Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,799 members, 7,827,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki (8856 Views)

Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians / Rejection Of Gender Equality Bill: You Are Wrong, Itodo Tells Senate / Senate's Rejection Of The Gender Equality Bill: Nigerians React On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Gentleveks(m): 9:10am On Mar 17, 2016
gbeymey:
Why are men scared of women Lolz. See dem Screaming like babies cos of an ordinary equality bill using religion and traditions as coverup SMH.
go pass am into law now shor anybody stop you? Wetin una dey look 4 na how una go slap or hit man em go come leave una try am with me now i go beat shege comot your body.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by filani(m): 9:10am On Mar 17, 2016
Adaure4ever:
What we want is for women to be given a chance to achieve their dreams esp. In the nation politics, the dominance of the menfolk is strong.
A women should be Nigeria vice president come 2019.
All the same, men are first in creation and woman was created from a man ribs, so submission is okay but submission should not be turned into slavery.

@ aduare

As a guy with a mother & sisters, I have no issues with women in general Going after thier dreams but I have an issue with any individual male or female telling me that I owe XYZ or should give XYZ to person A just because person A is a woman.

That is classic Entitlement mentality.

Lets take the statement you made above for example.
'A woman should be Vice President in 2019'

A Woman should be Vice President because....what? Is she an accomplished individual? Did she hit the campaign trail to showcase her smarts, her understanding of relevant issues in the country, her vision for nigerians as a whole?

No....lets just make a woman Vice President because....she's a woman. :/

Any woman who ascends to the number two position in the land based on such flawed thinking will merely be a puppet, even worse a useless puppet... to be seen by women & 'equal rights' advocates but rarely if ever heard.

Women in naija will be served better by advocating for Quality women in our goverment rather than Quantity of no brains girls in sensitive positions.

just my 2 kobo.

4 Likes

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Gentleveks(m): 9:19am On Mar 17, 2016
When i know say that bill no go work for nigeria was when enugu HOA no pass am south east wey get plenty feminist eno work there, if una like carry am go heaven eno go work

2 Likes

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 17, 2016
filani:

@ aduare

As a guy with a mother & sisters, I have no issues with women in general Going after thier dreams but I have an issue with any individual male
or female telling me that I owe XYZ or should give XYZ to person A just because person A is a woman.

A Woman should be Vice President because....what? Is she an accomplished individual? Did she hit the campaign trail to showcase her smarts, her understanding of relevant issues in the country, her vision for nigerians as a whole?

Any woman who ascends to the number two position in the land based on such flawed thinking will merely be a puppet, even worse a useless puppet... to be seen by women & 'equal rights' advocates but rarely if ever heard.

Women in naija will be served better by advocating for Quality women in our goverment rather than Quantity of no brains girls in sensitive positions.

just my 2 kobo.
thankz for the intelligent input.

2 Likes

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by missjahiniekpe(f): 9:21am On Mar 17, 2016
SUPERPACK:
God never created man and woman to be equal.
Neither has God given anybody a go ahead to dominate another person, before God, we are all equal.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by onoja12: 9:25am On Mar 17, 2016
For the love of God there is nothing like gender equality,Man is man and woman is woman,all are different .just like saying a mango is equally to an orange.they are all fruits but different.women naturally have rights and roles so do men.it is auto setting that men protect women .so anybody who comes to you calming gender equality that person is a gay right activist and one of the ways of knowing is they claim gender rights but when you ask them you would discover they are not about gender equality but rather about one of the two genders only
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by plendil: 9:26am On Mar 17, 2016
Adaure4ever:
What we want is for women to be given a chance to achieve their dreams esp. In the nation politics, the dominance of the menfolk is strong.
All the same, men are first in creation and woman was created from a man ribs, so submission is okay but submission should not be turned into slavery.

@bolded, I totally agree, but only if she merits it when compared with other candidates (including male), and not on the sole basis that she's a woman.

It troubles me you ladies don't appreciate the irony - you claim women are not inferior but you want special treatment.

My immediate supervisor, a bastion of knowledge, courage and superb intellect is female,and she got that position strictly on merit and not any silly sentiment. In fact, as she confided in me, one of her dreaded fears will be comments like "you were given that position just because you are female, not because you are actually good". I'm not sure any lady worth her salt will also like to hear that.

You want a position, WORK FOR IT, on a fair, even playing ground. If at any time during the process you notice discrimination on the basis of gender, then it can be taken up.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by missjahiniekpe(f): 9:27am On Mar 17, 2016
Acidosis:
That bill should never be passed without addressing and modifying some key points in the bill.
e.g.

"a widow shall have equitable share in the inheritances of her late husband."

This for instance is an unclear and controversial provision.

What is clear is that her husband's siblings should throw her and her children out of the house and claim all she labored with her husband all through her life abi?

