Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,841 members, 7,831,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation (1809 Views)

Anti-saraki Senators Back Down, Rally Round Embattled Senate President / Motion: 22 APC Northern Senators ‘working Against Buhari’ / Northern Senators Meet Over Igbo Domination In Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Afaukwu: 6:40pm On Jul 16, 2009
Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation
By Adetutu Folasade-Koyi, Assistant Editor, Abuja

Northern Senators have changed their opposition to an increase in oil derivation from 13 per cent to 50 per cent, and now want exploration of mineral resources in the region.

The U-turn came less than a month of their rejection of the idea, and that of creation of states demanded especially by the South East.

The Northern Senators, Forum (NSF) said exploration of mineral resources in the North should also attract derivation mandated by the Constitution.

,,We cannot see why there won,t be oil in the North when a desert country like Libya has oil; when Chad and Cameroon have oil,,, a Northern Senator argued.

And ,,seriously speaking, he added, ,,none of us would oppose state creation because there are some states in the North that favour carving out states from the present arrangement.

,,For instance, in Bauchi, there is the agitation for Katagum State and in Benue, a call for the creation of Apa State. So, you can see that it pays the North to go along with the South on state creation.,,

It was also learnt that the Presidency has reached out to the NSF to co-operate on the remaining four of the six electoral reform Bills in the National Assembly (NASS).

Besides, the NSF is considering meeting with the SSF to ,,agree on areas that would be amended in the Constitution and how they would jointly benefit us. We have since realised that there is no need for friction.

,,There are certain aspects of the Constitution amendment that would benefit the entire country. So, the NSF feels there is need for both groups to meet,,, said a source who attended the NSF meeting last Thursday.

The NSF has three core areas it wants Aso Rock to concentrate on in the 2010 budget: agriculture, energy, and mineral resources.

,,We are going to tell the Presidency that more funds need to be allocated to agriculture. In the past, the North was acclaimed for its agricultural prowess. We need to regain that glory and be the food basket of the nation once more.

,,On energy, we are going to parley with the Presidency on the alternative source of energy. Nigeria can do it, because we have the resources.

,,We are looking at wind energy which can be tapped from a state like Katsina. Exploration of wind energy can work in the North just as there is crude oil in the Niger Delta.,,

http://www.independentngonline.com/news/tfpg/article03
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 6:56pm On Jul 16, 2009
that is great and dandy, but will like to know what the creations of more states are all about?
they have been talking of wind energy for years, so let us see it happy first
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Afaukwu: 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

that is great and dandy, but will like to know what the creations of more states are all about?
they have been talking of wind energy for years, so let us see it happy first

The creation of more states is all about equity and equalization

NW 0 STATE + 7=7
NE 1 STATE + 6 = 7
NC 1 STATE + 6 = 7
SW 1 STATE + 6 = 7
SE 2 STATES + 5 =7
SS 1 STATE + 6 = 7

So, every region will then have equal number of states: 7.
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2009
the NSF wants the NNPC to waste more money drilling for oil for them? let them go find their own investors pls
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 16, 2009
No be to make noise

Will they follow it up with action?
100% resource control by each geopolitical zone for their own resources
if they vote for it we will know they are serious.

I think they are being shortsighted on this issue

The North probably has more energy resources of the future than everyother zone, talk about Uranium deposits, SUN etc.
I don't think those of us who call for 100% resources control or devolution of economic management are doing so because we think any region will starve. We just call for devolution because the status quo is not working, it is corrupt, self defeating and short sighted.

Right for all the noise about ONE Nigeria, nobody really treats the country like their own, people come to the table with all sorts of plots on how to pursue the interest of their region over that of the country (and you hear folks who call themselves seasoned politicians making these comments publicly in the 21st century).

Why cant we have a country where each region controls its own resources, pays taxes to the centre, engages in healthy competition on who can out develop the other, a scenario like that will only benefit the ordinary Nigerian on the street if Regional leaders are working hard to outshine the others.

I think we  need to usher ourselves into the 21st century

An economy where the centre sells oil without accountability, spends it the way it likes, while the State and LGA who are the Governments the average Nigerian sees everyday waits every month for monthly allocations from the centre is not sustainable, it is achaic and should be consigned to the dustbin of history.
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:09pm On Jul 16, 2009
Afaukwu:

The creation of more states is all about equity and equalization

NW 0 STATE + 7=7
NE 1 STATE + 6 = 7
NC 1 STATE + 6 = 7
SW 1 STATE + 6 = 7
SE 2 STATES + 5 =7
SS 1 STATE + 6 = 7

So, every region will then have equal number of states: 7.

