Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Wondering Why The Developed World Calls Africa A Dark Continent? Have A Look - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wondering Why The Developed World Calls Africa A Dark Continent? Have A Look (1170 Views)

Aso Rock Boils As BBC Shocks The World, Calls For Buhari’s Immediate Resignation / Aso Rock Boils As BBC Shocks The World, Calls For Buhari’s Immediate Resignation / Aso Rock Boils As BBC Shocks The World, Calls For Buhari’s Immediate Resignation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wondering Why The Developed World Calls Africa A Dark Continent? Have A Look by EreluY(f): 7:04am On Mar 17, 2016
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03575/Anja-Ringgren-Love_3575630b.jpg
The boy being given food and water by Anja Loven Photo: Anja Ringgren Lovén/Facebook

Aid worker rescues two-year-old Nigerian boy 'accused of being a witch'
Hope was starving and riddled with worms after being dumped by his family and living on the streets for eight months.

A heartbreaking series of photographs shows the moment an emaciated two-year-old Nigerian boy, riddled with worms and reportedly abandoned by his family because they thought he was a witch, is given water by an aid worker.
He had lived on the streets for eight months, surviving on scraps and whatever he could find, before being discovered by Anja Ringgren Lovén, the Danish founder of the African Children's Aid Education and Development Foundation.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03575/Anja-Ringgren-Love_3575631b.jpg

In the pictures – which went viral online bringing in 1 million Danish Krone (£104,000) from wellwishers - she is seen helping him drink water.
She then wrapped the boy in a blanket and took him to the nearest hospital.
The child is carried to safety Photo: Anja Ringgren Lovén/Facebook

After two days of care, she wrote that his condition had greatly improved.
“He’s taking food for himself, and he responds to the medicine he gets," she wrote in a blog post. "Today he has had powers to sit up and smiling at us. He’s a strong little boy. To see him sit and play with my own son is without doubt the greatest experience of my life! I just don’t know how to describe it in words.”

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03575/Anja-Ringgren-Love_3575632b.jpg
The child has been named Hope and is making a good recovery

She added that she had named the boy Hope (a word she has tattooed on her knuckles).
Ms Loven set up her charity three years ago to help children accused of being witches. She said it was problem with wide-reaching effects.
“Thousands of children are being accused of being witches and we've both seen torture of children, dead children and frightened children,” she wrote in a Facebook post accompanying the pictures of Hope.
“This footage shows why I fight. Why I sold everything I own.”
She said that Hope was battling worms but added that he would soon be well enough to join the other children she looks after in Uyo, southern Nigeria.

SOURCE:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/12158943/Aid-worker-rescues-two-year-old-Nigerian-boy-accused-of-being-a-witch.html

[size=16pt]Honestly, this is both an eye saw and a disgrace. Belief in the supernatural is the bane of Nigeria's underdevelopment.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Wondering Why The Developed World Calls Africa A Dark Continent? Have A Look by cosby02(m): 7:43am On Mar 17, 2016
You hear it more here cos you are here... Those shits happens all over the world. Prouldly #madeofblack...ain't sorry about it.

(1) (Reply)

We Cannot Give Excuses For Fuel Scarcity − Lai Mohammed / Chief DSP Alamieyeseigha Goes Home / Young Lady Cries To Buhari, Tells Him To Leave The 'throne'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.