Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker (32242 Views)

Saraki Replaces Ndume With Suleiman Nazif As INEC Committee Chairman / PDP Protests In Tai As INEC Boss Refuse To Conduct Fresh Election In Tai / Ondo: Violence At Owo LGA As INEC Ballot Box Shattered, Ballot Papers Hijacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by viviangist2: 8:03pm On Mar 20, 2016
MY EXPERIENCE AS APO 1 IN UNIT 6, WARD 4, OF EMOHUA LGA, IN RIVERS STATE SENATORIAL, STATE HOUSE OF REP AND NATIONAL HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY RE-RUN ELECTION ON 19/03/2016

I have been hearing that hudlums do snatch election materials from INEC officials during voting process until 19th March, 2016 when election materials were snatched in my polling unit where am acting as the Assistant Prisiding Officer 1(APO 1).
When we first arrived our RAC(Registration Area Center) on 18/03/2016, many people who are not INEC ad hoc staffs were seen hovering around the RAC. After collecting election material from our SPOs(Supervising Presiding Officers) at around 6:00AM, we set out to our various polling units after much delay. The buses that were conveying us to our various polling units were just crawling. Peole that are to work at different polling units were to move together accompanied by soldiers, SARS and police officers.
The crawling way of movement made us(my team-PO, APO 1, APO 11 and three police officers) to arrive our polling unit at around 3:20PM. We were the last people to reach their polling unit in our ward. The card reader failed after trying all the 10 fingers of the first person that came to vote. As the second person showed up for accreditation, a group of huddlums entered our polling unit from unknown where and made away with some of our election materials except our card reader(with me), ballot paper and election result(with the APO 11) . We all ran away including the 3 police men that were working with us. There was a pandemonium in the unit.
After the noises subsided, we re-converged at one place to discuss on how to move back to the LGA, since all the people that we called to come for our rescue who actually picked the call did not give us quick attention and there is only one road leading to the place except through water. One of the party agents among the two main party in Nigeria, who told us that the election materials were snatched by the other party member, offered to help us move out of the village. After much contemplation on whether we are save to move out of the village at that time or not, we agreed to move since we believed that the huddlums might come back to harm us or carry the remaining election materials. One of the villagers offered his car too. So, the police men entered the bus that conveyed us to the place and the rest of us with 2 of the villagers(the party agent and one other village boy) and the owner of the car left for the LGA.
On our way to the LGA, the party agent that were with us said that we have to pass through his party senetorial candidate to confess that it is other party member that snatched the materials from us. That was when we began to fill unconfortable with them. Then, th APO 11 insisted to board a car to Choba against the wish of the party agent and ours too. By then, we have lost the police men on the way from the community. The driver called me separately and asked me whether we and the party agent did not discuss anything? Which I sincerely replied that we did not discuss anything. On my own, I have decided not to meet or talk with the politician because some of them are heartless. After seeing how the guy was serious about taking us especially the woman(APO 11 who was with the result sheets and ballot paper) to the politician, the PO knelt down and begged the woman to give them the ballot paper and the election result sheets that she was carrying.
I left the scene with my phone on my ear as if i was making call. After I have given them about 300m gap to the LGA, I saw my PO running towards my direction. I asked him " what happened?" And he told me that the APO 11 has been tied and thrown into a Honda accord. Then, we ran together to the LGA. We saw many other corpers too who were complaining of the same snatch experience in their polling unit too. This is just the summary of what happened.
Please, thank God with me for this is my true life story. I am a serving corp member in Emohua LGA of Rivers state

http://www.viviangist.com/rivers-rerun-my-experience-as-an-inec-worker-in-rivers-state-nysc-member

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by otokx(m): 8:08pm On Mar 20, 2016
Which party tied the woman and took her away in Honda accord?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by digoster(m): 8:11pm On Mar 20, 2016
Ameachi is a toothless bull dog

Once again, has been disgraced..

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by rottennaija(m): 8:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
Thank God for your life my dear. Rivers state is a very dangerous place especially during election period

7 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by HALIX16: 8:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
Is it that people don't learn? So with all the potential issues surrounding this rerun, a corper will accept to do this job?
The smart ones I know do everything possible just not to be part of any elections; talk less of That of Rivers (Wike vs Amechi).
My advice to you is never to involve in such again. Most people that lost their lives were normal people like you. Don't think that being a corper will save you.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Pennsylvania: 8:16pm On Mar 20, 2016
Sometimes I wonder why this corpers put their life on the line for practically no reason. The last thing I'll be doing as a corper is to be an INEC official in Rivers or places like Borno, Yobe etc. Your life isn't worth the risk! even before the election we could see how heated up Rivers State was, why put your life on the line again?
Had it been those that snatched the ballot box and other materials came with guys and shot y'all, we will be seeing graphic pix by now.
I repeat again: YOUR LIFE AS A CORPER ISN'T WORTH THE RISK of being a mere INEC official which they might not even pay you at the end of the day!

