Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,095 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence (3737 Views)

Scenes From The Supreme Court After Makarfi Was Declared PDP Chairman / MURIC: "Fayose Wants To Set Nigeria On Fire, Nobody Should Blame Muslims For..." / APC Buried In Akwa Ibom After The Supreme Court Verdict (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Lawsimon(m): 10:05pm On Mar 19, 2016
like so many Nigerians, i am not suprised by the recent killings in Rivers state,because i believe the Supreme court by it ruling in the last Governorship election case in Rivers, affirmed the win at all cost syndrome in our election process, an election which was condemned by the international observers, which more than ten people lost their lives and also witnessed ballot box snatching and kidnapping could not have been free and fair. The supreme court have endorsed violence in our electoral process, Rivers case is just the beginning. Mode lets move it to perm site

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Truckpusher(m): 10:10pm On Mar 19, 2016
Lawsimon:
like so many Nigerians i am not suprise by the recent killings in Rivers state,because i believe the Supreme court by it ruling in the last Governorship election case in Rivers affirmed the win at all cost syndrome in our election process, an election which was condemned by the international observers,which more than ten people lost their life and also witness ballot box snatching and kidnapping could not have been free and fair. The supreme court have endorse violence in our electoral process, Rivers case is just the beginning. Mode lets move it to perm site
Olodo, blame the tribunal and the appellate court for everything first before talking about the Supreme Court.

Yeye dey smell - You're a pained loser.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by 3sha4lyf: 10:17pm On Mar 19, 2016
Truckpusher:
Olodo, blame the tribunal and the appellate court for everything first before talking about the Supreme Court.

On the contrary, you are the Olodo. If you're an unbiased fellow, you would know that the SC did a big injustice by condemning the use of CR which people hoped will check rigging to a minimum.

Therefore, it's a "do-all-you-can-to-win" and later come to court where the loser has to prove their points in EVERY PU without making reference to the CR.

Yes, SC, Welldone.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Lawsimon(m): 10:28pm On Mar 19, 2016
?
Truckpusher:

How old are you??

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 10:29pm On Mar 19, 2016
The card reader is not constitutional and therefore cannot be admissible in evidence in a tribunal matter, even when it is admissible, it won't be attached with much importance.

3sha4lyf:

On the contrary, you are the Olodo. If you're an unbiased fellow, you would know that the SC did a big injustice by condemning the use of CR which people hoped will check rigging to a minimum.

Therefore, it's a "do-all-you-can-to-win" and later come to court where the loser has to prove their points in EVERY PU without making reference to the CR.

Yes, SC, Welldone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by rottennaija(m): 10:30pm On Mar 19, 2016
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Uniben4sure: 10:32pm On Mar 19, 2016
PDP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power To The People!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Truckpusher(m): 10:57pm On Mar 19, 2016
3sha4lyf:

Yes, SC, Welldone.
You're an Olodo reloaded .
I hope you're aware that if the Supreme Court had followed the same warped logic of your disturbed mind , apc lagos state would have been in hot water considering PDP's post election complaint and you'll need to nullify the elections of more than 28 APC Governors across the nation to appear apolotical ?
Your Mumu never even break chalk you wan talk about pencil.
Go read up something and get some education before making your dumb, useless and myopic topic.
Elewon Gambari .

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Truckpusher(m): 10:59pm On Mar 19, 2016
amtaken:
The card reader is not constitutional and therefore cannot be admissible in evidence in a tribunal matter, even when it is admissible, it won't be attached with much importance.

The skunk you're trying to educate is another APC apologist with a new moniker - He doesn't deserve it.
You don't educate a man that is not bold enough to use his old shameless moniker in a faceless forum.
He's a piece of shiit .

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by yaki84: 11:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
Truckpusher:
I hope you're aware that if the Supreme Court had followed the same warped logic of your disturbed mind , apc lagos state would have been in hot water considering PDP's post election complaint and you'll need to nullify the elections of more than 28 APC Governors across the nation to appear apolotical ?
Go read up something and get some education before making your dumb, useless and myopic topic.
Elewon Gambari .

bros y u dey fall my hand na?
even prof einstein if he was alive wouldnt hv been able to educate a zombie. abi u wan make guiness book of record?
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Seylad2009(m): 11:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
@OP Let's thank God the supreme court favoured the PDP eventhough it was manipulated.Rivers state crises started the day rotimi ameachi decamped to APC and Mr Wike was nominated has the Governorship Candidate of PDP. What we're experiencing in River state right now is the continuation of what happened during the last general election.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by bilulu(m): 11:13pm On Mar 19, 2016
3sha4lyf:

Yes, SC, Welldone.
was it not same judgement in Lagos? u didn't complain wen dey ruled out CR in Lagos but here u re lamenting concerning Rivers.......

