the followers to determine e the stay of effective change in Nigeria.
Nigeria is a nation of many ethnic and religious groups; and for this, governing the society is an enormous job. Given the presence of politically assertive ethnic groups, the stability and survival of the present democratic politics depends on how the followers react and how they choose to be during the reign of such leader. Truly, followers are solely responsible for an effective change in Nigeria.

References

1. Speech delivered on the occasion of the 55th Independence Day of Nigeria by President Muhammed Buhari

2. Oxford Dictionary

3. Leadership, Politics, and Social Change: Nigeria and the Struggle for Survival by Victor Dike

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Finally FG Announced Date For Schools Resumption / UTME 2024: Why Maduka University Enugu Should Be Your Ideal Choice / Study Abroad: Factors To Consider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.