2 Likes

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by onoja12: 9:28am On Mar 17, 2016
You have said it all,well spoken

filani:

@ aduare

As a guy with a mother & sisters, I have no issues with women in general Going after thier dreams but I have an issue with any individual male
or female telling me that I owe XYZ or should give XYZ to person A just because person A is a woman.

just my 2 kobo.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by missjahiniekpe(f): 9:30am On Mar 17, 2016
seunaj:
As much as I don't support gender discrimination. Absolute gender equality is a philosophy according to the Americans. Neither the Bible nor the Quran preaches total gender equality. The bill could be modified to protect the girl child and prevent such occurrences like Ese's instead of adopting a gospel according to the Americans in the name of Gender equality.
Why not discourage gender discrimination instead of clamoring for gender equality.

Stop saying what you don’t know, before God all are equal.

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 17, 2016
plendil:

@bolded, I totally agree, but only if she merits it when compared with other candidates (including male), and not on the sole basis that she's a woman.

It troubles me you ladies don't appreciate the irony - you claim women are not inferior but you want special treatment.

My immediate supervisor, a bastion of knowledge, courage and superb intellect is female,and she got that position strictly on merit and not any silly sentiment. In fact, as she confided in me, one of her dreaded fears will be comments like "you were given that position just because you are female, not because you are actually good". I'm not sure any lady worth her salt will also like to hear that.

You want a position, WORK FOR IT, on a fair, even playing ground. If at any time during the process you notice discrimination on the basis of gender, then it can be taken up.
nice input. Thump up
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by tosyne2much(m): 9:37am On Mar 17, 2016
Women will not be able to handle such amount of power given to men.. In fact they will misuse that opportunity

I know what I'm saying... Those who work in an organization where a woman is the figure head will understand this

Have you ever wondered why most women who are richer than their husband barely succumb and feel bossy?
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by pmc01(m): 9:37am On Mar 17, 2016
SUPERPACK:

Better pikin
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by SUPERPACK: 9:42am On Mar 17, 2016
missjahiniekpe:

Neither has God given anybody a go ahead to dominate another person, before God, we are all equal.
Genesis 3:16
To the woman he said, "I will make your pains in childbearing very severe with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
i will agree that we are equal in the sight of God if you can provide an answer to the following questions.
1. Mention a time in the bible where God spoke directly to a woman without an intermediary.?
2. Why are women restricted in the temple.?
3. Why do rev fathers have the right to celebrate the Holy mass, bt the Rev mother is nt allowed to do same?
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 17, 2016
Adaure4ever:
Abike Dabiri, Amina Mohammed, Binta Garba are qualified women that could be VP in 2019.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Acidosis(m): 9:47am On Mar 17, 2016
missjahiniekpe:

What is clear is that her husband's siblings should throw her and her children out of the house and claim all she labored with her husband all through her life abi?

Nooo I won't support such, but please husbands should right their will, whatever is stated in the will should be enforced.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Koleman(m): 10:19am On Mar 17, 2016
sapiosexual1:
All the guys above me spewing thrash about women being inferior and weaker should sit themselves down and take a long look at their lives. That ur scared of a woman having equal privilegedes and opportunities as you makes you a weak male chauvinist and a failure already.
Though we know wosup, even if the bill is re-presented 100 times, it wouldn't pass, so long as the paedophiles from the North are still there.
see this one.

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Koleman(m): 10:23am On Mar 17, 2016
sapiosexual1:
All the guys above me spewing thrash about women being inferior and weaker should sit themselves down and take a long look at their lives. That ur scared of a woman having equal privilegedes and opportunities as you makes you a weak male chauvinist and a failure already.
Though we know wosup, even if the bill is re-presented 100 times, it wouldn't pass, so long as the paedophiles from the North are still there.
see this one. this same bill failed in one of the state assembly in the eastern states. Google am. think before u talk.
let me help u.
Enugu lawmakers reject
bill seeking gender
equality
- www.punchng.com/enugu-lawmakers-reject-bill-seeking-gender-equality/
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by gbeymey(f): 10:28am On Mar 17, 2016
Gentleveks:
go pass am into law now shor anybody stop you? Wetin una dey look 4 na how una go slap or hit man em go come leave una try am with me now i go beat shege comot your body.
Lolz. Mumu i look like ur sister? na weaklings dey threathen 2 beat up girls. But wait o is d bill about women slapping men?
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by skedy1(m): 10:33am On Mar 17, 2016
SUPERPACK:

Tell them! It's even in the bible.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2016
acenazt:
I now see the reason iweala and Allison were pompous . Imagine that bill getting a second run? These men are becoming mumus if there was equality then,they'd be total women wrappers now.

So u think Iweala is pompous? I pity u! cos jealousy will kill u. Have u ever seen her making unnecessary noise?
She achieved greatness tru education.
Go to skul, be as intelligent as she is and watch us sweep the floor u walk on wt our wrappers.
Give honor to whom it is due. Slowpoke!

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by eLcastro(m): 11:47am On Mar 17, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Yes He did....women are just different. Difference does not mean lack of equality.
wel.,i hope if the bill is passed nd evryone is equal..den men shud start takin paternity lev..as wel as nysc allowin married men to serve whr dey desire...
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 17, 2016
BLINGZ88:
No, don't re-present it becos u all are afraid of women taking ur position. I am a man but I don't c women as inferior or weak gender.

