Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. (12552 Views)

Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? / My Experience With HIV Testing Today. / Clinical Psychologist In The House: Free Psychological Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. by Nobody: 3:41am On May 26, 2019
PaulThor:

Even telecommunication agents are a lot calmer and more approachable.. Let alone a counsellor. It's most unfortunate. If she doesn't like getting disturbed on Sundays, nothing stops her from saying
"why don't we talk about this tomorrow? I have enough office hours and I promise its going to be interesting."
A counsellor never shows his or her anger. That makes you a professional..

Thanks for this...
Re: A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. by Joshxeathzee(m): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2019
Well, that seem to be a major problem in this line of work, therapist seem to forget the basic rule, they should be able to control their emotions, their clients are not responsible for anything they are going through.
Also I think she fought that client or not everyone is entitled to his/her opinions.
Now that theory is a bit old. And a lot of people actually go with it and that lady is just one of the few people who have a very different view about the work of nature when it comes to the place of sex.
Professionalism should have come first whenever you are dealing with a client no matter your line of work.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. by DrRosemary2019(f): 12:15pm On Jun 07, 2020
So sorry that you had that kind of experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you as a client asking a question or expressing your perception during a session because an important part of the therapeutic interaction is for you to get clarification irrespective of whether you are paying or enjoying a free session. If your session is not enough to respond to all your questions, the ideal thing would be to schedule a follow up session and let you know if you would need to pay for that session or not. It is not right to let one's emotions lose on a client and I apologise for that. I am a counsellor but I have colleagues who are psychologists and they are really good. Please, do not stick to the impression that all psychologists or mental health professionals in Nigeria would act in the same way.

As for the opinion you needed clarification about, sex is still a biological need even though the Freudian theory may be several years back. Human physiological development has not changed. This is why children who have attained puberty will still exhibit the physical characteristics of sexual development and experience sexual attraction, urge, etc. For instance, a boy that has attained puberty will naturally wake up in the morning with an erection. Girls will menstruate once they attain this stage. Both boys and girls , once they have attained puberty, will at some point experience a need for sexual or physical intimacy ( not necessarily sex but a sexual kind of closeness to someone) though the time may vary from one person to the other. This will happen biologically irrespective of whether they are exposed to information or not ( though exposure can influence the age of sexual experimentation). Puberty is the basis for human sexual development and sexual need or impulse which is biological.

However, some schools of thought have argued that the sex need is not in the same category of needs with the basic survival needs such as food, air, water , without which we cannot survive for long.
Research has shown that the need for sex can be controlled and individuals can in fact chose whether they want it at all or not unlike food, water, air which no one has much choice about. I guess this is the point the psychologist was trying to make when she said it is a "want" and not a "need".

When it comes to relationship, it is essential that you and your partner discuss this subject ( sex) to ascertain that you are on the same page even at the beginning of your relationship in order to prevent conflicts arising from it. For instance, your partner may view sex as a need while you view it as a want and this can cause conflicts.
Shalom

Dr. Rosemary.
Re: A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. by Pavore9: 4:24am On Jun 29, 2020
DrRosemary2019:
So sorry that you had that kind of experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you as a client asking a question or expressing your perception during a session because an important part of the therapeutic interaction is for you to get clarification irrespective of whether you are paying or enjoying a free session. If your session is not enough to respond to all your questions, the ideal thing would be to schedule a follow up session and let you know if you would need to pay for that session or not. It is not right to let one's emotions lose on a client and I apologise for that. I am a counsellor but I have colleagues who are psychologists and they are really good. Please, do not stick to the impression that all psychologists or mental health professionals in Nigeria would act in the same way.

As for the opinion you needed clarification about, sex is still a biological need even though the Freudian theory may be several years back. Human physiological development has not changed. This is why children who have attained puberty will still exhibit the physical characteristics of sexual development and experience sexual attraction, urge, etc. For instance, a boy that has attained puberty will naturally wake up in the morning with an erection. Girls will menstruate once they attain this stage. Both boys and girls , once they have attained puberty, will at some point experience a need for sexual or physical intimacy ( not necessarily sex but a sexual kind of closeness to someone) though the time may vary from one person to the other. This will happen biologically irrespective of whether they are exposed to information or not ( though exposure can influence the age of sexual experimentation). Puberty is the basis for human sexual development and sexual need or impulse which is biological.

However, some schools of thought have argued that the sex need is not in the same category of needs with the basic survival needs such as food, air, water , without which we cannot survive for long.
Research has shown that the need for sex can be controlled and individuals can in fact chose whether they want it at all or not unlike food, water, air which no one has much choice about. I guess this is the point the psychologist was trying to make when she said it is a "want" and not a "need".

When it comes to relationship, it is essential that you and your partner discuss this subject ( sex) to ascertain that you are on the same page even at the beginning of your relationship in order to prevent conflicts arising from it. For instance, your partner may view sex as a need while you view it as a want and this can cause conflicts.
Shalom

Dr. Rosemary.

Like your submission.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. by flexit: 3:26pm On Aug 10, 2020
DrRosemary2019:

Shalom

Dr. Rosemary.

You just summed it all up. Thank you for that contribution. Some Nigerians just like to complain about everything without looking at the crux of the matter.
There is a website for counsellors in Nigeria and their services can be reviewed and rated as well. Just like how uber rates their drivers or how airbnb rates their hosts - www.truthshare.com.ng
Re: A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. by mindengrave(m): 5:44pm On May 24, 2022
You can trust Arogi Trauma Care Foundation

https://mindengrave.africa/listing/free-counseling-and-therapy-at-arogi-trauma-care-foundation/

This foundation gives therapy and counseling FREE. You will not spend a dime. They have a dedicated TOLL FREE line that will take care of your call expenses. And if you are scheduled for physical therapy session, all you have to spend is your transport fare.

Trust me you can take my word to the bank.

(1) (2) (Reply)

AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn / COVID-19: Doctors Threaten Indefinite Strike Over Working Conditions / Belly Fat After Giving Birth-what Will I Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.