Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC (37256 Views)

The Battle For Senate Presidency: PDP Has The Upper-hand / NASS Crisis: Supremacy Belongs To The People, Not Party – Dogara / Accept Party Supremacy, Buhari Tells Senators, Reps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Rikidony(m): 6:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
This week South Africa's President Jacob Zuma visited Nigeria and stressed that Africa's two economic giants could work together. Relations have been fraught, not helped by South African deaths in a Nigerian pastor's building and a $5bn Nigerian fine for a South African phone company.

Here, two writers take a tongue-in-cheek look at how the nations see each other.

How us South Africans view Nigerians

Milton Nkosi, Johannesburg
The view of Nigerians by South Africans can be described as a form of sibling rivalry, at best.

South Africans generally see Nigerians as having a chip on their shoulder along with an over-confidence tinged with a bit of arrogance.

Each time there's a so-called 419 email scam involving strangers offering millions of dollars in exchange for banking details, locals here tend to blame it on the Nigerians.

That's even if there is no evidence of which country the scam originates from.

Stereotypically, problems such as organised crime - including drug lords and prostitution rings - are seen as a Nigerian import.

Newspapers were very critical of Nigeria when a church building collapsed in Lagos two years ago killing 106 people - 81 of them were South African.

Authorities in the capital Pretoria complained that the bodies were not repatriated quickly enough.

The current deadlock between South African telecoms giant company MTN and Nigerian authorities about the $5bn (£3.5bn) fine imposed by Nigeria sits comfortably amongst many other squabbles.

I think South Africans have never honestly accepted being leap-frogged by Nigeria to the number one spot as Africa's largest economy .

Until 2014 South Africa had always held the number one position.

So it came as some sort of relief to locals here, when data was released saying Johannesburg had more than twice as many dollar millionaires as Lagos.

The xenophobic attacks last year did not help the situation, even though no Nigerians who attacked specifically because of their nationality.

Nigeria recalled two diplomats after a row about visa restrictions, although both capitals denied that was the reason.
Sometimes it deteriorates to a level of frivolous accusations that Nigerian men who come into the country with the financial strength of hard currency take South African women from the local boys.

How us Nigerians view South Africans
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, Abuja
To many Nigerians, South Africa is the closest to the West that you can find on the African continent.

The country's shops could be mistaken for those found on Oxford Street in London.
Its roads are smooth and wide.
And its climate gives your complexion that peculiar glow which lets everyone back home know, without your having to boast, that you have just returned from abroad.
All this makes South Africa the holiday destination of choice for many Nigerians whenever an American or British visa is proving too hard to get.

And so, it is with sadness that Nigeria watches as South Africa regresses in ways that were previously associated with other African countries, such as frequent electricity outages.

If they succeed in ruining their country, where else in Africa shall we seek a similar haven whenever the West doesn't want us?
Although, to be honest, our sadness is tinged with a good dose of schadenfreude.
Nigerians feel that South Africans hate us, even if their hatred is of a paradoxical kind.
They hate us for our "swagger", our ability to command instant attention by hook or crook.

They hate us for being the walking, living proof that colour of skin is not a sufficient deterrent to economic success in post-apartheid South Africa.

They hate us for our smartness and sharpness, which sometimes leads to the swiping of a few hundred thousand rand.
On the other hand, they love our musicians and Nollywood actresses and pastors.
And their women keep getting swept off their feet by our men.

Nigerians feel that many South Africans would rather we were tipped off the edge of the continent, leaving them to take the stage as Africa's one and only beautiful bride.

But, like wise co-wives in polygamous arrangements all over the world, Nigerians know that we must learn to live with them.
After all, there is more than enough space in Africa for the two countries and their peoples to shine.

Who wins the numbers game?

Biggest economy : Nigeria wins, with a GDP of $568.5bn in 2014 compared to $350.1bn in South Africa

Most millionaires in one city: South Africa wins with 23,400 in Johannesburg, compared to 9,100 in Lagos

Most people: Nigeria wins by quite a bit with 177.5 million people compared to 54 million in South Africa

Most educated: All South Africans go to primary school compared to 85% of Nigerians

Longest lives: South Africans live longer, with a life expectancy of 57 years compared to 52 for Nigerians

Sources: World Bank, AfrAsia Bank

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35763121

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Last2comment(m): 6:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
angry
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Rikidony(m): 6:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
if this two can work together Africa will be great.
lalasticlala seun

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by tsephanyah(f): 6:08pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nigeria is not near south Africa

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by yashau(m): 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nigeria my country!

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by nickxtra(m): 6:14pm On Mar 13, 2016
Naija, better by far.

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by forgiveness: 6:15pm On Mar 13, 2016
Is it not normal?
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 13, 2016
Walahi, I don't blame the south Africans at all. if not for Gej who fvcked us up several times last year during the Mandela burial and the illegal money laundering scandal, as well as our brothers from we-know-where who like carrying drugs upandan, why will South Africa, whom we helped liberate from apartheid some few years ago be making yanga at us.

issorite.

