Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,740 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Beware!, Snakes At Walmart - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Beware!, Snakes At Walmart (2866 Views)

What I Eat In China Frogs? Snakes? Find Out. / Do You Eat Snakes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 3:57am On Jul 18, 2009
Snake bite at Walmart
hospitalizes man
Man in critical condition and could
lose finger
Updated: Friday, 17 Jul 2009, 1:01 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 17 Jul 2009, 12:59 PM EDT

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (NBC) - A man bitten by a snake insde a St. Augustine, Fla. Walmart may end up losing a finger.

Jeriel Joiner went shopping at the store while carrying his baby boy Tuesday afternoon. When a baby bottle fell to the floor and rolled under some plants in the Garden Center, Joiner reached down to grab it.

That's when a pygmy rattlesnake latched onto his finger.

He was taken to Shands Jacksonville Medical Center , where he is listed in critical condition.
Doctors said they may have to amputate his finger to save his life,

Florida wildlife officials said pygmy rattlesnakes are the most abundant venomous snakes in Florida and are one of the species most commonly found in the garden sections of stores like Walmart.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:01am On Jul 18, 2009
Victim Making Demands Of Wal-Mart After Snake Bite
Posted: 11:57 am EST February 22, 2007
Updated: 5:00 pm EST February 22, 2007

VIERA, Fla. -- A Brevard County man is taking on Wal-Mart, after he was attacked by a poisonous snake inside one of its stores. He is warning shoppers about a problem, which has sent more people to hospitals than you might ever think.

John Page ended up in the emergency room at Wuestoff Hospital after he was attacked by a[b] pygmy rattlesnake [/b] last November. He talked publicly for the first time, Friday, about what happened.

"I pulled my hand out of the shopping cart and, to my surprise, there is a 14-to-18 inch snake hanging off of my finger," he said.

Page said he never expected to get bit by a rattlesnake inside a Wal-Mart garden center, but there he was with a 12-year-old rattler pumping venom into his hand.
"I could feel the poison in there. I could feel it burning in there," he said.

An employee was able to catch the 12-year-old serpent, put it in a cup and give it to paramedics. Page took pictures of the reptile with his camera phone from his bed at the hospital.

"My right finger is completely locked. It won't open, whatsoever," he said.

Page said his hand is still getting worse and what upsets him just as much was discovering how many times rattlesnakes have attacked customers in Wal-Marts before. H[/b]is lawyer has documented cases dating back 20 years, including at least seven other attacks and even more cases where rattlers were found before anyone was bitten.

In many of the cases, Wal-Mart spokespeople have characterized the bites as freak accidents.

"The reason we are here today is because we feel like this is something of a little-known public health issue that needs to be told," said Page's attorney, Scott Baughan.

Page and his attorney have asked the store to pay for the medical expenses, to take proactive measures to prevent snakes from getting into their garden centers and to warn shoppers.

"[b]Before you stick your hands in there, think about it. There could something lurking in there to bite
you," Page said.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:03am On Jul 18, 2009
Florida Man Sues Wal-Mart Over In-Store Snake Attack
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Print ShareThisFORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A 42-year-old man bitten by a snake in a Pembroke Pines Wal-Mart garden center is suing the company for negligence.

Jay Richitelli says he is the third Floridian in three years to be attacked in a Wal-Mart by a pygmy rattler. Two others were bitten in 2006 at the retailer's stores in Central Florida.

Richitelli's attorney says the Bentonville, Arkansas company should have taken steps to prevent the attacks after they happened before.

Wal-Mart wouldn't comment on the litigation filed in Broward County Circuit Court, but said customer safety is its top priority.

Richitelli says he still has respiratory problems and scars from the 2008 bite. But he's been back to Wal-Mart several times, saying their prices are too good to shop elsewhere
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by savanaha: 4:03am On Jul 18, 2009
Chineke, snake in Florida Wal-Mart? I will never enter that place. From stories I have heard from my mother of snakes, I am scared immobile of them.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:10am On Jul 18, 2009
Text SizeAAASnake Bites Woman Walking Through Wal-Mart Garden Center
Posted: 12:33 pm EDT June 1, 2006
Updated: 9:53 am EDT[b] June 5, 2006[/b]

Delaine Jarrell was looking through the plants in the garden center at a Jacksonville Wal-Mart on Wednesday, when a snake sunk its fangs into her arm and didn't let go without a fight.
"He finally broke loose and, thank goodness for sweat pants with elastic on them, because he tried to climb up my britches' leg," Jarrell said.

