Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing (1821 Views)

See History Of Naira Exchange Rate To Dollars From 1972 Till Date / Make Your First Export Shipment To Asia/europe/america And Earn Dollars / We Buy Dollars From Government Officials — Bdcs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2016
A few things about me first,

I'm not a guru or Mr Know it all, infact I'm here to learn and serve more than to teach

I'm not assuming anyone is new to this subject.

I'm hoping by now people are jumping on the opportunity of earning on the world's biggest retail site.

I'm creating this thread so that any amazon authors out there can share their experience and we can all learn from each other, and also any newbies interested could hitch-hike as well.

My goal is to provide as much valuable information with this thread, so that it can serve as a master thread for kindle publishing.

I've created 6 books, I'm working on my seventh, all my books are in the non-fiction range.

Although I plan on writing on some new niches which would require a pseudonym.

So a few tips for publishing on amazon that have helped me:

Tip 1: Writing - I have to confess, I love writing, I write nothing less than 1000 words per day, its a math game for me, most of my books are withing the 10,000 words range, so if I write for ten days, I'll have my first draft, granted it's something I'm very knowledgeable about and needs little research.

So i keep track of my words per hour ratio and I put it all in an excel template. This way i track my speed every single day, up until recently I clock 1200 words per hour on average, I'm still trying to beat my time.

Tip 2: Research great keywords - Just like google ranking and SEO, you need to make sure you have chosen exciting keywords for the title of your book. IF you want to write a book on[b] "How to be productive in the workplace"[/b] for a example, your major keyword here is productivity, so you can search on amazon's website and check the books under productivity.

See their ranking per 100 and also their category rank. Another sub-tip is to put the major keyword in front of the book, so for our book we can name it, "Productive tips: being a world-class employee", it really works and people see you more.

Tip 3: You don't have to write your books - so you have a great idea for a book, and you don't have the time to write it, you can head over to upwork.com and hire a ghost writer for $100 to help you out, you can hire freelancers to design your cover on fiverr.com and also if you are like me and you like an excellent work done, you can hire an editor to proofread and check your book, trust me, it works and gives your book an extra edge.

That's all for now, the next time I post I'll be talking about the secret formula to mega sales on kindle publishing.

I also have some free templates of the excel document i use to track my document also some screen shots i use for hiring freelancers, you can PM me for them.

What are some of the tips you use? share with us, also what websites do you publish on apart from amazon.

freely we give, freely we receive.

Till next time,

Dammy.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 11, 2016
How do you receive payment from Amazon?

1 Like

Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 9:20pm On Mar 11, 2016
Hi @dicefrost I have a payoneer account, which allows you to have a U.S. bank account and register as a seller on amazon KDP. Payoneer also shipped my mastercard directly to me, that way I can order online with that mastercard from the earnings as well and it works at any ATM.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 9:23pm On Mar 11, 2016
Also amazon operates two pricing structures:

70%
35%

70% allows you to earn a 70% of your royalties but you can only list your book from the price range $2.99-$9.99
35% allows you to earn 35% of your royalties, but you can only list your book s high as $200.

I will discuss pricing strategies later, especially when running a free promotion promo and how to take full advantage of the KDP select program
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by obanqua(m): 10:06pm On Mar 11, 2016
Cool.
More info

1 Like

Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by ugotex85: 1:41am On Mar 12, 2016
Bros go on, we are following.
I have the following questions:

1. How do I research and know hot-selling topics on Amazon Kindle?

2. I have a book already, but how do I format it to Kindle format before uploading it?

3. I already have a Payoneer card, how do I get the American Bank account that would enable me to earn from Kindle?

4. How best can one market his book to make it sell well?

1 Like

Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by Nobody: 3:33am On Mar 12, 2016
R
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 5:41am On Mar 12, 2016
Thanks guys, really appreciate the support.

@ugotex85 those are great questions:

1. How do I research and know hot-selling topics on Amazon Kindle?

First thing is to just model what works. Amazon has best sellers for each category, you can model (not directly copy) those books; the topics, the title, the design, the description (copy) and more. You can do it in a mechanical way, maybe have a spreadsheet where you put the name of the best seller titles and the links.

Another major thing I do to gauge the hotness of my topic is searching for the major keyword on amazon and seeing how the top books under that keyword are doing. So for example if I want to write on "Growing your business exponentially" my major keywords are business growth. I'll just type that under amazon and check out the books that pop out.
Questions to ask yourself:
a. How many copies have they sold
b. what's their ranking

You can also use google keywords to gauge the search strength for that topic, if a lot of people are searching for it, then you know you have a great book.

2. I have a book already, but how do I format it to Kindle format before uploading it

There are various formats you can use, but i will just discuss the one's I use.

a. If my manuscript does not have images i upload it as an html file
b. If my manuscript has images, i upload it as a mobi file.

a. If my manuscript does not have images i upload it as an html file:
Simply save your word document as an html web filtered document. under save as in microsoft word scroll to html web filtered doc and click save.
b. If my manuscript has images, i upload it as a mobi file.:
download the kindle previewer app to your desktop. Click open book to open your html document in the app (you have to convert to html first to use the kindle previewer). Once you open it make sure your document is closed in word, it will then convert to a mobi. version which you can upload on amazon.

