Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Why The Average Nigerian Shouldn't Pay More Taxes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Average Nigerian Shouldn't Pay More Taxes (349 Views)

Road Users To Pay Multiple Taxes As Bill Awaits Senate's Approval / The Average Nigerian Will Make 18% Less In 2015 / FG Earns N980bn From Taxes In Three Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why The Average Nigerian Shouldn't Pay More Taxes by Jackter101(m): 9:19am On Mar 10, 2016
It is obvious that the new sell from the Nigerian Government is that the citizens should pay more so that the Government can function. It is however unfortunate that the masses(excluding those that benefited from the loots) and their opinions don't count in Governance. Regardless of how much they receive in extra taxes, there is no amount that is enough for a vision-less government.

We hear everyday about funds being recovered and loots being repatriated but still, it seems that this government won't stop until the masses start feeding on themselves.

In saner climates, citizens of a Nation see and enjoy what their taxes are used for. They have good roads, clean water, subsidized electricity, good public schools and even free health care in some countries. The opposite is the case in Nigeria. Bad roads, no electricity, no good water, no fuel, and healthcare is crappy and not even affordable. Then what exactly are the taxes used for in the first instance. Your guess is as good as mine. Until accountability and transparency to the masses are top of the government's list. There is no point giving them more money to waste on their luxurious and wasteful lifestyle.

You will recall that everyone is now mandated to pay 50 naira for every amount received into their current accounts. Another instance is the increase in tariffs for power, but still no improvement. I know you all have the details as I do, so I will spare you.

Now ask yourself this question. Will you pay a restaurant for food not served? Even if you are feeling like a philanthropist and you decide to give the restaurant some money for doing nothing, will you continue to pay every time they demand? Well, the Nigerian government knows that the masses can't do anything but rant online, so they continue to impose more duties and taxes and now the "change" government is about to stop your social media ranting by passing a new bill. I hope our suffering will not be till the end of time.

By Marc Showie

Source: http://www.naijavariety.com/2016/03/why-average-nigerian-shouldnt-pay-more.html

(1) (Reply)

Oyegun Returns From Vacation Says APC NEC'S Meeting Holds Next Week / A Buhari Government, A Paddy Paddy Government. VOM / Oh!, My Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.