34 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by agabaI23(m): 8:17pm On Mar 20, 2016
otokx:
Which party tied the woman and took her away in Honda accord?
APC grin

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Igwe9(m): 8:18pm On Mar 20, 2016
Where Amechi carry him soldiers go?
Even 1 soldier man, una no get.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by egheleghe(m): 8:21pm On Mar 20, 2016
agabaI23:
APC grin
Definitely not

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by missingrib(f): 8:28pm On Mar 20, 2016
remembered the one that happened last month in Kaduna lere LGA to b precise where I was the APO 3...it wasn't funny o.but tank God sha..corpers are always involved in election becos they know we love money....corper wee

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by agabaI23(m): 8:46pm On Mar 20, 2016
egheleghe:

Definitely not
Oh really...? grin
Buhari is a saint..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Tunami(m): 8:58pm On Mar 20, 2016
thank God for the copper if not wike and amaechi thugs would have harmed them.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by uzedo1(m): 9:32pm On Mar 20, 2016
Nigerian politicians with there archaic mentality of I must win by all means.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by criminalmindz: 9:55pm On Mar 20, 2016
Apc apc apc apc apc CHAIN

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Flexherbal(m): 9:55pm On Mar 20, 2016
When are we going to have a free and fair election in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by yaki84: 10:10pm On Mar 20, 2016
missingrib:
remember the one that happened next month in Kaduna lere LGA to b precise where I was the APO 3...it wasn't funny o.but tank God sha..corpers are always involved in election becos they know we love money....corper wee

election happened nextmonth? who won?

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by akinyeleaa: 10:31pm On Mar 20, 2016
But why dis corper dey cover the party na, y not expose them. Anyways, na all parties useless sef.
But some corpers get mind o, rivers ke? Even Abia state wey i participate sef, na only presidential i get mind conduct, as e reach gov own, i pack ma kaya, go chop amala and ewedu for osun. Not after going thru school wahala would i wanna waste my life, at least not knowingly

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by otokx(m): 10:32pm On Mar 20, 2016
Corpse member indeed.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by ThankGodEdeh(m): 10:34pm On Mar 20, 2016
missingrib:
remember the one that happened next month in Kaduna lere LGA to b precise where I was the APO 3...it wasn't funny o.but tank God sha..corpers are always involved in election becos they know we love money....corper wee
Where in Lere L.G.A do you serve. I reside there.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by EdCure: 10:37pm On Mar 20, 2016
otokx:
Corpse member indeed.
SMH! That's a blogger for you.

Viviangist has to be the most mediocre, lazy blogger i've come across.

No depth, no substance, no originality. Just copy-and-paste junks.

13 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by sylva1(m): 10:39pm On Mar 20, 2016
Corpse member

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by NaLaugh: 10:40pm On Mar 20, 2016
Is this a zombie movie where corpses narrate their experiences? cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by ibkkk(f): 10:41pm On Mar 20, 2016
Afi "corpse" member naa.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by odiereke(m): 10:44pm On Mar 20, 2016
It's becoming more interesting
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by KahlDrogo(m): 10:48pm On Mar 20, 2016
Pennsylvania:
Sometimes I wonder why this corpers put their life on the line for practically no reason. The last thing I'll be doing as a corper is to be an INEC official in Rivers or places like Borno, Yobe etc. Your life isn't worth the risk! even before the election we could see how heated up Rivers State was, why put your life on the line again?
Had it been those that snatched the ballot box and other materials came with guys and shot y'all, we will be seeing graphic pix by now.
I repeat again: YOUR LIFE AS A CORPER ISN'T WORTH THE RISK of being a mere INEC official which they might not even pay you at the end of the day!
"Your life isn't worth the risk", or your life is worth more than the risk

Your english sef. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by tomakint: 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
I hope there would be elections in 2019!
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by vivavik(f): 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
Apc, Pdp, wike, amaechi, they are one and the same persons. Don't forget these men were tight friends if not for the quest of power, it's high time we say No to them and stand for it, no taking sides.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Mustay(m): 10:50pm On Mar 20, 2016
Did this so-called corps member go through orientation at all? Does the person know the guidelines containing talking to the press (which NYSC ought to update in this era of social media)? Or didn't INEC also conduct some trainings for you guys
Don't let some invisible likes or few minutes of fame on the internet override your sensibilities and INEC procedures in documenting the conduct of an election.

For those accusing the corps member of getting into unnecessary wahala, service year is a compulsory service offered to Nigeria. You do not decline government's posting although there are smart ways to excuse yourself. You are an available pool of resources for the government as it deems fit during NYSC year. Why make elections a battle?
Why don't we focus on politicians making their domain a battle ground? Elections aren't hard to conduct but our people make it hard!

If the corps member is working for INEC as an adhoc staff, I don't expect him or her to give out any party's name otherwise, your position as an umpire is in another 'empire state of mind' then.

Your story will be more useful at the courts and not social media. Whatever people say hear will not be valid in the court of law. I even understand the desperation of our politicians to bombard the media with false and unverified news so that when it's time for the electoral body to perform it's function of announcing results, these 'news' stand as basis for conspiracy theories. Let's make responsible use of the (social) media.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by optional1(f): 10:51pm On Mar 20, 2016
lol

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by rexington: 10:51pm On Mar 20, 2016
from the story that APO was tied up by APC. Andrew Uchendu is the APC Senatorial candidate and is from Emohua LGA. His rival George Sekibo is from Okrika LGA which is far from Emohua. From the statement of the APO they were to see a senatorial candidate who is from area.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide / Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Christians Protest Against Shettima In Front Of Aso Rock / PENGASSAN Confirms Return Of Fuel Subsidy Under Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.