There is quite A LOT that goes into formatting your manuscript, i might come to this later, but first let me answer your other questions.

3. I already have a Payoneer card, how do I get the American Bank account that would enable me to earn from Kindle?
All you need is your routing number, your account name, and bank number. login to your payoneer account online, click on global payment services and you will see all the information you need to register on amazon.

4. How best can one market his book to make it sell well?
I was actually saving this for my next post, but since you asked, I've noticed and the same goes for other authors that sales on amazon is directly related to reviews. the more reviews you can get for your book the more sales you can get.
I spoke about the secret formula for success in amazon. My personal formula is TR + TD = TS
TR - Total Reviews
TD - Total Downloads
TS - Total Sales
If you can rake up a lot of reviews especially during your initial promotion days and gather a lot of downloads, your book will sell a lot of copies.
All of this depends of course on you having a great product/great book in the first place, no one will buy a poorly written book, with terrible cover designs, you get my point. A great book is the koko, reviews, downloads and marketing are just the gas that adds flame to your sales.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 9:00pm On Mar 12, 2016
Hello guys,

A great tool I use to create my covers for my kindle books is canvadotcom.

Their eBook design templates are really good.

They have both free and premium templates.

The premium templates are a $1 each and they are really good.

If you are into social media marketing as well, canva is a great tool to use to design your covers.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by stifej: 9:43pm On Mar 12, 2016
Following
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2016
Formatting your manuscript for kindle publishing

So you have written your book and everything is ready. You are certain that it's going to be a word best seller, and now you have to upload it on amazon kindle.

So how do you get your bookr eady for publishing?

I'll just go through a few tips to watch out for.

BOOKMARKS:

You have to insert some book marks into your manuscript to make it very navigatable.
On microsoft word click on Insert, under bookmark. Add the following under names.

Insert "Title" on the Title page of your book
Insert "TOC" on the Table of contents section/page of your book
Insert "Start" on Chapter 1 page of your book.

Once you are through click Add.

INSERT TABLE OF CONTENTS

Head over to the page you would like to insert your table of contents. Under references click on table of contents. Then click on insert table of contents. Untick page numbers and insert.

HEADINGS1

Make sure your chapter headers are linkable to your table of contents page, click on the chapter header, highlight it, then under your homepage, click on heading 1 to make the highlighted chapter linkable on your table of contents.

That's just a few of the tips to make your book readable and optimised for kindle publishing.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by Zico0(m): 8:04pm On Mar 19, 2016
DamiAbandry, please I want to know about formatting books urgently. Can you say more on this?
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 11:01pm On Mar 21, 2016
Hi Zico,

Sorry Guys that I haven't posted in a while, I've been a bit busy working on my eighth book for publishing.

I'd like to know if anyone is implementing any of the steps I've mentioned above.

If you have any problems with any of the strategies I've mentioned above, just paste it in the thread and I will do my best to leave a message.

I'm a bit excited today, because someone posted an amazing review for a book of mine on linked in, you can check out the review here:
https://www./giving-compensation-creativity-george-anakwue?trk=hp-feed-article-title-like

Back to your question Zico.

Well on formatting your manuscript, I like to call it optimization of your book for best reading on kindle. Simply because you want people to read through your book from beginning to end.

I've mentioned a lot of tips already about inserting bookmarks, clickable table of contents and the rest of them. Check my previous posts.

What I will include is a few do not's

1. Do not pasts images into your manuscript. Images must be inserted in jpeg format and all images should align in the center
2. Do not use headers and footers in your manuscripts. When your book is converted to kindle format, the footer and header does not display well and it makes your book look unprofessional.
3. Do not use fancy typography, stick with the basics, arial, cambria, calibri.

That's all, now there's a lot to do when optimizing your book for sales, especially optimizing your book for future sales, In my book I talk about optimizing your book for future sales, building sales funnels within your book, building front and back end products, so that you are not just limited to publishing e-books, but you can branch into things like trainings and one on one clients.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 4:22pm On Mar 22, 2016
You can also send in your questions or whatsapp me on 08184308535, anything on kindle publishing, we can learn from each other.
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 7:29pm On May 20, 2017
Another weekly tip:

Your book is worth more than 99 cents

With all the competition, you’re told you have to price your book for 99 cents to sell it. As an entrepreneur, you goal is not to be priced at the bottom of the market. Understand the value you provide and price your book accordingly.
Books are generally greatly underpriced for the value they provide. Let everyone else chase the bottom while you enjoy more profit on the top.

Find out more here: http:///frx0w
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 9:04pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hello Everyone,

So i've just created a short free ebook for the guidelines to amazon publishing.

You can get it here: booksnigeria.com.ng
Re: Kindle Direct Publishing: Earn Dollars From Nigeria Through Self Publishing by DamiAbandry: 6:17pm On Sep 02, 2017
I have just launched a free video training that walks you through step by step on how to get your book on amazon, click here for the link:
https://booksnigeria.com.ng/amazon-training/

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want To Make $1000 plus monthly? then get this most wanted tools / Green Leaf Cockroach Powder For Sale / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.