Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,802 members, 7,956,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:47 PM

A Raisin In The Sun - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / A Raisin In The Sun (1265 Views)

AY's 10 Days In Sun City: A Review By Heromaniaa / Ayo Makun Announces New Movie, '10 Days In Sun City' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Raisin In The Sun by guestresearcher: 8:40am On Mar 09, 2016
Hello everyone! I have an important question regarding the play/movie A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry.

I'm in an Acting/Theatre class and I'm doing last minute research (I know, I know) on one particular part of my scene. I'm playing Beneatha who is dating Nigerian man Joseph Asaguy. For those who haven't seen or read long story short, she gains a interest in Nigeria. Joseph gives Beneatha his sister "Nigerian attire". The particular scene I'm doing is where she's showing off what a "well-dressed Nigerian woman wears".

This is where I'm stuck at... she begins to play music. What kind? She's wearing Nigerian attire, doing a supposed folk dance from Nigeria, so can I assume she's also playing Nigerian music? Beneatha does a folk dance, a dance of welcome, welcoming the men back to the village. She does a chant along with the record and it says,

"Alundi, alundi
Alundi, alunya
Jop pu a jeepua
Ang gu soooooooooco

Ai yae yae
Ayehaye, alundi"

I'm able to pronounce everything correctly except the Jop pu a jeepua part. But I can get it right. But more importantly, I need the meaning of the whole chant. I tried with Google translate but that didn't help me. I'm aware Nigeria has sooooo many languages so I wasn't surprised that outlet didn't serve a purpose. My professor asked if I knew the meaning, I told her no, she then suggested I find a Nigerian forum to see if others could help me out. I blew it off. I thought whatever. But as I became deeply invested into my character, Beneatha, I feel its important for me to know what I'm saying. I don't feel my scene is complete without me knowing what it says or even the meaning of it. It's just doesn't feel right.

Can anyone help me translate this or point me to the direction where I may be able to? If y'all could help me out that'd be great!

(1) (Reply)

Share Your Experience With 3D Tv / Popular Old Movie, The Gods Must Be Crazy Star Actor Dead ? / Leverage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.