Jarrell went to the emergency room two days later when she noticed red streaks running down her arm.

Fortunately, the snake wasn't poisonous.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 4:11am On Jul 18, 2009
wtf!
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:12am On Jul 18, 2009
savanaha:

Chineke, snake in Florida Wal-Mart? I will never enter that place. From stories I have heard from my mother of snakes, I am scared immobile of them.

I was horrified about the news this evening only to do a google search and read that there's been many other cases,incidentally they've all been in Florida.This is scary.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 4:12am On Jul 18, 2009
Hmmmmm, well . . . .dont go to the Garden center then
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:18am On Jul 18, 2009
For those outside of the USA,Walmart is a giant supermarket that sells virtually everything from groceries to electronics to clothing to live plants,car tires,pharmacy,name it,they have it.
They also usually have an eyeclinic,photoshop,western union and even McDonalds.
You can have your  oil  and tires changed while you shop.
They have the cheapest prices for most things.
A one stop shop and they are one of the largest employers in the USA.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:21am On Jul 18, 2009
FL Gators:

Hmmmmm, well . . . .dont go to the Garden center then

Do you think they're paralyzed and can't crawl around.
For those who buy clothing there abeg check well well before a snake hides in the  crotch of the jeans and  bites you in the forbidden area
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 18, 2009
WalMart needs to investigate their department. Why is this thing only going on in FL.

Well, snakes is not that scary, esp when you gotz Alligators crawling out of their lakes on campus during the night grin grin Now you go really fear.

$$osisi:

Do you think they're paralyzed and can't crawl around.
For those who buy clothing there abeg check well well before a snake hides in the crotch of the jeans and bites you in the forbidden area
rotflmao grin
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:36am On Jul 18, 2009
Now about about a woman that goes to poo poo in her New york apartment and a python was in the toilet bowl?
let me find the story
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:38am On Jul 18, 2009
first this.

TAIPEI (Reuters) - A Taiwanese man became a sitting target for a snake, which bit his penis as sat on the toilet at his rural home, local media reported on Monday.

"As soon as he sat down, he suddenly felt a knife-like pain and reacted instinctively by standing up," the China Times said. "When he looked down, he saw the big snake."

The 51-year-old man, from Nantou County, was under medical care with minor injuries, a director at Puli Christian Hospital said.

"As soon as he has passed the risk of infection, he can go," the director, who declined to be named, said. "A snake's mouth isn't always clean."

Local television images showed the black and yellow reptile, reportedly a species of rat snake, being uncoiled and plucked slowly from the toilet bowl.

Snakes regularly enter rural homes in Taiwan and other sub-tropical regions of Asia.

(Reporting by Ralph Jennings; Editing by Nick Macfie and Miral Fahmy)
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by ssosisi: 4:57am On Jul 18, 2009
According to the Associated Press, 38 year old New York City resident, Nadege Brunacci, was washing her hands when she glanced over her shoulder and out of the corner of her eye saw the head of a large snake in her toilet; most of the snake’s body was still in the pipe. Naturally she let out a scream.

She called her landlord who called the fire department. But eventually plumbers were called in to remove the creature from the downstairs neighbor’s pipes. And this snake was no joke. It was a 7 foot python.

Brunacci ended up giving the snake to a friend as a pet, but since the incident, she says that she’s been using her daughter’s training toilet.
Investigators are still trying to figure out how the python made it way into the toilet.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Badriyyah(f): 11:31am On Jul 18, 2009
Jesus, And my sister is moving to Florida. Thanks for the new, Walmart really needs to do something about it before a child gets bitten or someone dies, Ah ah, a whole walmart can't afford to get rid of their snakes? Maybe now that it has gone public they will do something about it.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Badriyyah(f): 11:32am On Jul 18, 2009
FL Gators:

WalMart needs to investigate their department. Why is this thing only going on in FL.

Well, snakes is not that scary, esp when you gotz Alligators crawling out of their lakes on campus during the night grin grin Now you go really fear.
rotflmao grin

shocked shocked shocked, Now that is scary!!!!
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by mamagee3(f): 5:46pm On Jul 18, 2009
What the heck? shocked
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Hauwa1: 11:21pm On Jul 18, 2009
walmart stuff cheap? very questionable.

i hope they make money out of them wink
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 12:28am On Jul 19, 2009
*Hauwa*:

walmart stuff cheap? very questionable.

i hope they make money out of them wink
Their stuff is not cheap anymore. undecided I find the mall cheaper.

