Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate (12432 Views)

Police Carted Away 2017 Budget Documents, Goje Tells Senate / You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate / Your Letter Didn’t Say I Should Appear In Uniform, Ali Tells Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by missionmex(m): 4:17pm On Mar 16, 2016
There is sence in this piece.

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by LadyExcellency: 4:20pm On Mar 16, 2016
Whatever bill that doesn't capture my husband bearing my father's name or mine as surname is nonsense and still maintains the notion that this is a man's world.

TonyeBarcanista, marry me and bear my father's name with our children.

Secondly, I will appreciate our family house be built in my father's compound while I be the contact person for family correspondents.

This is the type of equality that will gladden my heart.

2 Likes

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Rukkydelta(f): 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2016
Mtcheeew
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Ralphdan(m): 4:29pm On Mar 16, 2016
What kind of nonsense bill is that?this is Africa not Europe or America.
Equal ku equal ni.
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by pee777(m): 4:32pm On Mar 16, 2016
ademoladeji:
Very funny but the truth is that we men are afraid of women.

We are both equal in the eyes of God.

Same way we were given birth to.

In fact, women shld be superior to we men. They go thru a lot much more than us.

I twale for all the responsible women!!!

Dont say what you don't know, go to heaven first, verify and come back to tell us the real situation.
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Ralphdan(m): 4:33pm On Mar 16, 2016
LadyExcellency:
Whatever bill that doesn't capture my husband bearing my father's name or mine as surname is nonsense and still maintains the notion that this is a man's world.

TonyeBarcanista, marry me and bear my father's name with our children.

Secondly, I will appreciate our family house be built in my father's compound while I be the contact person for family correspondents.

This is the type of equality that will gladden my heart.

Lmao. Relax and wait for it maybe in the next millennium who knows where u will be by then but am sure you will not be here.
Better still think of it before sleeping @night perhaps you will dream of it.
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Dareabiala(m): 4:33pm On Mar 16, 2016
In law everyone is equal...so I don't understand why there's need for this bill. Moreover, in my own opinion I believe women are more empowered than men. Go to banks and other industries today,it is dominated by women maybe few men hold strategic positions. Abeg men sef need empowerment n gender equality...esp male graduates.
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by tartarus(m): 4:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
modath:

Nope, it is problem that is everywhere, it is a sad situation but it isn't peculiar to this clime the only thing is that Nigerians can be overt & not be afraid of any fallout......

Most of us that are being emotional forget that the ultra successful Linda Ikeji, Very successful Genieveve Nnaji , Rita Dominic et are ridiculed for being manless despite not being an albatross to anyone, & not even taking into cognizance if these women don't want to be married as declared by Bimbo Akintola...

We live in a country where a woman's worth is defined by who she is linked with, a country where abused women are advised to stick it out or pray because divorce is an anathema in our culture...

We live in a country where women who dare to speak against established orders have the stability of their homes , familial life & their virtues called into question , labelled as harridans & unladylike for being fearless ...

Women drivers get called names simply because they don't allow some disgruntled souls take their lanes in traffic...

No, the Senators are not Peculiar, it is a general menace.

Finally someone actually gets it.
Most people (nigerian men in particular) don't even know what gender equality is about, they're just eager to use this as an opportunity to bash women as usual.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by modath(f): 5:03pm On Mar 16, 2016
tartarus:

Finally someone actually gets it.
Most people (nigerian men in particular) don't even know what gender equality is about, they're just eager to use this as an opportunity to bash women as usual.

People talk about gender equality / female empowerment as if they are talking about a commodity that you can purchase or discard at will!!

It's first a mind soul conditioning before all other indices can fall in place...

Some people have been convulsing about senators paying lip service to equality while the widows of their late relatives were chased out of their late husband's houses with their daughters simply because " Tradition" forbids female inheritance"...

If a man & a woman meet in an organization that frowns at married couples in the same work environment, fall in love with each other & then decide to get married, the question of who resigns doesn't even come up, it's a foregone conclusion that it's the woman otherwise adjectives like "greedy", "insensitive" "disrespectful" etc will come into fray. ...

