Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,806 members, 7,851,705 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:03 AM

Rising Photographer, Genesis Williams, Talks About His Passion For Fantasy Pics - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rising Photographer, Genesis Williams, Talks About His Passion For Fantasy Pics (649 Views)

Saidi Balogun & Fathia Williams Reunite For Khalid Balogun, Son’s Graduation / Tonto Dikeh Talks About Weight Loss / Stephanie Okereke-Linus Screens "Dry" At Genesis Deluxe cinemas (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rising Photographer, Genesis Williams, Talks About His Passion For Fantasy Pics by 9jabuzzdotcom: 2:45pm On Mar 20, 2016
Genesis Williams is a young entrepreneur that aspires to make a change in the Nigeria entertainment industry. He studied at NIIT where he learnt digital film and animation until he decided to venture in the creative multimedia department. He has been involved in various creative multimedia content initiative and activities, working fulltime, per-time and as a freelance in various production houses and studio such as (GENESIS STUDIOS, ROYAL ART ACADEMY, ANTHILL STUDIOS, BEAVERS STUDIO AND CLOCKWISE STUDIO, DEVINE KLASS STUDIO) where he worked as a GRAPHICS DESIGNER, VIDEO EDITOR, VFX ARTIST, CINEMATOGRAPHER, PHOTOGRAPHER and a PRODUCER.

In this interview, he sits down with Chimmie Ijezie of 9jabuzz and talks about his journey into the world of photography, how he ventured into photography and how he’d have been into drugs if not for photography…

Tell us a bit about yourself- growing up, childhood memories, education?
My name is Genesis Williams. I am a young entrepreneur. I own and run my small business Ficson films. We deal in vfx, cinematography and photography. Growing up as a child had its up and downs; I grew up as the only child, an average normal kid from an average family. My parents did their best to raise me. I can’t really remember much about my childhood though, but my best memories were in my teens where me, Eri Umusu and Godwin Akpan were all trying to figure out our career paths together. As for education, I did poorly in school, especially in my senior secondary school and that was because I didn’t know what I was doing there. I managed to graduate from secondary school and then went to further my education at the University of Uyo, from where I dropped out after my first year to chase my career.

Why and how did you venture into photography?
Well, it all started when I got a job at Owerri to be the media head at DK Studios. Things were kind of tough because I had before then never taken a professional photograph in my life. At the studio, when they asked if I knew how to take professional pictures, I lied and said “yes”, I mean, how hard can it be? With my experience from cinematography, I started learning the only way I knew how: Googling and Youtubing tutorials on photography and cinematography, wahlia! With practice and effort, I owned the craft, started getting positive feedbacks and kept practicing.

Wow! So what inspires your photography?
Well… I guess have always loved the dark side of art. My best photography, at least, the ones I post online, are mostly artistic and dark in nature. I used to post a few beauty shot, but recently, I have been trying my hands on fantasy and photo manipulations, trying to perfect on that. So I’d say, I don’t really know what inspires me. I Google a lot of pictures, check through Instagram, Pintrest, Daviant art; I can be on those sites for hours daily. I try my best to feed my mind with artistic pictures— that’s how I get my kicks.

What kind of photography is your primary focus? Why?
Right now, my primary focus is fantasy and photo-manipulation photographs that tell a story. And that is because I love telling stories in a way, so I want my pictures to have a sense of story-telling not just the contemporary studio shoot.

The photography community in Nigeria is getting really large. I mean gone are the days when you guys are seen as common “passport guys”. Now almost everyone wants to be a photographer. I go to speak to some campus students in seminars and ask them what they do while in campus, and 90% tell me they are photographers. Some use it to even woe girls. I mean the whole buzz is around photographers. What would you say is the reason for this development?
Well I really can’t say. I got into the photography world by accident. But if I am to say something, I’d say it’s because it kind of cool to be a photographer; it comes with a few perks.

Which photographer do you look up to as your role model
I haven’t seen any yet; yea I do admire the likes of Kelechi Amadi-Obi, TY Bello and the rest, even plenty Oyibo photographers, but I’m not looking up to them because I’m just trying to be the best of me; theirs and mind are in total, should I say, different genre of photography.

Has your works ever been showcased in an exhibition. If yes, which one
None.

Any reasons?
I’m still new into photography. I’m not up to two years yet in the industry. I still need to build my portfolio and put myself out there.

Everyone believes Lagos is the center of opportunities especially for photographers. Why have you chosen Akwa Ibom (hope I’m right)?
Well I’m back to Lagos.

Oh that’s great!
Yea. I won’t like to say one’s success is determined by his/her zip code but where you’re located really helps, and Lagos is a land of opportunities because of the population. You can make it anywhere, but the hustle is better in Eko.

Oh that’s why you came back
One of the reasons, yes.

And the others being….?
That’s beyond the scope of this interview. (Laughs)

So any landmark achievements so far by you
No, not yet.

Apart from photography what else do you do?
Visual effect and cinematography

Ever done any work in that field?
Yes. Check www.ficson.com. Shot a short film, done music videos, event and even motion graphics.

Ok. Just saw a short film that was directed by you “Cyanide”. You actually worked with Tope Tedela?
Yes.

Great. How was working with Tope like? Was this before or after he appeared in the movie “A Mile from Home”?
That was before the movie. He was alright, I guess.

How did you 2 meet?
Through a friend. We worked on project together. I think it was for the 48 Hours Film Challenge. Then one day, after the internet buzz of my sci-fi short film “The Day They Came”, we decided to produce Cyanide. That was when we decided to use Tope for the role; that’s how we met.

What problems do you experience in line of your work?
Money problems and the right clients.

What do you think of the Nigerian photography industry and where do you see them in the next ten years?
Well I think it’s not a bad one, it is a quick growing industry at that. But it’s not a matter of time; it’s a matter of the people involved. We need great minds to make it a great one.

So in 10 years time where do you see it?
That’s what I’m saying. I can’t really say, we’ll just have to see. I believe it’s the people and not the time that matters. In 10 years, nothing might change if the right people don’t get into the sector.

Personal Questions

Are you married or in a relationship?Genesis 13
Neither at the moment.

What is your favorite food and why?
Rice and peppery stew because it is delicious.

If you were not a photographer, VFX editor or cinematographer what would you have been?
Doing drugs and living a degenerated life (laughs).

Tell us something no one knows about you, an exclusive, something explosive. Perhaps, in the past or present.
No one is a lot. A few people don’t know I’m agnostic, that’s the best I can do.

Finally where would Genesis Williams be in the next 10 years?
Honestly, I don’t know and I don’t want to think about it. I’ll just keep working hard and pushing, and see where life puts me; I hope I would be in a great place.

Thank you Genesis for giving us the opportunity to know you. It’s been nice chatting with you.
You’re welcome.

Source: http://9jabuzz.com.ng/sunday-exclusive-rising-photographer-genesis-williams-talks-to-9b-about-his-passion-for-fantasy-and-photo-manipulation-photographs/
Photo Credit: Genesis Williams

View more articles at www.0jabuzz.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Nicki Minaj Shared Her Sexy Photos / See The Drama That Happened When P-square Was Performing In Amsterdam Festival / Kiss Daniel To Make A Press Release About His Age (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.