Badriyyah:

shocked shocked shocked, Now that is scary!!!!
Well we're all aware of them sha.
Point is, dnt walk along their area at night.
Them warn us say not to bother them and they won't bother us. Like WDH cheesy
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Hauwa1: 1:37am On Jul 19, 2009
true. i am always tempted with their fav words to lure customer. i dont see anything cheap there jo. just try buying your toileteries there, toothpaste, dove, face wash, creams, brush, tissue, kleenex ha!! by the time they done adding up everything, am like what did i buy  undecided.
grin

let them continue selling rattles.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 1:40am On Jul 19, 2009
*Hauwa*:

true. i am always tempted with their fav words to lure customer. i dont see anything cheap there jo. just try buying your toileteries there, toothpaste, dove, face wash, creams, brush, tissue, kleenex ha!! by the time they done adding up the price am like what did i buy undecided.
grin

let them continue selling rattles.
rotflmao. Thats what happened to me yest jare.
When she told me the price, I was like, xcuse me? What did I buy?

It's just that people are used to thinking cheap when walmart comes to mind. And the store is kinda comfortable sha.
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Hauwa1: 1:50am On Jul 19, 2009
lol same with me o. i just rora remove 3 things from what she added grin

too broke for Mr. Walton to use my dime for their stock grin
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by MrCrackles(m): 1:59am On Jul 19, 2009
Allahu Akbar. . . . . . . shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 2:12am On Jul 19, 2009
*Hauwa*:

lol same with me o. i just rora remove 3 things from what she added grin

too broke for Mr. Walton to use my dime for their stock grin
hehehe, 3 things, first I couldnt find anything I wanted o remove, and the others in the line were groaning.

Them groan for a while grin
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by MrCrackles(m): 2:15am On Jul 19, 2009
Origin of the snakes in Florida is simple. . . .The loads of wildlife dealers concentrated in Florida
All the bloody serpents got flooded via the Miami port!
I fucking hate snakes. . . . . .The most despicable animal ever Shivers and Shudders
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 2:17am On Jul 19, 2009
I hate snakes too jare.
But how do you know about the Miami porrts, are you one of the snake dealers cheesy
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Hauwa1: 2:18am On Jul 19, 2009
he must be an handler there. ta lo mo lipsrsealed grin
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by MrCrackles(m): 2:19am On Jul 19, 2009
FL Gators:

I hate snakes too jare.
But how do you know about the Miami porrts, are you one of the snake dealers cheesy

I know. . . .A lotta wildlife coming into America do so via the Miami Port!
Wildlife dealers are concentrated around there. . . .
I know your City more than you miss. . . Dont fuc.k with me, knowledge goes thru the wire! tongue
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Hauwa1: 2:20am On Jul 19, 2009
me i just smile and continued. i waited for them to use their coupon and count their coins so they should patiently wait for me to remove things scanned  grin ended up leaving with few things.

FL Gators:

hehehe, 3 things, first I couldnt find anything I wanted to remove, and the others in the line were groaning.

Them groan for a while grin
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by MrCrackles(m): 2:21am On Jul 19, 2009
*Hauwa*:

he must be an handler there. ta lo mo  lipsrsealed grin

Yeah start shitting yourself coz m gonna unleash a variety of serpents into your town!
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Hauwa1: 2:23am On Jul 19, 2009
hehehe, you amuse me wink
Re: Beware!, Snakes At Walmart by Nobody: 2:23am On Jul 19, 2009
MrCrackles:

I know. . . .A lotta wildlife coming into America do so via the Miami Port!
Wildlife dealers are concentrated around there. . . .
I know your City more than you miss. . . Dont fuc.k with me, knowledge goes thru the wire! tongue

F.Y.I, I'm not in Miami tongue

*Hauwa*:

he must be an handler there. ta lo mo lipsrsealed grin
No wonder why I fear crackles small small. Who knows grin grin

*Hauwa*:

me i just smile and continued. i waited for them to use their coupon and count their coins so they should patiently wait for me to remove things scanned  grin ended up leaving with few things.
rotflmao cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help, I Can't Cook To Save My Life! / How i was robbed this morning. / The King Of Small Chops In Abuja And Beyond.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.