Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Confusing Words In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Confusing Words In English (867 Views)

Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusing Words In English by prinsam30: 6:04pm On Mar 20, 2016
Hello guys, pls can you tell me why these Six contradictory words are like this or the English language lack the appropriate words and it's a scam all along?

1. LIVE:- like, watching a football
game or program. e.g The
station presented a live
news program every
evening.

2. LIVES:- like, he lives next door.

3. LIVES:- like, our lives depends on
God.

4. LIVES:- like, God lives forever.

5. LIFE:- like, I have surrendered my
life to God.

6. LIVE:- like, I live next to Bill Gates
mansion.

Number 1 and 5 have the same pronunciation but different spelling and meaning.

Number 2 and 4 have the same spelling, the same pronunciation but different meaning.

Number 3 have the same spelling as number 2 and 4 but different pronunciation and meaning.

Number 6 and 1 have the same spelling but different pronunciation and meaning.

The Six words altogether makes me doubt the integrity and tenacity of English language.

Please I just need your honest opinion on this, no offense thank you and God bless you all. happy Sunday fellas

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 20, 2016
Re: Confusing Words In English by mebad(m): 6:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
This will hit front page . Mark my words

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by Elzends(m): 6:18pm On Mar 20, 2016
Ok
Re: Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 20, 2016
Yagaaaaaaaaarrrrrr
This is nice and you are correct.

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by Paulpaulpaul(m): 6:37pm On Mar 20, 2016
Yes, that is grammar

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by monalicious(f): 7:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
I didn't even know this word was this confusing. I wonder why the "linguists" had to have so many meanings for just one word.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confusing Words In English by prinsam30: 7:45pm On Mar 20, 2016
honestly speaking guys, it baffles me a lot, I just hope the mod take it to front page, the world needs to see this

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by prinsam30: 7:48pm On Mar 20, 2016
mebad:

I just hope it does oooooo

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by DebbyChris(f): 7:50pm On Mar 20, 2016
Very confusing ooo
Re: Confusing Words In English by MzEspoir(f): 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2016
1 and 5 do not sound alike. 1 sounds /laiv/ while 5 sounds /laiv/. And its not confusing. The meaning is easily gotten from the sentence it was used
Re: Confusing Words In English by Alexis1: 8:57pm On Mar 20, 2016
WAEC examinations have started with language based tests.

You are looking for somewhere you still practice past exam questions before the written stage. The right place to go is www.PassGeek.com

See the log in icon at the top right corner of your screen and start practicing.

PassGeek.com, the solution for ill preparation.

Re: Confusing Words In English by NigerianScholar: 5:42am On Mar 21, 2016
mebad:
Still waiting
Re: Confusing Words In English by babyfaceafrica: 7:56am On Mar 21, 2016
If you know semantics ,especially sense relations like homonym ,hyponym and others...you also need to know about gerunds which are words that change lexical class.OP let me give you another example......

Bank.... A financial institution

Bank.....a verb ...like I bank with GTB

Bank...... A low steep near a river

Bank.......also a verb...but its usage is diffeent.....example...I bank on my parents for survival.....the bank here means trust!!! Differet from the first veb which means keep

Also

Seed......crop seed

Seed......fruits of the womb

Cede....to give away

All three have d same pronunciation but different meaning

Sense relations is about meaning among lexical words in languages.

What I agree with you is that English Language can sometimes be confusing,because its a almagamation of. Several european languages(german,french,dutch)...op abeg I cant say everything here na four years I take study this course abeg....

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by prinsam30: 1:14pm On Mar 21, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
If you know semantics ,especially sense relations like homonym ,hyponym and others...you also need to know about gerunds which are words that change lexical class.OP let me give you another example......

Bank.... A financial institution

Bank.....a verb ...like I bank with GTB

Bank...... A low steep near a river

Bank.......also a verb...but its usage is diffeent.....example...I bank on my parents for survival.....the bank here means trust!!! Differet from the first veb which means keep

Also

Seed......crop seed

Seed......fruits of the womb

Cede....to give away

All three have d same pronunciation but different meaning

Sense relations is about meaning among lexical words in languages.

What I agree with you is that English Language can sometimes be confusing,because its a almagamation of. Several european languages(german,french,dutch)...op abeg I cant say everything here na four years I take study this course abeg....

I feel your passion jare, Abeg if u get time lecture me more, this is interesting

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by LordOfTheWeed: 1:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
Not only English bro, pidgin can also be so confusing grin

1 Like

Re: Confusing Words In English by ArcToyin(m): 11:08am On May 25, 2016
It indeed confusing. I sha know say I go find word say while communicating.

(1) (Reply)

18 Quotes On Psychology / SEE HOW WE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROJECT / Social Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.