People should just gerrarhia with their nonsensical hypocritical posturing!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by cococandy(f): 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2016
According to the senate,
It goes against sharia.

What does that tell you?

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by menxer: 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2016
drss:
wetin una expect according to zoo principle (jungle law) all animals ar not equal. nigerian senators ar just obeying d law of d zoo.

Nope!

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

But which gender equality are they talking about sef, these days, no be woman on top pure pass? abi dem never put am for constitution? grin
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by cococandy(f): 5:12pm On Mar 16, 2016
Nigerian women sorry o. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by AleAirHub(m): 5:18pm On Mar 16, 2016
ademoladeji:

In fact, women shld be superior to we men. They go thru a lot much more than us.

Really

Which imply my mum should be superior to my dad

Dmm It

God Reject Tha
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by ademoladeji(m): 5:22pm On Mar 16, 2016
pee777:

Dont say what you don't know, go to heaven first, verify and come back to tell us the real situation.

I don't know what to tell you buh go check any of the scriptures of God n come back to prove me wrong.

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by ademoladeji(m): 5:23pm On Mar 16, 2016
AleAirHub:

Really

Dmm It
Yeah! Really
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by lastpage: 5:30pm On Mar 16, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Frontline Abuja politician and women rights activists, Ms Enna Itodo, wondered why a Senate that got the mandate of mostly women voters would reject a bill which was meant to secure the dignity of the women folks.

Well, maybe the "majority women" should not vote for them in the next election..... if that your assertion is actually not "made-up". undecided

According to Itodo " The bill was meant to ensure equal rights with men in marriages, education and employment, i dont see any problem with that. With our history, this had become compelling in view of increasing discrimination against women in education and employment. In the United States, top corporate executives, and top producers in Hollywood, are trying to fix pay disparity between men and women"

First these hideous women need to be very specific about these "discriminations" they are talking about:

*Take Employment for example: There are so many hard working women who are C.E.O's of industries today, Who are Senators, Ministers, Judges, e.t.c. Did "some men" stop them from reaching such zenith...... or did some women help them (because they got " chest Bossoms"wink to get to that point?
Are we saying all these Women who are CEO's, who are Senators, Heads of Service, Ministers, e.t.c in Nigeria today, got to their current position on the basis of having TWO BOSSOMS on their chest? ...(or by dint of Hardwork?)
That would be insulting to such women.

I think these women are intelligent, more educated, more competitive, than their average Men....and that is how they got to where they are.

The Greedy "women activist/Feminist" should emulate them and stop whining

*Lets look at Education, as another example : Women make up the larger population of students in all our Schools! Who puts them in these Schools if not their fathers?
[/b] So how can we say the same father is discriminating against his girl-child?
In some Eastern states, you would actually be right by asking that Laws be made to encourage "Boy-child" into education because the girl-child makes up about 70% of the school population. [/b]
So who is suffering inequality here, if we are to be honest?

*Take marriage as another example: First, are these Women saying it is Women who should marry Men, pay the man's Bride price and make the Man change their surname to the surname (probably Mother's name! shocked ) of the Wife?
I know its beginning to sound freaky and stew.wpid!!
grin
Are they saying it is the woman that must be obliged to "put down house-keeping money" while the man becomes the "house-husband", taking good care of the children and would probably have to fashion a way to breast-feed them? shocked

What is this "equality in marriage" all about, when both have different "COMPLIMENTARY FUNCTIONS" they are supposed to perform,
to make the marriage work and be successful? I am sure this is not what these evil women are agitating for.... [b]so what can it be?

l gerrit! Its all about GREED!

Its all about "Properties and Money" within the marriage!
The Man should work for the properties, build the houses but Laws need to be passed now so that Women can seize such properties and Money from them, when ever the woman thinks she is fed-up with the marriage".
Hurray! We finally "unboxed" the HIDDEN AGENDA! Its all about GREED.

There are also those Women who are just "Men Haters" (They call themselves Women activists and Feminist), these sort of Women are only happy when a man is subjected to humiliation!
That is their sole agenda: EMASCULATE and HUMILIATE MEN.