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by 3sha4lyf: 1:36am On Mar 20, 2016
Truckpusher:
Elewon Gambari .

You just exhibited your uncultured nature. Olodo reigns within you... What's the differenc btw Lagos n Rivers? Again I say if you were unbiased, plus if you had brains, you'll know that it doesn't matter where it happened, or who it's affecting. When it's black, it's black. Ignoramus

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by 3sha4lyf: 1:40am On Mar 20, 2016
bilulu:

was it not same judgement in Lagos? u didn't complain wen dey ruled out CR in Lagos but here u re lamenting concerning Rivers.......
And who says I didn't complain? If you read my post to understand it, you'll have seen that I cared more about the essence of the card reader in Nigeria's electoral system, than who was affected. The SC set the precedence in Lagos, backed it up in rivers, and of course, ppl have understood that election is still same old rig-if-u-can.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by 3sha4lyf: 1:48am On Mar 20, 2016
amtaken:

Truly it isn't... Yes I agree, even though I am of the opinion that INEC needs to apologise to Nigerians for wasting funds, and subjecting them to a process that was UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

BUT the truth remains the same. The declaration of the CR as unconstitutional has imbibed in electorates the "win-by-all-means" attitude cos der would definitely be no way to detect it.

This has nothing to do with the APC or PDP. It's what's happening already. APC won't repeat the same mistake they made in the previous elections by relying on the potency of a CR, and PDP would try at all cost to repeat what they did in that election. The result is BLOOD BATH, which is what's brewing in rivers. .

And I think as adults, we can have a debate without insults, except one wants to tell the cyber community how silly s/he really is.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 2:12am On Mar 20, 2016
APC was more violent in 2015 election than any other party I know.

In my ward, they were so aggressive and we're so ready to shed blood.

They were about bolting away with electoral materials after people had stood in the sun voting for hours, some youths from other parties tried to stop them, one person was stabbed by an APC thug and he was bleeding. We had to call the attention of the State Commissioner of Police and he sent some aggressive looking officers who spoke in the loudest tone. That was how they APC touts reluctantly calmed down.
We later heard that my ward was even 'peaceful' compared to other wards.

The hard fact is that APC failed mostly in SS and SE states because the people saw it as an alien party and truly the recent events have shown that they are prophets.

As per card reader, if the Government of the day is serious about implementing its use, then it has to go back to the drawing board by calling for Sovereign National Conference, leading to the amendment or total re-enactment of the Constitution.

3sha4lyf:

Truly it isn't... Yes I agree, even though I am of the opinion that INEC needs to apologise to Nigerians for wasting funds, and subjecting them to a process that was UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

BUT the truth remains the same. The declaration of the CR as unconstitutional has imbibed in electorates the "win-by-all-means" attitude cos der would definitely be no way to detect it.

This has nothing to do with the APC or PDP. It's what's happening already. APC won't repeat the same mistake they made in the previous elections by relying on the potency of a CR, and PDP would try at all cost to repeat what they did in that election. The result is BLOOD BATH, which is what's brewing in rivers. .

And I think as adults, we can have a debate without insults, except one wants to tell the cyber community how silly s/he really is.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by 3sha4lyf: 7:15am On Mar 20, 2016
amtaken:
APC was more violent in 2015 election than any other party I know.

In my ward, they were so aggressive and we're so ready to shed blood.

They were about bolting away with electoral materials after people had stood in the sun voting for hours, some youths from other parties tried to stop them, one person was stabbed by an APC thug and he was bleeding. We had to call the attention of the State Commissioner of Police and he sent some aggressive looking officers who spoke in the loudest tone. That was how they APC touts reluctantly calmed down.
We later heard that my ward was even 'peaceful' compared to other wards.

The hard fact is that APC failed mostly in SS and SE states because the people saw it as an alien party and truly the recent events have shown that they are prophets.

As per card reader, if the Government of the day is serious about implementing its use, then it has to go back to the drawing board by calling for Sovereign National Conference, leading to the amendment or total re-enactment of the Constitution.

Fair enough... But I find your opening sentence open for debate.
More violent... 2015 elections... Hmmmm.

Well, at this point, one can only speak for what he or she saw. To be fair, I think we should recall there were two elections in 2015. If I should make a quick mere analysis, in the First election- Presido, APC were, to a large extent, disenfranchised. Some areas complained about APC being omitted from the result sheets. Some people sef were warned NOT TO VOTE FOR APC or receive SHORT SLEEVES. The conception was that GEJ was in power, would be in power, and NOTHING GO HAPPEN afterwards. But it didn't happen that way.