So equalilty will be based on number of states, even if the state is only being occupied by morons and goats, they will get same allocation with states that are producing all for the Nation? i think that is barbaric
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 16, 2009
I did no know that the NW had been producing all for the nation!!!!

can you explain why they have 7 States and why they should continue to have more states than every other region?
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Ibime(m): 7:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
Lets see if they vote for it first before jumping the gun. . .
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:16pm On Jul 16, 2009
This is really sad and pathetic.
Creating states just cos the nation can come together and create a formula for sharing wealth.
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2009
if creating more states is such a bad thing every other geopolitical zone can revert to 5 so that there will be balance and equity

the notion that state creation its bad now that we need to balance out things is just dodgy in my view

it is another example of the average Nigeria willing to speak out against injustice only when it does not affect their interest. So long as it makes them equal to people who they think they should have illegitimate advantage over, equity and justice is thrown to the wind.

1 Like

Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:27pm On Jul 16, 2009
mikeansy:

if creating more states is such a bad thing every other geopolitical zone can revert to 5 so that there will be balance and equity

the notion that state creation its bad now that we need to balance out things is just dodgy in my view

it is another example of the average Nigeria willing to speak out against injustice only when it does not affect their interest. So long as it makes them equal to people who they think they should have illegitimate advantage over, equity and justice is thrown to the wind.

My questions are
1. Should a state of 100 people as population share equally with a state of 10 M people?
2. what is the usefulness of a state that has no resources at all and waiting for handout from other state that has?
3. Should we just create state to be able to have a balance in sharing formula ?
We currently have 36 states and we cant take care of it all and now we calling for more states to be created?
If it is possible to move back to what it used to be when it as 19 states, i will even vote for that, cos we wasting damn too much money on the states and too much stolen money going thru the hands of the state admin
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

My questions are
1. Should a state of 100 people as population share equally with a state of 10 M people?
2. what is the usefulness of a state that has no resources at all and waiting for handout from other state that has?
3. Should we just create state to be able to have a balance in sharing formula ?
We currently have 36 states and we cant take care of it all and now we calling for more states to be created?
If it is possible to move back to what it used to be when it as 19 states, i will even vote for that, cos we wasting damn too much money on the states and too much stolen money going thru the hands of the state admin

The fact remains that you have not shown how your arguments support the NW having 7 states and why they have more states than every other region.

And by way the sharing formula is not determined by the number of states in your region

The last time I checked Rivers still recieve more resource allocation compared to Katsina

I also want each geopolitical zone to manage their own resources, hence the resaon why we call for more States in the South East is not because it guarantees more resources, its just because it follows a pattern of injustice we have seen for so long.

Go check the map of Nigeria, if Cross River and Akwa Ibom were classified as South East as it should be based on geography, we probably would not be here. Just be honest for once, it wont kill you.

Fairness is the foundation on which any successful nation stands, in Nigeria it is lacking and yet people are happy to openly glorify injustice
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Jul 16, 2009
Resources allocation shd be based on what that state brings to the table.
So with what i am saying, you will know or i at least hope you will know that i am not supporting the North, nor south, nor east, i support a fair sharing that whoever gives more into the general wallet of the nation gets more.
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Resources allocation shd be based on what that state brings to the table.
So with what i am saying, you will know or i at least hope you will know that i am not supporting the North, nor south, nor east, i support a fair sharing that whoever gives more into the general wallet of the nation gets more.

How about allowing people manage their own resources and pay tax to the centre, that sounds fairer to me

I have no business with resource allocation, I am not calling for more resources to the South East

I am just saying each geopolitical zone should have equal number of States
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:51pm On Jul 16, 2009
mikeansy:

How about allowing people manage their own resources and pay tax to the centre, that sounds fairer to me

I have no business with resource allocation, I am not calling for more resources to the South East

I am just saying each geopolitical zone should have equal number of States

If they can allow that, that is fine and the taxes would be same for all states.
meaning if the tax is 25% from every state, so shall it be regardless and allow every state to take care of themselves like policing and other stuff.
i will vote for that
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Ibime(m): 7:53pm On Jul 16, 2009
I am not even in favour of the state system. . . . I dont see any reason why each tribe shouldn't have its own state. . . . last thing I wanna see is Ijaws and Itsekiris fighting or Urhobos and Igbos fighting in Delta State over some local political jagbajantis. . . .you know how tribal Nigerians are. . . .  why cant Ebonyi, Anambra, Imo, Aba etc come together to form one state?. . . . Ijaws in Rivers, Delta, Ondo, Bayelsa can also come together. . . . a federation of Nationalities, just like Spain. . . . even small tribes like Ogoni can have their own state. . . .states can be as small as Rhode Island or as large as Texas. .  . . in that way, we use our tribal culture to strengthen accountability through local customs. . .  

Also, if this is true that Nigeria is willing to return to federalism, the next question is. . . . how do we disarm the militia?. . . .Liberia faced the same problem after their war with different rebel groups all over the place. . . . .
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 7:55pm On Jul 16, 2009
Ibime:

Also, if this is true that Nigeria is willing to return to federalism, the next question is. . . . how do we disarm the militia?. . . .Liberia faced the same problem after their war with different rebel groups all over the place. . . . .    