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
Over 62million Nigerians are using mtn which is even more than the total population of south Africa.

Naija hmm

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by SleekMallam: 6:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
In terms of mega watts of energy generated and transmitted? Anyone?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by thesicilian: 6:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
I love South Africa, I think I'll rather live there than Nigeria. Although to be fair, if not for the whites, I'm sure South Africa would be much less developed than even Nigeria's abysmal state today

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Tunami(m): 6:46pm On Mar 13, 2016
bbc forgot to note that nigeria is greater than south africa in terms of corruption, child marriage, militancy, fraud, fulani killers, terrorism etc all this also includes what makes us the giant of africa.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by omowolewa: 7:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
S/Africa is great, great enough to be Nigerians' haven

The unpleasant part of it is that S/Africa is gradually loosing it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Ayoola171(m): 7:01pm On Mar 13, 2016
Africa is our father's land, Nigeria is my Country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by mrvitalis(m): 7:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
Believe me if u take the average statistics of southern Nigeria it will be very close to south Africa if not better
The north keep pulling us back

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by lekjons(m): 7:11pm On Mar 13, 2016
mrvitalis:
Believe me if u take the average statistics of southern Nigeria it will be very close to south Africa if not better
The north keep pulling us back
on point! e go better for you!!

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by ikeg7416: 7:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
I'm not even south African and I feel insulted for them that BBC had the audacity to compare south Africa to Nigeria. What an insult to South Africa. Even comparing Somaliato Nigeria is an insult to Somalia. There's not BBB one country in Africa Nigeria is on their level, not one. ****

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by prelinctus: 8:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
Sadly, as long as whites are still in South Africa, they'll forever remain miles above Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by allanphash7(m): 8:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
SA senior 9ja in all ramification

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by shachris02: 8:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
there's really no comparism.
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Cutezt(m): 8:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
I will rather live in SA than Nigéria with this current situation

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by carbony4red(m): 9:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
Igi imu jina si ori ooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by bunmioguns(m): 9:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
cool
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
The west is our problem, always looking for ways to cause problems and rivalry plus hatred between Africans, why the comparison?, why not find similarities between these two nations to unite them.
White people are just Devi.ls.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 13, 2016
Another "Zenophobia"

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Soreza(m): 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
TRUTH BE TOLD,NIGERIA VE EVERY RESOURCES, POWER, NATURAL RESOURCES, MAN POWER TO BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD BUT OUR LEADERS DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, I FIND IT QUITE FUNNY THAT NIGERIANS COMPARE THEMSELVES TO SOUTH AFRICA,LIKE REALLY??THIS IS A COUNTRY AMONG G20,HOSTED WORLD CUP, INFRASTRUCTURALLY AHEAD, HOW MANY SOUTH AFRICANS DO WE MEET DAILY ON THE STREET go to south Africa then u see millions of Nigerians and many more dreaming of going to south Africa, south Africa generates 50000mw,Nigeria rejoice at 5000 then it falls below 2000 the next day,Our currency is useless compare to theirs, so what really are Nigerians bragging about? NIGERIA SHOULD DO THIER HOME WORK RESPECT IS EARNED NOT DEMANDED.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by crownwealth: 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
Ioannes:
[s]Walahi, I don't blame the south Africans at all. if not for Gej who fvcked us up several times last year during the Mandela burial and the illegal money laundering scandal, as well as our brothers from we-know-where who like carrying drugs upandan, why will South Africa, whom we helped liberate from apartheid some few years ago be making yanga at us.

issorite[/s].

Zombistic disease is eating people's brain since May 29th 2015.

I blame Jonathan. embarassed

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by onunwa21(m): 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nigeria pls don't be like Chelsea

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by merits(m): 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
ikeg7416:
I'm not even south African and I feel insulted for them that BBC had the audacity to compare south Africa to Nigeria. What an insult to South Africa. Even comparing Somaliato Nigeria is an insult to Somalia. There's not BBB one country in Africa Nigeria is on their level, not one. That useless country is a blemish in the face of Africa. I wish Boko Haram would just get rid of it already
You need 55 strokes of cane lashing under hot sun. angry

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Christane: 9:04pm On Mar 13, 2016
South africa completely outmatch nigeria ..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by mavinc4u(f): 9:05pm On Mar 13, 2016
Ioannes:
Walahi, I don't blame the south Africans at all. if not for Gej who fvcked us up several times last year during the Mandela burial and the illegal money laundering scandal, as well as our brothers from we-know-where who like carrying drugs upandan, why will South Africa, whom we helped liberate from apartheid some few years ago be making yanga at us.

issorite.

do the needful. you are wasting a space.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges / Atiku, PDP Asking Us For Server That We Don’t Have, INEC Tells / Throwback Video Of the Ikotun-Igando Road Commissioned By Tinubu In 2001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.