Itodo said further " Are they telling me it is okay for a widow to be subjected to sundry inhuman treatments, be deprived because the husband is gone. It happens daily. The bill wants to protect widows, ensure they become guardians of children, have the right to remarry whoever they desire not compelled to marry her late husband's brother, share in[b] inheritance, inherit[/b] what she nad her husband worked hard to aquire"

There are already Laws in place, to protect a woman from any imagined "inhuman treatment, in a marriage". Its either a criminal issue (in which case the law courts are there to prosecute the perpetrators, like they would prosecute any Nigerian who commits an offence, Male or female)...
..or it is a civil matter which there are also Laws in place, when it comes to marriage.

The Marriage Act is an embodiment of Laws written to protect mostly women, in marriage.
They can seek out a Divorce, to opt out of a marriage they dont like anymore, so they have no excuse.... .
but what they want and still cannot (and probably will never get) is to try and force all men to do a "Registry Marriage under the Act". Any sane man will be very weary nowadays, to mary a woman under such Act because it obviously "endangers the man", going forward.

Rather than seek to legislate and give women unprecedented powers over their male counterpart (Powers which are being abused in the Western world today, to humiliate the same men who foolishly supported them to pass such laws!), all men should be encouraged to MAKE A WILL and make your wife your next-of-kin..... depending on the level of relationship you enjoyed with her, close to your death
Women should also follow suit, making their own WILL and making their Husband their next-of-kin.
With such, extended family-members, most of which unfortunately are also women, will have little or no influence in the assets of the dead spouse.

No one forces women to "marry their dead-husbands" brother anymore, these days! Even Men of these days find it very abhorring!

Women should stop using such dirty and cheap tactics, to further what they are really after. Women should comecout openly and be honest about their intentions.

But that is not what women want. They dont want anything that is "fair to the man". ITS ALL ABOUT "GREED-FUELLED" INHERITANCE and INHERITING matter!
What they want is a set of laws that put the "Male" at their mercy, laws they can use to humiliate and harass men-folks and generally turn them to "fearful wimps". Its NEVER gonna happen. Men need to wise-Up
!

I know Nigerian men are generally loving to a good wife ( a few bad eggs here and there though)... but in general, a Nigerian man would do anything for his wife but Men need to be aware that Women are generally smarter and they plan "long term"!

This has nothing to do with EQUALITY, it is a subtle and surreptitious method at undermining men, humiliate and emasculate them in the long run.
Be nice to women, treat them right, pamper them, let them have their dues anywhere and on anything but NEVER GIVE-IN to FEMINIST BLACKMAIL.

The rejection in the Senate has nothing to do with Sharia or Islam....... it is a case of "Smart Men" coming together with "Decent, Hardworking, Competitive and Enterprising women", to thwart the evil devices of GREEDY and EVIL FEMINIST-WOMEN who want to reap where they did not sow.

Kudos to Nigerian women of such pedigree.

Lastpage!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by lastpage: 5:39pm On Mar 16, 2016
modath:

People talk about gender equality / female empowerment as if they are talking about a commodity that you can purchase or discard at will!!

It's first a mind soul conditioning before all other indices can fall in place...

If a man & a woman meet in an organization that frowns at married couples in the same work environment, fall in love with each other & then decide to get married, the question of who resigns doesn't even come up, it's a foregone conclusion that it's the woman otherwise adjectives like "greedy", "insensitive" "disrespectful" etc will come into fray. ...

People should just gerrarhia with their nonsensical hypocritical posturing!!!

You are actually the Hypocrite because l know you are smarter than what you wrote!

At the bolded: The decision on "Who resigns" is based on:

1.) Who earns higher at the moment in that organisation
2.) Who occupies a better post
3.) Who has the most chance of progression in that organisation
4.) Who has the best chances of getting another job easier, in the shortest time.

In most cases, "men SEEK AND marry their juniors" (WOMEN GENERALLY FROWN AT A "JUNIOR MAN" DARING TO OPEN HIS MOUTH AND TRY ANY LOVEY-LOVEY ISSUE WITH THEM! grin ) .............and if you factor in the above reasons, you will find that it is usually the woman who should seek employment (the Man is in a higher position and even uses his clout to help her get another job) in another organisation.

