Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? (18890 Views)

Get These JOBS Today! / These Jobs Are Available / Get Your Profile Viewed On Linkedin If You Are Interested In Any Of These Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by obiaguna(m): 12:03am On Mar 10, 2016
goldiam:
Tell your friend to go for the law firm and give me the link for the music school.

grin grin grin grin grin grin I'm rolling here.. Pls let's be friends..i like people that think outside the norm.. Lmao

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Wowzer(m): 12:42am On Mar 10, 2016
So people still earn 30k. undecided

7.30am till 6.00pm = Slaving away.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by onunwa21(m): 5:25am On Mar 10, 2016
goodgirl2409:
A friend of mine is confused on which of these jobs to take. Pls advice,which option should he go for?

First job
Company; law firm
Time; 7.30am-6.00pm
Days; monday-friday
Salary; 30K with other uncertain benefits
Salary per annum; 360,000naira

Second job
Company; music school
Days; wednesdays and thursdays only
Time; 12-2pm
Salary; 300K every 3 months
Salary per annum; 900,000naira

Remember this is Nigeria....wer ur certificate don't count. Oshibanjo studied laws, by right he's suppose to be in his law chamber.
Tell him to go 4 d second job..Experience no mata 4 9ga
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Drabrah(m): 6:45am On Mar 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Law job..

REASON: Relevant Experience..

The person should assess the Law firm and check if they have a good reputation in the industry. If its one of the top Law Firms, work for them and gather that invaluable experience which can get him/her into an even better Law firm in the future.

The second Job though it comes with better pay, adds nothing relevant the the persons resume and in the future when that job eventually ends, the person will be left with nothing but memories of a job that paid well but added no value to his professional life..

I disagree wt u on dat.
D 2nd job may not be a "classical" "professional" job, buh @ 4 hrs a week, dats almost like not working @all.
Hence, d time can be channelled to something more productive, professionally & otherwise.
Hence, he could conveniently do his PG in either fields, do some professional courses, go into business, or even get a job in anoda law firm wt an agreement 2 take d 2 days off.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by goodgirl2409: 7:51am On Mar 10, 2016
Drabrah:

I disagree wt u on dat.
D 2nd job may not be a "classical" "professional" job, buh @ 4 hrs a week, dats almost like not working @all.
Hence, d time can be channelled to something more productive, professionally & otherwise.
Hence, he could conveniently do his PG in either fields, do some professional courses, go into business, or even get a job in anoda law firm wt an agreement 2 take d 2 days off.

That is very true.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:36am On Mar 10, 2016
Drabrah:

I disagree wt u on dat.

Its very easy to type up whatever you think sounds nice, but the reality on ground is not the same.

In Nigeria, the Average Lawyer in a good Law Firm works 10 - 12 hour days including weekends. Emphasis on "Good Law Firm" not mediocre ones.

Thats why I said he should 'assess' the Law firm well before entering.

A 4-hour a week job is definitely part-time and thus has a short life span. A PGD is not as powerful as relevant job experience. When the part-time job ends (which it will), his resume is still as virgin as it was from the start and he still has no relevant job experience in his career field.

Music is a hobby, Law is a discipline.

The decision is the OP's to make, I only gave my professional advice as someone who has been working for 6 years and counting..
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:55am On Mar 10, 2016
Yteflon:
but what makes u think d job will end? And he wouldn't av invest some of his earnings before den

The fact that you think a Part-Time Job has no end tells it all..
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by habsydiamond(m): 9:07am On Mar 10, 2016
Forget profession for now. Money is all that matters. Go for the second option straight

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Nobody: 9:08am On Mar 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:

The fact that you think a Part-Time Job has no end tells it all..

What about he takes the job, work for few months, save up, and while he is at it, he takes up pro-bono casessad. When he feels like he has saved enough, he could go back to his career.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:17am On Mar 10, 2016
daretodiffer:

What about he takes the job, work for few months, save up, and while he is at it, he takes up pro-bono casessad. When he feels like he has saved enough, he could go back to his career.

Pro-Bono cases are good, but they are expensive as well..

Pro-Bono means (at no cost), meaning he will not make a penny off of those cases.

Also, the calibre and exposure a Law firm gives him, he will never get working pro-bono.

Also, we dont know what type of Lawyer the OP wants to be. Does he want to be a litigation lawyer, civil Lawyer, intellectual property lawyer, international law Lawyer, mergers and acquisitions, contract and tort, criminal law, Employment and labor law, Environmental law, Tax law, e.t.c.. These are not thing working Pro bono cases gets you. Not all lawyers are trial lawyers..

Career is not something that sits there waiting for you like that.. Career is like a building, the more effort you put into it, the higher up you climb. The earlier you start, the earlier you will start growing.

Money isnt everything in the professional world.. Thats Lesson 101.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Pro-Bono cases are good, but they are expensive as well..

Pro-Bono means (at no cost), meaning he will not make a penny off of those cases.

Also, the calibre and exposure a Law firm gives him, he will never get working pro-bono.