That will never be possible, in a place where dialogue is not a language till they bomb and kill
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2009
everything na north north north.

You southerners are stupid, I swear.
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Ibime(m): 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

That will never be possible, in a place where dialogue is not a language till they bomb and kill

Sharrap dia. . . . all the peaceful talks for the last 45 years got em nowhere. . . . within just 4 years of picking up arms, we are hearing that Nigeria is willing to negotiate federalism. . . . that alone shows which language communicates better in Nigeria. . . anyway, lemme not jump the gun, I will believe Afaukwus report when I see it implemented. . .
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by tayo4lif: 8:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
Afaukwu , Then we have 8 region with 6 state now since you said  all about equity and equalization

South west  ---- lagos, oyo, ijebu, ibadan, oke ogun, ogun,
South central --  Ondo, ekiti, akure, okitipupa, Oduduwa , osun,
South south-------    edo, delta, river, akwa ibom, cross river, bayelsa
South east------  Imo, abia, enugu, ebonyi,anambra,  igbo in river state
North south -------  Kwara, Okun, Igbomina, kogi, apa, benue
North west-------- sokoto, kebbi, zamfara, kano, jigawa, katsina
North central-------  Pleateau, nassarawa, niger, edu, south kaduna, kaduna
North west--------  Adamawa, taraba,bauchi, gombe, borno and yobe
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 8:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
Like someone said on another post.
If they let other tribe goes, they will still have inner fight within themselves, so if we think it is a way forward that the 4 years of arms carrying has given federalism, then, let us wait and see what the pregnancy will give birth to.
Soon, those that carried the arms will re-carry when they think they are not being compensated for carrying it and make them rule
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Beaf: 8:10pm On Jul 16, 2009
This guys voted for just 50%, despite having huge quantities of exploitable minerals. Why not 100%?

Question is why?

Could it be that the oligarchs find it easier to "divide and rule" the south while expoliting the ND to levels that shame slavery? Could it be that these same tactics will fail closer to home, so withold 50% so expoitation can continue "to a degree" in the ND?
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Beaf: 8:12pm On Jul 16, 2009
Maybe more action from MEND will yield the remaining 50% vote. grin
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Afaukwu: 8:15pm On Jul 16, 2009
This is the bomb:

Equality of states in each region

Or

Abolish all the states and lets have regions only (six regions, three north, three south)
100% resource control including oil, gas, coal, solid minerals, agricultural produce, etc
20% tax to the federal govt for all minerals and other produce
16.67% of federal workforce from each region =16.67 x6=100
Rotational presidency, senate presidency and house speaker between the regions, north and south,east and west
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Ibime(m): 8:16pm On Jul 16, 2009
50% is fair in the interests of Nation building. . . . I just wanna know if this deal goes beyond fiscal federalism. . . . does it extend to legislature, issuing of licences, policing etc?. . . . I would like to see progressive states given free hand to devlop their own institutions. . .
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by tayo4lif: 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2009
Afaukwu region NEVER. 8 region
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Ibime(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2009
Afaukwu, could you please provide us a link to your original story?
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2009
Afaukwu:

This is the bomb:

Or

Abolish all the states and lets have regions only (six regions, three north, three south)
100% resource control including oil, gas, coal, solid minerals, agricultural produce, etc
Rotational presidency, senate presidency and house speaker between the regions, north and south,east and west

i love your view, except rational presidency and all that crap.
We have democracy and all shd be determined via an election
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Afaukwu: 8:31pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i love your view, except rational presidency and all that crap.
We have democracy and all shd be determined via an election

Who says rotational presidency is not an elective process? Were Yaradua and Obasanjo not elected? If every region must pay their due as I listed above, then every region must produce a national leader.
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Afaukwu: 8:31pm On Jul 16, 2009
tayo4lif:

Afaukwu region NEVER. 8 region

This sounds like becomerich. Have you mutated yet again into another name? grin
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Afaukwu: 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2009
Ibime:

Afaukwu, could you please provide us a link to your original story?

Done
Re: Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation by Beaf: 9:07pm On Jul 16, 2009
Afaukwu:

This is the bomb:

Or

No!
The country should be set upon the simple principles:
1. live by your culture
2. Eat what you produce

The federating units should only have the following in common:
a. Foreign Policy
b. Food Silos
c. Education Standards
d. Judiciary
e. Military
f. Inter-state Transportation (water,land, air)
g. National statistics

Everything else should be devolved to the states.
The states will pay 5% tax to the Federal govt on all earning (except agriculture)

(1) (2) (Reply)

One More Reason Why The Nigeria/biafra War Memories Still Linger / In The SpotLight. Becomrich1 And His Multiple ID(s) / Adolf Hitler Reacts To Fg Spending 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.