It is an ECONOMIC DECISION made by both would-be spouses, to the betterment of themselves. It has nothing to do with GENDER.

Grow-Up please.

Lastpage!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by banmee(m): 6:47pm On Mar 16, 2016
fowlyansh181:
women and men are not and will never be eqaul.. women are women , men are men

We are not talking of size here. We are talking about the rights and opportunity to pursue whatever dreams or ambitions a woman has and not be hindered by prejudices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by SUPERPACK: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2016
banmee:

We are not talking of size here. We are talking about the rights and opportunity to pursue whatever dreams or ambitions a woman has and not be hindered by prejudices.
example of the dreams?
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Heffalump(m): 6:51pm On Mar 16, 2016
This bill if passed, would have seen the destruction of many marriages. If you give African woman one step, she will take two if not three.

@Senate, thanks for the wise deal!!

@Miss Itodo, sorry this could be the reason why you are still a miss at 55. God separated the duties of Eve from Adam right from inception!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by johnson232: 6:58pm On Mar 16, 2016
ademoladeji:

how? be explicit...
Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by ademoladeji(m): 7:01pm On Mar 16, 2016
johnson232:

how? be explicit...

Just a simple one: Try witness (since you cannot experience) child birth process.

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 16, 2016
banmee:

Please give examples of legal prejudices hindering women's rights and opportunities to pursue dreams and ambition.

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by johnson232: 7:24pm On Mar 16, 2016
ademoladeji:

Just a simple one: Try witness (since you cannot experience) child birth process.

have u ever seen a teacher floging a male and female student of same age?
u need to see how the female student dramatize the pain by screaming aloud....

if child birth is all u got,am sorry your point is lame and bias....

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by johnson232: 7:27pm On Mar 16, 2016
banmee:

how are women hindered from achieving their goals?

women have the highest population in virtually all the universities in this country...

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by banmee(m): 7:33pm On Mar 16, 2016
Timbuktou:

Please give examples of legal prejudices hindering women's rights and opportunities to pursue dreams and ambition.

johnson232:

how are women hindered from achieving their goals?

women have the highest population in virtually all the universities in this contry...

SUPERPACK:
example of the dreams?

I can't believe i have to explain this. Nigeria is a country where it is legal to marry a 13 year old. Nigeria is a country where the divorce laws does not protect women. I could go on and on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by ademoladeji(m): 8:01pm On Mar 16, 2016
johnson232:

have u ever seen a teacher floging a male and female student of same age?
u need to see how the female student dramatize the pain by screaming aloud....

if child birth is all u got,am sorry your point is lame and bias....

Bring smthg as harsh as child birth... If there's none, go ask a mother to tell you how it's like to give birth.

Also, I'd like to say, by default, women are more compassionate than men.

Well, I'm not gonna go more than these. I've not asked you to cave in because it's just my opinion

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 16, 2016
I need to ask a question.

What impact will gender equality bill have on the supposed gender disparity?

A similar amendment exists in the US Constitution yet the disparity still exists.

Why do women think that a legislation is what they need.

The bitter truth everyone is failing to realize is, even if you do decide to put a death penalty to female gender discrimination, women would always still feel they are in that position. The ones who would be discriminated would still be.

This situation is akin to saying you want to eradicate death. Its humanly impossible. It will continue to happen no matter what you do.

Gen 3:16 has the whole explanation as to why this will continue to happen. Only God can make it stop.

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate by SUPERPACK: 9:13pm On Mar 16, 2016
ademoladeji:

Bring smthg as harsh as child birth... If there's none, go ask a mother to tell you how it's like to give birth.

Also, I'd like to say, by default, women are more compassionate than men.

Well, I'm not gonna go more than these. I've not asked you to cave in because it's just my opinion
child birth was never painful. it became painful after God cursed adam and eve.
Genesis 3:16
To the woman he said, "I will make your pains in childbearing very severe with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
so the curse also makes it impossible for man and woman to be equal

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Owes Road Contractors N2.7trn, Says Fashola / I Worked Against Release Of Ganduje Bribe Videos— Kwankwaso / Using Pictures Of Fake Soldiers To Promote Insecurity Is IPOB Propaganda - Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.