Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,050 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities (36893 Views)

Faith Onyekachukwu Ojumah, McPherson University Best Graduating Student (Photo) / John Paul Nwaezeigwe Graduates With First Class From A Univesity In Canada. PICS / 4 Universities Approved To Run E-learning Degree Programmes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by ObiOmaMu: 6:51am On Mar 12, 2016
A young Nigerian lady, Mrs. Oluwamayo Ojumah has translated her 16-year old personal misfortunes into a success story.

After spending 16 years in pursuit of a university degree at four different universities within and outside Nigeria, she finally emerged with a First Class degree in Biochemistry at the University of Lagos.

Interestingly, making a First Class degree, did not come accidental to her, it was a decision taken
after several failed attempts at studying medicine and under the care of her pastor father, Mr. Johnson Ajibade, and her husband, Mr. Felix Ojumah, who is a Petroleum Engineer.

Feeling Saturday Vanguard in on the experience that saw her going from Ago Iwoye, United Kingdom, Okada, Lagos and nearly to Saint Kitts in the Americas for a university degree that was largely elusive for 16 years, she exclaimed;
‘’I am still in shock.”
Continuing, the obviously excited Ojumah, who recently had her convocation at the University of Lagos, UNILAG, flashed back recalling how her wasted years in pursuit of the degree paid off with a Cumulative Grade Point Average ,CGPA, of 4.51. Expounding this at her home in Lagos, she said:
‘’I left secondary school in 2004 and in that same year I got admission into Olabisi Onabanjo University ,OOU, for Applied Zoology and the agreement was that if I performed well they were going to transfer me to Medicine.
I had wanted to study Medicine. I didn’t really get the scope of the course, so I was not doing well. I think I left in 200 levels. So my parents said I should go abroad and study Medicine. Unfortunately it was quite expensive and I didn’t want to get them into those strains of providing that kind of finance every year. So, we reached an agreement to come back home and go to Igbinedion University, Okada. That was in 2009.
I went to the UK and came back. In the UK they were not ready to admit me to read Medicine. I needed to do a lot of courses before and then thinking about the financial implications I had to come back home. Since Igbenedion was better and they said they were going to allow me read Medicine, I came back home.
So, when I got to Igbenedion I was admitted into 200 levels with my transcript from OOU. I did 200 levels and 300 levels but at the level of my MB, I failed two courses, I passed Biochemistry and failed Anatomy and Physiology. By the time I did my resit, I think I failed Anatomy and failed physiology.
Ordinarily, many would opt out at this time, but Ojumah embraced the options that came her way.
‘’The option was either to repeat the class, take a transcript and go abroad either to Ukraine or to Saint Kits in the Americas,” she stated.
Considering that it would be less burdensome financially for her comfortable parents, she opted to go to Saint Kitts, an Island in the Americas formerly known as Saint Christopher.

‘’It was not as expensive like going to the UK. And just within that period while processing the passport; I had a little problem with immigration. It took a little while. Unfortunately, by the time I got my passport, the border had been closed. Unfortunately, my mother passed away in March 2011 and I couldn’t go abroad any more.

They wanted me to go and I told them that it did not make sense going abroad again. The only option was to go to University of Lagos. Now that was the fourth time of starting all over again and I did not want to sit for JAMB. The only option was to do the foundation programme from 2011 to 2012 after which I took Direct Entry into 200 levels.”

Narrating her experience at UNILAG, she said the disposition of her lecturers and students towards her were not outside the ordinary.
The Biochemistry lecturers of the University of Lagos are okay. They gave their best. At least I have been to other institutions and know the kind of things other students go through. My supervisor Dr. Lawal was supportive. The day I knew he was proud of me was the day he said I was graduating with a First Class. And when they discovered that I was married, I had a better relationship,” she added.

Asked if there were exceptional methods applied to achieve the feat, she said:

I didn’t just depend on class notes. I used Youtube and downloaded most things that had been taught from Youtube and I read a lot. I can read from 8pm to 6am. My husband was also supportive because I used to watch movies a lot but he ensured that I did not fail to read because of movies.

He would wake me up at night and even sometimes compel me to read. I read a lot, prayed a lot. In fact, I prayed like I was not reading and read like I was not reading. I am still in shock.

The summary of it all is that God saw me through. I think God just wanted to honour me. I did a lot of work. People are talking about me that I came out with a First Class after all I have been through. It feels great. I already knew I was going to get First Class in October when the results came out. I think I have been in shock until the day of graduation. I just don’t believe that this is me. I am not a genius. Some think I read a lot. People don’t remember my past stories, but I have a cause to thank God.”

On his part, her husband, Mr.Ojumah, explained that he ensured she didn’t lose sight of the fact that getting a First Class was a project.
It is actually great. For me it is like a dream come true. After we got married, my father in-law told me that I should make sure she comes out with a First Class. I called her to ask what it will take to get that. Looking at it, I just felt it is possible, that is why each time she comes to say she was tired I will tell her she is wasting her time.

I know there had been times when she felt we should drop the idea of First Class and settle for a 2.1 but I felt she was wasting her time. That is why I had to stop her from watching movie. Even when I will be watching a movie by the time she comes back I will stop. I felt we had a goal and must meet that goal.

One of the easiest ways to get to our goal was to stay focused. During examinations, I often told her to relax while I do the cooking. For me, it is like a dream come true. I never knew that people will find it inspiring because to so many it is like a challenge that having gone through all these, a married woman came out with a First Class.

We are happy that people, who feel that they can’t make it would find it encouraging. I just want to bless God for being there for us. The lesson for people is to stay focused and remain determined in spite of difficulties. Sometimes I had to keep her awake just to read not because I had examination to sit for. There is need for people to utilise any opportunity at their disposal to actualise their goal.”