Then came the next election- Gubernato, while PDP were vexed with the outcome of the elections a fortnight ago, APC was given more gingered to make sure there's a band effect of their previous "victory" on the state elections. While PDP would maintain their tactics and with all the then federal might back in rivers since GEJ had lost, APC would swear they will match violence for violence, with or without the consent of their leaders, afterall, As you buy the goat, na so you go sell am. And indeed it was a bloodbath for who could kill and rig, etc better, which at the end of the day was meaningless because the PDP had Gesila Khan who had the "final say".

Even the Labor Party candidate was left to sit on the fence with fear.

That's the story of Rivers Elections that brewed so much tension, with people awaiting this Rerun to "do-again" or "do better".
I'm sure someone may relate to this.

Pls note that I don't support violence. The songwriter says "The battlefield e no get eye to look who to kill who to leave". And since no one has monopoly of violence, it will be silly to boast about it.

Elections now, especially in BayRiv, is like war. And if not checked, 2019, and maybe 2020 will be a massacre.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by blackpanda: 7:30am On Mar 20, 2016
OP you are right.
I believe Supreme Court set us back to square one in terms of election violence. People supporting the judgement are happy because its their candidate that benefitted, but come 2019 theres gonna be serious bloodshed!

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by sammyj: 7:53am On Mar 20, 2016
OP is truly on point. Supreme court should be held responsible for this crisis and any future one. The unborn generations and God will judge them for this their current election judgement !!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by sammyj: 8:00am On Mar 20, 2016
But the constitution permits thesame INEC tk use means acceptable to determine voters during election. I pity this country. Thesame people will claim GEJ should be commended for this same unconstitutional process. shocked angry
amtaken:

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by sweetgala(m): 8:03am On Mar 20, 2016
amtaken:

It's people like you who are keeping this nation on it's knees, I've always said Nigerian leaders get too.much stick for their part in the failures of the country the citizenry have the true lions share.

What is the purpose of a device designed to reduce electorial fraud if it can't be used for that same act and guaranteed by judicial review

The Constitution makes it clear that INEC can set the standards to which a certain election would adhere to ,

If INEC says an election would be accredited using PVC readers why should the SC wtrike that out as beyojnd their purview and inconsequential
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 20, 2016
3sha4lyf:

What INEC would have done is to have legal backing on CR.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by vedaxcool(m): 8:04am On Mar 20, 2016
Supreme court of blood, the same judges will boast on how court can create new law through interpretation of the law but when such law benefits the masses they pretend they have no such powers. Blood of the innocent rest on their conscience.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 20, 2016
blackpanda:
OP you are right.
I believe Supreme Court set us back to square one in terms of election violence. People supporting the judgement are happy because its their candidate that benefitted, but come 2019 theres gonna be serious bloodshed!
The Sc court relies on the constitution and evidence to act not speculations. Sc probably used Lagos state verdict for rivers too so it's not their fault.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by sweetgala(m): 8:08am On Mar 20, 2016
asuustrike2009:

What INEC would have done is to have legal backing on CR.

INEC have legal backing on the CR, it states in the Constitution INEC have the authority to declare the standards by which an election would be conducted this to the legal understanding of the bodies includes the design of an accreditation device to weed out illegal voting, ballot box stuffing etc

I beleive if APC lead Senate have an iota of decency the next deliberation before Edo state election should be change in the Constitution to ammend those areas that give a technical advantage to fraudulent lawyers and their election abusing clients
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:11am On Mar 20, 2016
I believe the Supreme Court gave applied wisdom in those rulings.

What we can do now is to speedily upgrade the stature of card readers in the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 8:32am On Mar 20, 2016
Quote the part of the Constitution that gives INEC the right to introduce something as important as card reader without first amending the constitution.

Do you know more than SANS and Supreme Court judges?

It takes a legal/judicial mind to interpret any law effectively.

If the Federal Government wants to introduce the use of card reader, there are certain requirements to be met before such can become statutory. That's all we are saying. We are not against the use of card reader, we are only saying that rule of law must be observed. Due process must be followed, that's all.

Hope I made myself clear son?

sweetgala:

It's people like you who are keeping this nation on it's knees, I've always said Nigerian leaders get too.much stick for their part in the failures of the country the citizenry have the true lions share.