Stop pandering to sensationalism and sentimentality. Amongst the provisions of this bill is an evil asset-sharing formula upon divorce. I don't care if all Nigerian women have rights, I just don't want their rights clashing with mine.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 11:52am On Mar 17, 2016
Acidosis:
That bill should never be passed without addressing and modifying some key points in the bill.
e.g.

"a widow shall have equitable share in the inheritances of her late husband."

This for instance is an unclear and controversial provision.

You dey mind them? It is intentional na. They want to go and be claiming inheritance in their in-laws houses.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by lawflec(m): 11:55am On Mar 17, 2016
The bill was entitled, “A bill for an Act to Incorporate and enforce certain provisions of the United Nations Convention on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women, the Protocol of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the rights of women in Africa, and other matters connected therewith, 2016 (SB. 116).

/quote]

Both senator Olujimi and the entire senators are playing with our common intelligence.. The purported bill wil do less to the political, social and cultural equality demanded by women. Firstly, the said bill was merely to incorporate and Enfore certain provision of UNCEDAW AND ACHPR whose whole provisions are already enforceable in nigeria by virtue of its ratification and domestication. What is the essence of passing a bill to enforce an already enforceable law. That would be uncessary duplication. Why would the senate not pass an entire bill SOLEY on strict abhorrence of certain cultural segregating custom like women not climbing trees in Ibo land, women not being able to be an Oba of Benin or in other tribes nd Kingdoms, Women not owning land in Igboland etc..... The senate should pass a bill that abrogates these repugnant customs and not one to enforce an already enforceable one.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 17, 2016
MadCow1:
Every rights a Man has, a woman should also have.

I am very offended that the bill is being re-drafted along religous and Traditional lines. angry The Two top advocates for gender inequality. angry

This is why Nigerians need to stop looking at just the presidency but also the Senate and Reps in election periods.

A Senator can raise a motion for Nigerian men to marry more wives, but I wonder what will happen to the Female senator that proposes that women should be allow to marry more than 1 man.

angry

What rights does a Nigerian man have that a Nigerian woman doesn't?

And how should the constitution be drafted if not by culture and religion? You sabi wetin be culture so?

Marrying of more wives or husbands is nobody 's business as far as none of the women are coerced. Anybody who doesn't want their spouse marrying somone else can leave them. It is a choice.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by MadCow1: 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2016
Timbuktou:

What rights does a Nigerian man have that a Nigerian woman doesn't?

And how should the constitution be drafted if not by culture and religion? You sabi wetin be culture so?

Marrying of more wives or husbands is nobody 's business as far as none of the women are coerced. Anybody who doesn't want their spouse marrying somone else can leave them. It is a choice.

Do you know that marrying more than 1 partner is a Federal Crime in Nigeria under federal Laws?

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 17, 2016
MadCow1:

Do you know that marrying more than 1 partner is a Federal Crime in Nigeria under federal Laws?

Under traditional marriage or court marriage?
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by acenazt: 12:43pm On Mar 17, 2016
mineANDurs:

So u think Iweala is pompous? I pity u! cos jealousy will kill u. Have u ever seen her making unnecessary noise?
She achieved greatness tru education.
Go to skul, be as intelligent as she is and watch us sweep the floor u walk on wt our wrappers.
Give honor to whom it is due. Slowpoke!
madam how sure r u i am nt in school?
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by missjahiniekpe(f): 1:17pm On Mar 17, 2016
Acidosis:

Nooo I won't support such, but please husbands should right their will, whatever is stated in the will should be enforced.
Some people are wicked, they will kill the wife before the will is read seriously... Am not in support of other right women are agitating for because they have it already, am concerned abt those poor widows.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by missjahiniekpe(f): 1:25pm On Mar 17, 2016
SUPERPACK:

Genesis 3:16
To the woman he said, "I will make your pains in childbearing very severe with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
i will agree that we are equal in the sight of God if you can provide an answer to the following questions.
1. Mention a time in the bible where God spoke directly to a woman without an intermediary.?
2. Why are women restricted in the temple.?
3. Why do rev fathers have the right to celebrate the Holy mass, bt the Rev mother is nt allowed to do same?
I am not a catholic, therefore its none of my business if women are allowed to celebrate Holy mass or not. Am not also talking about the old testament church that the doctrines were based on the prophesies of the prophets. Am talking about the new testament church, the church of the first born Jesus... We are all like Jesus.
Re: Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki by SUPERPACK: 1:34pm On Mar 17, 2016
missjahiniekpe:

I am not a catholic, therefore its none of my business if women are allowed to celebrate Holy mass or not. Am not also talking about the old testament church that the doctrines were based on the prophesies of the prophets. Am talking about the new testament church, the church of the first born Jesus... We are all like Jesus.
Did JESUS appoint any female appostle?.
or did he nt see any woman worthy of joining the apostles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Unemployment, Poverty Rates Increased In 2017 – World Bank / Nigeria Not Ripe For Electronic Voting, Says INEC / Insecurity: Frank Blames Buhari’s, Apc’s Incompetence For Nation’s Calamities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.