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/03/married-woman-makes-first-class-from.html

31 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by HungerBAD: 6:53am On Mar 12, 2016
She try.

8 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Akkord4gov: 6:59am On Mar 12, 2016
This woman turned all the disappointment to blessing. I keep saying,no excuse for failure. Someone there yesterday said he failed because of his relationship with a girl(Florence) grin grin

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Fiwasayo(f): 7:08am On Mar 12, 2016
Waiting for her to trend like Olajumoke# cool

9 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 12, 2016
Inspiring.

@Lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 12, 2016
After spending 16 years in 4 Universities, it's only expected for her to be used to the system and scheme of work. Nothing other than a first class should be required of her.

Congrats to her though. grin grin

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by wiloy2k8(m): 7:55am On Mar 12, 2016
wonderful

3 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Kennitrust(m): 7:55am On Mar 12, 2016
grin Those who succeed are those who determined to hold on!
don't expect dreams to come true if u don't work toward it.
congratulations!

4 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by brunofarad(m): 7:56am On Mar 12, 2016
Hmmmmmm

This goes to show that there's no excuse for anyone not to succeed.
If a married woman could badge first class with all the combo of academic and family stress...

Last last grin

The guy above me is about to be banned grin

Pls MODs
Check the monicker very well oo before you mistake him for me.

Cos you people so much like my moniker grin

3 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by xboyelyusuf(m): 7:56am On Mar 12, 2016
Toh,Na #Godwin
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Kreamie(m): 7:56am On Mar 12, 2016
Talk about resilience and persistence which is a rare commodity in the present day Nigeria. These are the things that should be celebrated...Not mediocrity like olajumoke and co angry

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by SycophanticGoat: 7:56am On Mar 12, 2016
Work hard in unilag and you'll definitely make a first class. smiley wink

Except of cuz you're a dullard like our president... undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by TreasureTayo(m): 7:56am On Mar 12, 2016
Thats great!, LadyF COMMA SEE O.. SHE IS MARRIED, YOU WEY NEVA MARRY NKO grin grin grin grin

VickyRotex, OYA COME OUT NOW.. LMAOO

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 12, 2016
I just hope that she gets a good job so that her efforts would not be wasted. because without connections in nigeria first class is nothing.... this is really sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by slightlyMad(f): 7:58am On Mar 12, 2016
ObiOmaMu:
A young Nigerian lady, Mrs. Oluwamayo Ojumah has translated her 16-year old personal misfortunes into a success story.
After spending 16 years in pursuit of a university degree at four different universities within and outside Nigeria, she finally emerged with a First Class degree in Biochemistry at the University of Lagos.
Interestingly, making a First Class degree, did not come accidental to her, it was a decision taken
after several failed attempts at studying medicine and under the care of her pastor father, Mr. Johnson Ajibade, and her husband, Mr. Felix Ojumah, who is a Petroleum Engineer.
Feeling Saturday Vanguard in on the experience that saw her going from Ago Iwoye, United Kingdom, Okada, Lagos and nearly to Saint Kitts in the Americas for a university degree that was largely elusive for 16 years, she exclaimed;
‘’I am still in shock.”

feeling saturday or filling saturday, awon olodo

12 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by kobonaire(m): 7:59am On Mar 12, 2016
Pretty incredible story of perseverance.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by kennyman2000(m): 8:01am On Mar 12, 2016
congrats ma.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by mccoy47(m): 8:02am On Mar 12, 2016
The waka waka finally paid off grin

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Rijes: 8:02am On Mar 12, 2016
SycophanticGoat:
Work hard in unilag and you'll definitely make a first class. smiley wink Except of cuz you're a dullard like our president... undecided undecided
they are coming better wear a bashing helmet

3 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Brezil(m): 8:02am On Mar 12, 2016
This news is really silly.

2004 - 2016 is 12 years not 16 years. Who dashed her the extra four years?

17 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by datola: 8:03am On Mar 12, 2016
Congratulations madam and the tutorial master husband.

But this first class degree of an achievement is overrated in Nigeria.

In developed world people less care whether you scored first or second class.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by RockHard: 8:03am On Mar 12, 2016
Kudos to her. Experience they say is the best teacher. wink
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by SegunMike(m): 8:03am On Mar 12, 2016
Great feat. Nothing is impossible with determination,hard work and prayers.
But did she really wait for 16 years?....she finished secondary school 2004.

All the same' may God bless the efforts and works of our hands. AMEN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by chelseaboi(m): 8:03am On Mar 12, 2016
undecided
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by iniestar1(m): 8:03am On Mar 12, 2016
As laudable and impressive as it seems
All this was made possible by the availability of money
Guess most ppl dont av dat privilege tho
So congratulations to her.....
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by ThePeacemaker(m): 8:04am On Mar 12, 2016
She used 16 in 4 uni
and she's still young? ?? undecided
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by seunlayi(m): 8:05am On Mar 12, 2016
On

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by samx4real(m): 8:05am On Mar 12, 2016
This is a case of twice bitten...

once shy!

2 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by 0955eb027(m): 8:06am On Mar 12, 2016
so fast
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Forzap: 8:06am On Mar 12, 2016
So because of carry over u kon dey jump go other uni?not impressive @ all,congrat tho undecided
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by emeka2847: 8:07am On Mar 12, 2016
After failing to read Medicine!

Tomorrow she'll find her way to the hospital and begin to use JOHESU to equate her qualification to Medicine. I pity Nigeria.

But congrats for this powerful feat.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / EKSU VC, Edward Olanipekun's Son Graduates From UK University / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.