What is the purpose of a device designed to reduce electorial fraud if it can't be used for that same act and guaranteed by judicial review

The Constitution makes it clear that INEC can set the standards to which a certain election would adhere to ,

If INEC says an election would be accredited using PVC readers why should the SC wtrike that out as beyojnd their purview and inconsequential
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 8:34am On Mar 20, 2016
If we allow organisations to introduce whatever policy they like without first following the due process, you will see that very soon that there will be anarchy in our nation. God forbid!

sammyj:
But the constitution permits thesame INEC tk use means acceptable to determine voters during election. I pity this country. Thesame people will claim GEJ should be commended for this same unconstitutional process. shocked angry
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 8:41am On Mar 20, 2016
I will only answer you with one sentence:

If GEJ was as desperate as Buhari and APC who even threatened to run a parallel Government should they lose the election, he would have employed every means to win but being the perfect gentleman that he is, a man who values human lives more than power, he allowed APC to rig the election by every means possible eg underage children were employed to vote for Buhari and many SE and SS voters even some Igbos in Lagos were defranchised.

3sha4lyf:

Fair enough... But I find your opening sentence open for debate.
More violent... 2015 elections... Hmmmm.

Well, at this point, one can only speak for what he or she saw. To be fair, I think we should recall there were two elections in 2015. If I should make a quick mere analysis, in the First election- Presido, APC were, to a large extent, disenfranchised. Some areas complained about APC being omitted from the result sheets. Some people sef were warned NOT TO VOTE FOR APC or receive SHORT SLEEVES. The conception was that GEJ was in power, would be in power, and NOTHING GO HAPPEN afterwards. But it didn't happen that way.

Then came the next election- Gubernato, while PDP were vexed with the outcome of the elections a fortnight ago, APC was given more gingered to make sure there's a band effect of their previous "victory" on the state elections. While PDP would maintain their tactics and with all the then federal might back in rivers since GEJ had lost, APC would swear they will match violence for violence, with or without the consent of their leaders, afterall, As you buy the goat, na so you go sell am. And indeed it was a bloodbath for who could kill and rig, etc better, which at the end of the day was meaningless because the PDP had Gesila Khan who had the "final say".

Even the Labor Party candidate was left to sit on the fence with fear.

That's the story of Rivers Elections that brewed so much tension, with people awaiting this Rerun to "do-again" or "do better".
I'm sure someone may relate to this.

Pls note that I don't support violence. The songwriter says "The battlefield e no get eye to look who to kill who to leave". And since no one has monopoly of violence, it will be silly to boast about it.

Elections now, especially in BayRiv, is like war. And if not checked, 2019, and maybe 2020 will be a massacre.

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 8:46am On Mar 20, 2016
You all act as if there were no elections in Nigeria prior to the illegal introduction of card reader; illegal because it was not constitutional.

If you really want the card reader so much like I do, then we must all join our voices together to ask the Government of the day to include it in our construction, however, knowing how bad APC wants to rig the 2019 election, I doubt if it will ever do that.

3sha4lyf:

Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by amtaken(f): 8:47am On Mar 20, 2016
Ok brother.

Truckpusher:
The skunk you're trying to educate is another APC apologist with a new moniker - He doesn't deserve it.
You don't educate a man that is not bold enough to use his old shameless moniker in a faceless forum.
He's a piece of shiit .
Re: Why Nigerians Should Blame The Supreme Court For Rivers Election Violence by yaki84: 8:56am On Mar 20, 2016
3sha4lyf:

y r u guys not viewing n following this rivers rerun as it is?
akwaibom did rerun n the card reader was used, the local govt areas that apc said it was thier strong hold cos those who testified at the tribunal were mostly from those lgs but pdp won in landslide. no violence even when apc told d whole world that thousands oof people lost thier lives till now we hvnt seen pix of those people.
the isuueof river is different, it would hv been worst if supreme court upheld the verdict of appeal n tribunal. the election would hv been more bloody n pdp for still win.
card reader or not, there r so many ways to rig election with the card reader. we hv incident form if ur pvc is not captured by the CR, so what r u telling me.
secondly the killing in rivers is not even one tenth of the killings perpetrated by fulani's herdsmen in agatu n other lgs in benue state, the destruction of properties in rivers can equate the billions lost in benue by these buhari's tribesmen. benue if food basket of the nation, if this issue is not nip in d bud early am seeing benue become the empty basket of the nation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osinbajo, A Total Disappointment To South-west - Afenifere / Nnamdi Kanu and Buhari’s Purported Death: The Facts and Fiction / Igbo How Far? I Heard Powerful Delegation Sent To Tinubu To Help SE Get SGF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.