Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,346 members, 7,860,889 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:12 PM

What Justifies Good And Bad, Wrong And Right. A Must Read!!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Justifies Good And Bad, Wrong And Right. A Must Read!!! (428 Views)

Girls Let No Man Force You To Abort!it Is Wrong And Stupid!!! / When Do You Tell Your Boss He’s Wrong And How? / The Left Or Right-a Must Read! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Justifies Good And Bad, Wrong And Right. A Must Read!!! by nkemdirim104(m): 7:59am On Mar 17, 2016
Good and bad, wrong and right are considered to be the measure of moral value in the society. Everything we do are judged based on these values. But then,
What is good and bad?
What is wrong and right?

For me, these are the questions I am yet to find answers to. Sounds crazy but am being honest with you.
How do I know what is good or bad, many would argue that law is the answer i.e any thing for the law is good and right and anything against the law is bad or wrong.
What is law then?
...A standard for justification.
Though I would to some extent accept that but logically you would agree with me that there wouldn't have been these values without law.
How do I know then that the law is a standard for justification when it's actually set by an individual or group of individuals.

...It's morally upright.
Shit!!! What is then morally upright.

Someone once told me your conscience tells you what is good or bad, wrong or right.
But then, conscience is a level of moral standard development just like instinct.
How do I know what is conscience without knowing what is moral standard.

Moral standard is a measure of rightness or wrongness of human actions.
If that's the case, there are many kinds of moral.

Hedonists: These are people whose moral standard is justified by the pursuit of pleasure i.e what gives you pleasure is morally okay. That means if you derive pleasure from causing suffering, it is right.

Egoists: These are people who see moral standard as any action that promotes their ego i.e if smoking boosts their ego, smoking is a right action.

Eudaimonist: These are people who believe that happiness should be the base for the justification of morality i.e if killing makes you happy, it's morally right. (Aristotle is of this belief).

Utilitarianism: It directs actions as being right if it promotes the greatest good of people.

Altruist: These people believes that an action is right if it promotes the good of others.

Stoic: It's a belief that right reasoning is the moral standard.

And the list continues...

All these are kinds of moral standard and everyone practices one of these kinds. What's good or right to you might be bad or wrong to another. You may think yours is the best, what made you think that your reasons for belief in one is better than another's reasons for believing in the other? Everybody's view of moral standard is influenced by ethics.

Ethics refers to the fundamental norms of human conduct. Norms are mainly developed as a result of where one grew up. People from different backgrounds have different norms and because your seems right doesn't make it better than another's. We are not the same and that is enough reason to prove that your view is right to you only and not to me unless I accept it.

Am not a moralist anyway but in case you're, what could be a yardstick to universally judge an action based on values like right and wrong, good and bad regardless of your ethics.

(1) (Reply)

Celeste, Mattresses In Dubai / Airtel Increases Smarttalt From 11k/s To 15k/s Secretly / See What No Fuel & Power Has Caused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.