Also, we dont know what type of Lawyer the OP wants to be. Does he want to be a litigation lawyer, civil Lawyer, intellectual property lawyer, international law Lawyer, mergers and acquisitions, contract and tort, e.t.c.. These are not thing working Pro bono cases gets you. Not all lawyers are trial lawyers..

Career is not something that sits there waiting for you like that.. Career is like a building, the more effort you put into it, the higher up you climb. The earlier you start, the earlier you will start growing.

Money isnt everything in the professional world.. Thats Lesson 101.

You have a point, by pro bono I want expecting him not to ask for few notes here and there. Money isn't everything but do you expect much from a law FIRM that is going to pay N30 000/monthshocked.

From your explanation, I would say his decision should be based on what the firm would be offering.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by pearls336: 9:39am On Mar 10, 2016
My dear choose the music school, pending the time you would get another law firm that would pay you something reasonable, or go to a law firm and tell them you want to do freelance work for them they don't have to pay you anything but you would gain experience and the hours would be flexible. Law firms salary is crap, they don't pay well and they over work you,you would be so broke working there that you won't even have enough money to buy a good suit for work.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by eninaija(f): 10:08am On Mar 10, 2016
olashas:
Take the second job. Then, during your spare time, look for a law firm that will allow you do Private practice (PP). This way, you learn the ropes at the law firm and you get a reasonable amount at the music school. Win/win situation bro.

You might regret taking the law firm job at the end of the month with this ridiculous salary.

Good advice.
Get attached to a Law firms , spend free days there to learn the legal practice.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:08am On Mar 10, 2016
daretodiffer:

You have a point, by pro bono I want expecting him not to ask for few notes here and there. Money isn't everything but do you expect much from a law FIRM that is going to pay N30 000/monthshocked.

From your explanation, I would say his decision should be based on what the firm would be offering.

Well.

30,000 Naira for a fresh Law Graduate is understandable.

He is no better than a Paralegal at this stage.. Patience is the key for fresh Graduates.

30'k Today, but the value of having 'relevant experience' is second to none.

UNLESS he does not intend to pursue a career in Law.. Then he can take up whatever job he pleases.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Well.

30,000 Naira for a fresh Law Graduate is understandable

He is no better than a Paralegal at this stage.. Patience is the key for fresh Graduates.

30'k Today, but the value of having 'relevant experience' is second to none.

UNLESS he does not intend to pursue a career in Law.. Then he can take up whatever job he pleases.

That is scarysad
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:17am On Mar 10, 2016
daretodiffer:

That is scarysad

I agree... grin grin grin

But it gets better I promise.

I remember when I would have killed for a 30'k job. When my 9,500 naira allowee felt like I could use that money to buy an Estate. grin

Today though... grin My C.V has a Surulere story to tell.. grin

I will advice him to take the Law job if he wants to practice.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:

I agree... grin grin grin

But it gets better I promise.

I remember when I would have killed for a 30'k job. When my 9,500 naira allowee felt like I could use that money to buy an Estate. grin

Today though... grin My C.V has a Surulere story to tell.. grin

I will advice him to take the Law job if he wants to practice.

smiley smiley smiley

Well, he will need to work on himself for it to get better.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:22am On Mar 10, 2016
daretodiffer:

smiley smiley smiley

Well, he will need to work on himself for it to get better.

True Dat.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by mytym(m): 11:47am On Mar 10, 2016
goodgirl2409:
A friend of mine is confused on which of these jobs to take. Pls advice,which option should he go for?

First job
Company; law firm
Time; 7.30am-6.00pm
Days; monday-friday
Salary; 30K with other uncertain benefits
Salary per annum; 360,000naira

Second job
Company; music school
Days; wednesdays and thursdays only
Time; 12-2pm
Salary; 300K every 3 months
Salary per annum; 900,000naira

Music School i will advise. I dont know whether the person is employed as a company lawyer in that school or as a Music professional. Either way, I'd advise the person to go for the school. It doesnt hinder him/her from practicing legal services in other forms (PP) however subtle. Lawyers now prefer to be Company Secretaries and a host of other job descriptions. The icing on that cake is the free personal time.

I must add, except the young lawyer is sure of becoming a practicing Partner over time in an established law firm or planning to leave and set up personal chamber, nowadays its increasingly getting more difficult to nurture ones passion healthily without money.

Most people still manage to live in denial that money isn't everything. Money is FUNDamental, its why its called FUNDS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Would You Advice This Lawyer To Go For? by 3rdlegxxx(m): 12:48am On May 04, 2016
olashas:
Take the second job. Then, during your spare time, look for a law firm that will allow you do Private practice (PP). This way, you learn the ropes at the law firm and you get a reasonable amount at the music school. Win/win situation bro.

You might regret taking the law firm job at the end of the month with this ridiculous salary.

Just came across this and must say, u stroke a cord, I keep telling friends to always their time well, law firms for fresh graduates with other passions are kill joys, they take most of your time and the pay is miserable, its better to have by the side than as the major thing..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thanks N/L. Got A New Job Yesterday / Slave Masters At Work Place / Massive Nationwide Job Recruitment At Actionaid (AA) Nigeria General Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.